1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,104 Posts
    what are the bolts for?
    anomalies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 71Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 3 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,310 Posts
    Where did you get that helmet form?

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    674 Posts
    this is falling on deaf ears, it's not 'typical equipment' but it's still useful

you do want to rush through that boring 100cm high concrete pipe you can't walk in to reach your destination (the large awesome sandblasted bit of the tunnel) etc
    I know what you mean bye, I use my board for transportation. Then just strap it on my backpack when it's time to walk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    1,755 Posts
    The bolts? Hell, I'm more interested in why he has a WWII era German helmet.

edited
    Well played, Artyom. Well played.

Current kit includes:
    -Hoodie & jeans
    -Apple iPhone (turned off)
    -US Army surplus boots

-US Army surplus kneepads

-Mechanix gloves

-Maglite 2D LED Flashlight

-Gerber Paraframe

-Driver's license

And that's it. No snacks or water, Sharpies or spray paint. Just the bare essentials. I figure the more I have the more I weigh, and I would much rather run from a fight than, um, fight in one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    June 2012
    2 Posts
    I've got that same knife
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,629 Posts
    I haven't been urbexing myself but I would probably take

Phone - Communication
    iPod - Recording
    Flashlight
    Extra flashlight batteries
    Hoodie
    Small bag to hold my various shit
    Respirator
    Chalk (in case I need to climb)
    Snack/Drink
    Glasses
    Maybe some kind of note saying who I am and who to contact in case I died

Edited:

If I could get away with it I'd probably bring a small knife and maybe a lighter too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

7. Post #47
    A six sided fish cube of the Flounder variety
    March 2010
    3,185 Posts
    I checked out an abandoned school the other night with some buddies of mine. All we had was a flashlight, a metal pipe that we found there, and common sense. The last one being the most important.

8. Post #48
    January 2012
    359 Posts
    I have a Gerber Bear Grylls knife. Pretty intense and intimidating, that bitch is sharp. Problem is as it has been brought to my attention, this is most definitely considered a concealed deadly weapon. I no longer bring this item with me while exploring. If caught by authorities, it will bring about many more problems than simply a fine for trespassing. Be selective about what weapons you bring, and be well informed about local laws while exploring. Some areas are more lenient than others when it comes to concealed weapons.

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    1,757 Posts
    In pocket :
    HTC One X
    Small laser pointer 200mW (purple, also serves as Black Light)
    Swiss army knife

In backpack :

Lunch, snacks, drinks
    Another army knife
    Flash light : 180 LM x2 (one for backup)
    Backup batteries for flash light
    Emergency charger for standard USB
    Charge cable One X
    backup battery for camera

Around neck :
    Nikon D5100

Just got the D5100 so can't wait to use it, back packed for tomorrow

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,549 Posts
    I rarely go out and do stuff like this, but I usually go with just some bottled water and two ~1.5 feet lengths of re-bar bent into ice-pick like spikes (for self defense and climbing up the outsides of buildings with no entrance)

Edited:

or at least that's what I had last time, I found the rebar on the floor and bent it over a campfire, it was the literal only fun I had on a boy scout camping trip.

Checked out some "abandoned" ww2 bunkers, there was someone sleeping in one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,227 Posts
    I don't urbex anymore, but when I did;
    Some big-ish maglite flashlight
    A portable flood light
    Backpack with a few bottles of water, matches and some other small things
    Respirator

I would usually wear a thick pair of steel-capped boots and overalls.

Might start up again around halloween though, plenty of people willing to come with around then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    6,394 Posts
    I dont really take much to be honest, never felt the need to

Pockets
    Phone (a 2005 nokia for calls, never let me down)
    iPhone (for music/pics)
    Multitool [sometimes] (Its basically a tinny pair of pliers with screwdrivers in it)

Bag
    Bottle of drink (carbonated water or squash)
    Camera (some cannon from a few years ago)
    Sandwich [sometimes] (nutella or veggie ham)
    Screwdriver [sometimes] (more practical to use than the multitool)

Things I'm going to start bringing
    Gasmask/respirator (For this I need help from you guys, I know nothing at all about this kinda stuff)
    Flashlight (Probably going to go and buy a maglite, or use the one I already have)
    Chalk (Going to take some with me today)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    January 2012
    246 Posts
    Only time I've "explored" was a long abandoned and melting motel off some random backroad in Missouri, and abusing the keycard they gave me during my internship with a company in Germany. 'Course, as it turns out, the places I "explored" there ended up being my future workspaces.

EDIT: Oh, and on that same German trip there was a military base whose back area was unused. But all the buildings had a fire extinguisher and I noticed some of the local youths who frequent the location had used some rubber tie-downs to make footholds in the 10' fence. Still debating whether or not I should add a couple of those to my survival kit.

