1. Post #561
    December 2011
    163 Posts

Final texture, pls crits. Texture by bladeshot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #562
    January 2011
    1,593 Posts

Final texture, pls crits
    your final texture is too bright near the neck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #563
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    Hawfs workshop submission guidelines.
    - don't submit concepts, no one wants to go hunting for all the "actual" items in an ocean of photoshopped images from google.
    - don't submit incomplete/wip items. Only submit an item when it's ready. Don't worry about someone racing to submit a similar item. The one with the most effort will always stand out the most.
    - take time making your promotional images. They'll stand out amongst the rest.

May think of more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #564
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,291 Posts
    Hawfs workshop submission guidelines.
    - don't submit concepts, no one wants to go hunting for all the "actual" items in an ocean of photoshopped images from google.
    - don't submit incomplete/wip items. Only submit an item when it's ready. Don't worry about someone racing to submit a similar item. The one with the most effort will always stand out the most.
    - take time making your promotional images. They'll stand out amongst the rest.

May think of more
    those first two need to be legitimate rules on the workshop, maybe even make them bannable offenses (like, not being allowed to post items to the workshop for X timeframe)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #565
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    those first two need to be legitimate rules on the workshop, maybe even make them bannable offenses (like, not being allowed to post items to the workshop for X timeframe)
    Well we have direct contact with valve, why not run it by them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

6. Post #566
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,291 Posts
    I have a feeling they don't have the manpower to enforce it. :(

7. Post #567
    January 2008
    850 Posts
    I just had an idea but I can't do any modelling or art for it, Tiny is always talking about this "Little Rock", maybe someone could make a Little Rock courier?

Edit: Since Little Rock is probably like a small version of Tiny it might also be possible to make one that sits on his shoulder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Guernsey Show Events

8. Post #568
    April 2012
    85 Posts
    Edit: Since Little Rock is probably like a small version of Tiny it might also be possible to make one that sits on his shoulder.
    I doubt that Valve has any interest in anything as gimmicky as that so early on their item making cycle. I suggest making serious additions to the characters, not stupid crap. The rock courier idea is good, but the small version of Tiny sitting on his shoulder, not.

9. Post #569
    May 2011
    3,237 Posts
    I just had an idea but I can't do any modelling or art for it, Tiny is always talking about this "Little Rock", maybe someone could make a Little Rock courier?

Actually it's "Little Roc" who's a Tiny's "pet" bird.
    Theres no physical evidence of it tough, could make some sort of bird sitting on his shoulder etc.
    (Check his lore, I think little Roc was mentioned there)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

10. Post #570
    January 2010
    3,156 Posts
    Little Rock

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Friendly Friendly x 2Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #571
    May 2009
    1,661 Posts
    I keep seeying awp sniper,red morphling and green juggernaut submissions on the workshop.I hate to see people who know how to model but lack ideeas.How can I start modeling to show those goons what for?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

12. Post #572
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,593 Posts
    http://filesmelt.com/dl/img0031.png

Behold, me using a scanner because drawling with a mouse is a pain in the fucking ass.
    This would be for chaos knight, if I had any idea of anyone wanted to do this.

Could probably go without the symbol or the swirls but whatever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

13. Post #573
    April 2012
    85 Posts

Behold, me using a scanner because drawling with a mouse is a pain in the fucking ass.
    problem with this: think of the perspective of the game. You're not going to be able to see things like the swirl of the metal, the iron crescent, stripes, and such. Think about the scope of the project, not what you "want" to make.

edit: in other words, think big; think silouette-changing, don't think so small.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #574
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,593 Posts
    problem with this: think of the perspective of the game. You're not going to be able to see things like the swirl of the metal, the iron crescent, stripes, and such. Think about the scope of the project, not what you "want" to make.

edit: in other words, think big; think silouette-changing, don't think so small.
    Multiple items use small detail, currently chaos knight uses a blunt weapon. A broken sword is a blunt weapon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

15. Post #575
    April 2012
    85 Posts
    Multiple items use small detail, currently chaos knight uses a blunt weapon. A broken sword is a blunt weapon.
    Have fun then.

16. Post #576
    August 2011
    204 Posts
    it's coming along nicely, i agree with what someone said above - it's too fat, and not long enough - it's more of a club than a sword - a bit of elongation would be nice i think :) keep it up! :D

- While i'm writing, may as well ask if someone can link me to a good tutorial to find out about UV's and maybe what the hell normals are, haha cheers everyone.

Also maybe a quick second question, i've been trying to break down rikimaru's weapon, would someone please tell me how to break all the 'components' up to work on it?
    Thanks, I've made it a little thinner and wider in the latest iteration.

Also are you referring to normal maps, or polygon normals?

Lastly, this varies in modeling programs. In 3ds max there's an element select under Editable Poly. I am not sure about other programs, but valve has fortunately split sections of models into their own elements, so it should be fairly straightforward.

