1. Post #841
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,434 Posts
    "The Sky Calls To Us" Would be a more effective title, though I love it I don't really see the point of titles
    So people like funion can feel special that they take up half the page because of their huge pink title.

Normal people on the other hand just like a little something under their name, like me.    Assuming I'm normal :(   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #842
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,258 Posts
    So people like funion can feel special that they take up half the page because of their huge pink title.

Normal people on the other hand just like a little something under their name, like me.    Assuming I'm normal :(   
    you are as normal as this galaxy

it's irregular   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #843
    Ludovico Einaudi is pretty great

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #844
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,100 Posts
    Vangelis did a great job with the Cosmos music aswell as all their other synth stuff.

I like this one its all light and adventurous
    INFUSED WITH THE SPIRIT OF CARL SAGAN

Edited:

Some Vangelis love going on here
    Vangelis also did scores for Cousteaus later work. Those are rare to come by for some reason. Never released in a soundtrack.

5. Post #845
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,851 Posts
    Maybe I'm just weird but I always thought God Is an Astronaut made for some good star gazing/space exploring music.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

6. Post #846
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    That reminds me of an Eddie Izzard quotation:

"When you [Americans] landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, "Well done."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #847
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,175 Posts
    http://www.livestream.com/spaceflightnow

Atlas V 531 launch coming up.

Edited:

8 minutes if http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ is to be trusted,

Edited:

Lol nvm, an hour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events

8. Post #848
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,434 Posts
    Will it be recorded so I can watch it later?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

9. Post #849
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,175 Posts
    Lol nvm again, it's another hour.

I suck at time zones.

It's 50 minutes from now (xx:42 wherever you are)

10. Post #850
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,100 Posts
    That was nice of them to wait for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #851
    Lol nvm again, it's another hour.

I suck at time zones.
    You should learn more about timezones, here's a lecture by Albert Einstein dated 1933
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

12. Post #852
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,100 Posts
    There should be an IMAX documentary about the behind the scenes process of launching a rocket. From building the rocket to doing all the tests and setting it up finally to launch. I think that would be pretty neat. Basically a look at all the things that have to be done for a successful launch.

That's if there isn't one already which I'm willing to bet there is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #853
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,175 Posts
    Go for launch!

14. Post #854
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

15. Post #855
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,100 Posts
    Atlas rockets are sexy. What are they launching? Just another satellite?

16. Post #856
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,175 Posts
    Atlas rockets are sexy. What are they launching? Just another satellite?
    Military communications satellite.

17. Post #857
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,100 Posts
    Curious how much space junk sits off the coast of Florida. Farings, tanks, and other little bits. Assuming they're not jettisoned high enough to burn up.

18. Post #858
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,175 Posts
    Curious how much space junk sits off the coast of Florida. Farings, tanks, and other little bits. Assuming they're not jettisoned high enough to burn up.
    Some things like engines usually survive even if they are jettisoned very high up.

I remember a thread not long ago about a guy who believed he found the F-1 rocket engines from the Saturn V, and is going to pull them up.

19. Post #859
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,100 Posts
    Didn't he find the whole bottom stage? I'd imagine it would be pretty messed up by now. Ocean isn't forgiving to metal objects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #860
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    shit leave it down there

start a mufucking reef FROM SPACE

21. Post #861
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    Awwww I missed it.. Does anyone know of any recording?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events

22. Post #862
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,868 Posts
    Well today was an excellent day; on the way home from work I paid a visit to a yard sale and found myself a telescope. I got a Meade ETX60 for fifty dollars. A really good deal, and it works perfectly so far as I can tell. I intend to take it out tonight if the weather is alright.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #863
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,006 Posts
    SpaceX Facebook posted:
    SpaceX is requesting a May 19th launch target with a backup on May 22 from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

24. Post #864
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Tonight was the first clear night in a while, so I went out and saw (most of them for the first time):
    Venus's phase
    Mars
    Resurs-DK1 (My first satellite! )
    SUPERMOON
    I had Saturn for a split second, but I lost it. I spent another hour trying to find it again, but to no avail. :c

SUPERMOON
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hrpjcfeo6...1/DSCN1521.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hrpjcfeo6...0/DSCN1522.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hrpjcfeo6...5/DSCN1523.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hrpjcfeo6...8/DSCN1524.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hrpjcfeo6...h/DSCN1525.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hrpjcfeo6...O/DSCN1526.JPG
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

25. Post #865
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,100 Posts
    Are any of you telescope guys able to get a good shot at Europa whenever its in view? Or is it far too small/hard to find?

