1. Post #2041
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,305 Posts
    Fucking Marmalade. x86 Debug/Release run fine and the ARM7 simulator runs fine but I get a segfault with no stack trace when I run on my Android Device.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2042
    February 2008
    460 Posts
    I put pulserlike inputs and text entities in the game, and then.. well.

Made purely with the level editor.

looks unprofessional with such an awful typo

it's spelt "r-a-r-i-t-y", fyi
    Oh god, WAYWO too? There's no safe place anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34Funny Funny x 2Late Late x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #2043
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Fucking Marmalade. x86 Debug/Release run fine and the ARM7 simulator runs fine but I get a segfault with no stack trace when I run on my Android Device.
    Install a debug build on your device and check the log with adb logcat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

4. Post #2044
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts

(points if you know what game this is from, bonus points if you read it in his voice)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #2045

August 2007
    550 Posts

(points if you know what game this is from, bonus points if you read it in his voice)
    That logo makes me think Marathon?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #2046
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,305 Posts
    Install a debug build on your device and check the log with adb logcat
    I've tried that, I get no information except for a segfault and a bunch of register dumps, etc. It has a stack trace but it's full of numbers and I don't know how to trace back to source code.

I'm currently looking into other cross platform mobile libraries
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

7. Post #2047
    August 2008
    1,847 Posts
    I hate ponies too but can you at least, I dunno, wait until it drags on for a page or such before lighting fires?

Going back to lurking.

(his title at the time was "rainbow dash best pony" for context but it still applies here)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #2048
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    I've tried that, I get no information except for a segfault and a bunch of register dumps, etc. It has a stack trace but it's full of numbers and I don't know how to trace back to source code.

I'm currently looking into other cross platform mobile libraries
    Are you sure you actually deployed the *debug* build to the device? There has to be *some* Marmalade output in the log.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

9. Post #2049
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,305 Posts
    Are you sure you actually deployed the *debug* build to the device? There has to be *some* Marmalade output in the log.
    Yeah I'm sure its the debug version.

Sometimes it doesn't even say segfault, the app just dies:

I/marmalade(12558): 29/05/12 18:20:11.514: [0xfa0] done adding queue point
    I/marmalade(12558): 29/05/12 18:20:11.515: [0xfa0] Queued Dummy Point
    I/ActivityManager( 181): Process com.mycompany.project (pid 12558) has died.
    Fucking bullshit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #2050
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Programming King Programming King x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #2051
    October 2011
    943 Posts
    - snip awesomeness -
    I was going to reply "what happens if you walk into the portal" and then you walked into the portal!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #2052
    Facepunch Staff
    March 2010
    2,526 Posts
    One problem I've always had with making portals is when the camera is exactly in the middle of a portal, how do you solve the problem of the near clipping plane touching the portal plane, ruining the whole illusion?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #2053
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,167 Posts
    Does this look like the right sort of interface for a component based entity system?

using System;

using OpenTK;

using Zombles.Geometry;
    using Zombles.Entities;

namespace Zombles.Scripts
    {
        public class CorePlugin : Plugin
        {
            private Entity myEnt;

protected override void OnInitialize()
            {
                Entity.Register( "human", delegate( City city )
                {
                    Entity ent = Entity.Create( city );
                    Render r = ent.AddComponent<Render>();
                    r.Size = new Vector2( 0.5f, 1.0f );
                    r.SetTexture( "human_stand_s" );
                    return ent;
                } );

Entity.Register( "zombie", delegate( City city )
                {
                    Entity ent = Entity.Create( city );
                    Render r = ent.AddComponent<Render>();
                    r.Size = new Vector2( 0.5f, 1.0f );
                    r.SetTexture( "zombie_stand_s" );
                    return ent;
                } );
            }

protected override void OnCityGenerated()
            {
                City city = ( Game.CurrentScene as GameScene ).City;
                Random rand = new Random();

for ( int i = 0; i < 13325; ++i )
                {
                    myEnt = Entity.Create( "zombie", city );
                    myEnt.Position = new Vector3( rand.NextSingle() * city.Width, 0.0f, rand.NextSingle() * city.Height );
                    myEnt.Spawn();
                }
            }

protected override void OnThink( double dt )
            {
                myEnt.GetComponent<Render>().TextureIndex = (ushort) ( (int) ( Game.Time * 4.0 ) % 4 + 4 );
            }
        }
    }

Edited:

13,325 zombies! Your move.

62,500 zombies. check & mate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #2054
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    One problem I've always had with making portals is when the camera is exactly in the middle of a portal, how do you solve the problem of the near clipping plane touching the portal plane, ruining the whole illusion?
    Render the portal with the inside of an extruded box
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

15. Post #2055
    Facepunch Staff
    March 2010
    2,526 Posts
    Hmm I find that hard to imagine, would you do it all the time or just when you're just about to touch the portal?

This is how far i got with portals if anyone wants to mess around with it
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/99765/portals.rar

v for noclip, left and right mouse to place portals
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

16. Post #2056
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Hmm I find that hard to imagine, would you do it all the time or just when you're just about to touch the portal?
    Only when you're "going through it" - render the inside of a box extruded back a tiny bit more than the camera's near-clip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #2057
    Facepunch Staff
    March 2010
    2,526 Posts
    That's genius, thanks!

