1. Post #81
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I just ordered, among other nerdy shirts, this one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 17Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,836 Posts
    well shit, now I've wandered onto thinkgeek and found a whole stack of things to want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,161 Posts
    If you have a telescope check out mars http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...potted-on-mars
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #84
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    well shit, now I've wandered onto thinkgeek and found a whole stack of things to want.
    I have over USD$1,000 of stuff in my wishlist

Edited:

It's like TVTropes but for shopping
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    I pushed my dad off the stairs and all I got was he came back
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    SWAMP GAS
    IN SPACE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

6. Post #86
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,183 Posts
    I just ordered, among other nerdy shirts, this one
    I love that shirt. and it's not nerdy at all!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

7. Post #87
    Silly men accomplish magnificant tasks, the current ammount of womens rear exits that have surrounded my penis makes me confident I will accomplish, shit.
    July 2008
    3,392 Posts
    Whats that?
    Space related music!

Edited:

Oh shit almost forgot this one too

Edited:

Oh yeah this one is space-related too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    Dennab
    January 2009
    1,725 Posts

Looks more like an elephant to me broskis.

Also fuck yeah space, it's weird as hell but holy fuck do I love space.
    I see neither a crab nor an elephant, but instead, a weird person.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #89
    March 2009
    2,165 Posts
    I will never unsee that you bastard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #90
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,183 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

11. Post #91

April 2011
    1 Posts
    Stokes! I didnt know you were into space! Well I guess I would like to become part of your alls congregation of space junkies!

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,178 Posts
    Venus is visible in the daylight today, by the moon, check it out right now. These are from today and the past few nights

Edited:

Stokes! I didnt know you were into space! Well I guess I would like to become part of your alls congregation of space junkies!
    You are hereby knighted as a Spacepuncher
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #93
    Dennab
    February 2012
    1,191 Posts
    I sometimes wonder what happens in black holes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,178 Posts
    While it's a shame that it was shut down, I think it was time we moved on to more fruitful endeavors (no shuttle pun intended), but I do think they should have had their next program in mind as they cancelled the shuttle, rather than scrapping Constellation and now on to SLS.
    The Space Shuttle was an amazing program that launched us into a new age of reusable space transport, but it was inefficient and it was old. It was simply a stepping stone into the future, and it was a good thing it was retired, to make way for new things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,836 Posts
    Bad shit. The gravity rips stuff apart and together every which way, and there's tremendous amounts of radiation, iirc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,178 Posts
    You are split in half over and over and over and over because one part of your body is experiencing more gravitational pull than the other, eventually you are reduced to atoms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #97
    January 2012
    182 Posts
    so why cant we just use unused shuttle pieces and a soyuz module, and call it the finished sls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,803 Posts
    I found this cool article about oceans on Enceladus: http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...109837,00.html

Edited:

While it's a shame that it was shut down, I think it was time we moved on to more fruitful endeavors (no shuttle pun intended), but I do think they should have had their next program in mind as they cancelled the shuttle, rather than scrapping Constellation and now on to SLS.
    To bring this up again, it's not all bad that there was no rocket waiting for the space shuttle's retirement. It pushed NASA to turn to the commercial sector for manned flight which in turn helped boost commercial companies. Elon Musk said in some interview that, had it not been for NASA funding from the COTS program, the Falcon 9 would have been developed at a much slower pace. They may not have even launched a Falcon 9 yet if they didn't get the funding from NASA, which was a result of not having a rocket waiting for the space shuttle's retirement
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,178 Posts
    I found this cool article about oceans on Enceladus: http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...109837,00.html

Edited:

To bring this up again, it's not all bad that there was no rocket waiting for the space shuttle's retirement. It pushed NASA to turn to the commercial sector for manned flight which in turn helped boost commercial companies. Elon Musk said in some interview that, had it not been for NASA funding from the COTS program, the Falcon 9 would have been developed at a much slower pace. They may not have even launched a Falcon 9 yet if they didn't get the funding from NASA, which was a result of not having a rocket waiting for the space shuttle's retirement
    Encledus, Titan, and Europa are my favorite moons, because of the slight chance they might harbor life.

Edited:

Another exposure, do you guys know the best time for one? This has a little star trail.

