1. Post #1521
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    It's a moot point really, I could argue I'm not a fan of the syntax and that there might have been better ways of defining patterns, you would probably say you like it how it is. It's a personal preference thing.
    regexes are great at what they do - defining patterns concisely.

anything you could come up with would not be as nice or concise as a regex
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

2. Post #1522
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    8,214 Posts
    So I was thinking of doing an interesting take on Conway's game of life / cell simulation: Capitalism simulation (simulation of a city). So basically there are buildings and there are blocks squared (a group of 9 buildings). Each building helps others in it's block out; but blocks hurt other blocks. Buildings would each have their own cash level, and they would get taller depending on their cash level. I'm not sure if they should shrink or just stay whatever their max height was (and perhaps have colors that indicate current cash levels, height would indicate the most they've ever had). Now to think of some interesting rules to not make the simulation sputter out or go wild.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

3. Post #1523
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,940 Posts
    Is there an easier way to "wrap" a class to create a new class that renames the the members of the other class, other than deriving and writing conversion functions?

To be specific, I have a Point2<type> class that I want to turn into a Size2<type> class (theres also a Point3<type> class, but that's beside the point. In essence, I just want the the "x" and "y" member variables to instead be named "width" and "height".

I can do this (and have done this for other classes), by deriving from Point2 as a private base class, and then declaring a "width" and "height" properties with both get and put defined, and then write conversion functions to make it equivalent to Point2. But this seems like counter-productive, if I'm trying to reduce code duplication/ complexity.

I know it may sound silly to bother with this at all, "just use x and y as width and height", but I feel that it's better to be explicit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #1524
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    regexes are great at what they do - defining patterns concisely.

anything you could come up with would not be as nice or concise as a regex
    regex is something everyone thinks they could make better

(but they can't, it would just get more difficult to understand)   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #1525
    February 2012
    810 Posts
    For something like that, could you create seperate classes and setup implicit casting between them? The only other way would be creating new functions that replace the old ones that are just private and do nothing, which I wouldn't consider a real 'solution', the conversion method I would, even if you're trying to avoid it for some reason.

6. Post #1526
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,940 Posts
    For something like that, could you create seperate classes and setup implicit casting between them?
    It actually would be equally complex, because Point2 itself derives from Vector<type, int>, and must necessarily, because Vector implements a bunch of functionality. Although, now I'm wondering whether they should both derive directly from Vector... Well, this is giving me a headache, and I'm getting outside the scope of implementing my specification, so I guess I'll just do what's the simplest.

7. Post #1527
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    i think you're vastly over-engineering your basic types
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1528
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,940 Posts
    Maybe, but once I find a good pattern for creating these sorts of things, I won't really have to think about it anymore. And like I said, I like explicitness.

9. Post #1529
    February 2011
    1,263 Posts
    Cancelled the old project because a friend just gave me a awesome idea, that's what I've done so far (The important stuff is coming afterwards):

Edit:
    It will include some kind of crafting, that means you can destroy objects and get scrap (and/or electric scrap), with the scrap you are able to build sentrys, barricades etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

10. Post #1530
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    Cancelled the old project because a friend just gave me a awesome idea, that's what I've done so far (The important stuff is coming afterwards):

it includes zombies

calling it now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

11. Post #1531
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    795 Posts
    Clearly it's a game about tipping chairs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 25 (list)

12. Post #1532
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,352 Posts
    it includes zombies

calling it now
    It's not a game if it doesn't have zombies

13. Post #1533
    February 2011
    1,263 Posts
    it includes zombies

calling it now
    Of course it (will) include zombies, but that's not the awesome idea.
    It will include some kind of crafting, that means you can destroy objects and get scrap (and/or electric scrap), with the scrap you are able to build sentrys, barricades etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 Germany Show Events

14. Post #1534
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,985 Posts
    Nothing wrong with zombies so long as you make an entertaining game, the problem is people who look at it and say, "Ugh, zombies?!" with no regard to gameplay, design, or aesthetic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1535
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Clearly it's a game about tipping chairs.
    the npcs from chairpocalypse are crying splinters of fear

It's not a game if it doesn't have zombies
    chair zombies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

16. Post #1536
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,352 Posts
    chair zombies
    buuuutttts.....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19 (list)

17. Post #1537
    February 2011
    1,263 Posts
    Update, somehow I don't like the shadows of the streetlights.

(This time I didn't hurt any chair)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #1538
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    Cant sleep so made a simple program in C# that will go through a directory, open each file, check if the file contains a given string, and if not it writes the string at the beginning of the file.

