1. Post #481
    October 2008
    1,249 Posts
    I want to strongly advise against the making of an under water tunnel with different heights of water surfaces. Once I have seen such an attempt in a map. The results are those graphical glitches:

It is, because the source's dx9 water doesn't support that well. It has something to do with PVS or something. You can workaround it, but you would have to use unreflective water which is ugly too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

2. Post #482
    geekdeer

December 2009
    216 Posts
    @ HighVoltage :
    You should make it like the tunel from the map wich ( I dont remember the name ) come with wiremod.

3. Post #483
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,825 Posts
    Here is my progress on the submarine room:

As you can see there are a few bugs with the water even though its the same height (same brush to be exact)

How is this for the tunnels? They are not lit yet (the light stool it used in the picture)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 9Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #484
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    These are 512 or 1024 units long an wide, these are generated by vvis. There are hacked versions out there, that are splitting every 2048, 4096 and so on, but there is a reason for that 512/1024 limit I guess.
    1024 units. They are generated by VBsp, not VVis. VVis just goes through a series of passes to calculate what is and what isn't visible.

Seeing this shot:
    You should probably put a func_areaportalwindow by those balconies, because you will be rendering everything on the inside from that angle.

You could (if not already done) place a nodraw brush underneath the displacement hill, in the shape of a triangle. I can't exactly see whats done because I don't have the .vmf Also there is no reason for that concrete going up the slope to be a brush, as you have the wall there already, and I have series doubts anybody is going to be 1-2 units tall and have their visibility blocked from the concrete path.

The building on the bottom left, seen in the original construct, in front of the spawn, you have a room inside of the wall, which you shouldn't be able to see, probably form the lack of a hint/skip. The slant on the left going towards the lake brick wall should have a hint/skip brush to keep the visleafs from cutting excessively, and also keep people that are in front of the building looking towards it, from rendering something they can't see.

Edited:

I want to strongly advise against the making of an under water tunnel with different heights of water surfaces. Once I have seen such an attempt in a map. The results are those graphical glitches:

It is, because the source's dx9 water doesn't support that well. It has something to do with PVS or something. You can workaround it, but you would have to use unreflective water which is ugly too.
    This is caused by Source only having 1 texture to render reflections, which in this case, using the original one you see. This problem is avoidable if you separate their PVS, by not rendering the outside. Or you can keep it the same height.

Edited:

Here is my progress on the submarine room:

As you can see there are a few bugs with the water even though its the same height (same brush to be exact)
    If you are referring seeing the blue aliasing from the water brush touching the wall, you can avoid this by func_detailing the face touching the water (the one with the aliasing.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 22Informative Informative x 3Zing Zing x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #485
    like..dude..nevermind....fuck
    July 2011
    4,629 Posts
    For some reason reading this thread makes me really happy
    i love seeing things progress
    you guys are doing an amazing job and i cant wait to play it when gmod13 hits
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

6. Post #486
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,825 Posts
    If you are referring seeing the blue aliasing from the water brush touching the wall, you can avoid this by func_detailing the face touching the water (the one with the aliasing.)
    I was referring more to this picture with the light blue ripples that are seen from under water.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #487
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    I was referring more to this picture with the light blue ripples that are seen from under water.
    Same solution. Though I don't recommend, as there is a brush there preventing a leak. What you can do is add some sort of balcony so it gets covered. And be sure that is also func_detailed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

8. Post #488
    November 2008
    1,153 Posts
    The ceiling looks a little low, I assume that's due to the fact that there's occupied land ontop of it. Maybe you could extend the tunnel more, then build a larger 'submarine room' outside the map area. I made an image to help explain it

That'd be on the other side of the wall, I drew it like that for perspective. Of course it'd also call for a broader tunnel design as well.

