1. Post #201
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,967 Posts
    New topic? How did you guys discover mapping/source/garrysmod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #202
    Taco bell is dubstep, then who was dubstep?

So ur wit ur honey and yur making out wen the phone rings. U anser it n the vioce is "wut r u doing wit my daughter?" U tell ur girl n she say "my dad is ded". THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

EDIT: My bro showed me source SDK after HL2 had just released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #203
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,559 Posts
    I always liked using map editors, back in WC3 I used to run a community when I was like 11, which was about 2005. We went and made custom maps and just screwed around on footman frenzy. Then one night I was at a lock in back in 06 or 07, (I can't remember) found a guy playing gmod, where he spawned a ragdoll and put a balloon on him, then shot him with a crossbow. I thought it was funny as hell and wanted to get it. After doing that for a while, I was roughly 13, when I looked into some level design stuff for source. So almost 5 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #204
    Searching for vids of BF2142 Sandbox, coming across a video that looked interesting, it was Garry's mod noobtrap tutorial, My life was forever changed.

Also, I added the Yap And Blabber section to the mumble server (vpserver.red-city.org)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I told this guy I would make a level for him if he gave me hl2 and then he did so I was like "well shoot I better start learning"

he forgot about it soon after, but that's how i got hl2 and started to learn mapping

that was when I was like 11 or something? i dunno
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #206
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,967 Posts
    I saw some video of a dude making sonic ragdolls flying around doing weird stunts and I thought it was amazing, don't know why I ever got into making maps though.. it was like off and on for like 2 years until I actually made anything

7. Post #207
    March 2010
    1,043 Posts
    My friend made two random maps for HL2:DM, and about a year later, I remembered he did, and I wanted to get into mapping too, so he sent me his maps ans stuff and I started to learn, along with some video tutorials I watched. It's kinda weird because I've never really had something I've ACTUALLY wanted to map and had some big inspiration to create something until August 2011 when I became obsessed with Mirror's Edge. Everything I did before was essentially learning brushwork, NOT using fullbright, and looking at prefabs to see how stuff was made (and copying some because of laziness).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

8. Post #208
    March 2010
    1,473 Posts
    My brother downloaded the hl2 demo onto his craptop and I loved it, even in 20 fps. A month later, we bought the orange box with our parents credit card. I don't think they ever noticed. I've been interested in game creation since I can remember, so I guess I must've stumbled upon some custom maps or something and thus, the sdk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

9. Post #209
    STOMBS
    December 2009
    698 Posts
    Timesplitters 2, 10 years ago inspired me to make maps.

Sauerbraten, or the Cube Engine 6 years ago inspired me to make more complex maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #210
    SourceForts, that mod actually got me into Source mapping, or online games in general, or just games in general.
    Now I'm part of the few remaining devs on that mod (called Project Haven now)

11. Post #211
    Bitch Plzzz!
    Dennab
    September 2011
    834 Posts
    I discovered Garrys Mod by finding Taco n Banana on google and I thought it was cool so I bought garrysmod.

12. Post #212
    January 2009
    212 Posts
    I received the Orange Box as a gift 3-4 years ago and first opened it up a few months afterwards. I played through the HL2 and Portal campaigns are was so amazed by them (I think these were the first FPS games I had ever played on my PC.) Anyways, somewhere along the road I found GMod videos on youtube. These, of course, brought about my interest in Garry's Mod, but before I got GMod I attempted to map for HL2. My first map was a block with a ramp up to it... only I made the Skybox a solid brush rather than a set of walls and I forgot the player start. I became very upset when I spawned and all I saw was sky, luckily though, I tried again and made a small city (and I was damn proud of it.) I recall a friend telling me to add a light_environment but I refused because I thought fullbright looked awesome. After that I made a bunch of HL2 campaign maps and didn't really get into GMod mapping until I found garrysmod.org and Facepunch. Mapping has become a major hobby for me since.

