1. Post #9201
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    16,981 Posts
    That's been happening to me with Facepunch for a long time.
    Pretty sure it's some Javascript thing spiralling out of control, the only way to fix it is to close all Facepunch tabs/kill the process through the browser's task manager and then refresh all the FP tabs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #9202
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,292 Posts
    a lot of games do that for ~optimisation~, for example; in Just Cause 2 if you drive around in one car and hop into another, and then into a 3rd, the first car will despawn completely (if it hasn't before you got into the 3rd because it's not been on screen for a few seconds)

SR3 does it too, the only game that copes well with car spawning seems to be GTAIV (the earlier ones sucked at it too)
    GTA: VC, hundreds, if not thousands of hours played and I haven't had any car despawning problems.

Other than cars not despawning... Parked a car at one point of the first island. Rode around the airport and shit, go back and see the car in the middle of the road like before. wtf?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

3. Post #9203
    December 2009
    8,735 Posts
    Just came back from helping an old man with his modem/router. There had been some lightning and his router had died sometime around the last few days. I go there and yep, completly dead. Advice him to buy a new one and did some updates on his laptop. Walk away with $40 and another happy customer

Or so i though. I get another call from him 3 hrs later. He had bought a new router (didn't expect him to do it that fast, but he both picked what seemed like a good and cheap one. Impressed) and he wondered if i could just stop by to verify that the updates we had left installing (he had a laptop from around '95, IE took 2 min to start up ) had installed. No problem, Wont take long

Well, About that....

I get over there and plug the router in. No internet. Router is fine, i try plugging in the cable from the modem to the laptop. Works to and from, Get some error message saying something in Swedish which i don't know what it says in english.

Anyway, Spend 1.5 hrs trying to figure out what might have gone wrong. I think that maybe the Modem had broken since it was plugged into an extension cord that looked like hungry beavers had spent a week with it.

Call up the ISP to see if they can see anything but everything looks good on their side, and the guy i talked with was really good, I was surprised there too.

Anyway, Now about 2 hrs into the thing, most of that being spent on waiting for his PC to react (Starting a Tracert took 6 seconds from entering the command to start) i realize that he had switched from a pretty old router to a brand new, N range one. So taking a wild stab in the dark, i disable pretty much everything except for basic Wifi

IT LIVES

Seems that the ancient modem had trouble with some new settings.

That took me 2 goddamn hours to notice. At least i get some good recommendations from helping him save $110 on buying a new Modem from the ISP, which is what he had planned to do

That feeling when you spent hours on something that could be fixed with about 8 mouseklicks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

4. Post #9204
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,752 Posts
    Just came back from helping an old man with his modem/router. There had been some lightning and his router had died sometime around the last few days. I go there and yep, completly dead. Advice him to buy a new one and did some updates on his laptop. Walk away with $40 and another happy customer

Or so i though. I get another call from him 3 hrs later. He had bought a new router (didn't expect him to do it that fast, but he both picked what seemed like a good and cheap one. Impressed) and he wondered if i could just stop by to verify that the updates we had left installing (he had a laptop from around '95, IE took 2 min to start up ) had installed. No problem, Wont take long

Well, About that....

I get over there and plug the router in. No internet. Router is fine, i try plugging in the cable from the modem to the laptop. Works to and from, Get some error message saying something in Swedish which i don't know what it says in english.

Anyway, Spend 1.5 hrs trying to figure out what might have gone wrong. I think that maybe the Modem had broken since it was plugged into an extension cord that looked like hungry beavers had spent a week with it.

Call up the ISP to see if they can see anything but everything looks good on their side, and the guy i talked with was really good, I was surprised there too.

Anyway, Now about 2 hrs into the thing, most of that being spent on waiting for his PC to react (Starting a Tracert took 6 seconds from entering the command to start) i realize that he had switched from a pretty old router to a brand new, N range one. So taking a wild stab in the dark, i disable pretty much everything except for basic Wifi

IT LIVES

That took me 2 goddamn hours to notice. At least i get some good recommendations from helping him save $110 on buying a new Modem from the ISP, which is what he had planned to do

That feeling when you spent hours on something that could be fixed with about 8 mouseklicks
    Atleast you are $40 richer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #9205
    December 2009
    8,735 Posts
    Atleast you are $40 richer
    True. That pretty much covers the new RAM and a spotify subscription. Was still a bit frustrating. Best is that he told me when i left that he had recommended me to at least 3 people that wanted me to do stuff

So yeah, Frustrating but successful day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

6. Post #9206
    CIPWTTKT's Resident Redneck™
    December 2009
    7,205 Posts
    Ugh I'll have to use RCA cables for a few days until my $3.00 HDMI cable gets here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

7. Post #9207
    April 2008
    1,242 Posts
    Oh, it feels so good to have faster internet.

Went from 12mb/s down-1/mb/s up to.

