1. Post #361
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    I do believe you have done that on balcony, some stairs and doorways, but the mat_leafvis 3 and decompiled map shows me that you haven't done that on every doorway and stairs.
    What the hell. I wonder if HighVoltage undid the entities. They USED to all be func_detail, but looking at the map myself, the damn stairs undid themselves and are normal brushes again. What the hell happened...

Edited:

When he redid the stairs to be larger, he must have forgotten to func_detail them again, im doing that right now.

Edit:

[h2]Done.[/h2]

Edit #2:
    [h2]All doorway arches have been reverted to func_details (again), and the stairs going from the darkroom to the grass-field has been restored as a func_detail (again). As long as no issues arise from doing this, it will remain this way.[/h2]

Edited:

Also, small texture misalignment here:
    [h2]Fixed.[/h2]

Edited:

Damn, making some of the archways func_details made them leak into the void, I am going to selectively un-entitify those brushes and keep them that way, there is no need to make every single arch a func_detail of the performance boost is any less than 2 frames, which right now seems to be the case.

Edited:

Recompiling with the most recent changes and going to test uploading and pushing an update to the workshop version of the map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #362
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    Just an idle question, but are you going to add player clips over the steps to stairs so that we don't actually have to "step up" the stairs and won't catch on the steps when we try to hop up the stairs?

I hop up a lot of stairs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #363
    Google first. ( Wiki )
    May 2008
    7,780 Posts
    And also, add targetname to light_enviroment, please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #364
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts

Changelog Available Here: http://••••••••GNw6Gt
    Steam Workshop Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...ails/?id=18371

Visual Update for Robotboy655:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #365
    December 2009
    136 Posts
    works fine, thanks

6. Post #366
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    look i'm sorry to have to say what's already been said but could you stop making things in your posts randomly big and with nice photoshopped titles and everything

that's unneeded, especially for a work in progress

i can understand that for the OP but come on

[/nag]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 11Zing Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #367
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Going to take a nap now, I have work in 3 hours, and I have put a couple nice changes here and there, and the map is now on workshop for the most part. (I will look into alternatives for Gmod 12 users).

Will be home to work on this project further in about 9 hours from now. See you all then.

Edited:

look i'm sorry to have to say what's already been said but could you stop making things in your posts randomly big and with nice photoshopped titles and everything

that's unneeded, especially for a work in progress

i can understand that for the OP but come on

[/nag]
    It stands out more than a normal post, first of all.

Second of all, since the image is already pre-cached into your browser, there is no overhead other than a half-second of image loadtime. (The image is 16kb)

And lastly, third of all, It is completely irrelevant as to whether or not the project is a work in progress or not, being what determines how you post updates in the thread; I want the posts to be big, noticable, and to have information such as links for people who cannot be bothered more than to skim over the thread, for downloads and the changelog.

Good Night Max, and goodnight (again), everyone else.

Edited:

Going to shrink the update image and keep things slightly smaller from now on, in the thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #368

March 2012
    4 Posts

Changelog Available Here: http://••••••••GNw6Gt
    Steam Workshop Page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...ails/?id=18371

Visual Update for Robotboy655:
    The leafs can be also in diagonal, its not really necessary there but i just want give you some additional info. Anyway more info in this post (i dont know if you read it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #369
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,412 Posts
    I'll think that this new construct should be mapping contest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #370
    January 2012
    768 Posts
    I'll think that this new construct should be mapping contest.
    Sounds to me like SOMEBODY wants to enter...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

11. Post #371
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    Just had a run around the steamworks version. Loving it so far, here's my notes:

I would get rid of this hole, and the ladder hole.

I know it's cool and it's easy access. But I feel it'd be cooler if each floor was self contained and the only access to them was via the balconies. Then you could go up there and build something without anyone knowing - then be like "come on the 4th floor".

Not a fan of this elevated walkway.

I think it would look better if it went along the ground.

You shouldn't ever see out of the skybox when you're standing on the ground..

I'd make this building hollow inside, but you can only get in there via noclip, or some really long underground tunnel.

This seems like a good place to have a big underwater tunnel to a secret area..

I still hate these light models that are everywhere

I think it'd look better with unexplained light.

I get a weird feeling that this shouldn't be joined.. maybe wall it off and have a dead end alley way between the two buildings, and have the tunnel going between them go back into the void and loop around and go into the building next door..

Maybe we could make the whiteroom super huge. As big as it can go?

