1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    233 Posts
    DO NOT FORGET TO RATE "THE VMAN" FOR THE TORNADO. FULL CREDIT TO THE TORNADO EFFECTS. I ONLY MADE THE PHYSICS!

Requires CS:S for some props, and Episode 2 for scenery

Final Release Date: RELEASED
    http://www.mediafire.com/?nu68q65k68wfw92

This map is the third of four, of the Gmod Tornado Maps
    1) Tornado Alley, gm_tornadoalley - Basic tornado, medium play area, small detail, very dark -RELEASED-
    2) Tornado Highway, gm_tornadohighway - New tornado, 3 tornadoes, massive play area, medium detail -RELEASED-
    3) Tornado Valley, gm_tornadovalley - New tornadoes, 3 tornadoes, medium play area, major detail -NOT STARTED-
    4) Tornado Nightfall, gm_tornadonightfall - New tornadoes, 3 tornadoes, large play area, medium detail, night time -IN TESTING-

FEATURES:
    - Tornadoes were redone, the suck-radius was revamped.
    - Tornado Warning Alarm (Siren) (Only activated by players, otherwise will not sound.)
    - Tornado EAS System, 9 alarms in total, 6 props in the gas station. All radios will play it.
    - Tornado TV EAS system, all TV's will show EAS when a tornado warning is given.
    - F1 Tornado (Speed increased from gm_tornadohighway. Now moves at slightly faster than full sprint speed.)
    - F3 Tornado (Just under sprinting speed, faster than the F3 in the old map)
    - F5 Tornado (Same speed as walking)
    - All buildings are destructible
    - Drive In theater built by Saber
    - Gas Station created by Saber and built to be destructible by myself, with custom explosion particle by The Vman, and completely destructible
    - Dark atmosphere, nighttime setting,
    - Custom sunset stormy skybox texture by Mr. Chop
    - Admin room with the ability to turn off rain, turn off/on thunder and lightning, and disable/enable tornado spawning.

HOW THE TORNADO SPAWNS:
    1) The timer is set randomly, it can spawn anywhere between 2 minutes between tornadoes, and 8 minutes.
    1b) To turn the timer off, hit the DISABLE button in the Admin Room
    2) The timer will determine whether or not an F1, F3, or F5 is to spawn, or if two or three will spawn at the same time. This value is completely random, and not even I can determine which tornado is going to spawn.
    3) Once the timer fires, the sequence begins.
    4) The tornadoes will spawn randomly within 45 seconds to 2 minutes after the EAS warning.
    5) The tornadoes will last for anywhere between 1 minute and 2 minutes after spawning.

Progress Videos:
    - Release Video #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFN5rhEEC74
    - Progress Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYXfFIqP4Fw 05/07/2012
    - Demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YksyAVIySsI 05/09/2012
    - Transforming Tornado: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvmpbqqc0Yw

DOWNLOAD NIGHTFALL

'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Mapping King x 5Artistic x 3Winner x 3Funny x 1Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,352 Posts
    Looks nice

3. Post #3
    NEO 卐 NAZI HERO <3
    September 2009
    3,875 Posts
    too soon man!

think about all the texans!

jks it looks great <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    ONE HUNDRED PERCENT NIGGER
    September 2009
    550 Posts
    Really enjoyed the last one and this looks just as good if not better.

5. Post #5
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    Looks awesome.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    233 Posts
    too soon man!

think about all the texans!
    Haha! I didn't even think about that..

7. Post #7
    July 2008
    21 Posts
    Is that the Storm chasing unit i see there Rory :D

8. Post #8
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BEN FOLDS FETISH
    April 2010
    6,604 Posts
    Oh man, I'm always pumped for these maps.

I'd so be in on any attempt to map out settings from the film

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    233 Posts
    Just an update since I haven't been active on the forums.

Nightfall is being worked on, just very slowly. I will be handing out the VMF to a trusted friend if it is not released by the time I go to the Army.

Thanks!

10. Post #10
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    Just an update since I haven't been active on the forums.

Nightfall is being worked on, just very slowly. I will be handing out the VMF to a trusted friend if it is not released by the time I go to the Army.

Thanks!
    You're going into the army? Good luck man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,493 Posts
    I certainly hopes this get finished by yourself Rory or your friend.

Hope everything goes alright in the Army as well <3

12. Post #12
    August 2007
    67 Posts
    I've been working on a custom tornado sound [using noises ripped from the movie] if you want to give it a listen.

13. Post #13
    ~Tital~
    July 2009
    1,194 Posts
    Looks great!

14. Post #14
    March 2010
    1,028 Posts
    Hey, this is off-topic to this map, but is relevant to the previous one. Is this legit, or did someone just steal this map? (as in the map that was edited, not THIS map the thread is for)

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=129802

15. Post #15
    Thunderstorm Enthusiast
    February 2009
    634 Posts
    Hey, this is off-topic to this map, but is relevant to the previous one. Is this legit, or did someone just steal this map? (as in the map that was edited, not THIS map the thread is for)

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=129802
    It's legit, my friend Sabre (An admin on the tornado server) said he was making an update for the map (With Rhapid's permission).

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    233 Posts
    It's legit. Saber is the co-owner of my Storm Chasing server and has permission to update maps for optimization only. Only I have permission to re-release tornado series maps, using these particles, sounds, textures, etc. Saber however is allowed to fix the maps and re-release them.

