1. Post #1041
    August 2009
    1,025 Posts

Entities are now entities and the lighting and everything knows they exist, instead of just models. Also physics now works. Turns out Jitter has this internal Shift since the "position" it knows is that of the center of mass, however it works, and I'm pleased. The framerate is MUCH higher without fraps and also, I'm using a way too high poly model for physics in that record, aka the same model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

2. Post #1042
    April 2012
    104 Posts

Making a L4D2 Mod Updater. Basicly you could save configs of download links and version checks for a certain vpk mod and then you can just check for a new version and download it immediately. (Like Steam Workshop for L4D2, but temporary if Valve decides to add support for L4D2, which they should!)
    Planning to make this a little more feature rich than what it looks like now. Include archiving old versions and managing which mods you want enabled or disabled (so you don't need to use the ingame selector). Going to need a good way to make this support sites like L4DMaps.com, but I think I can find some way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #1043
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    421 Posts
    -snip-
    Entities are now entities and the lighting and everything knows they exist, instead of just models. Also physics now works. Turns out Jitter has this internal Shift since the "position" it knows is that of the center of mass, however it works, and I'm pleased. The framerate is MUCH higher without fraps and also, I'm using a way too high poly model for physics in that record, aka the same model.
    Are you sure it's working right? Did you try other test than just making one model collide into another on? It's because back when I was working with Bullet I was doing pretty much the same thing, the physics looked right but as soon as I used more complex model it turned to hell, I then implemented convex decomposition but it did not help, it just made it more laggy. Eventually I found out that the physics engine basically has no idea where the center of mass is on the model, It will simply use the model center witch can lead to very bad simulation when working with more complex shape. Maybe you're already doing this but you should manually build a AABB (a OOBB would be event better) and use it's center as your model's center of mass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #1044
    August 2009
    1,025 Posts
    Are you sure it's working right? Did you try other test than just making one model collide into another on? It's because back when I was working with Bullet I was doing pretty much the same thing, the physics looked right but as soon as I used more complex model it turned to hell, I then implemented convex decomposition but it did not help, it just made it more laggy. Eventually I found out that the physics engine basically has no idea where the center of mass is on the model, It will simply use the model center witch can lead to very bad simulation when working with more complex shape. Maybe you're already doing this but you should manually build a AABB (a OOBB would be event better) and use it's center as your model's center of mass.
    I'm not manually doing that, but from what I remember Jitter does that by default.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #1045
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,967 Posts
    I didn't make this, but I have to share it with you guys.

A guy on the love forums made a 3d fractal renderer thing in love. Pretty crazy.

Edited:

A picture:

It even supports having them change based on time http://i.imgur.com/1L7fa.gif

Edited:

Well my craptop can't run it :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 14Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #1046
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,454 Posts
    I made a program (In C#) that takes the song your currently listening to in Winamp, posts to a PHP page, adds it to a database which can then be viewed on another page. Most of the code was C# so I figured it was more relevant in here.

Then I realised no one cares what I'm listening to so I just wasted half an hour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #1047
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,831 Posts
    I made a program (In C#) that takes the song your currently listening to in Winamp, posts to a PHP page, adds it to a database which can then be viewed on another page. Most of the code was C# so I figured it was more relevant in here.

Then I realised no one cares what I'm listening to so I just wasted half an hour.
    Everything you could ever code has already been done better. Case in point: Last.fm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree x 3Disagree x 2Informative x 1Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #1048
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts

Add it to a steam bot for some reason. Because that seems to be the thought process in FPP these days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #1049
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    Add it to a steam bot for some reason. Because that seems to be the thought process in FPP these days.
    please no we have more than enough unimaginative stupid bots clogging up fpp chat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1050
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    815 Posts
    stand back I'm attempting geometry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 22Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #1051
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts

You could make it post the current song on facebook or twitter. I'm sure there's a lot of people that want EVERYONE to know they're listening to "Creep" by Radiohead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1052
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,454 Posts
    You could make it post the current song on facebook or twitter. I'm sure there's a lot of people that want EVERYONE to know they're listening to "Creep" by Radiohead.
    I was actually looking around the FB API but the actual music API that they currently have is for partners only right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

