1. Post #521
    ZOEY SMITH
    November 2010
    3,886 Posts

I don't know.

Click the image and stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #522
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,380 Posts
    (referring to last page not Sexy Robot's weapon): How the hell does everyone paint so well? It ruins my self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #523
    LIVE XXX TF2 ITEMS
    November 2011
    2,005 Posts
    (referring to last page not Sexy Robot's weapon): How the hell does everyone paint so well? It ruins my self-esteem.
    It has a lot to do with good colour selection. I can't paint for shit either! :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #524
    Ask me about Dullahans
    November 2009
    2,093 Posts

Relevant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #525
    April 2011
    2,657 Posts

Does anyone wants to help me with the high poly version of this? I can mae it high poly using blender, but Im not that good sculpting, and i have no time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events

6. Post #526
    LIVE XXX TF2 ITEMS
    November 2011
    2,005 Posts

Does anyone wants to help me with the high poly version of this? I can mae it high poly using blender, but Im not that good sculpting, and i have no time
    I'll help you with it.

Glad you decided to make some accessories for his head, instead of a new head. It's looking really nice!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

7. Post #527
    October 2011
    15 Posts
    snip

8. Post #528
    April 2011
    2,657 Posts
    I'll help you with it.

Glad you decided to make some accessories for his head, instead of a new head. It's looking really nice!
    Thanks man! Im guess halp from the maker of 22 items will be enough ;)

I will finish the other thing soon too.

9. Post #529
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,924 Posts
    Silly Ogre Magi ideas;
    "Hear no evil, see no evil"
    A belt/hachimaki worn around one of the heads eyes, and ear plugs worn on the other head.

Alternatively, a headband worn around one of their eyes like what a martial artist would use to train himself, described "While removing your own sight can enhance your other senses, it doesn't quite work when you have four eyes" or something. Has styles so either head can wear it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

10. Post #530
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    810 Posts
    guys

make a cool long hair for balanar. he'll look so fucking awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

11. Post #531
    Ask me about Dullahans
    November 2009
    2,093 Posts
    Chaos knight better be modular
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

12. Post #532
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,598 Posts
    Make a skeleton horse for Chaos Knight. Please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

13. Post #533
    May 2011
    2,915 Posts
    It was comforting to know that Robin is optimistic that the negativity of the community about the initial items is just for now. He is sure that they will "warm-up" to our creations as the workshop goes on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Aruba Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #534

June 2012
    3 Posts
    It was comforting to know that Robin is optimistic that the negativity of the community about the initial items is just for now. He is sure that they will "warm-up" to our creations as the workshop goes on.
    That's not why we're upset. We're upset because only those with the technical skills and know-how got a head start on the workshop, while everyone else has to struggle, such as myself.

This is what I'm working on for Skeleton King right now

Whats all this talk about "normal maps" I keep hearing?

15. Post #535
    May 2011
    2,915 Posts
    That's not why we're upset. We're upset because only those with the technical skills and know-how got a head start on the workshop, while everyone else has to struggle, such as myself.
    i can't speak for valve really. All i know some of us got invited to do some work, and some like cuntsman got invited by other contributors. Me and Psyke, svdl and alia are some of the first ones invited in and then the rest joined. We all had to start from scratch and struggle like you did. It took us a few weeks before everything got up and running smoothly.

And you have to give valve a pass there too. They wanted stuff done right as soon as possible so i wont blame them if they made sure that the people that they would be asked to work on the items already had experience and the know-how to do so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Aruba Show Events

16. Post #536
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    476 Posts
    This is more directed towards Ronin and friends, but has Valve commented on the specifics for the ability modifiers? Are there any guidelines for making alternate Treants/Juggernaut wards/Warlock demons/Brood Spiderlings, etc?