Basically it inserts a license into the beginning of all source code files
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #1539
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,413 Posts
    Cant sleep so made a simple program in C# that will go through a directory, open each file, check if the file contains a given string, and if not it writes the string at the beginning of the file.

Basically it inserts a license into the beginning of all source code files
    There is a VS plugin that does that.

Article: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...project-files/
    Project: http://licensemanager.codeplex.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

20. Post #1540
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,648 Posts

Changed networking to use a timestamp system rather than measuring the ping. This allows the server to know exactly how late each packet is, rather than basing how late it is on the last ping of the client. I also added a simple chatting system. It uses glfw to get key input which is extremely dumb, but I don't know of a better way to do it. The network now clump packets together too so I can send all player updates, chat, and ping requests all in one UDP packet.

For the client I added interpolation which only engages if the client's position is off from the server's position by a certain threshold, it works fantastically to smooth players out.

Finally I added aabb collisions for players v level and even player v player. Seeing that my network easily handled it I feel as if I've got networking down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #1541
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,528 Posts
    I'm working on a Tron light cycle game in Ruby using ncurses and joystick extensions which I (partly) wrote in C.

I had great fun playing 4 player deathmatch with my friends over Spring break using Xbox 360 controllers.

I'm still trying to figure out what the best way is to do joystick programming. Using non-blocking reads is easier to program, but in order to ensure that I don't miss button presses everything is running in a CPU-guzzling loop. Using blocking reads doesn't waste CPU, but then I can't figure out how to have it not interrupt the rest of the game without multithreading...

22. Post #1542
    That Dog
    March 2009
    12,804 Posts
    sometimes I get bored and write the dumbest lua scripts.
     a=0 b=0 c=1337 while(a<c) do a=math.random(0,c) b=b+1 print(a.." :"..b) end
    it iterates b until a reaches c, and i keep doing it to see how long i can make it go.

one time it took 5,248 iterations.

i'm so bored

Edited:

oh man i got a 3. wow!

oh god i'm so bored :(   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

23. Post #1543
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts

Changed networking to use a timestamp system rather than measuring the ping. This allows the server to know exactly how late each packet is, rather than basing how late it is on the last ping of the client. I also added a simple chatting system. It uses glfw to get key input which is extremely dumb, but I don't know of a better way to do it. The network now clump packets together too so I can send all player updates, chat, and ping requests all in one UDP packet.

For the client I added interpolation which only engages if the client's position is off from the server's position by a certain threshold, it works fantastically to smooth players out.

Finally I added aabb collisions for players v level and even player v player. Seeing that my network easily handled it I feel as if I've got networking down.
    It's 12:28 am here.

I moused over your video.

Jesus christ my ears are bleeding and my heart is no longer in my body.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #1544
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,788 Posts
    sometimes I get bored and write the dumbest lua scripts.
     a=0 b=0 c=1337 while(a<c) do a=math.random(0,3) b=b+1 print(a.." :"..b) end
    it iterates b until a reaches c, and i keep doing it to see how long i can make it go.

one time it took 5,248 iterations.

i'm so bored

Edited:

oh man i got a 3. wow!

oh god i'm so bored :(   
    why don't you, uhh, write something useful
    like projectEuler or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1545
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    The beginning of global illumination:

That's only the indirect contribution. The bright spots are because some of the surface normals are little screwy.
    It's really slow, too, because I'm just doing a brute-force full-screen quad for each VPL at this point.

Edit:
    Some stencil testing magic and it's running at almost-real-time. Like ~8FPS. Threre's still plenty of optimizations I can do.