Tornado nightfall final progress video, release no later than Friday:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYXfFIqP4Fw

Still to do:
    1) Animated textures for drive in
    2) TONS of more props for a realistic feel
    3) Roadsigns, trees, fencing
    4) Add the tornadoes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    March 2010
    427 Posts
    I know this is pretty late in its development, but want a custom hdr skybox for the map?

put this together in photoshop, I want to add some stuff to the horizon like plains and some farms, need to find a source for that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    August 2007
    67 Posts
    And I have a custom tornado sound if you'd want to try it out. Maybe different sounds every map to keep it fresh?

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    233 Posts
    Yeah PM me the files for the skybox and the sound, we'll give it a shot. I will need them by Wednesday or no can do. Does the sound file loop? I can't make them loop because I lack the program and the skill, so if it doesn't loop I can't use it.

20. Post #20
    August 2007
    67 Posts
    Yup, I put the cues in. Sending soon!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    May 2011
    991 Posts
    oh wow, i was in the dark on this :L. Can't wait!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    233 Posts
    I have not tested it yet, but here is the new timer, compared to the old:

OLD TIMER SYSTEM (gm_tornadohighway)
    1) 3 logic_timers, firing each tornado randomly between 1-5 minutes on average
    2) Tornado spawns, disabling all other tornado timers to prevent multiple spawns

NEW TIMER SYSTEM (gm_tornadonightfall)
    1) 1 logic_timer, firing a logic_case.
    2) Logic_Case picks which tornado to spawn, with a more probability of an F1
    3) Tornado EAS enables, warning players of a coming tornado. Also fires a random 1-2 minute timer.
    4) Randomly within 1-2 minutes, the tornado will spawn. This enables another timer
    5) The next timer randomly picks between 1-3 minutes, of when the tornado will despawn.
    The shortest chance with all timers, is an F1 tornado every 2 minutes, that spawns in 1 minute, and dissipates in 1 minute.
    The longest chance with all timers, is an F3 tornado every 8 minutes, that spawns in 2 minutes, and dissipates in 3 minutes.

I will be testing this new timer system tonight.

[EDIT]

The new timer system works like a charm. The F5 scared the shit out of me when I was testing it. I thought the timer system wasn't working and was about to give up, when suddenly the EAS went off. I was all "cool! It works". Hit the stopwatch to see if it would spawn... a minute and a half goes by and I'm sitting there thinking "Well, maybe it isn't working". I ran out from under the gas station where it's safe, and the F5 spawned right on top of me, destroying the gas station and any hopes of survival.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    233 Posts
    Currently beta testing the map on our storm chasers server.

[EDIT] Found multiple map bugs. Map was pulled from the server for editing. We won't be able to use the custom skybox texture unfortunately.

24. Post #24
    Briglair Gaming
    May 2012
    35 Posts
    Rory posted:
    We won't be able to use the custom skybox texture unfortunately.
    To be more detailed: The skybox texture didnt load to clients and mirrored the purple and black on half of the buildings in the map.

(And just to let you know i am Saber <.< I just go by like 4 different names!)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    233 Posts
    I have added a new tornado to this map, unique to all the others from the previous versions.

VIDEO: The Transforming Tornado
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvmpbqqc0Yw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    233 Posts
    The beta is up and running on the Storm Chasers server.

Join and vote map to change to it if it's not on currently.

27. Post #27

January 2012
    29 Posts
    I cant Download it thru server can i have a DL link plz.

28. Post #28

June 2011
    6 Posts
    Alright one or two questions first Is this gonna be released late tonight or tomorrow, Second can youj please tell us the requirments: the sources used to make the buildings and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29

January 2012
    29 Posts
    I got it off the server :D

Theres a beta up on there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #30

June 2011
    6 Posts
    Release is now for Saturday cuz its 12:05 :P

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    233 Posts
    10:54PM here, and it's being compiled.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32

June 2011
    6 Posts
    So what i'm hearing is that the dl is bout to be up? :)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    233 Posts
    The map has been uploaded temporarily to mediafire due to garrysmod.org being glitchy.

DOWNLOAD NIGHTFALL

Warning:
    The map is optimized like shit due to time constraints. I will try to optimize at a later time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

34. Post #34

June 2011
    6 Posts
    whats different from beta#2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35

April 2012
    2 Posts
    Rory, everything is purple and black, and there are tons of errors. The radios dont work either. I am using wire, phx3, sicknessmodel, and master chris. HELP!

Edited:

PLZ HURRY!

Edited:

RORY, IT IS 7:54 IN THE MORNING! I NEED HELP!

Edited:

Edited:

Edited:

RORY I NEED HELP NOW!!! EVERYTHING IS PURPLE AND BLACK ON THE MAP AND THERE ARE ERRORS! ALSO NONE OF THE RADIOS WORK! CAN YOU HEAR ME!?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    May 2012
    33 Posts
    Am happy that we finally got gm_tornadonightfall but please, if you have errors or missing texture get the content you need instead of saying it's all black and pink with full of errors please

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    233 Posts
    Obviously if the files included are still giving you errors it's CS:S or Episode 2. Jesus Christ...

Not my problem if you don't have it. They're two very common games that are very cheap. Buy them, have someone import the models and textures, or deal with it.

38. Post #38
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    I remember this, it was really fun.

39. Post #39

April 2012
    2 Posts
    Am happy that we finally got gm_tornadonightfall but please, if you have errors or missing texture get the content you need instead of saying it's all black and pink with full of errors please
    i saw u on srvr

40. Post #40
    November 2007
    306 Posts
    tried the map and it's really great so far! are you planning on releasing all of these tornado maps onto the gmod workshop eventually?