13. Post #213
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,579 Posts
    I first heard about half life through Garry's Mod 8 or 9. I got half life 1 and 2 for Christmas right when Garry's Mod was updating to version 10.

14. Post #214
    Trans genders are gays with mental dis orders
    Dennab
    January 2012
    3,881 Posts
    I need 10 models UVW Mapped by Saturday or else I'm screwed

I can't UVW map :<
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

15. Post #215
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    Got Garry's Mod shortly after completing Half-Life 2, was pretty into it for a while. Joined Facepunch around that time, then I learned to map so I could make ~epic~ NPC battlegrounds and the like.
    Fortunately I soon got bored of that, and started posting here with proper work. You have all helped me a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #216
    HASHTAG!
    January 2012
    551 Posts
    I found Garrysmod back in 2008 on youtube and then thought I'd buy it hehe!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #217
    March 2010
    1,473 Posts
    Hey I have question that I think is more of a discussion than a I-need-help-with-this question. Source maps have more and more been relying on models instead of bsp geometry to add detail. Besides the reason that modeling tools are easier to use than hammer (for some), why is this? What makes models special so that much more of them can be included in a map than func_detail'd geometry?

18. Post #218
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,579 Posts
    Hey I have question that I think is more of a discussion than a I-need-help-with-this question. Source maps have more and more been relying on models instead of bsp geometry to add detail. Besides the reason that modeling tools are easier to use than hammer (for some), why is this? What makes models special so that much more of them can be included in a map than func_detail'd geometry?
    Models are easier to make great detail with.

Most modern engines rely heavily on models instead of actual map geometry. What they usually do is make the basic map with the level editor, then make all the details with props.
    This also causes the filesizes to be smaller due to the models not actually being a part of the map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    288 Posts
    As a kid, I only used the internet for getting cheats of cheatplanet or looking up what games were coming out on IGN. Eventually my stepdad showed me a site called "big-boys" (Which is now Break.com) and they had this video posted called "A few good Gmen" I thought it was amazing. I had heard Half-Life 2 was amazing and needed super computer to run it, but that was the first time I had actually saw it.

I looked it up on the still fresh faced YouTube and I found other 'Half-life 2" videos in the related section. I found those old dominoes videos in what I assumed was Half-Life 2. My parents had just updated the computer to be able to run Age of Mythology so I thought there was a possibility Half-Life 2 would ever run on my computer. I bought the game and installed it- it ran terribly, but that did not stop me, I looked all over the main menu looking for an "Editor" button like TimeSplitters 2. I couldn't find it and was upset I just bought this game for $30 (It came with CS:S) that didn't run or have the editor in it.

I had tinkered in Map Editor programs a lot as a kid, Age of Empires, Caesar games; I assumed it was done with a map maker of some sort. I just knew there had to be one in Half-Life 2 so frustrated I asked on one of the videos "Where can I get the Half-Life 2 map maker? I can't find it" I was told that I could download Source SDK off of Steam, but the video was made in Garry's Mod 9.
    Needless to say, Garry's mod was the blackhole of my free time for months to come.
    Here is a Robot I made in between drag races and putting pet head crabs in a large trash compacter loaded up with the VMFloader. No wiremod, no hover balls, no grace in its walking what so ever
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwMZQjnpMQg

It was the map Freespace03 what drove me to want to make my own map. I constantly thought about what the map needed; how it could be better. I was intimidated by the learning curve of the Hammer, but my older brother undaunted loaded it up and started working away at it. Reading tutorial after tutorial and eventually made a box with a light and some water.
    He was my teacher, he showed me how the tools worked and I began what is now my favourite hobby.

