1. Post #521
    January 2009
    651 Posts
    Which text editor?

Yes, I'm late.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

2. Post #522
    October 2010
    298 Posts
    Which text editor?

Yes, I'm late.
    For programming i prefer Microsoft Word 2008
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny x 38Agree x 5Winner x 1Useful x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #523
    January 2009
    651 Posts
    Okay, but I'm talking about the image Darkwater124 posted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

4. Post #524
    April 2010
    28 Posts
    Okay, but I'm talking about the image Darkwater124 posted.
    Pretty sure its sublime text.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

5. Post #525
    Pretty sure its sublime text.
    Sublime Text 2, to be precise.

Edited:

Theme is a slightly modified version of All Hallow's Eve (grey comments, no backgrounds, etc)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

6. Post #526
    January 2009
    651 Posts
    Ok, Is there any minimap like the in sublime for visual c++ ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

7. Post #527
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Ok, Is there any minimap like the in sublime for visual c++ ?
    Yes, there is!

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Introd...ockScroll.aspx
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #528
    March 2008
    134 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #529
    June 2009
    26 Posts

So, if any of you remember when I showed this, and talked about pixel collisions and other stuff

I realized that I was very dumb to attempt this, as the ammount of bugs were huge, so I decided to switch
    to using arrays. Of course this creates a hundred new problems, I had to dump/rewrite hundreds of lines of code, and right now I can't even get collisions to work right, and it's going to take a lot of watches and line by line debugging to find out why. But I'm sure not giving up on it.

TL;DR: I'm dumb, but not giving up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Winner Winner x 4Programming King Programming King x 2Friendly Friendly x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #530
    June 2010
    1,341 Posts
    Best quality a programmer can have, in my opinion.

Although I might be slightly biased.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

11. Post #531
    C:\
    March 2011
    1,749 Posts
    If I can't get something to work I give up after 3 minutes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 4 (list)

12. Post #532
    July 2009
    7,419 Posts
    Lua needs a PROPER sockets module. I came to a halt once I realized there wasn't any socket module that didn't use plaintext.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #533
    October 2009
    1,994 Posts
    If I can't get something to work I give up after 3 minutes.
    I wrote an OCR application in QBASIC back at the time.

It took about 2 years of work (on and off) to figure it out on my own. Giving it up and starting all over again every once in a while. (Didn't have internet/google to consult back then)

I can't even count how many times I rewrote it from scratch to try a different approach. But every time I picked it up I'd learned something new from some other project that I wanted to try.

Most of my problems towards the end were memory related though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events

14. Post #534
    I wrote an OCR application in QBASIC back at the time.

It took about 2 years of work (on and off) to figure it out on my own. Giving it up and starting all over again every once in a while. (Didn't have internet/google to consult back then)

I can't even count how many times I rewrote it from scratch to try a different approach. But every time I picked it up I'd learned something new from some other project that I wanted to try.

Most of my problems towards the end were memory related though.
    So true. I guess this applies to almost all starting programmers..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

15. Post #535
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

16. Post #536
    September 2010
    1,070 Posts
    compiling chromium to see if I can exploit (and fix) the null pointer deref I.found a while ago

jesus holy fuck ld is using 3GB of ram and I only have 4...
    http://arstechnica.com/business/news...oit-chrome.ars ??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #537
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    I've not been keeping up with this thread recently, have there been any more progress shots of Facepunch apps?

Edited:

compiling chromium to see if I can exploit (and fix) the null pointer deref I.found a while ago

jesus holy fuck ld is using 3GB of ram and I only have 4...
    Are you using gold? IIRC it's the recommended linker now for Chromium.

Also I think there are precompiled debug builds available, have a look around here: http://chromium-build-master.appspot...romium/console
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #538
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,159 Posts
    So, if any of you remember when I showed this, and talked about pixel collisions and other stuff

I realized that I was very dumb to attempt this, as the ammount of bugs were huge, so I decided to switch
    to using arrays. Of course this creates a hundred new problems, I had to dump/rewrite hundreds of lines of code, and right now I can't even get collisions to work right, and it's going to take a lot of watches and line by line debugging to find out why. But I'm sure not giving up on it.

No offense (really) but I totally told you so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #539
    April 2011
    72 Posts
    Any interest in Steam plugin for iChat/Messages?
    I mean, I'm doing it anyway, but I'll see if others would like it too. Using the Steam Mobile stuff for now, might move it to SteamRE later.