Edited:

Last one for tonight I swear

Edited:

okay im done

20. Post #100
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,183 Posts
    Where do you live DesolateGrun? You have such a good view of the night sky.

Also, I believe in June this year there is supposed to be an eclipse. Not just any eclipse, but Venus is supposed to cross the path of the sun and we can see a small dark spot in the sun that day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,178 Posts
    North jersey, only 50 miles from new york. The only problem is the clouds and trees which never give me a good clear night.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

22. Post #102

July 2009
    110 Posts
    I'm surprised no one suggested Universe Sandbox to fuck around in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

23. Post #103
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    North jersey, only 50 miles from new york. The only problem is the clouds and trees which never give me a good clear night.
    North Jersey bros

A good place is Old Rifle Camp Park up in Patterson. They have an observatory there with a 14 in telescope, and it's high enough that the light pollution from the city doesn't affect you.

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,178 Posts
    North Jersey bros

A good place is Old Rifle Camp Park up in Patterson. They have an observatory there with a 14 in telescope, and it's high enough that the light pollution from the city doesn't affect you.
    I'm going to have to check that out some day

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,685 Posts

To put things in perspective.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19Late Late x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,803 Posts
    Another North Jersey bro.

MSL conducted orbital maneuvers and instrument tests: http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/Mar...ments_999.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,178 Posts
    Another North Jersey bro.

MSL conducted orbital maneuvers and instrument tests: http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/Mar...ments_999.html
    I'm glad we don't have another dead probe on out hands

28. Post #108
    HQRSE FUCKER
    September 2009
    2,985 Posts
    High Skies' Sounds of Earth album has an awesome booklet of Voyager's Golden Album. It's a really cool read.

Read the rest here: http://imgur.com/a/CTioF
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Winner Winner x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,178 Posts
    I'm really pissed that when I was walking my dog I saw a fucking awesome meteorite burn up, like a burning bird falling in the sky for only a second, and I didn't have my camera set on that area
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,178 Posts
    Never mind I took a 3 hour timelapse, with about 270 frames and each frame is 15 seconds of exposure, and I caught a bunch of meteriorites in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

31. Post #111
    March 2011
    187 Posts
    Here you go:

Music you can listen to while thinking about/looking into space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #112
    March 2009
    2,165 Posts
    Thanks to you guys I ordered these two shirts off Thinkgeek;

And now a really cool nebula;

SPACE BUBBLES
    EDIT:
    Also, rectangles;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    13,828 Posts
    Ah, to join the ranks of the Spacepunchers.

<3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #114
    Cyberpunk Member
    August 2006
    3,495 Posts
    i would want to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #115

December 2008
    533 Posts
    This thread is gold! Keep the nice pictures flowing.

For anyone who dont know, there is alot of free space data availible online, including realtime feeds from sattelite telescopes etc.

My favorite is definetely SOHO (The LASCO2/3 feeds in particular):
    http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/gif/

The sun now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

36. Post #116
    I pushed my dad off the stairs and all I got was he came back
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    Is it just me or is the moon VERY close nowadays?
    Living in The Netherlands btw, maybe I just didn't notice it before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #117
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,183 Posts
    Is it just me or is the moon VERY close nowadays?
    Living in The Netherlands btw, maybe I just didn't notice it before.
    The moon is in fact getting further away from Earth slowly every year.

The Moon's orbit (its circular path around the Earth) is indeed getting larger, at a rate of about 3.8 centimeters per year. (The Moon's orbit has a radius of 384,000 km.) I wouldn't say that the Moon is getting closer to the Sun, specifically, though--it is getting farther from the Earth, so, when it's in the part of its orbit closest to the Sun, it's closer, but when it's in the part of its orbit farthest from the Sun, it's farther away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #118
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    9,990 Posts
    The moon is in fact getting further away from Earth slowly every year.
    Yep, but the orbit is not circular so the moon will be in varying distances from earth during it's cycle.

Currently it's about 402 000 kilometers away, so it's not even close to it's closest position, which is about 360 000km

Comparison chart for size:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Someone should send a satellite orbiting the sun that streams back footage.

That would be the greatest livestream ever.

Or for an easier route: put a publicly available webcam in the ISS Cupola.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,178 Posts
    [url]
    Made this timelapse
    Watch it at full quality or you can see shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)