13. Post #1053
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,831 Posts
    You don't need to use music API, just post it as a regular status update
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #1054
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,138 Posts
    I'm sure there's a lot of people that want EVERYONE to know they're listening to "Creep" by Radiohead.
    The most irritating part is that it's like the only Radiohead song anyone knows Jesus Christ
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

15. Post #1055
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,831 Posts
    Subterranean Homesick Alien = best
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

16. Post #1056
    May 2010
    5,384 Posts

If your not going to do anything with it, mind open sourcing it? Would be interesting to see how its done :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #1057
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I've been working with Parrot VM for some time, and Winxed seems like a really nice language to program shit in, especially considering that anything I write can be used by all Parrot languages.
    But I was wondering, is this a good or bad way to write a help display function?
    Code:
    function displayHelp( string app )
    {
       print( app );
       print( " usage: [OPTIONS]\n" );
       print( "\n" );
       print( " GENERAL USAGE\n" );
       print( "--help\t\t-h\t\tDisplay this message\n" );
       print( "--verbose\t-v\t\tShow whats going on\n" );
       print( "--root [PATH]\t\t\tUse PATH as root, instead of /\n" );
       print( "--temp [PATH]\t\t\tUSe PATH instead of /tmp\n" );
       print( " COMMANDS\n" );
       print( " -install [TARGET]\n" );
       print( " -remove [TARGET]\n" );
       print( " -search [TARGET]\n" );
       print( " -update\n" );
       print( " -upgrade [TARGET]\t\tupgrade all packages, or TARGET\n" );
       print( "\n" );
    }
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events

18. Post #1058
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,454 Posts
    You don't need to use music API, just post it as a regular status update
    I can imagine that getting very irritating after a while.

Edited:

If your not going to do anything with it, mind open sourcing it? Would be interesting to see how its done :)
    Maybe, tommorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #1059
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    815 Posts
    just work already, I'm tired of looking at you

Edited:

Awesome. Now I can have some realfun...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12 (list)

20. Post #1060
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts

Yay, the scrollbar on the chatbox works!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #1061
    April 2011
    1,038 Posts

Edited:

Well, IMO the first one looks more artistic...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #1062
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,606 Posts
    So i just found out why that bug with docking and tabControls exists in gwen:

...time to implement it I guess!
    (and later submit a patch?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1063
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Just made a fun little contraption, keyword: game

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb x 11Winner x 4Informative x 3Programming King x 2Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #1064
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts

This is something you post in the official thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1065
    February 2008
    460 Posts

Edited:

Would you mind sharing how you did that? I had a game concept involving random polygons like that but all the information I found on the topic was gigantic math libraries with terrible documentation and mathematical publications.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

26. Post #1066
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    This is something you post in the official thread.
    So I can't post content in WAYWO anymore?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

27. Post #1067
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    It's not programming; it's just a level.

Unless you're showcasing a new feature, but then you say "Hey look at this new feature"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

28. Post #1068
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    396 Posts
    It's not programming; it's just a level.

Unless you're showcasing a new feature, but then you say "Hey look at this new feature"
    he is showing off the rock climby thingy feature, Some assembly required though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #1069
    September 2010
    2,347 Posts
    Depending on how hard it might be to rebuild the drawing system in OpenGL, my game engine is very close to done.

Features:
    -Entities that can interact with each-other
    -Easy to call drawing and sound commands
    -A collision system
    -A loading/saving system
    -The game can be paused, and entities can be set to non-pause-able (for the menus)
    -A game-maker style room loading/moving system.

The whole engine is around 1500 lines.

