1. Post #481
    September 2010
    502 Posts
    I have an idea for a Darkseer set, but the nature of his model makes it hard to do a paintover.

The idea is a "Martial Artist Sensia" type, wearing a Grey-ish white Karategi, with a red blindfold and belt, and maybe red detailing on the Gi.
    To add to your Dark Seer idea, I was thinking give him some old samurai general robes/armor. and somehow, somehow work a helmet into that, maybe even flag(s) on his back spikes. He is a strategist after all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #482
    September 2011
    1,708 Posts
    Man his face shape makes it hard to draw the blindfold without it look like a black blob. The res tof him was so easy by comparison.

Edited:

To add to your Dark Seer idea, I was thinking give him some old samurai general robes/armor. and somehow, somehow work a helmet into that, maybe even flag(s) on his back spikes. He is a strategist after all
    Maybe like crossed-standards on his back?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

3. Post #483
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,311 Posts

I haven't been able to do the Blindfold because of the shape of his face, still working on it. How does he look so far?
    Spiffy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #484
    September 2011
    1,708 Posts

I considered doing the Standard-barer thing, but it didn't really work due to his tentacles on his back.

Edited:

"Sight is a crutch for those who are not true Seers."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

5. Post #485
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,816 Posts
    I like the idea behind it, but don't try to make it TOO samurai-ish, not only because we already have Juggernaut, but also because too much real life stuff would ruin the theme

basically, what this guy says

Guys, stop making *real life* stuff like egyptian stuff and roman stuff. Dota is fantasy, be creative MAKE UP lore if you have to. Just do something original. Try to steer clear of anything that isn't medieval. I'm not saying you shouldn't take inspiration from those kinds of designs. Just don't base your items entirely on them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #486
    September 2011
    1,708 Posts
    I like the idea behind it, but don't try to make it TOO samurai-ish, not only because we already have Juggernaut, but also because too much real life stuff would ruin the theme

basically, what this guy says
    It's really samurai-ish. He's just wearing a Gi.

7. Post #487
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,816 Posts
    I'm just saying that in case you try going for something else with that tone, you can always end up doing it right, but it may also go overboard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

8. Post #488
    September 2011
    1,708 Posts
    I'm just saying that in case you try going for something else with that tone, you can always end up doing it right, but it may also go overboard
    K brb gonna cover it with Kanji
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,311 Posts
    While I agree that the style of Dota 2 is fantasy/medieval, it's nobody's place to say what people can and cannot make. Just because it's made doesn't mean it's going to be part of the game.

People should have fun with their stuff and express their creativity. You can't exactly do that when you're limited to "fantasy."

On top of that, fantasy is a very broad genre. If someone was so inclined, they could make a Tron-themed item and it'd be fine because it's still fantasy. Just saying.

But yeah totally agree.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #490
    January 2010
    1,265 Posts
    I thought I'd help you out RagerTrader

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

11. Post #491
    September 2010
    502 Posts
    I thought I'd help you out RagerTrader

He needs no weapon.

change it to a fan. :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

12. Post #492
    September 2011
    1,708 Posts
    Idea for brewmaster-

Replace his Barrel with a Moonshine Jug.

Edited:

Hmm, if I did do a standard for him, what should it look like? The military he led in his world had no name/descriptive qualities, so I don't really have any idea what to do with it.

Edited:

Oh hi Alia, Haven't seen you on facepunch in a while.

How are those Female TF2 models going?

13. Post #493
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    You can put hard edges so when you back the AO you have the right blend that you need. Then after you're done, for the in-game LOD you just remove all of the edges. For the hi-res, hi-poly version, you do need these edges. For the in-game lod, it makes use of your normal map to generate the edges.
    I baked the normals on one of my swords with a separate smoothing group on the left/right side of the blade due to the angle being over 90 deg. I don't know if the smoothing got nuked but the game took a dump all over my normals on that thing (at least in the store shots). I'm wondering what happened in this case.

Anyone know if someone from Valve ever clarified whether the game accepts no hard edges, or if they just wanted to limit them when possible to reduce extra in game verts caused by normal/UV breaks?

Oh hi Alia, Haven't seen you on facepunch in a while.

How are those Female TF2 models going?
    Oh, hi! That's because I haven't been able to log into FP at work for the past week. It insists I'm putting in the wrong password and locks me out every time, lol. But yeah, I'm not really working on one at the moment. Got some fixes to do when I have time, though. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

14. Post #494
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,189 Posts

I haven't been able to do the Blindfold because of the shape of his face, still working on it. How does he look so far?
    I like it! Although I could see an executioner style cap or some such working on his head, or a headband. Blindfold seems a little odd for him.

EDIT: Wow, didn't see all the other posts, hurr. As far as brewmaster ideas go, I was planning on drawing out a robe or some such on him to see how that would look. His storm spirit has one, so I think it'd fit well enough. Also replacing his staff with a chain scythe might work pretty well too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

15. Post #495

June 2012
    7 Posts
    Wanted to congratulate everyone on the amount of great work here so far. And so i thought I'd chip in with a couple models. C&C very much welcome.
    The gun is starting to resemble a chainsaw gun from gears of war now, whoops! xD I'll attempt to create my own unique handle for the gun with a little more flourish once i get it into ZB.
    Next up is the Bugle to replace the telescope on kunkka's pocket.
    Still to come is the Ruff on his neck, hoping to bundle this one with the hat onto kunkka's shirt/head model.
    I'll probably end up creating some white boots seeing as they are exchangeable as well, it's a shame i couldn't make any changes to his jacket just yet... we'll see.