17. Post #537
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    They told us on the forums that there were absolutely NO hard edges. All normals are smoothed when the items are compiled for the game. Everything comes from a normal map. So all you need to do is use a model that has the hard edge along the edge of the sword, with a lower model that is completely smooth, and bake that normal map.
    Yeah, that's what I wasn't clear on. They also said at one point that they were allowed, which is a pretty significant difference. Thanks for the protip, but I know how to use normal maps. Which brings me to:

Ugh, what I'm saying is simple. You know how to bake normal maps, don't you? Use a high poly that has hard edges, and bake that to your smoothed low poly. It's not complicated.
    Actually, it is more complicated than that. Trying to use normal maps to simulate smoothing groups on geometry with angles 90 deg. and sharper is a pretty retarded thing to do, as it will not compensate properly and leave you with ugly artifacting. Using smoothing groups with normal maps is pretty standard procedure and can easily cause some confusion if it's not made clear. He has a valid point, though he probably thinks you're referring to LODs or something. No need to be an ass.

Valve posted in the Axe critique thread that every normal gets averaged on export a week before we released, so I don't blame you for missing it. Just split that edge manually to force your original smoothing and it'll be swell. Or re-bake, up to you.
    Yeah, I tried baking all on one smoothing group originally and I think I'd have to add more geometry than if I just broke the edges there. I've been so busy, I hardly had time to keep up with all those threads. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #538

June 2012
    14 Posts
    alright! so i posted here yesterday to try to get some help on assigning, but alas noone cared haha - i stayed up until 3am doggedly trying different things in maya then BOOM found it - pretty excited. My question now (my apologies for the noob question considering this is a 'pro' 3d forum) but i have Zbrush, would it be wiser for me to learn how to model well in zbrush, or just maya? - thanks if anyone can give me a hint! cheers :)

One last thing, are the textures on my pl the right ones? - because i had to convert the tga to jpg because i was getting

// Warning: Failed to open texture file c:/users/jono/desktop/decompiled phantomlancer/phantom_lancer_spear_color.tga //
    // Error: Image conversion (to IFF) failed //

Cheers again
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a0g1ei577zymg5/pl-forum.jpg

(i can't get the image handlers to work, so there's the link)

19. Post #539
    May 2011
    2,915 Posts
    This is more directed towards Ronin and friends, but has Valve commented on the specifics for the ability modifiers? Are there any guidelines for making alternate Treants/Juggernaut wards/Warlock demons/Brood Spiderlings, etc?
    No mention of such i read of.

Edited:

alright! so i posted here yesterday to try to get some help on assigning, but alas noone cared haha - i stayed up until 3am doggedly trying different things in maya then BOOM found it - pretty excited. My question now (my apologies for the noob question considering this is a 'pro' 3d forum) but i have Zbrush, would it be wiser for me to learn how to model well in zbrush, or just maya? - thanks if anyone can give me a hint! cheers :)

One last thing, are the textures on my pl the right ones? - because i had to convert the tga to jpg because i was getting

// Warning: Failed to open texture file c:/users/jono/desktop/decompiled phantomlancer/phantom_lancer_spear_color.tga //
    // Error: Image conversion (to IFF) failed //

Cheers again
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a0g1ei577zymg5/pl-forum.jpg

(i can't get the image handlers to work, so there's the link)
    If you have the time and patience to learn Maya, you should do that. It's the current industry standard. Otherwise you may end up like me who learned Blender and couldnt find the time to and circumstance to learn Maya.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Aruba Show Events

20. Post #540
    January 2010
    3,163 Posts
    Not really getting a lot of feedback on my ideas so I sent the dota2 an email asking if they'll make a guide/guideline for dota 2 item making, and if my items are a step in the right direction. I guess if I don't get a response, I'll just end up trying to model them myself.

21. Post #541

June 2012
    14 Posts
    No mention of such i read of.