Also if you choose not to do the above and just keep with what you've got, or even do the above and keep that tiny tunnel, I suggest a tunnel entrance in an octagon shape, like so (I had photoshop opened already so I figured I might as well do a small diagram)

I'll be honest though, I don't think the area is fit for a "submarine room", even though the wall may look empty without it, there are better ways to deal with that than squeezing in a submarine room. I think you'd be better off having one of the tunnels in the tunnel system (assuming that's still underway) lead off out of the central map area to a small but reasonably sized concrete "pool" area (with sunlight and all), designed for boat and submarine construction, and then you can easily fit in a submarine room there. I'd say left from spawn (assuming you spawn facing the grass still), because there's skybox buildings there which could hide it a bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,936 Posts
    Do you think a second (smaller) dark room in the submarine room would be good at all?

Maybe even the color room?   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #490
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,442 Posts
    I think that this should be more like this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

11. Post #491
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    485 Posts
    Looks interesting. I'm not sure if your going the easy access route (Meaning exits to the surface) or only through underwater doors?

12. Post #492
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Looks interesting. I'm not sure if your going the easy access route (Meaning exits to the surface) or only through underwater doors?
    It will of course have the underwater entrance, probably will have a tunnel-based entrance, and might have a direct surface-access entrance, but I doubt that one.

Edited:

Maybe we could make the whiteroom super huge. As big as it can go?
    How many people honestly agree with this idea? I think it is not in the best interest of keeping the players close to eachother, if you have a huge-ass white-room.

Also, on a side note, the whiteroom now has two-ply walls, so if you screw with the white-room's transparency, it wont screw up into a blurry-rainbow pile of crap anymore. You wont see the brick-wall behind it unless you set the opacity of the wall to Zero.

Courtesy of Grocel.

13. Post #493
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    485 Posts
    Sounds good. Also did you try some textures for the ugly trim bit? Possibly look into citadel textures that are a similar blue colour if you want.. Or just properly align mine :)

14. Post #494
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    I'd say left from spawn (assuming you spawn facing the grass still), because there's skybox buildings there which could hide it a bit.
    Since the skybox is 3d, all objects not in the actual skybox, that are outside of the skybox zone, are not rendered in the skybox.

Edited:

Sounds good. Also did you try some textures for the ugly trim bit? Possibly look into citadel textures that are a similar blue colour if you want.. Or just properly align mine :)
    We are not meddling with custom textures until near the end of the project.

15. Post #495
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    124 Posts
    I'm stalking this thread so much I feel like a paedophile.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #496
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    I'm stalking this thread so much I feel like a paedophile.
    cause the map is just a baby that we're raising to be the successful adult it needs to be to become a stock map in gm13?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #497

February 2012
    195 Posts
    What about the citadel in the skybox (Just an idea, I wanna see what it would look like :D)

WHAT?! I just wanna see what it looks like :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #498
    November 2008
    1,153 Posts
    Since the skybox is 3d, all objects not in the actual skybox, that are outside of the skybox zone, are not rendered in the skybox.
    Ahk, I couldn't remember how it worked exactly, even so, in that general location wouldn't be a bad spot anyway

19. Post #499
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    Regarding the mirror ents, and how it's rendered.

Internally it uses exactly the same system as the water. I'm going to look into improving the rendering so it draws the player, and isn't low resolution. I'd rather we not use a separate entity for it - because if I improve it in a generic way it'll work on any map - and the maps remain compatible with other games too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 20Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #500
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Here is another compiled test version of the map as it is currently, for all gmod13 and gmod12 players. We dont plan on pushing the update to workshop until we finish the draft of the tunnels and the submarine room is placed/modified as it is needed.

Do not report bugs in this version of the map, only download it for the novelty, and for giving further suggestions to the tunnel system and submarine room.

I also included our (current and likely to change) mapicon that doesn't function properly when added via workshop. (Hint Hint Garry).

http://H2fWLv

Especially do not report cubemaps, they are not being worked on right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #501
    June 2008
    1,524 Posts
    Regarding the mirror ents, and how it's rendered.

Internally it uses exactly the same system as the water. I'm going to look into improving the rendering so it draws the player, and isn't low resolution. I'd rather we not use a separate entity for it - because if I improve it in a generic way it'll work on any map - and the maps remain compatible with other games too.
    Does that mean water reflections will look nicer too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #502
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    485 Posts
    It was brought up some time ago. How do you go about doing the white room garry? I know its some kind of brush based entity?

