1. Post #921
    BADGERPIG
    May 2010
    4,323 Posts

50's era basketball shoes look goofy no-matter what.

[ no texture yet ]
    @whoever modeled this

Those legs and feet look very unnatural, you need to practice some anatomy and organic shapes in general.
    Other than that they just look generally poorly made, the sock is unevenly thick, the shoes are oddly thin and the strings are far to thin and tiny for tf2, use scouts MNC shoes for reference.

The calves could just as well be copied from the standard model or the ali baba booties, both for consistency and saving you the trouble of getting it to look more natural

and why 50's when tf2 is set in the late 60's?
    High tops also reads better as classic basketball shoes

(If Ronin: This is possibly worse than the horribly awful cowboy boots.
    Get your shit together for gods sake we all know you are able to make fantastic stuff)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

2. Post #922
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    957 Posts
    Those legs and feet look insanely unnatural, practice some anatomy and organic shapes in general.
    Other than that they just look generally poorly made, the sock is unevenly thick, the shoes are oddly thin and the strings are far to thin and tiny.

This is possibly worse than the horribly awful cowboy boots.

and why 50's when tf2 is set in the late 60's?
    I think Jalcober made the model, so I agree on a little practice on organic shapes. But I agree with you on ronin should do the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #923
    BADGERPIG
    May 2010
    4,323 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

4. Post #924
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,827 Posts

Not sure if i'll finish it, i'll be horrible to rig...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #925
    LIVE XXX TF2 ITEMS
    November 2011
    1,921 Posts
    To whoever modeled the demo headband (it's confusing because you all let psyke post images of your stuff instead of yourself. Why do you do that? He gets all the supposed credit for your work. Why not just post yourself so we know who actually made the thing, instead of who gave it some base colours? Everyone's going to assume Ronin made it.)

Have you submitted it to the workshop? Or are you trying to figure out the facial flexes? Because, honestly, I don't think you have to worry about that. Like the all-father, I think that's something they may fix themselves if they like the item enough. And its a really nice hat idea! Honestly, me and sexyrobot make that scout headband and think we had a good item, then you made one for demo, and I'm all like 'mother fucker!'.

I also think the shoes should be high tops, and that the leg part should be a sock. Everything about demo is long and thick (pardon the pun) and those boots look a little tiny at the moment. There's also something weird about seeing demos are legs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #926
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,691 Posts
    Way too unnoticeable, in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Disagree Disagree x 5Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #927
    November 2010
    569 Posts
    maybe you'd like styles

like office phones and home phones

I like the concept but something seems to be off. the holes bother me a bit.
    could you try painting them like the example?

Maybe bevel some extra geometry below.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #928
    BADGERPIG
    May 2010
    4,323 Posts
    no, see that adds a color splotch on a rather empty and uncovered area, the matches blend in with the suit and are placed in an area which is mostly covered under pyros arm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #929
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    957 Posts
    See not he problem is here is that the couvre always sticks against medic's default labcout out unless painted waterlogged labcoat, the matches on the other hand blend in even if they where neon fucking pink due to their bland color on an already dark character. It needs some strong variation for it to be a worthwhile item. I hate to say it but without the magnify on the matches picture I never would have even noticed them, granted Couvre's backpack has a magnifying glass but that's because the picture they chose to start with was an incredibly small shot of the medic torso.

Besides, couvre was made in like, 40 minutes so it's not fair to be put up for comparison   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #930
    Tyrannosaur Fisherman Extraordinaire (Not Game Fish)
    May 2009
    4,806 Posts

Not sure if i'll finish it, i'll be horrible to rig...
    I'm suprised you're still wanting to go on with that idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #931
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,363 Posts

Decided the Col Roule was in need of a well made update, normal courtesy of sparkwire and texture and styles from me.
    Damn. I just got rid of mine.

