1. Post #921
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    i feel lucky to live where night and day are consistent
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

2. Post #922
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,854 Posts
    Note to self: Don't try and look something up quickly at Atomic Rocket before bed, I'll be up until 1 AM.

It's like TVTropes but space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #923
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,501 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #924
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,481 Posts
    Are those sunspots or just stuff on the lens?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

5. Post #925
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,501 Posts
    Are those sunspots or just stuff on the lens?
    Yep, they are sunspots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

6. Post #926
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #927
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,501 Posts
    Shhhh, you saw nothing.

8. Post #928
    I think I got the sun like that with a ND+8 filter and 1/8000 shutter speed at 22 aperture and 50 ISO or something like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

9. Post #929
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,501 Posts
    I'm starting to wonder if that picture is actually 2 separate pictures in one.

As in, he first took a photo of the sun, and then applied that picture to the other photo, hence the brighter edges around the sun.

10. Post #930
    I'm starting to wonder if that picture is actually 2 separate pictures in one.

As in, he first took a photo of the sun, and then applied that picture to the other photo, hence the brighter edges around the sun.
    Yes it is.
    There's no way to expose the sun and the foreground like that without immense amounts of dust.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

11. Post #931
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts

New Symphony of Science video :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

12. Post #932
    My favorites will forever be "Quantum world" "Ode to the brain" and "A glorious dawn" as my absolute favorite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #933
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    My favorites will forever be "Quantum world" "Ode to the brain" and "A glorious dawn" as my absolute favorite.
    Yes, I like most of the songs done by Symphony of Science, but my favourite is definitely A glorious dawn. It's really great.

Also The Case for Mars, really good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events

14. Post #934
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #935
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,268 Posts
    you called?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #936
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,481 Posts
    Going on omegle and in the question I'm trying to get some people the thought of just how amazing the universe is. what I put in the spy-mode question: "400+ billion galaxies. Each with 200-400+ billion stars. A trillion worlds in each galaxy. A world that may be very similar to ours with a variety of life. Isn't that amazing?"

reactions so far:

"no"

"not like a i give a shit"

"/care"

"Kill yourself. Life doesn't exist outside of Earth. aliens are fake you faggot"

"I like ponies"

"Not really"
    only 1 person said "Yes!" so far but the other guy disconnected as soon as he was gonna type something else :(

Makes me sad how ignorant some people can be. or just the fact that I don't see how someone couldn't find that remotely interesting. I don't know about anyone else (except most of you guys) but I find that incredibly fascinating

one guy even called me a nerd :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #937
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,884 Posts
    Going on omegle and in the question I'm trying to get some people the thought of just how amazing the universe is. what I put in the spy-mode question: "400+ billion galaxies. Each with 200-400+ billion stars. A trillion worlds in each galaxy. A world that may be very similar to ours with a variety of life. Isn't that amazing?"

reactions so far:

only 1 person said "Yes!" so far but the other guy disconnected as soon as he was gonna type something else :(

Makes me sad how ignorant some people can be. or just the fact that I don't see how someone couldn't find that remotely interesting. I don't know about anyone else (except most of you guys) but I find that incredibly fascinating

And here we have a prime example of why I hate people.

"not like a i give a shit"
    Especially this person

18. Post #938
    I think up weird situations.
    If it were hypothetically possible to travel outside the observable universe (I know it's impossible; but hypothetically), then no bioluminecent creatures could come. No fireflies in space suits, no fluorescent jellyfish e.t.c. without first being dead. And no spaceships with lights on them.

Edited:

Ha ha bioluminescent creatures are doomed to remain in the observable universe forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #939
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,268 Posts

reactions so far:

You went on Omegle what the fuck did you expect
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #940
    I went on Omgle and asked; "Do you think it's unhealthy that as a historic and current attitude, very few young people - or people in general - take an interest in politics and science, particularly the latter?"

And after about 25 tries I got two people who started discussing politics, one of them apparently had a master in state economics, the other was very fascinated with nuclear physics.
    That made me happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

21. Post #941
    September 2011
    733 Posts

reactions so far:

Sorry to be slack, but it makes me sad how dumb you can be to expect a serious response on omegle

Even in the real world, plenty of people couldn't give a fuck about space
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #942
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,936 Posts
    Space, the final frontier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #943
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,268 Posts
    Note to self: Don't try and look something up quickly at Atomic Rocket before bed, I'll be up until 1 AM.

It's like TVTropes but space.
    Lol rocket fins
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

24. Post #944
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,481 Posts
    Sorry to be slack, but it makes me sad how dumb you can be to expect a serious response on omegle.

I wasn't expecting completely serious answers of course, but I wanted to find out how much people really know.