26. Post #866
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,258 Posts
    Are any of you telescope guys able to get a good shot at Europa whenever its in view? Or is it far too small/hard to find?
    You can easily see the four gallilean moons with a mag over 75. But no detail on ground based ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

27. Post #867
    September 2011
    733 Posts
    Awwww I missed it.. Does anyone know of any recording?
    Yeah, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8iDpu0TNfM
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #868
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,095 Posts
    Hmm I thinking about getting a new telescope this summer. The mirror of my old one is completely broken. I never wiped the condensed water from it after taking it back home from a cold night so it kinda "sunk" into the mirror.

Edited:

Before going searching everywhere, is there anyone you guys recommend? Budget is $300-$400
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

29. Post #869
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

30. Post #870
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,434 Posts
    Thread is really slow today.

So, how long do you guys think before a man goes to mars? I think anywhere between the 15-35ish year range.

31. Post #871
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,095 Posts
    Thread is really slow today.

So, how long do you guys think before a man goes to mars? I think anywhere between the 15-35ish year range.
    I'm always pessimistic regarding that question. We have no doubt all the technology to reach there. But no government seems motivated to do such a thing. So around 30 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #872
    July 2007
    981 Posts
    Have SpaceX expressed any interest in going to Mars?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #873
    OvB
    March 2007
    13,100 Posts
    2039. Give or take 5 years.

Edited:

Have SpaceX expressed any interest in going to Mars?
    I recall Elon saying he could get humans there in 10 years at a cost of $500,000 for a round trip by making a fuel station or something along those lines. Though as far as any actual "plans", I think it's all just speculation for right now. They first gotta get the Dragon working, then the Falcon Heavy, then making the rockets reusable, and perfecting the superdracos for actual landings with the Dragon, THEN they can worry about mars.

Edited:

It's definitely on his mind though.

@elonmusk

Definitely. Long term goal of SpaceX making life multiplanetary

@elonmusk

For humanity to have an exciting & inspiring future, we cannot be confined to Earth forever. @love_to_dream #APSpaceChat

34. Post #874
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,006 Posts
    On the subject of Mars, I found this video about it. It's pretty cool. Definitely worth the watch.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

35. Post #875
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,928 Posts
    I wonder if there are any plans about mining iron and uranium on Mars.

Tools and equipment do wear down with use, and I think it would be much cheaper to have some basic production, and mining of easiest to reach deposits, than to launch things from Earth all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Cyprus Show Events

36. Post #876
    July 2007
    981 Posts

Tools and equipment do wear down with use, and I think it would be much cheaper to have some basic production, and mining of easiest to reach deposits, than to launch things from Earth all the time.
    We need to build an outpost at one of the Lagrange points in the Earth-Sun system (preferrably L4 or L5) then we won't need to keep launching stuff under the full extent of Earth's gravity. Anything put at L4 or L5 will pretty much stay stationary relative to the Earth and Sun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #877
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,006 Posts

It's not really feasible because of Mars' gravity and atmosphere. It's a lot simpler to rendezvous with an asteroid since they have no atmosphere and their gravity is so small.

Edited:

Supposedly Mars' atmosphere was stripped away by the solar wind over time. How come Titan's atmosphere hasn't been stripped away? It has little to no magnetic field of its own and it lies on the outer fringes of Saturn's. Would that be enough to protect it from the solar wind?

38. Post #878
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    What if we collect a bunch (like, millions of tons) asteroids in L4 and L5 for a really super huge scale mining operation.

SO MUCH DOSH

39. Post #879
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    New(re release) Carl Sagan tribute series video! Yaay!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #880
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,175 Posts
    Supposedly Mars' atmosphere was stripped away by the solar wind over time. How come Titan's atmosphere hasn't been stripped away? It has little to no magnetic field of its own and it lies on the outer fringes of Saturn's. Would that be enough to protect it from the solar wind?
    I'm actually not sure about this, but I imagine the distance from the sun has a lot to do with it.

Also, Mars still has an atmosphere, it's just extremely thinned out.

Edited:

Hm cool, just found out that Titan's atmosphere is just a little denser than our own, just 1.45 times more pressure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)