1. Post #1
    March 2011
    621 Posts
    Back in mah day we didn't need no interweb connection or subscription on a console to play multiplayer games, because we had AI controlled teammates and enemies!

Seriously that seems to be what all games are missing now, any good game that comes out no matter how long it took to be developed and whoever developed it doesn't and won't make any type of Bot support (except for valve, they seem to add bots to any game with multiplayer), and i know of some good and awesome games with bot support like UT2004 and Jedi knight:jedi academy

But i haven't even found any newer PC/360/PS3 game with Bot support cept

Killzone 2 and 3
    Black ops (yeah i know it's COD but even it had bot support)
    Gears of war 2 and 3
    CSS (still play it but kinda getting bored of it)

Really, what happened to Bot support? back then when i heard of bot support for a game that comes out i would think of it as a needed feature, but now because i don't nearly see it as much when i do figure out a game is gonna have Bots i get excited, where did they go?

mah list of games with offline/multiplayer bots
    Battlefield 1942
    Battlefield 2
    Battlefield 2142
    Black ops
    Counter strike series
    Day of Defeat source
    DOTA 2
    Doom
    Gears of war 2 and 3
    Killzone 2 and 3
    Killing floor (not in game, but as an addon for it)
    Perfect dark series
    Red faction II
    Star wars battlefront
    Star wars battlefront 2
    Star wars:jedi outcast
    Star wars:jedi academy
    Team fortress 2
    Tribes 2
    Timesplitters 2
    Timesplitters future perfect
    Unreal series
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 58Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2009
    756 Posts
    dont they take up a lot of processing power?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 46Funny Funny x 10Disagree Disagree x 8 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,988 Posts
    Team Fortress 2 has bots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    March 2011
    621 Posts
    It does, that's one of the reasons i love valve because any game with multiplayer they'll put in bot support

But it almost feels like they are the only one's making bots for multiplayer and even for offline mode
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    7,923 Posts
    Bot support is no longer seen as necessary, as we live in an era where fast Internet connections are ubiquitous, and the number of people who play multiplayer games offline is minimal. More importantly, bot support takes time and effort to program, especially in more complex games. Getting bots to play Counter-Strike, where they just need to shoot and accomplish objectives, is one thing, but making them effective at, say, TF2, with its myriad items and very involved class-counter strategy, is very different.

I don't mean to sound flippant, but why don't you just play online?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree x 44Dumb x 12Agree x 9Funny x 2Optimistic x 1Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,158 Posts
    Because with bots you can fuck around with consoles and stuff.

I also miss bots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

7. Post #7
    March 2011
    621 Posts
    Because with bots you can fuck around with consoles and stuff.
    is it wrong that i think your avatar fits what you said?

nmv i like this post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    February 2012
    2,793 Posts
    I can think of tones of games that should of needed offline multilayer or bots.

Fuck you Lost Planet 2 I wanted to explore the maps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    March 2011
    621 Posts
    I can think of tones of games that should of needed offline multilayer or bots.

Fuck you Lost Planet 2 I wanted to explore the maps
    The halo multiplayer would be so much funner for me with customizable bots

actually there's alot of games that i want with bots, even if it would be impossible to have them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    officer shitpost
    February 2011
    545 Posts
    CS:GO also has bots. Sadly if I can remember the reason that bots are appearing less and less in games nowadays is because publishers deem them as a waste of time and money. Their mindset is "Why invest in something that can prolong a games lifespan when you can get users switch to the next big thing after the old games multiplayer community has died"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,359 Posts
    Battlefield 3 needs to have bots like the older ones. Good way to test out equipment and to fuck around with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28 (list)

12. Post #12
    March 2011
    621 Posts
    Battlefield 3 needs to have bots like the older ones. Good way to test out equipment and to fuck around with.
    this

it also annoys me how when i used to play Battlefield 2 and 2142 and you couldn't rank up and get new things when fighting against bots......at least i don't think you could, i don't remember, haven't played them in a couple of years
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,454 Posts
    The thing that bothers me even more is the slew of games getting released for consoles which indicate a strong emphasis on 4-player co-op (like Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, the zombie modes in CoD) but you can only play with two (or one) players offline, and in order to play with more people, you need to go online.

The fact that it so often emphasizes 4-player co-op is just like a big fucking insult.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,760 Posts
    It's really hard to make basic, Half Life level AI and add nodes around a map when you can just as easily take 80% of the content from your prior release, mash it together with a new gimmick, and release Battlefield of Duty: Modern Honor.
    The thing that bothers me even more is the slew of games getting released for consoles which indicate a strong emphasis on 4-player co-op (like Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, the zombie modes in CoD) but you can only play with two (or one) players offline, and in order to play with more people, you need to go online.

The fact that it so often emphasizes 4-player co-op is just like a big fucking insult.
    This has more to do with the consoles limited graphical and rendering capability.

To get modern, AAA titles running with 4 screens on one output requires immense optimization that only a few titles support, namely Halo and uh, Halo?
    this

it also annoys me how when i used to play Battlefield 2 and 2142 and you couldn't rank up and get new things when fighting against bots......at least i don't think you could, i don't remember, haven't played them in a couple of years
    You couldn't rank up fighting bots but you could just as easly download a mod that unlocked everything client side. That's what I did in 2142 to test shit before I unlocked it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,891 Posts
    DOTA 2 has bots. No need to do fancy console commands.

they're also hard as shit   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2010
    3,963 Posts

It is also a    Valve game   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,234 Posts

Yet again, Valve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    July 2009
    4,630 Posts
    Conker's Bad Fur Day for N64 had the best bots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,234 Posts
    Damn ninja.