Has anyone made a 'TF industries Engie robot buddy' set for the Pyro? I have some ideas for one, but it seems like the sort of thing that might have been done before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events

12. Post #932
    January 2012
    3,666 Posts

Decided the Col Roule was in need of a well made update, normal courtesy of sparkwire and texture and styles from me.
    As a owner of a Col Roule, I fully support this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

13. Post #933
    January 2010
    1,094 Posts
    A CHALLENGE GOOD SIR

me and hecates have been in talks about something like this for about a week or so. but i got college, and cant just model anything on the drop of a... well excuse the pun... HAT So ima continue with his original concept without this in mind, sorry mate.

since i got a couple hours to work on it, ima do that now http://www.livestream.com/insaneicide
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

14. Post #934
    May 2009
    4,806 Posts

The 'Daily Dose' or the 'Needless Needles'?
    agree for Dose, disagree for Needles.

and opinions and such, you know the drill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 29Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

15. Post #935
    January 2012
    54 Posts
    They might look a little better at a more acute angle, or perhaps even pointing straight down.

Also: "The Backup Booster"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #936
    May 2009
    4,806 Posts
    They might look a little better at a more acute angle, or perhaps even pointing straight down.

Also: "The Backup Booster"?
    Originally they did point down, but it made them unnoticable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

17. Post #937
    May 2011
    1,297 Posts

The corks look very odd. Most of them are at odd, impractical angles, and the texture doesn't look very good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

18. Post #938
    I'LL SUCK DICK FOR SELF-MADES
    July 2011
    10,073 Posts
    The corks look very odd. Most of them are at odd, impractical angles, and the texture doesn't look very good.
    Agree/disagree here, i agree that they are in a bad angle, but the texture is good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #939
    BADGERPIG
    May 2010
    4,323 Posts

the new normal seems to be much better

though i can't quite tell how much better due to the angle of the light

ao looks better around the edges too, and the base isn't pink, which is also good

20. Post #940
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    566 Posts
    A CHALLENGE GOOD SIR

me and hecates have been in talks about something like this for about a week or so. but i got college, and cant just model anything on the drop of a... well excuse the pun... HAT So ima continue with his original concept without this in mind, sorry mate.

since i got a couple hours to work on it, ima do that now http://www.livestream.com/insaneicide
    i don't really care, a this wasn't my idea i did it for a friend and b it was an 8 min job so any criticism i get i don't honestly care about, was just seeing if anyone was liking the way it was heading, it turns out no, so project shut.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

21. Post #941
    BADGERPIG
    May 2010
    4,323 Posts

the item itself looks simply fantastic!
    but i'm a bit worried they will be clipping and get somewhat covered by his arms,
    what about the other design you had with the needles on a belt between the suspenders?
    or maybe in some other attachment to his belt?

22. Post #942
    May 2009
    4,806 Posts
    the item itself looks simply fantastic!
    but i'm a bit worried they will be clipping and get somewhat covered by his arms,
    what about the other design you had with the needles on a belt between the suspenders?
    that exists, but that's for another time.

Also everyone's choice of name I approve of greatly, that means I can get away with having made a faggoty new paint style
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #943
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,720 Posts
    goddamnit pie tony <3 <3 <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #944
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,827 Posts
    goddamnit pie tony <3 <3 <3
    i get no love
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #945
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    i get no love
    Don't worry hun, I've got plenty to spare.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #946
    September 2011
    2,066 Posts
    i get no love
    fuck, your avatar looked at me and I nearly shat myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #947
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,827 Posts
    fuck, your avatar looked at me and I nearly shat myself.
    but it's a jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #948
    November 2010
    387 Posts
    Change of heart! I won't let depression keep me down! The show must go on, and I promised you guys I'd finish my pack. So I continue!

It'd be awesome to have the puzzle pieces scatter as gibs on death, but I realise that'd be unnecessarily difficult.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

29. Post #949
    May 2009
    4,806 Posts

One last image just to show how paintable works, top mid/left are default.
    I'm unsure if to have it more green, or more [paintable colour], we'll also have a solid 4 colour style too.