I get a feeling more could be done with this tunnel. Maybe make it bigger, and make it stretch all the way down to the building at the end with the hollow inside? Maybe have it go under the map and join up with the submarine tunnel at the other end? Maybe have it come up in the lobby building at the other side too?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree x 47Winner x 5Friendly x 2Useful x 2Zing x 1 (list)

12. Post #372
    I paid $1 and all got was an STD
    October 2007
    1,798 Posts
    I still think there should be a mirror instead of just workshop because now I can't test.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #373
    October 2008
    1,249 Posts
    If you want to make under water tunnels you could get problems with the water's reflection, because the there is some stuff you have to mind about vis and such. I already had such problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #374
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,412 Posts
    Maybe carved in lights fits more?

Edited:

Sounds to me like SOMEBODY wants to enter...
    Well, kinda I feel like rebuilding the whole thing with Source 2012 quality.
    But sametime i feel that i want to map 592356 maps
    (Head is overloaded with ideas)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #375
    Google first. ( Wiki )
    May 2008
    7,780 Posts
    More notes:
    What about removing the windows on the sides of balcony? They look rather odd. (The black ones)

And what about removing the first level of windows here? They look really bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 21Zing Zing x 1 (list)

16. Post #376
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    *map suggestions*
    I'm having a lot of trouble discerning if you're joking or not on a few of these because a lot of them are good, but the others seem a bit silly..

For the buildings I feel there needs to be a front door and easy floor access by default, if someone wants to block off their floor I think they can do it themselves, it just seems like better design to me if all of the buildings are easy to access.

the skybox-seeing is a valid point and should be fixed.

I think the grounding of the raised walkway is a fine suggestion, but my assumption was that it was to emulate the raised walkway in the original construct. I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

I love the idea of making the other building(s) hollow inside, but I'm not sure about secret tunnels and noclip-only areas. As I said above, I feel that it's important for the buildings to have easy access on the ground floor because if a server has noclip disabled you wouldn't be able to get inside easily. Also Secret tunnels seem a bit silly to me for a stock map. Just my opinion though

The underwater tunnel might be an interesting idea, but I agree with the notion that it would start making the map a bit too complicated, but I would accept the addition if it were added.

I agree 100% that that light model is used way too much, it should either be used less or maybe substituted for some other lighting model/source

The two joined buildings do look a bit odd, I think an alleyway would suit it fine.

I don't know if it would be necessary to make the white room VERY massive, but it would be fine probably.

And finally as for the darkroom-tunnel idea, I think that one would work as an underground tunnel since it would multitask as a secondary entrance to both the newly-hollowed building and the underwater area if they are added. I'm okay with that.

I hope the finished product is added to the beta, I like the revisions and I think it would be great as a stock map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

17. Post #377
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,656 Posts
    Do you really think we are that dumb? We already func_detailed every balcony, every set of stairs, every doorway arch, and every little detail that was not a part of the core-map.
    And we most DEFINATELY already func_detailed those stairs in that image. I dont know where you can go around assuming how the brushwork is made when you dont have the VMF source. If for some reason you think that those stairs are not func_detailed, I am here to tell you, they are.
    There's no need to get so uppity about it. We can assume it isn't done properly by how the visleafs are created in game. I personally don't trust the in game visleafs as much as I trust the ones Hammer shows (available after compiling with VVIS once). But seeing as we can't use that, we can only assume from what the game shows.

Edited:

asdf, there was another page where you explained you fixed it. Fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #378
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    650 Posts
    Yeah after he got all huffy about how it was right already.

19. Post #379
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,508 Posts
    Maybe carved in lights fits more?

Edited:

Well, kinda I feel like rebuilding the whole thing with Source 2012 quality.
    But sametime i feel that i want to map 592356 maps
    (Head is overloaded with ideas)
    You would probably win, and I'd be really excited to see whatever you come up with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #380
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    It isn't a roleplaying map. You don't need fast access to everywhere. It SHOULD have areas that are hard to get to without noclip. That's how gm_construct works. There were never steps to get to the hangar roof, or onto the tall buildings.

If we're gonna update it then lets update it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 24Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #381
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    It isn't a roleplaying map. You don't need fast access to everywhere. It SHOULD have areas that are hard to get to without noclip. That's how gm_construct works. There were never steps to get to the hangar roof, or onto the tall buildings.

If we're gonna update it then lets update it.
    I guess I see where you're coming from there, I guess it's better for there to be areas that are hard to get to without noclip, however I don't think there should be any areas that are impossible to get to without it. Ultimate choice goes to you I guess, though, since you ARE making the game and get to choose the stock maps :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #382
    January 2010
    207 Posts
    Really great job so far, guys!
    All I wanted to suggest was maybe a few more nodes/tracks for birds. (Like flying onto skyscrapers, onto corners of buildings/balconies.)
    Instead of them just sitting on the ground, flying straight up, and then falling.