Also, clamped the brightness and applied SSAO to the indirect light (since it basically serves the purpose of 'ambient')
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Programming King Programming King x 11Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #1546
    February 2012
    63 Posts
    My buddy told me I should make a Collatz Conjecture thingy for some practice.
    Annnndddd I thought I might as well share.

Does anyone know if this is a good computing time?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #1547
    That Dog
    March 2009
    12,804 Posts
    why don't you, uhh, write something useful
    like projectEuler or something
    if i were motivated to do something useful then i'd be working on my game.
    but i'm not.
    so i don't.

and i write things like that instead.

28. Post #1548
    Team Hamster
    December 2009
    555 Posts
    I am back from GDC in San Francisco. This is going to sound cheesy, but it was sort of a life changing experience for me. A lot of very interesting things happened, so if you have nothing better to do or are my stalker or something, read on:

WARNING: wall of text

Going into GDC I really didn't know what to expect. That may sound silly for such an expensive endeavor, but my school was paying my way into the conference so... "why not?" GDC is broken down into 4 parts: the expo, the career pavilion, the award ceremony and the presentations. I only had an expo pass so I couldn't attend any of the presentations. The award ceremony was kind of cool. Portal 2 cleaned house and yet skyrim got GOTY (I think they just wanted a GOTY edition).

The expo really wasn't that impressive. There were some cool stuff there don't get me wrong, but it was more of seeing what I already knew people were doing in real life. There was a 3D TV screen thingy much like the 3DS. Using similar technology there was a 3D TV with special 3D glasses that let you only see the left eye, or the right eye letting two people watch the same TV but see player 1's screen or player 2's screen. Only thing that bugs me about this is how dim the glasses are. Makes what you're looking at a lot darker. There was also some motion capture studios setup, giveaways, and a bunch of talks at the booths and whatnot.

What I really enjoyed was the career pavilion. I know what you're thinking: "jalb, how could you enjoy THAT over 3D TVs and motion capture?" Well, I had never really talked to an employer before. I am currently employed by my school as a tutor, and being employed by your school is a very simple and painless process. The real world is very different. I still have a year before I graduate, and almost every company there was based in California (I live in Texas) making an internship out of the question. I was scared as hell even thinking about talking to them. I had no experience, no business cards, no resume, no interest in getting a job at this time. What was I to do? So I asked my professors... they suggested I just talk to employers. Ask them questions, get to know people.

Okay, I can do that.

I get something drilled into my head a lot at my school though: "Game companies want to know that you play their games." Well, fuck. I'm a broke college student who doesn't have the money or time to play even the games I want to play (one day you will be mine, Skyrim). Then I noticed a beacon of hope in the distance: A valve booth! Holy crap what a long line. At this point I was too afraid to even bother... but I mustered up what strength I could and got in line. Once I got to the front of the line, the guy at the booth waited for me to greet him. "Hi, I'm Josh." What am I even doing. I somehow managed to spit out enough words to make him realize that I'm a college student looking for an internship. Valve doesn't do internships. Okay... well, what now? So I remembered what my professors told me: Ask them what they're looking for when they go to hire someone. "What are you doing at 11am tomorrow?" He asked me. I got excited and quickly responded "I'll be here." They had a presentation then. "How to work for valve." Convenient enough. I didn't want to awkwardly walk away so I threw in one last question: "How important is it to play a company's games before they will hire you?" He assured me that it wasn't that important. With this, I could approach the other booths without feeling like a fool.

And that I did! I approached almost every other booth in there. I made sure to ask them all the same question: "What are you looking for when you go to hire someone?" The answer was pretty overwhelming: for programmers, they want to see what you've done. You must create a portfolio of your works. Additionally, they wanted to see something right then and there. Having your work readily available on your phone or laptop is key. So I showed many of them the physics engine I developed. You could immediately hear the tone in their voice change from "look at this scrub" to "wow, this guy has potential". So here I am, a loner, shy 18 year old who has no idea what he is doing, impressing employers who have been in the industry for years. One lady at the 2K booth seemed very impressed with me and assured me I would not have a problem finding a job. This was largely due to my GPA of 3.9.