Sword is looking neat. I think the center section could be a little smaller/thinner. It also appears that the blade itself has quite a lot of various edges. Not sure if that's painted on, or the triangles are actually split up there. If the later is the case I would recommend cleaning that up and drawing those edges on instead.

The crown feels a little lumpy. I could also do with a little more detail to help flesh it out I think.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/img0031.png

Could probably go without the symbol or the swirls but whatever
    Drywall is right. You need to make sure those details stand out. Creating a lot of tiny details via actual polygons is not going to pay off, though with that being said there are quite a lot of weapons in game that have small details. You could simply model the swirl as a whole, versus a curved spike. In this case it could be a flat cylinder, and you could paint the swirl on to save triangles. Obviously the blade takes up 70% of visibility, whereas the hilt and handle share the final 30%. In this case, hilt: 20%, handle: 10%. If you take a look at valve weapons, the handles and hilt tend to be pretty basic. Anything under the handle is rarely seen.

17. Post #577
    May 2012
    125 Posts
    Final texture, pls crits. Texture by bladeshot
    I'd make the stripe itself more akin to the stripe on the head, with thicker black fading and slightly more jagged edge, like so:

The black outline as is looks a bit cartoonish. You might also stand to accentuate the dividing ridges even more with darker shading around the highlights. This is personal opinion, so take with grain of salt.

18. Post #578
    May 2011
    2,897 Posts

i need your help on what color combination that i should make. The gold lining must be there. The rest , im not happy about. Suggestions are welcome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Aruba Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

19. Post #579
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,303 Posts
    Gold and red.

If not, it actually looks really good how it is.

20. Post #580
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,005 Posts
    I can't stop seeing that extra-fangs thing on his nose as a moustache for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #581
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    962 Posts

You guys think this is better then our original mecha-mother?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #582
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,593 Posts
    Time for some more concept!

Very crude.

Edited:

Much better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

23. Post #583
    January 2010
    3,156 Posts

Somewhat, it's more fitting to the setting last one.

24. Post #584
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    962 Posts
    There's also this one, which do you think works better for the setting of the game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #585
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    Concept

Model Result

if I recall correctly TF2 had a $no_lipsync string or something in the scripts before valve shut down script mods
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

26. Post #586
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,172 Posts
    There's also this one, which do you think works better for the setting of the game?

It looks a little busy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brunei Darussalam Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #587
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,663 Posts
    No rest for Broodmother...

Workshop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

28. Post #588
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,303 Posts
    No, seriously. How the fuck do you guys paint so well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

29. Post #589
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    No, seriously. How the fuck do you guys paint so well?
    years of practice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #590

June 2012
    5 Posts
    . It also appears that the blade itself has quite a lot of various edges. Not sure if that's painted on, or the triangles are actually split up there. If the later is the case I would recommend cleaning that up and drawing those edges on instead.
    The edges are part of a procedural texture, thank you for the feedback!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

31. Post #591
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,625 Posts
    I would love to see more steampuck/futuristic versions of these characters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #592

June 2012
    14 Posts
    alrighty! so I only obtained maya a couple of days ago, and knew nothing of 3d modelling before that, but I thought i'd give omniknight's hammer a crack :)

The colouring will be as follows -
    The ring is a halo: imagine bright yellow - possibly with a glow if that's even possible
    Textured white wings are on the side of the hammer
    The rest of the colour scheme is blue white yellow - the majority being blue - think heaven themed

The backstory:
    Eons ago a religous war was raging on Earth, a young holy warrior championing for God was fighting with such valour that a young armourer angel Lailah, watching down from heaven, feel deeply in love with the human. She set to create the most powerful war-hammer to allow this warrior to vanquish even the most evil of foes. In order to do this, upon finishing the weapon, Lailah relinquished her halo, a mighty source of power, to the hammer, and in the process gave up her angel form to once again walk as a mortal so that she might be with her love.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efskb48x2e...mmer_forum.jpg

I would love some feedback please - and possibly some insight to whether the number of tris i have is allowed? thanks again guys, this modelling stuff is fun!

(also, if my img is broken someone please explain why! lol cheers:))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

33. Post #593
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    I would love to see more steampuck/futuristic versions of these characters.
    You better keep walkin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #594
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,485 Posts
    i want more brood items pls modeler friends
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #595
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    i want more brood items pls modeler friends
    Isn't brood one of your worst heroes ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #596
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,584 Posts
    Don't you constantly rage on some guy because apparently he is always hating on Boat?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #597
    May 2012
    125 Posts
    Blockout done, time to start the sculpt.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #598
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    Don't you constantly rage on some guy because apparently he is always hating on Boat?
    I'm just asking, I personally wouldn't want cosmetics for a hero I don't play greatly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

39. Post #599
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,485 Posts
    i practiced
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #600
    December 2009
    8,483 Posts
    Blockout done, time to start the sculpt.

Kinda reminds me of the girl from the film Martyrs, with the metal blindfold and underwear.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events