Edited:

If you have the time and patience to learn Maya, you should do that. It's the current industry standard. Otherwise you may end up like me who learned Blender and couldnt find the time to and circumstance to learn Maya.
    Thanks ronin for the quick reply, i'm trying to get some stuff underway for a rikimaru item, maya is just doing my head in with all the convoluted import/export texture and uv mapping nonsense, i should probs sit down and follow some tutorials, but i have exams in 2 days haha - yay for procrastination

22. Post #542
    Ask me about Dullahans
    November 2009
    2,093 Posts
    Already drawing up some chaos knight concepts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

23. Post #543
    August 2011
    204 Posts
    Yo guys, been modeling for a while now and decided to hop on the item train. I'm planning on making a set for Skeleton King, currently only have a sword and crown though (crown not ready yet for primetime).

Any feedback guys? I am going for a royal set for him. Emphasize on his kingly'/manly-ness. The hilt hasn't been texture yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #544
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,992 Posts
    i think they sword is too thick, looks more like a club than a sword.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #545
    August 2011
    204 Posts
    i think they sword is too thick, looks more like a club than a sword.
    I just checked the width right now, it's actually the same as the stock skeleton king blade.

A little thinner would look better though. Maybe make it wider and thinner?

EDIT

Tried thinner, looks better I think: Top is new, bottom is old

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #546
    February 2008
    310 Posts
    I'm sorry, but that concerns me a little, sounds like they will end up adding items like Ursa anyway later on after the "fuss" has died down.

I don't mean to be negative, because both Ursa's set and the brood set were actually very well made and would have taken a lot of time to make. But did no one at any point during the conception sit back and think "hey this bear with a hat looks really quite silly and goofy and doesn't fit with the themes of the game" or look at brood and think "mechanical spider might be ok, but the design is so smooth and futuristic it looks like its out of portal".

The community response on those items was completely and totally predictable, people have complained about what happened to TF2 for ages, and it surprises me a little that Valve artists and the item designers chose to ignore that and put so much effort into the items anyway :S

27. Post #547

June 2012
    5 Posts
    Any feedback guys? I am going for a royal set for him. Emphasize on his kingly'/manly-ness. The hilt hasn't been texture yet.
    Funny, that's what I am doing too! :) I like your take on the sword, the golden pattern is really cool!

For my part, I have just the models for now, posted the crown a few posts ago.
    For the weapon, I decided to go with a scepter/sword hybrid to emphatize its regality.
    I will work on the textures if you people like the idea. I would really appreciate some feedback!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

28. Post #548
    Dreams of chronic and sustained critglows.
    December 2010
    17,011 Posts
    This Riki set idea brought to you by my 13 year old brother who mains Riki, but thinks he kind of looks funny

The King's Kunai: Passed down to Riki from his late father, this set of farming tools prove to be potent weapons when used from the shadows
    Shadow Dweller's Mask: No stealthy assassin is complete without his tight fitting, mesh based silk face covering. Comes with matching head band.
    Shadow Dweller's Silks: A sinister looking set of matching shirt and pants. Made of only the finest Brood silk.
    The Smoke of Old: Purple jars of smoke are overrated. Show them how the ancestors did it with this cork and wood based ball of smoke! It's like you're 200 years younger!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

29. Post #549
    May 2011
    2,915 Posts
    I'm sorry, but that concerns me a little, sounds like they will end up adding items like Ursa anyway later on after the "fuss" has died down.

I don't mean to be negative, because both Ursa's set and the brood set were actually very well made and would have taken a lot of time to make. But did no one at any point during the conception sit back and think "hey this bear with a hat looks really quite silly and goofy and doesn't fit with the themes of the game" or look at brood and think "mechanical spider might be ok, but the design is so smooth and futuristic it looks like its out of portal".