(click images for larger previews)
    Kunkka Patriot Gun Model & Concept Paint-Over

Kunkka Patriot Hat Model & Concept Paint-Over
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

16. Post #496
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,017 Posts
    Hawf, your decompiled PLancer doesn't actually come with the texture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #497
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    Hawf, your decompiled PLancer doesn't actually come with the texture.
    Tga's are in there. You might have to re assign them yourself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

18. Post #498

June 2012
    14 Posts
    alright! so i've been trying desperately to work this 3D modelling stuff out, completely brand spanking new to this stuff! I've got my hands on blender and maya, and all the other yummies for conversions and whatnot - and after extensive hours trying to import the .smd's to maya i was having 0 luck - mr. Hawtcoffee sir, would you please inform me as to how to go about "assigning" the tga's you so amazingly included in that PL conversion you did? i would be forever greatful :) thanks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

19. Post #499
    May 2010
    128 Posts
    I had some trouble with that too Alia. It does look as though your normals on that sword aren't rendering correctly, can you post your maps?

20. Post #500
    LIVE XXX TF2 ITEMS
    November 2011
    1,965 Posts
    Anyone know if someone from Valve ever clarified whether the game accepts no hard edges, or if they just wanted to limit them when possible to reduce extra in game verts caused by normal/UV breaks?
    They told us on the forums that there were absolutely NO hard edges. All normals are smoothed when the items are compiled for the game. Everything comes from a normal map. So all you need to do is use a model that has the hard edge along the edge of the sword, with a lower model that is completly smooth, and bake that normal map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

21. Post #501
    LIVE XXX TF2 ITEMS
    November 2011
    1,965 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

22. Post #502
    LIVE XXX TF2 ITEMS
    November 2011
    1,965 Posts
    -snop-

23. Post #503
    LIVE XXX TF2 ITEMS
    November 2011
    1,965 Posts
    -snap-

24. Post #504
    LIVE XXX TF2 ITEMS
    November 2011
    1,965 Posts
    -snerp-

25. Post #505
    Human Garbage
    June 2008
    9,738 Posts
    nice quintuple post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #506
    May 2012
    125 Posts
    Concepted a quick idea for Lifestealer; trying to push his prisoner theme. Though it seems both plain and rather busy. =\

I could probably just reduce and scale up the sphere greeble; will see if it looks any better once the model is blocked out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

27. Post #507
    Human Garbage
    June 2008
    9,738 Posts
    I like that, are you gonna be modeling it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

28. Post #508
    May 2012
    125 Posts
    Thanks and yep, that's the plan.

29. Post #509
    ZOEY SMITH
    November 2010
    3,881 Posts
    Oh god I am hopeless at normal maps.

But here have a lil quickie'

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #510
    April 2011
    2,656 Posts
    I redid the Sand King set headwear, tell me what do you think

(rape face ahead)

Low poly version and not even smoothed, but yeah. Sand is what form crystal, so an edgy sandking could look good.

Edited:

nice quintuple post
    P-P-P-Penta Kill-ill-ill
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #511
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,977 Posts
    Valve posted in the Axe critique thread that every normal gets averaged on export a week before we released, so I don't blame you for missing it. Just split that edge manually to force your original smoothing and it'll be swell. Or re-bake, up to you.

So all you need to do is use a model that has the hard edge along the edge of the sword, with a lower model that is completly smooth, and bake that normal map.
    What does this mean? If you have a normal map on your model, you should change the low poly normals as little as possible between LODs, or between what you bake with and what you use. Otherwise you run into the exact problem we're having of our models looking like ass.

32. Post #512
    August 2007
    391 Posts
    Oh wow, people like a terrible model that i did but they totally hate the other one that is actually decent.

I don't know what to think of the "workshop commenters" community

33. Post #513
    April 2011
    2,656 Posts
    Oh wow, people like a terrible model that i did but they totally hate the other one that is actually decent.

Welcome, and enjoy the dumbness
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events

34. Post #514
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,072 Posts
    next Item I submit I'll just delete every single comment regardless
    since there's no "disable comments" option
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

35. Post #515
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,207 Posts

The average person cares more about the idea than quality
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brunei Darussalam Show Events

36. Post #516
    August 2007
    391 Posts
    The average person cares more about the idea than quality
    Judging by the majority of the tf2 hats i guess valve is like 99% quality 1% fitting into the game

37. Post #517
    January 2010
    3,160 Posts
    Well here's the updated Razor set, anyone want to take a crack at it?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

38. Post #518
    LIVE XXX TF2 ITEMS
    November 2011
    1,965 Posts
    What does this mean? If you have a normal map on your model, you should change the low poly normals as little as possible between LODs, or between what you bake with and what you use. Otherwise you run into the exact problem we're having of our models looking like ass.
    Ugh, what I'm saying is simple. You know how to bake normal maps, don't you? Use a high poly that has hard edges, and bake that to your smoothed low poly. It's not complicated.

39. Post #519
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,207 Posts
    Judging by the majority of the tf2 hats i guess valve is like 99% quality 1% fitting into the game

nah. Conquistador.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brunei Darussalam Show Events

40. Post #520
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    nah. Conquistador.
    That's 1% quality and 49% fitting into the game and 50% stolen from The Ritz.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)