Now I am at an impasse. I have more then five years experience working with these and other development tools; I am not sure if I want this hobby to be a job or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #220
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,814 Posts
    In the office now setting up the teamspeak server on one of the Dell Racks we have here, hopefully this should work as opposed to running on desktop PC!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

21. Post #221
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    646 Posts
    Started mapping for Episode one back in 2007, discovered source with the half-life 2 demo back in 2005 I think. I remember looking up Garry's mod on Steam store but I played 9.0.4 before I bought it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #222
    April 2009
    1,095 Posts
    I played Hl2 first mission in cybercafe over and over again, so I bought it, I was always more for creating than playing so somehow it led me to hammer. its more than 4 years now, and i never released single map...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #223
    WiP about GW2
    November 2011
    4,764 Posts
    I played Hl2 first mission in cybercafe over and over again, so I bought it, I was always more for creating than playing so somehow it led me to hammer. its more than 4 years now, and i never released single map...
    First mission? You mean first chapter? (Getting to Alyx?)

Edited:

I discovered it via HL as well, but I never played garry's mod.

EDIT:
    More like that trainstation and those apartments before alyx finds you
    Like i said, getting to alyx. Imo every chapter was amazing, and my first experience with HL2... Amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events

24. Post #224
    April 2009
    1,095 Posts
    First mission? You mean first chapter? (Getting to Alyx?).
    More like that trainstation and those apartments before alyx finds you, i remember first time i spent about 30 minutes just finding that ladder to get to apartments, i was just walking around that sqare ... good times
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #225
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    I found sdk round about the same time i made this account. It was an easy way for me to show people what i was thinking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #226
    J!m
    I Love Big Gay Dragons
    June 2009
    1,406 Posts
    Found Garry's mod at around 2007, found SDK at 2009 and made my account to release my first map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

27. Post #227
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,814 Posts
    I found sdk round about the same time i made this account. It was an easy was for me to show people what i was thinking.
    Yet nobody still doesn't know what you're thinking even through the medium of maps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #228
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Yet nobody still doesn't know what you're thinking even through the medium of maps
    Hell, i don't know what i'm thinking half the time :)

Oh yeh...for those who don't religiously look at my screenshots...it's got bigger.

Much screaming and hitting the pc with a tree branch was done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #229
    J!m
    I Love Big Gay Dragons
    June 2009
    1,406 Posts
    Hell, i don't know what i'm thinking half the time :)
    Probably squids

30. Post #230
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Probably squids
    mmmm...squids...

And how are those huge titles doing J!m?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #231
    J!m
    I Love Big Gay Dragons
    June 2009
    1,406 Posts
    mmmm...squids...

And how are those huge titles doing J!m?
    Lovely

32. Post #232
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,967 Posts
    Am I the only one that thought his title said "I love huge tittles"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #233
    J!m
    I Love Big Gay Dragons
    June 2009
    1,406 Posts
    Am I the only one that thought his title said "I love huge tittles"?
    Nope, most people do first or "titties" or "i love hug titties"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #234
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,394 Posts
    I played portal in 2008ish on my friends PC, a year later I bought L4D which forced me to get steam, then I learned they were made by the same company, L4D authoring tools came out and boom.

My first map was a huge block that was supposed to be a skyscraper, it had one prop, a triangle brush, and no skybox
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

35. Post #235
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    I played portal in 2008ish on my friends PC, a year later I bought L4D which forced me to get steam, then I learned they were made by the same company, L4D authoring tools came out and boom.
    Before l4d came out they were still known as turtle rock studios. They only became part of valve officially for l4d.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #236
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,864 Posts
    it's less expensive to render as well iirc

37. Post #237
    it's less expensive to render as well iirc
    if only we could have our custom lightmap UVs for models...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #238
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,987 Posts
    Hey guys just wondering if someone could turn this into a decal or texture?, it would be really helpful.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

39. Post #239
    HASHTAG!
    January 2012
    551 Posts
    Hey guys just wondering if someone could turn this into a decal or texture?, it would be really helpful.

Had to redo the top wing.. but here:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

40. Post #240
    J!m
    I Love Big Gay Dragons
    June 2009
    1,406 Posts
    I would but the top of the wing gets clipped off so it would look stupid.
    You could, you know, draw the missing part in