The community response on those items was completely and totally predictable, people have complained about what happened to TF2 for ages, and it surprises me a little that Valve artists and the item designers chose to ignore that and put so much effort into the items anyway :S
    It was a short conversation, suffice to say and i didn't bother Robin as much knowing he might be busy and i may look like a total butt to bug him. If it's any consolation, the Dota team held off on the Ursa because they saw and predicted the workshop market. They initially thought it is too soon to introduce the more outlandish items. That indicates that they listen to the community and are aware of what they say. True, they may add these sooner or later but there really isnt much we can do other than NOT to make such items for the workshop (if youre a contributor) But hey, who am i to tell people not to make fun items, i'm guilty of that too. If there is one thing i can ask, it's to try and make dota 2 items that fit what the genre and game.

I do think though that the alpine ursa is not the much far off from the fantasy theme of dota. It's just too grounded to a real-life trope and thats what's ruffling people at the moment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Aruba Show Events

30. Post #550
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,833 Posts
    Yo guys, been modeling for a while now and decided to hop on the item train. I'm planning on making a set for Skeleton King, currently only have a sword and crown though (crown not ready yet for primetime).

A steel breastplate. A crown helmet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

31. Post #551
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,917 Posts
    I'm kinda sick, those not a lot of effort went into this (It's not even drawn by me at this point)

But how does this look for a WIP design, I'm thinking the colours on the shoulders are off.

I'll have a better PS job tomorrow (or whenever I feel not-so-shit), that's just temporary
    Isn't that just the T2 Paladin armor from WoW

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 3 (list)

32. Post #552
    April 2011
    6,363 Posts

It is.

And it looks horrible on him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #553

As I said in my post, I was ill on that day, didn't have time to draw up a concept, but the concept i have in mind if closely inspired by that, just not, you know. The same (As it shown in that picture)

Edited:

I mean jesus, I thought i was pretty straight forward in my post

34. Post #554
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,854 Posts

Personally, I don't like the textures on the first sword

and I suppose the second sword is the one without a colored hilt? Because it looks weird right now

35. Post #555
    LIVE XXX TF2 ITEMS
    November 2011
    2,005 Posts
    Actually, it is more complicated than that. Trying to use normal maps to simulate smoothing groups on geometry with angles 90 deg. and sharper is a pretty retarded thing to do, as it will not compensate properly and leave you with ugly artifacting. Using smoothing groups with normal maps is pretty standard procedure and can easily cause some confusion if it's not made clear. He has a valid point, though he probably thinks you're referring to LODs or something. No need to be an ass.
    Do you think if you split the UV's on a 'hard edge' and each side had a different color in the normal map, it would be effective enough?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #556

February 2010
    3,109 Posts
    Someone should try concept Gyrocopter, now that it's released.

Needs a few modifications on the copter, though. Making it bigger, with bigger wings, give it the bomb and some kind of jet engine in the hull to justify the lift thrust.

This thing looks so awesome, i wonder why they decided to scrap it, even the suit alone would make me happy, if someone did it.

37. Post #557

June 2012
    14 Posts

it's coming along nicely, i agree with what someone said above - it's too fat, and not long enough - it's more of a club than a sword - a bit of elongation would be nice i think :) keep it up! :D

- While i'm writing, may as well ask if someone can link me to a good tutorial to find out about UV's and maybe what the hell normals are, haha cheers everyone.

Also maybe a quick second question, i've been trying to break down rikimaru's weapon, would someone please tell me how to break all the 'components' up to work on it?

38. Post #558

June 2012
    5 Posts
    Here is a texturing attempt. Please don't be too harsh, this is my first real texturing. :) Any suggestions?
    I am still working on it, but I'd rather have some feedback! I am thinking of modeling a few stones on top of the sceptre and then bake them, do you think that would be a good idea?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

39. Post #559
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    Do you think if you split the UV's on a 'hard edge' and each side had a different color in the normal map, it would be effective enough?
    Probably not. The smoothing information isn't going to give you a good result on a hard edge with an extreme angle like that, even if you break the UVs. You could try it, but that seems like a weird way to do things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #560
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,854 Posts
    gyro has lots of potential for items, since he can wear things such as glasses and hats, but you can also modify his plane and bombs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)