Edit: Fuck's sake
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,526 Posts
    didn't blops have bots in combat training or w/e?

why can't they add them to mw3, it's not like it's a radically different game

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,454 Posts
    This has more to do with the consoles limited graphical and rendering capability.

To get modern, AAA titles running with 4 screens on one output requires immense optimization that only a few titles support, namely Halo and uh, Halo?
    I can see that, but unless their console port/co-op mode was a last-minute thought, they should have planned long in advance to meet the requirements of 4-player modes. Especially if 4-player co-op is their biggest selling point.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member

May 2011
    585 Posts

MW3 Is running in a slight newer enigne (MW2) Than Black ops (COD4)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    AJA
    September 2011
    3,293 Posts
    It's still the same engine (Quake). Also, I would love to see bots in games again. The only reason why I still have Blops is because of that, It makes it fun to test out some stuff and you don't want people fucking you over badly.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,746 Posts
    I wanted to mention Jedi Academy's bots, awesome that you already used it as an example. Those bots were awesome. Depending on the difficulty, they could be pretty hard to kill. It was even possible to choose the strenght of each added bot indiviually. They were always pretty neat for some training or just to fuck around a bit. I miss those days.

We need more bots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    September 2007
    3,864 Posts

Blops combat training was really a sweet feature. If you lose internet for a prolonged period of time you could put em on veteran+ and it would feel just like online. They also named the bots after people on your friends list which was always pretty cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,955 Posts
    If you have bots, you can pretty much play MP in offline, without using the publisher's/console's online service (like paying for XBL). Obviously MS doesn't like that idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 20Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    October 2011
    508 Posts
    I remember those days when bots did chat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 29Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    May 2011
    2,707 Posts
    I still play Doom on Skulltag with bots occasionally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    I'll donate $1,000 to a site that's based around chance but not $1 to a site that provides a community service :C
    February 2007
    33,087 Posts
    Bots and Cheat codes seem to be dying breeds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 37 (list)

30. Post #30
    November 2010
    2,678 Posts
    I believe that Red Orchestra 2 had bots, too. Also, sadly, the most possible answer to the question asked by the OP is that bots prolong a game's lifespan - and the publishers don't want that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    July 2009
    4,630 Posts
    How the fuck are we forgetting Star Wars Battlefront?!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,526 Posts
    how are we forgetting multiplayer bots in SC and SC2?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    March 2011
    621 Posts
    And if anything i expected that users or mod developers would make bot addons but the only bot addon i found for a game was killing floor

It sucks really, bots shouldn't have to be a dead game feature, especially with what we can do with games now

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,482 Posts
    Added like 2 years after release.

Edited:

Bot support is no longer seen as necessary, as we live in an era where fast Internet connections are ubiquitous, and the number of people who play multiplayer games offline is minimal. More importantly, bot support takes time and effort to program, especially in more complex games. Getting bots to play Counter-Strike, where they just need to shoot and accomplish objectives, is one thing, but making them effective at, say, TF2, with its myriad items and very involved class-counter strategy, is very different.

I don't mean to sound flippant, but why don't you just play online?
    Bots allow you to continue playing a game long after the multiplayer has effectively died out.

Battlezone II's multiplayer is now populated by like twenty people who play in ~exclusive~ games, but I can still play it (and all its online mods with bot support) in the online mode with bots, or with players and bots at the same time.

35. Post #35
    March 2011
    621 Posts
    I want a game like rainbow six, where you control a team and it's just as difficult but you can customize yourself and the other teammembers and give each one a different role/class

but of course if it does exist whoever develops it won't have any AI Squadmates and it'd be multiplayer only....

cept if valve made a game like that

36. Post #36
    Here I sit, I am elated, Came to shit, Ejaculated
    December 2010
    908 Posts
    I imagine that they're stuck behind some piece of terrain
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    September 2010
    1,941 Posts
    Even earlier on in a game's lifespan, Bots are a good way to let loose if you're having trouble in normal multiplayer, they're also really fun to dick around with while playing with a couple of friends.

However, as has been said, a lot of the more morally bankrupt publishers don't want future-proofing. They want to be able to make a sequel in one or two years and close off multiplayer access to the previous game to make people think "Oh, well I can't play that now, guess I just have to buy the sequel". EA has been doing this for a long-ass time now, but most publishers are doing it nowadays.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,326 Posts
    I wanted to mention Jedi Academy's bots, awesome that you already used it as an example. Those bots were awesome. Depending on the difficulty, they could be pretty hard to kill. It was even possible to choose the strenght of each added bot indiviually. They were always pretty neat for some training or just to fuck around a bit. I miss those days.
    that owned. I remember setting it so I had a huge team of weak bots against one super tough bot. That was fun.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,358 Posts
    What happened to you, games industry? You sold out. It used to be about the FUN!

But seriously, this shit pisses me off. Every game needs bots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    March 2011
    621 Posts
    What happened to you, games industry? You sold out. It used to be about the FUN!

But seriously, this shit pisses me off. Every game needs bots.
    Even though it's completely impossible, multiplayer bots for GTA4 where you can customize their behavior so they'll do different stuff (like one can go on a rampage or make a group follow you) would be wicked

but still that would be impossible

Like seriously i don't have to explain how impossible it would be for a big sandbox game to run a few bots all over the area without a crapton of bugs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)