It would be nice to finally get doors in the white room to make it a completely coloured space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #503
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    It was brought up some time ago. How do you go about doing the white room garry? I know its some kind of brush based entity?

It would be nice to finally get doors in the white room to make it a completely coloured space.
    The white room is constructed of normal brushes converted to func_brush entities, that have nodraw textured on 5 of the 6 sides, and the inside face, that you see, is painted with a custom texture called "gm_construct/color_room".

The func_brush walls also have custom properties of:
    "gmod_allowtools" = "colour button balloon light lamp dynamite thruster paint"
    "gmod_allowphysgun" = "0".

Making the doors painted with the whiteroom texture would be simple, making them have the same properties restricting people to not being able to physgun them and being able to color them would also be simple. The problem is implementing doors, and how you would trigger them without buttons that are easily visible in the room, AND being able to leave the room without noclip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #504
    November 2008
    1,153 Posts
    The problem is implementing doors, and how you would trigger them without buttons that are easily visible in the room, AND being able to leave the room without noclip.
    Couldn't you just make it so if you walked up to the door and pressed your 'use' key on it it would open? Then have a timer so it automatically closes after a few seconds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #505
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Couldn't you just make it so if you walked up to the door and pressed your 'use' key on it it would open? Then have a timer so it automatically closes after a few seconds.
    How to relocate the door in a void of white?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #506
    November 2008
    1,153 Posts
    How to relocate the door in a void of white?
    use colour tool on the wall with another colour, that should make it stand out, assuming it'll be coloured individually

27. Post #507
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Do we want the borders of the doorways also colorable, or do we want just a single brush-based door to cover the entire gap, recessing the door into the wall to make it flush with the rest of the white room?

Edited:

From the lack of response, I will take that as a yes.

Just a concept, nothing is set in stone, just thought I would throw this out there to entertain you.

Edited:

I revised the design of the door, so the inside is 2 func_brush that are colorable, and are parented to the 2 func_doors, and you cannot physgun the func_brushes and you cannot physgun the func_doors, and you cannot color the func_doors, but you CAN of course color the func_brushes that are parented to the doors.

This keeps it from making the doors mimic the same color as the inside of the white room.

[h2]New Video:[/h2]

You may or may not notice that when I color the left panel with blue, right after, I try to color the door itself instead of the panel that is parented to it, and it doesnt do anything, confirming that it wont let you color the inner hallway doors, and of course, you cant physgun either the panels nor the doors themselves.

Edit:

Okay, both sides have doors now, this color-door feature will be kept until either the community votes it to be removed, or we all say that we like it.

I, personally, like it. Textures can, of course, be modified as needed for the small details. (Aka Stripes on door edges can be something else)

Taking my power nap now, will wake up later. Rate Winner if you like it, and would like it kept after being tweaked a little.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 32Zing Zing x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #508
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,442 Posts

How many people honestly agree with this idea? I think it is not in the best interest of keeping the players close to eachother, if you have a huge-ass white-room.
    I fail to see the harm in this. A huge white room and darkroom are fun and doesn't harm the rest of the map.

Edited:

Do we want the borders of the doorways also colorable, or do we want just a single brush-based door to cover the entire gap, recessing the door into the wall to make it flush with the rest of the white room?
    Make it borderless for simplicities's sake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #509

July 2010
    2,063 Posts

Edited:

From the lack of response, I will take that as a yes.

Just a concept, nothing is set in stone, just thought I would throw this out there to entertain you.

Edited:

I revised the design of the door, so the inside is 2 func_brush that are colorable, and are parented to the 2 func_doors, and you cannot physgun the func_brushes and you cannot physgun the func_doors, and you cannot color the func_doors, but you CAN of course color the func_brushes that are parented to the doors.

This keeps it from making the doors mimic the same color as the inside of the white room.

[h2]New Video:[/h2]

You may or may not notice that when I color the left panel with blue, right after, I try to color the door itself instead of the panel that is parented to it, and it doesnt do anything, confirming that it wont let you color the inner hallway doors, and of course, you cant physgun either the panels nor the doors themselves.

Edit:

Okay, both sides have doors now, this color-door feature will be kept until either the community votes it to be removed, or we all say that we like it.