I'll put the code on GitHub when it's done, for people concerned about account security and people interested in iChat's plugin system, documentation is sparse at best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #540
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    who cares, he said he's not giving up and there's merit in that. he probably learned more about why his first approach wasn't acceptable on his own mistakes versus someone spoonfeeding him, too

Edited:

Lua needs a PROPER sockets module. I came to a halt once I realized there wasn't any socket module that didn't use plaintext.
    what are you doing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #541
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,648 Posts
    I'd just like to congratulate Maurice on making a bloody good game.
    I'd like to congratulate Maurice on finishing a project. It's something we all strive for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Funny Funny x 3 (list)

22. Post #542
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,391 Posts
    I have been working on a visualizer for quite some time and only recently I think it looks good enough to warrant a post.

I am sorry for the terrible video quality and choppiness, that is completely youtube's and the screen capture program's fault. In reality the animation is completely smooth and perfectly in sync with the music.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #543
    Person
    June 2008
    5,743 Posts
    I have been working on a visualizer for quite some time and only recently I think it looks good enough to warrant a post.

I am sorry for the terrible video quality and choppiness, that is completely youtube's and the screen capture program's fault. In reality the animation is completely smooth and perfectly in sync with the music.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Khuxea7HP5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Use [media]youtube link[/media]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

24. Post #544
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts

can't see it in america due to music you used
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #545
    Person
    June 2008
    5,743 Posts
    Working on the tablet UI for FPAndroid.
    These are all taken on the Blackberry Playbook, by the way, but it's the same on Android.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

26. Post #546
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,391 Posts
    can't see it in america, due to music you used
    Thanks for telling me.

Damned copyright laws. I'll upload another one with different music (in higher quality as well) which hopefully won't get blocked very soon!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

27. Post #547
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner x 44Programming King x 2Artistic x 1Agree x 1Late x 1 (list)

28. Post #548
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    That guy's website is awesome as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #549
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,648 Posts
    Didn't Google make something like that? I remember a HTML5 game engine that had hot-loading like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

30. Post #550
    June 2009
    26 Posts
    Indeed you did, and I realize the error in not taking you for your word
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

31. Post #551
    June 2008
    486 Posts
    Working on a mario clone, got rudimentary tile editor with loading and saving working.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Funny x 14Artistic x 3Late x 2Programming King x 1Useful x 1Dumb x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #552
    November 2010
    532 Posts
    Added save "button". All you gotta do is hover and the file dialogue opens. Also you can now draw without pressing anything. Damn bugs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

33. Post #553
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    Half of the projects in this thread would be much more suited to web applications/games. They might actually be used then, unless they're just learning projects. Just sayin'. Don't kill me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #554
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    Half of the projects in this thread would be much more suited to web applications/games. They might actually be used then, unless they're just learning projects. Just sayin'. Don't kill me
    pfft. I don't program for other people. I just do it for fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 22Programming King Programming King x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #555
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,159 Posts
    Indeed you did, and I realize the error in not taking you for your word
    Actually, it's probably better that you didn't.
    In my opinion learning is more important then doing stuff fast.

Now you know why it doesn't work and you'll be able to notice that pattern in the future and avoid the same mistake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

36. Post #556
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    pfft. I don't program for other people. I just do it for fun.
    Having people use something you've made is one of the most rewarding things ever and fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

37. Post #557
    Having people use something you've made is one of the most rewarding things ever and fun.
    Well for some programmers it's just a bonus.

Getting paid for it, on the other hand...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #558
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,391 Posts
    can't see it in america due to music you used
    Does this work?

Edited:

Please watch in high quality and again apologies for the choppiness, that is the result of Camtasia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #559
    February 2009
    1,827 Posts
    Does this work?

[media] [url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKr0BoAbaCA[/url] [/media]
    No it does not, i think you meant
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKr0BoAbaCA[/media]

Edit:
    it does however screw with quotes and partially works after edits when you do that it seems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

40. Post #560
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,391 Posts
    No it does not, i think you meant
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKr0BoAbaCA[/media]

Edit:
    it does however screw with quotes when you do that it seems.
    For some reason whenever I erase the [url] tags it puts them back in. Can't go into advance editing either. But in my browser the embedding works, is the video still not available in the US?

Edited:

Solved the url tag problem at least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Turkey Show Events