All it took to build this:
    Code:
    package com.reywas.gameEngine;

import android.graphics.Color;

public class entity_saveTest extends engine_entity {

int local_clicks;
    	int loaded_clicks;

public void step(){

draw.drawText("Local: " + local_clicks, x, y, Color.WHITE, 20, 255, true, 0);
    		draw.drawText("Loaded: " + loaded_clicks, x, y+30, Color.WHITE, 20, 255, true, 0);

draw.drawCircle(x+200, y+15, 50, Color.BLACK, 255, true);
    		draw.drawText("load", x+200, y+15, Color.WHITE, 20, 255, true, 1);

draw.drawCircle(x+310, y+15, 50, Color.BLACK, 255, true);
    		draw.drawText("save", x+310, y+15, Color.WHITE, 20, 255, true, 1);

draw.drawCircle(x+420, y+15, 50, Color.BLACK, 255, true);
    		draw.drawText("click me", x+420, y+15, Color.WHITE, 20, 255, true, 1);

}
    	public void firstStep(){
    		entity_type = "entity_saveTest";
    	}

public void touchPress1(){
    		if (collision.checkCollisionPointCircle(engine_main.get_touch_x(),engine_main.get_touch_y(),x+200, y+15, 50)){	
    			loaded_clicks = save.loadInt("test_int");
    		}
    		if (collision.checkCollisionPointCircle(engine_main.get_touch_x(),engine_main.get_touch_y(),x+310, y+15, 50)){	
    			save.saveInt("test_int", local_clicks);
    		}
    		if (collision.checkCollisionPointCircle(engine_main.get_touch_x(),engine_main.get_touch_y(),x+420, y+15, 50)){	
    			local_clicks+=1;
    		}
    	}
    }
    ...Now let's go study for that AP exam tomorrow. Woo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

30. Post #1070
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    "hey everyone look at this map i made in hammer for a sourcemod i happen to be coding"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

31. Post #1071
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,999 Posts
    "hey everyone look at this map i made in hammer for a sourcemod i happen to be coding"
    Actually, when you put it like that it seems entirely justified to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

32. Post #1072
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,394 Posts
    I think you all remember when waywo turned into the Mari0 thread for like two pages, so don't get so upset at him for posting one video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1073
    October 2009
    1,939 Posts

Poor flatlanders, you stomped them. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Egypt Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #1074
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    815 Posts
    Well, IMO the first one looks more artistic...
    read that as "autistic" for some reason :derp:

Would you mind sharing how you did that?
    It's a Voronoi diagram. This was a great help. I gave up the last time I tried to do this for the same reasons you're expressing now.
    Basically, you take Fortune's algorithm then screw around with it to get the edges associated to each input vertex. Then, it is a simple matter of ordering and rendering. If you do it right, it takes O(n*log(n)) time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

35. Post #1075
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,836 Posts
    Any opinions from you guys on OpenTK vs SlimDX, when cross-platform development is NOT a factor I care about?

Is there any advantage to using OpenGL over DirectX or vice versa?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

36. Post #1076
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Cross platform support.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Funny Funny x 4Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #1077
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,836 Posts
    Cross platform support.
    Read the first line please. I'm looking mostly at ease of use/support comparing directx and opengl. I've heard documentation for openGL is pretty flaky for example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

38. Post #1078
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    There's very little newbie friendly official documentation for OGL. Plenty of good third party stuff though.
    AFAIK there's not really much between the two so I'd just pick OpenGL the one you like the look of most and go with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #1079
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,488 Posts
    Read the first line please. I'm looking mostly at ease of use/support comparing directx and opengl. I've heard documentation for openGL is pretty flaky for example.
    To get a solid grasp of Modern OpenGL you'll probably want to get a book on the topic. (Or wait for Overv)

Not sure about DirectX.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

40. Post #1080
    July 2008
    419 Posts
    Any opinions from you guys on OpenTK vs SlimDX, when cross-platform development is NOT a factor I care about?

directx is really nice to get started with and there is a lot of example code in the SDK and also in the graphics hardware SDKs(nvida sdk has very nice examples for shadow mapping and others). Also really nice tools for writing and testing shaders(like FXStudio) and DX is easy to use. IMO its much better than opengl and as i dont care about mac/linux. I guess if you want to do crossplatform at some time you can still switch to OGL but DX is nice to work with
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)