So next day arrives, and I rush over to the Valve booth right at 11am. No surprise: there was a line waiting to get in. The presentation was fairly short. To summarize, if you want to work for valve they're really looking for 4 things:
    1. a good portfolio
    2. a popular product (commercial or non) that you've worked on (could be a source mod, indie game, or even mods for other games). this is to see that you've worked with "clients" and made something that people use
    3. good people skills
    4. this actually wasn't emphasized as a big deal, but to work on valve games I'm sure it's important: experience with the source engine

After the positive comments I got from all the other booths, I'm sure of it: I can work for Valve! From what I can tell I already have good portfolio pieces. I also work as a tutor at my university, that should prove my good people skills. But a popular product and experience with the source engine... those are two things I need to work on. Another professor of mine then suggested that I work on him with Android tablet games. He said he would pay me to work for him and he would even supply me with the hardware (an android tablet). That might be my ticket for number 2 of working for valve! Even if we don't develop something awesome, getting something on the android market is getting your stuff out there. Maybe that'll be enough.

Next year in the next GDC San Francisco I will be approaching Valve again, this time with a resume in hand and a shining portfolio. I know it's optimistic to think that I could work for them; many of you here probably have the same dream. If they do not seem interested in me then I will look for work elsewhere, and I will work on products under the name of another company. Then once I have more experience I will approach Valve again. Hopefully then I will stand a chance... one can dream.

tl;dr: To get employed by a game company as a programmer you need a good portfolio and a good GPA. Having your products readily available to be shown off (even if its just a video on your phone) is a HUGE boost. Additionally, to work for valve you need good people skills and a popular product out there.

In other news: my laptop wont start (fml). So instead of programming I decided to write this monster.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 19Winner Winner x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #1549
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    Was an education mentioned, or just having work to show you can do it?

Also if you do apply to Valve and get turned down, don't give up. I know guys who have applied 3 or 4 times now, some have gotten in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #1550
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    759 Posts
    Made a Unity editor extension today so that I can turn entire folders of textures into materials without having to go through and do them all manually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

31. Post #1551
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    So next day arrives, and I rush over to the Valve booth right at 11am. No surprise: there was a line waiting to get in. The presentation was fairly short. To summarize, if you want to work for valve they're really looking for 4 things:
    1. a good portfolio
    2. a popular product (commercial or non) that you've worked on (could be a source mod, indie game, or even mods for other games). this is to see that you've worked with "clients" and made something that people use
    3. good people skills
    4. this actually wasn't emphasized as a big deal, but to work on valve games I'm sure it's important: experience with the source engine

After the positive comments I got from all the other booths, I'm sure of it: I can work for Valve! From what I can tell I already have good portfolio pieces. I also work as a tutor at my university, that should prove my good people skills. But a popular product and experience with the source engine... those are two things I need to work on. Another professor of mine then suggested that I work on him with Android tablet games. He said he would pay me to work for him and he would even supply me with the hardware (an android tablet). That might be my ticket for number 2 of working for valve! Even if we don't develop something awesome, getting something on the android market is getting your stuff out there. Maybe that'll be enough.

tl;dr: To get employed by a game company as a programmer you need a good portfolio and a good GPA. Having your products readily available to be shown off (even if its just a video on your phone) is a HUGE boost. Additionally, to work for valve you need good people skills and a popular product out there.
    Neat and all - I don't want to put you down, but I had to rate this optimistic on the grounds that there are multiple people in Facepunch's community which are phenomenally gifted with Source's and Valve's general technology alike. I think those individuals, regardless of not showing a legitimate interest in working with Valve, have infinitely more potential working for Valve than those who actually want to pursue a career with them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #1552
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    Neat and all - I don't want to put you down, but I had to rate this optimistic on the grounds that there are multiple people in Facepunch's community which are phenomenally gifted with Source's and Valve's general technology alike. I think those individuals, regardless of not showing a legitimate interest in working with Valve, have infinitely more potential working for Valve than those who actually want to pursue a career with them.
    But those who have a dream can succeed too. If they focus solely on getting hired by Valve, they may have a lesser chance than someone who dreams of working at Valve but pursues their own interests to accomplish it.