That's the worst part in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

25. Post #945
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    Sorry to be slack, but it makes me sad how dumb you can be to expect a serious response on omegle

That's not true.. How do you expect interest in science to grow if you don't want to introduce people to it? Sure he looked in a bad place but maybe (probably not judging from replies) thought - "hey this is interesting" and goes to read up on it.

26. Post #946
    September 2011
    733 Posts
    That's not true.. How do you expect interest in science to grow if you don't want to introduce people to it? Sure he looked in a bad place but maybe (probably not judging from replies) thought - "hey this is interesting" and goes to read up on it.
    Um yes it is true, the majority of people don't care about space exploration at all, it's still a niche thing, people see launches on the tv and go "oh yay a launch, that looks cool" and then forget all about it.

If you went around a random city and asked people stuff about space, space history even, I doubt you would get many educated answers.

I don't see why this is so surprising, space isn't a big a thing in society, most people are just worried about their own lives on earth - making money, health, politics, family, etc. The vast majority of people who are actually passionate about space like us either study it, work in the field, or are hobby astronomers or something. It makes perfect sense that they don't care/know much about space.

Also not sure where you're even going with the "don't want to introduce people to it" stuff, I never said anything like that. I never expressed my own opinion on how I feel about the lack of interest/knowledge in space exploration.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

27. Post #947
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    6,734 Posts
    Space, the final frontier.
    or is it..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #948
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    No no, I'm not saying that science is a popular interest in society, I'm just saying that if one does not go and ask or introduce people to it then it will never grow as a common interest, so by going to places like Omegle and other places like that, or to friends or if you have balls, people in the street, then it will never grow as a common interest.

So by calling him dumb for doing that is pretty weird.

Edit:

Lol, I tried the same with the same question
    Stranger 2: nah
    Stranger 1: Meh.
    Sigh..

And again;
    Stranger 2: I think so.
    Stranger 1: it isnt
    Stranger 1 has disconnected
    As soon as you get someone who is interest its usually the other one who is going to ruin it.
    Stranger 1: truely
    Stranger 2: i guess
    Stranger 2: wooptidoo
    Stranger 2 has disconnected
    So close here.. So close..
    Stranger 2: it really is
    Stranger 2: i love astronomy
    Stranger 2: :D
    Stranger 1: well there has to be a similar planet
    *5 minute silence*
    Stranger 1 has disconnected
    And then 2 people managed to turn it into a debate whether jello or pizza was better. :(

29. Post #949
    September 2011
    733 Posts
    No no, I'm not saying that science is a popular interest in society, I'm just saying that if one does not go and ask or introduce people to it then it will never grow as a common interest, so by going to places like Omegle and other places like that, or to friends or if you have balls, people in the street, then it will never grow as a common interest.

So by calling him dumb for doing that is pretty weird.
    I called him dumb because he went on a website populated with 12 year olds and 50 year olds with their dicks out, and asked a question involving space, expecting a serious reply, and did it to find out "how much people really know" - because omegle is a great site for finding out how much people know. If you're going to introduce people to space and want to get into a serious discussion on it, it's probably better to find a more suitable medium.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #950
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,457 Posts
    Am I the only one who get's scared by looking at pictures or videos of black holes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

31. Post #951
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

32. Post #952
    July 2010
    1,321 Posts
    what's up with the chromatic aberration?

33. Post #953
    Dennab
    February 2011
    1,499 Posts
    These, like the Sagan Series, should be a requirement to watch by everybody interested in space.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #954
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,022 Posts
    Watching Moon Machines on youtube about the Spollo guidance system. The Software engineers wrote all the code by hand and, at the beginning, they were working with 72 kb of memory. And instead of harddirve discs, they literally weaved wires into cords at represented 1s and 0s for storing the programs.

Edited:

And the Apollo 11 lunar lander ran out of memory while descending towards the surface of the moon.

35. Post #955
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,268 Posts
    So iwas just out with my telescope and some kids that were ding dong ditching my house for the past week came up again, so I snuck quietly behind them until they realized someone was there and they bolted scared like fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #956
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,481 Posts
    So iwas just out with my telescope and some kids that were ding dong ditching my house for the past week came up again, so I snuck quietly behind them until they realized someone was there and they bolted scared like fuck.
    You should have snatched one and act like a lunatic until they shit themselves so then they won't mess with you again or come near your house.

37. Post #957
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts

CCP sends a balloon to (almost) space.

I can see my house!   

38. Post #958
    June 2011
    326 Posts
    Ahh science class, my time to write crappy stories about epic space battles whilst pretending to take notes. Good thing the school year is almost over

39. Post #959
    May 2012
    316 Posts

CCP sends a balloon to (almost) space.

I can see my house!   
    It's a cool feeling to know that my character's name is on that.

Also:
    ...with a weather balloon rig of suspected Minmatar origin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

40. Post #960
    March 2012
    1,001 Posts

Oooh space, I love your mysteries.