14. Post #54
    March 2009
    4 Posts
    My usual equipment depends on where I'm going, but mostly it's:

Mountainsmith Spectrum backpack
    Canon T2i
    Canon 18-55 Wide
    Canon 100-300 TP
    Nikon Coolpix S4100 (for video)
    Several SD Cards for both the T2 and the Coolpix
    Spare Batteries for both T2 and the Coolpix
    Notebook
    2 Pens
    Whatever clothing I happen to be wearing at the time
    Blackhawk finger-less gloves
    CRKT M21 pocketknife

A fairly simple stuff except for the Cameras.

15. Post #55
    On a regular basis I like to go to furry conventions and yiff with my friends. I also love MLP
    October 2012
    823 Posts
    I just don't understand all the hassle about the police. Maybe it's becuz in my hometown/country there just isn't any. (never seen a cop in my hometown or near it, lol)

Stuff that I bring with me:

Spray paints (usually neon green, black, red, white)
    Machete (if I see junkies, happens quite a lot actually, they freak out if I put my hoodie on and take out my machete :3)
    Flashlight (Incase of basements)
    lockpicks? lol who needs them, when you got a crowbar... or homemade explosives (damn, you have no idea how fun is to blow up doors)
    and a camera; rarely ( what you see with your own eyes, is the most important, not what you look through your lens)

Are you 7 or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

16. Post #56
    On a regular basis I like to go to furry conventions and yiff with my friends. I also love MLP
    October 2012
    823 Posts
    The bolts? Hell, I'm more interested in why he has a WWII era German helmet.

edited
    Well played, Artyom. Well played.

Current kit includes:
    -Hoodie & jeans
    -Apple iPhone (turned off)
    -US Army surplus boots

-US Army surplus kneepads

-Mechanix gloves

-Gerber Paraframe

-Driver's license

And that's it. No snacks or water, Sharpies or spray paint. Just the bare essentials. I figure the more I have the more I weigh, and I would much rather run from a fight than, um, fight in one.
    If you get caught with that knife, depending on the area that could do more harm to you then good. But then again I've never been urban exploring so I wouldn't know. I'd love to do so one day, and I like your set. I'm just not digging the knife.

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    1,755 Posts
    If you get caught with that knife, depending on the area that could do more harm to you then good. But then again I've never been urban exploring so I wouldn't know. I'd love to do so one day, and I like your set. I'm just not digging the knife.
    The thing about carrying knives is to keep them 'utility sized'. I got pulled over and searched once while I was walking back from a trip. I calmly explained to the officer that I had no intentions of ever using my knife against someone, and that I carried it solely for cutting things, not people.

In general, cops are not 'out to get you'. So long as you're not carrying any crazy B&E gear or spray paint or what-have-you, they'll be willing to listen to why you have a small knife on you. It's all about credibility. If you have a camera with you, excellent. You can show them the pics you took to convince them you weren't dealing drugs or some crap. Worst case scenario, they might fine you and confiscate the knife from you then send you on your way.

Ultimately it's up to you whether or not carrying a knife is worth the risk of getting in trouble.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    December 2011
    1,964 Posts
    -Mechanix gloves
    -Gerber Paraframe
    -Driver's license
    A-are you me?
    I hate my paraframe, left it in my pocket and pulled it out it was fucking full of change.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

19. Post #59
    i am the mango master
    June 2011
    1,056 Posts
    -backpack
    -water
    -butter knife
    -flashlight
    -crowbar
    -cell phone and walkie talkie
    -some snacks cuz I get hungry yo

well I've only really done this once when I 'broke into' an abandoned warehouse complex near my neighborhood and the above is what I brought

20. Post #60
    August 2009
    782 Posts
    In reply to everyone asking about my stuff, I carry the bolts for, yes, anomalies. They're also fun to toss and hear the reverberation in a large, empty, factory machining room. The helmet is actually a Belgian helmet from the same time period. (Worth significantly less, picked on up for forty dollars.) Sanded it down and re-painted it fieldgrau so it looks practically identical to a German M44/45 helmet. Saved me from a couple bad head dings a few times.

21. Post #61
    May 2012
    101 Posts
    -backpack
    -butter knife
    >butter knife
    >ishygddt

22. Post #62
    January 2011
    690 Posts
    bong

23. Post #63
    General idiot.
    Dennab
    March 2012
    119 Posts
    cocaine

24. Post #64
    May 2010
    1,141 Posts
    I wish I had places around me that I could explore. Around here, they tear everything down if it's abandoned...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)