If that makes sense.

33. Post #1553
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    But those who have a dream can succeed too. If they focus solely on getting hired by Valve, they may have a lesser chance than someone who dreams of working at Valve but pursues their own interests to accomplish it.

If that makes sense.
    It does. In the end, you have to work your ass off either way, but those people who want to work for Valve are best finding other equally (or moreso) talented individuals to work with. Have a plan that you think will work and is commercially viable (and obviously fun to play), and work at it non-stop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1554
    Team Hamster
    December 2009
    555 Posts
    Was an education mentioned, or just having work to show you can do it?
    I always mentioned that I was a student. I think it's irrelevant though. If you are a student with a good GPA that's a boost, but they mostly want to see what you can do.

I realize this, and am not getting my hopes up too much. I feel that with enough persistence I will either get hired or get tired of dealing with them and no longer wish to work there. In the mean time I wish to get experience with other companies. Maybe I will like one of them enough not to pursue Valve anymore.

35. Post #1555
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Why is there so little activity on the io-doom3? I've been wondering that for a while. It seems no one wants to touch the code.

I've been working on a few things lately, and I haven't really posted about much in this thread, so I figured I'd just throw a few things out there.
    First, I've been working on a boost-like library, except smaller and without all the custom types and stuff. Sure, things like parsing a json library would possibly be done well with classes in C++, but I'm not going to have string classes and all kinds of other weird stuff going around. At least, nothing that isn't 100% compatible with the standards of C++
    Currently this project isn't very far, as I've been busy with work and all kinds of other everyday things that take away time, but it's getting there!

I've also kepts a fork of Overvs Passion lying around, since he's taken it down from his github page.
    But I figured I'd keep it for future reference, in case I wanted to work on it more. And I might, actually, in the near future!
    Since it has pretty much everything available in the library for lua, I'm thinking about integrating my script binding library in it, so it can has bindings to Javascript in V8, Lua 5.2, angelscript, and possibly more. Would that be a good idea?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #1556
    July 2010
    1,059 Posts
    The beginning of global illumination:

That's only the indirect contribution. The bright spots are because some of the surface normals are little screwy.
    It's really slow, too, because I'm just doing a brute-force full-screen quad for each VPL at this point.

Edit:
    Some stencil testing magic and it's running at almost-real-time. Like ~8FPS. Threre's still plenty of optimizations I can do.

Also, clamped the brightness and applied SSAO to the indirect light (since it basically serves the purpose of 'ambient')
    Although I can see the benefits of a real-time global illumination have you contemplated a solution similar to Beast ("offline")?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

37. Post #1557
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    I dont use VS, when I develop for C# I use monoDevelop but generally I use C++ and codeblocks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #1558
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I've also kepts a fork of Overvs Passion lying around, since he's taken it down from his github page.
    But I figured I'd keep it for future reference, in case I wanted to work on it more. And I might, actually, in the near future!
    Since it has pretty much everything available in the library for lua, I'm thinking about integrating my script binding library in it, so it can has bindings to Javascript in V8, Lua 5.2, angelscript, and possibly more. Would that be a good idea?
    I hate to demotivate you from using one of my own projects, but the reason I quit that is because the concept of the project was flawed. I did a lot of performance tests with it and it simply wasn't fast enough, because it was too close to the barebones OpenGL API. That also made it not very easy and likeable to use for the me and the other people who tested it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

39. Post #1559
    September 2011
    319 Posts
    Making a thing that will monitor prices for items on TF2WH.com throughout the day, then email me the average, minimum and maximum prices at the end of the day.

So far it just outputs a list of all the item names and their prices, but I have a framework ready for later when I'm done studying.
    Here is where I'm getting my data.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events

40. Post #1560
    September 2010
    1,070 Posts
    Let me just look up this func-

Oh. Never mind then...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)