And maybe trees that are a bit more alive?

To me, the old Construct is in the past, and this one is in the present, so the trees should be growing greener.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 30 (list)

23. Post #383
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    however I don't think there should be any areas that are impossible to get to without it.
    There weren't any in the old one either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #384
    May 2008
    240 Posts
    There weren't any in the old one either.
    There was the credits room, but I don't really count that as part of the map so that's fine as an out-of-map area

unless you mean an earlier construct, I don't know about anything before gmod10

25. Post #385

July 2010
    2,063 Posts
    The dark to light blending on the grass is really bad. It should be really smooth and subtle rather than quite a jarring transition, in my opinion.

26. Post #386
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    To me, the old Construct is in the past, and this one is in the present, so the trees should be growing greener.
    Yup, it would be much better if we could use the episode two pine trees, but unless gmod is gonna ship with those models... :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

27. Post #387
    I'm the only black guy on The Internet huh?
    March 2012
    864 Posts
    Would you guys accept a nice looking tree card? Because I can make a nice one.

(The things in the skybox, that don't look pretty.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

28. Post #388
    November 2010
    2,918 Posts
    -snip-

29. Post #389
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    Also, I really think the skybox needs some ground and hills in the distance, maybe akin to the flatgrass concept that was thrown around the other day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

30. Post #390
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,567 Posts
    Also, I really think the skybox needs some ground and hills in the distance, maybe akin to the flatgrass concept that was thrown around the other day
    Some mountain or tree cards in the distance to give the effect of it going on forever after the grass would work pretty nicely, like what Valve did with TF2's skyboxes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #391
    October 2008
    1,249 Posts
    Also please replace the nodraw texture behind the white/color-able walls in the white/color room with a brick texture or something.

That will fix the flickering when you set the the white walls to an alpha less than 255.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

32. Post #392
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,656 Posts
    Also please replace the nodraw texture behind the white/color-able walls in the white/color room with a brick texture or something.

That will fix the flickering when you set the the white walls to an alpha less than 255.
    we've tried telling them to do this multiple times. And they keep refusing for no good reason. It would make the map much more robust, there is no reason not to do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

33. Post #393
    August 2011
    391 Posts
    The map is excellently noded, when playing this map with NPCs i got a few scares from guards and fast zombies, no bugs to report so far, all seems well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

34. Post #394

January 2012
    125 Posts
    Couple of suggestions:
    Move wall to red line

Cut off the building from the block of flats and align with grass
    yes I posted this before but it seems relevant again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Late Late x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #395

February 2012
    195 Posts
    Couple of suggestions:

Lol wut?

FALSE ALARM
    My browser displayed those 2 pics as exactly the same! ¬.¬
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #396
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    we've tried telling them to do this multiple times. And they keep refusing for no good reason. It would make the map much more robust, there is no reason not to do it.
    Probably because they're only listening to Garry at this point
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #397
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Holey Moses. One thing at a time. Going to archive a backup of the map as it is now, and start going all willy-wonka on it with the suggestions. I will post images as I go.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

38. Post #398

February 2012
    195 Posts
    Holey Moses. One thing at a time. Going to archive a backup of the map as it is now, and start going all willy-wonka on it with the suggestions. I will post images as I go.
    Yay, I feel like a kid in a candy store! (I bet I get rated 'Dumb' for this).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic x 3Dumb x 2Disagree x 2Agree x 2Winner x 2Late x 2Useful x 2Zing x 2Informative x 2Funny x 1Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #399
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    I would get rid of this hole, and the ladder hole.

I know it's cool and it's easy access. But I feel it'd be cooler if each floor was self contained and the only access to them was via the balconies. Then you could go up there and build something without anyone knowing - then be like "come on the 4th floor".
    [h2]Done.[/h2]

Edited:

Not a fan of this elevated walkway.

I think it would look better if it went along the ground.
    [h2]Done.[/h2]

Edited:

You shouldn't ever see out of the skybox when you're standing on the ground..

[h2]Done.[/h2]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner x 12Dumb x 1Friendly x 1Agree x 1Artistic x 1Zing x 1 (list)

40. Post #400
    January 2010
    288 Posts
    Awww dang. I liked those holes. At least add some kind of ramp to get up to the top of the building. As people have said, not every server will have noclip enabled.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)