I, personally, like it. Textures can, of course, be modified as needed for the small details. (Aka Stripes on door edges can be something else)

Taking my power nap now, will wake up later. Rate Winner if you like it, and would like it kept after being tweaked a little.

Please tell me the texture isn't final.
    I like the idea but the door texture is awful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #510

February 2012
    195 Posts
    Just make the door texture the same as the whiteroom material!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9 (list)

31. Post #511
    Casual Bananas
    February 2011
    1,716 Posts
    I don't think it's awful, but it's a bit odd that those types of doors would slide out of concrete like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #512
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,329 Posts
    Just make the door texture the same as the whiteroom material!
    That would look awful with the brickwall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #513
    November 2008
    1,153 Posts
    6 people seem to be disagreeing with this post so far, I think I may as well offer an alternative that I had in mind.

The current texture you're using I find rather unfitting. The width looks stretched, it has windows on it (even though they're blocked so you can't see through them, the very idea of using a door like this I find silly) and of course there's also, like someone mentioned already, the fact that a door like this behaves like this is a little unusual, though I don't have a huge problem with that personally, though it'd be ideal to have it making as much sense as possible, even though some will argue realism shouldn't be factored into the map design.

Here's a quick concept design I came up with, not overly advanced but more fitting than the current doors.

The grey/brown part is a metal texture of course (I'm sure there's plenty of fitting HL2 textures for something like this), and the red and white stripes the same texture currently used for the inside of the doors (that should remain the same too btw)

Just an idea of course, I think it'd be better than the current door for sure, though others may disagree.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #514
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,209 Posts
    http://i.imgur.com/09pva.jpg

Are you going to put 3d skybox terrain outside the boundaries? Floating trees looks weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

35. Post #515
    April 2011
    398 Posts
    Maybe add some ground to the 3-D skybox. It's always bugged me that going past 6 feet in the air allowed you to see the invisible ground beneath the buildings, and that problem is even more prominent now that there are solid, stand-on-able brushes up there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

36. Post #516
    January 2012
    26 Posts
    I didn't get to check out everything on the map, but when I played it, the first thing I noticed was the lighting.

You really nailed it. I love the early evening feel of it. It makes me feel really warm inside.

But I noticed some things I didn't like, and if these have been mentioned already, I apologize.

Are you planning on adding stairs instead of ladders? The ladders make it look...(non-existant word ahead)

...unbuildinglike.

Plus, this:

Either it's my computer, or I can't see myself in the mirror.

Other than that, I love the HELL out of this map and I can't wait to explore it more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Funny Funny x 1Late Late x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #517
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    485 Posts
    The mirrir is secretly another room :V of corse far beyond sources capabilities
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Disagree Disagree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

38. Post #518
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,878 Posts
    Either it's my computer, or I can't see myself in the mirror.

Other than that, I love the HELL out of this map and I can't wait to explore it more.
    Read the thread first before saying stuff like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #519
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,329 Posts
    After looking at some of the progress that was made on the submarine room,
    As far as my idea for the design of the submarine room goes. I know I didn't show it well in my design but:

I did picture the tunnel sloping down at a couple of points with that small platform being on a flat section of the tunnel in the middle, and water pouring in from the lake, through the tunnel, and into the pool of the main room.
    ( I thought of it being like that because I knew there would be problems with the map being above it, but I guess I didn't quite know how difficult that would actually be to implement)

I also wanted the actual room to have a high ceiling. (The ceiling from the room in the progress shots high-voltage posted is WAY too low)

If it's too difficult to implement a tunnel that slopes down with the water, you might have to start from scratch as far as the concept goes or just not do an area like that at all.

(Also, assuming it did work out, someone did post a good idea a couple of pages back about the room having a rock ceiling which would definitely look better than flat concrete.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #520
    January 2012
    26 Posts
    Read the thread first before saying stuff like this.
    "You can, but there are issues that arise by running the map in Gmod12, such as the mirror in the mirror room being glitched. So we discourage it."

I'm running GMod 13.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 6Funny x 1Zing x 1Useful x 1Late x 1 (list)