Excited about your project, I'm pretty sure Portalized got me started wanting to learn programming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #2058

April 2012
    87 Posts
    it already looks better than pseudoform!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #2059
    July 2009
    7,152 Posts
    That's awesome layla! Keep up the good work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events

20. Post #2060
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    419 Posts

This is how far i got with portals if anyone wants to mess around with it
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/99765/portals.rar

v for noclip, left and right mouse to place portals
    Mind sharing the source?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

21. Post #2061
    Person
    June 2008
    5,590 Posts
    This had better not end up like pseuodoform.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

22. Post #2062
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    This had better not end up like pseuodoform.
    Nope. I'm looking for a talent graphics designer (or overall creative mind) to help me take the project from tech demo to actual game people wanna play
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #2063
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,528 Posts
    Well, so I got the world framework for my XNA "MMO" (I use MMO lightly, but you know what I mean) pretty much done.

Today I...

Set up my MySQL server,
    Set up Lidgren to handle client-server interactions,
    and got the dedicated server up and working

Tomorrow I'm going to be porting my old singleplayer code over the online version... Once that happens it will be a huge milestone!

24. Post #2064
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,506 Posts
    Ugh, flat shading looks bad.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #2065
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,956 Posts
    Just been testing an old multiplayer game me and a friend made some time back. We only ever tested it with 2 players, so we decided to dig it up randomly and try it with 6 players. It worked!

It's a turn based strategy. Can't remember if I posted it here before or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #2066

April 2012
    87 Posts
    Nope. I'm looking for a talent graphics designer (or overall creative mind)
    you're in the wrong subforum
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 9Agree Agree x 6 (list)

27. Post #2067
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,835 Posts
    Nope. I'm looking for a talent graphics designer (or overall creative mind) to help me take the project from tech demo to actual game people wanna play
    Just sent you a PM with my portfolio. Let me know, I'd love to help you with the project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #2068
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,506 Posts
    Phong shading... Also looks bad? Hm...

http://i50.tinypic.com/2mw5l36.png

I have one last plan. Things could get dangerous.

EDIT: I think this is good enough. This is a pretty weird way to do surface normals, but I guess it works. I'm storing them to a texture. Actually, wait, that means I can use the texture with a LOD system and it would look pretty good. I like when stuff works out.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

29. Post #2069
    fuck
    February 2011
    441 Posts
    How about actually smoothing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #2070
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,506 Posts
    How about actually smoothing?
    Helpful advice, I didn't think of that.

31. Post #2071
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    Phong shading... Also looks bad? Hm...

http://i50.tinypic.com/2mw5l36.png

I have one last plan. Things could get dangerous.

EDIT: I think this is good enough. This is a pretty weird way to do surface normals, but I guess it works. I'm storing them to a texture. Actually, wait, that means I can use the texture with a LOD system and it would look pretty good. I like when stuff works out.

You managed to stumble across normal mapping. Typically instead of using them for LoD, it's used to give a model more surface normal detail than it has vertices. The effect is that it looks much more detailed.

http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap

If you try drawing the texture to a flat surface it'll probably look like that first, mostly blue normal map on the link.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #2072
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,506 Posts
    You managed to stumble across normal mapping. Typically instead of using them for LoD, it's used to give a model more surface normal detail than it has vertices. The effect is that it looks much more detailed.

http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap

If you try drawing the texture to a flat surface it'll probably look like that first, mostly blue normal map on the link.
    I've known for a long time how to implement normal maps, I just never thought to apply it to terrain.

33. Post #2073
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,305 Posts

Working on a map editor and forgot to add tile overlapping Gotta change my whole tile engine now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #2074
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    I've known for a long time how to implement normal maps, I just never thought to apply it to terrain.
    IMO it's cleaner to just pass them in as another attribute. It's more scalable (terrain larger than 8192x8192 won't work on older graphics cards. Recent cards have a limit of 65,536x65,536, but that's a theoretical limit. An actual texture that size takes ~16GB. ~21GB with mipmapping) and compatible with fixed-function OpenGL (glNormalPointer).

Oh yeah and if you ever end up doing multitexturing for the terrain, you're going to want to save your texture units for the diffuse, normal, and specular maps of each texture you want to apply to the terrain.

35. Post #2075
    September 2011
    1,488 Posts
    GUI because why the fuck not.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

36. Post #2076
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,842 Posts
    It's funny because I'm fairly sure that is programatically more complicated than adding animation support to textures
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?...2#post35178292
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #2077
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    It's funny because I'm fairly sure that is programatically more complicated than adding animation support to textures
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?...2#post35178292
    At least he rated him dumb for that too! Consistency is king.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #2078
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    Facepunch friendly version:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 27Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #2079
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Facepunch friendly version:
    more like reddit friendly version

Edited:

at least i would like to think that facepunch isn't full of rabid athiests
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 10Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #2080
    Grimpunch Games
    May 2005
    523 Posts
    at least i would like to think that facepunch isn't full of rabid athiests

Side note, I have pretty placeholder textures in place, trying to find a way to have a dark , atmospheric puzzle game but not too dark, constant re-balancing of the lighting has worked so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)