Assuming everything is going to plan, working on fixing the corks & optimisations now, shall be on workshop soon!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #950
    Maxime Lebled
    Dennab
    December 2010
    12,749 Posts

One last image just to show how paintable works, top mid/left are default.
    I'm unsure if to have it more green, or more [paintable colour], we'll also have a solid 4 colour style too.

Assuming everything is going to plan, working on fixing the corks & optimisations now, shall be on workshop soon!
    Wait, how does it work. Does it invert the color of the top ones for the bottom ones?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

31. Post #951
    Dreams of chronic and sustained critglows.
    December 2010
    16,947 Posts
    so the top color is the raw paint color, and the bottom tints the paint color slightly green?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #952
    May 2010
    659 Posts
    Look at me go, I'm on fire! Do you dare weigh your sins on the Millenium Scale?

That golden color seems a little weird, it looks a bit greenish on some parts. Try to make it more dark, similar to the Saxxy's one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

33. Post #953
    May 2009
    4,806 Posts
    so the top color is the raw paint color, and the bottom tints the paint color slightly green?
    Bingo was indeed his name.

o.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #954
    December 2010
    16,947 Posts
    what does that do to black?

I don't think the tint would come through on black.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

35. Post #955
    July 2011
    574 Posts
    I was looking through the TF2 F2P GDC 2012 slides and saw this.

So yeah that's what the Valve employees see on Workshop submissions. And I guess if we saw the slides earlier we would've guessed the Cozy Camper was getting in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 19Winner Winner x 2 (list)

36. Post #956
    May 2009
    4,806 Posts
    what does that do to black?

I don't think the tint would come through on black.

seems that it does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

37. Post #957
    December 2010
    16,947 Posts

So yeah that's what the Valve employees see on Workshop submissions. And I guess if we saw the slides earlier we would've guessed the Cozy Camper was getting in.
    so "revenue is FINAL and that's FINAL" isn't really all that true, since they have a special button right there to reset it...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

38. Post #958
    I'LL SUCK DICK FOR SELF-MADES
    July 2011
    10,073 Posts

Times reported: 6?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

39. Post #959
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,691 Posts
    Maybe instead of corks try plastic tips like you see on one time needles?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #960
    May 2011
    2,886 Posts
    I did not work on the demo basketball set.

To whoever modeled the demo headband (it's confusing because you all let psyke post images of your stuff instead of yourself. Why do you do that? He gets all the supposed credit for your work. Why not just post yourself so we know who actually made the thing, instead of who gave it some base colours? Everyone's going to assume Ronin made it.)

Have you submitted it to the workshop? Or are you trying to figure out the facial flexes? Because, honestly, I don't think you have to worry about that. Like the all-father, I think that's something they may fix themselves if they like the item enough. And its a really nice hat idea! Honestly, me and sexyrobot make that scout headband and think we had a good item, then you made one for demo, and I'm all like 'mother fucker!'.

I also think the shoes should be high tops, and that the leg part should be a sock. Everything about demo is long and thick (pardon the pun) and those boots look a little tiny at the moment. There's also something weird about seeing demos are legs.
    I let psyke post screen shots because i dont usually have the time. Also, when he posts on his end its generally because he is working on the vmt tweaks and some detailing and testing my rigs. I usually work on texturing or other items while he posts his workflow. I don't mind him getting "some" credit since many you know already that i make the models.

It really doesn't matter as much as who made the model or texture, what matters is if the item is good or not. I guys feel its not a good item, give them a pat for trying then lead them to a possible direction. If they like it, then you get a little stamp on the item thats being submitted. If they don't like it, everybody else will know that you helped anyway.

On the demo legs, i feel its adequate enough. Athletes have long, thin shins. I do agree with the shape of the socks and it needs to be a more fabric-y shape than sharp. And yes as a basketball buff, i prefer high cut chuck taylors please.

Edited:

(If Ronin: This is possibly worse than the horribly awful cowboy boots.
    Get your shit together for gods sake we all know you are able to make fantastic stuff)
    :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Aruba Show Events