It also cost $20 LESS a month. Also the new, not shitty modem we got dropped the ping time from Chicago from 38ms to 15ms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

8. Post #9208
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,081 Posts
    Oh, it feels so good to have faster internet.

Went from 12mb/s down-1/mb/s up to.

It also cost $20 LESS a month. Also the new, not shitty modem we got dropped the ping time from Chicago from 38ms to 15ms.
    What? 38 ping isn't even that bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

9. Post #9209
    December 2009
    7,205 Posts
    Well, I just blew $300 in less than an hour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #9210
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    What did you buy in the end?

Edited:

Should I buy these?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #9211
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,605 Posts

Well, About that....

IT LIVES

For future reference, another thing to watch out for is encryption. I was fiddling around with my aunt's laptop that I fixed for her, which seemed to connect to her wifi (Which showed as WEP encrypted) but had a limited or no connectivity error. I pulled out my phone and scanned for networks, which showed that the network was WPA-PSK encrypted. I just switched the router over to WEP, shortened the password and it connected happily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #9212
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,292 Posts
    Deeps, what were your gaymen PC specs?
    DEEPS!

What were the specs? And you sold it for 300$?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

13. Post #9213
    Hah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

14. Post #9214
    April 2008
    1,242 Posts
    What? 38 ping isn't even that bad.
    Correct, but my modem before that got 18ms to Chicago when we were 1mb/s down .25 mb/s up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #9215
    December 2009
    8,735 Posts
    For future reference, another thing to watch out for is encryption. I was fiddling around with my aunt's laptop that I fixed for her, which seemed to connect to her wifi (Which showed as WEP encrypted) but had a limited or no connectivity error. I pulled out my phone and scanned for networks, which showed that the network was WPA-PSK encrypted. I just switched the router over to WEP, shortened the password and it connected happily.
    Thanks, I'll look out for that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

16. Post #9216
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,974 Posts
    What did you buy in the end?

Edited:

Should I buy these?
    yes

but why orange

17. Post #9217
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,674 Posts
    It makes it more interesting if you remove the dollar sign.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Optimistic x 12Agree x 2Funny x 2Informative x 1Artistic x 1Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #9218
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    You bought your Xbox?

19. Post #9219
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    yes

but why orange
    I feel like it. I might get gray though.
    Since

Inside my PC is pretty black/white.

20. Post #9220
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,974 Posts
    You have some hints of blue, maybe get blue cables?

Black/blue/white mix?

21. Post #9221
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    You have some hints of blue, maybe get blue cables?

Black/blue/white mix?
    But it's in a 932. Red LEDs.

Edited:

And blue is so tacky. Like budget motherboards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

22. Post #9222
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,974 Posts
    This is not tacky.

Maybe YOU'RE tacky idk.

23. Post #9223
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    Red GPU, blue cables eurgh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #9224
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,974 Posts
    They're being replaced, soon, by one or two GTX 680s.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

25. Post #9225
    April 2011
    3,176 Posts
    is the thermal armor on sabertooth boards actually effective?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #9226
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,163 Posts
    I'm probably going to build a new computer (and my first one actually) in the next few weeks, when Ivy Bridge is released.

Anyway, what do you guys think of Fractal Design Define R3? Is it great (and silent) for the price or are there some worthy competitors I should be aware of?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #9227
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    Sorry Makol, did I offend you by insulting blue cables?

28. Post #9228
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    I'm probably going to build a new computer (and my first one actually) in the next few weeks, when Ivy Bridge is released.

Anyway, what do you guys think of Fractal Design Define R3? Is it great (and silent) for the price or are there some worthy competitors I should be aware of?
    I have the Fractal Design XL, it's quiet, and an awesome case.

I imagine the R3 is similar.

29. Post #9229
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,974 Posts
    Sorry Makol, did I offend you by insulting blue cables?
    No.

Just don't like you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #9230
    June 2010
    9,159 Posts
    Why are dual screen KVM switches so fucking expensive, are they powered by diamonds or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #9231
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Why are dual screen KVM switches so fucking expensive, are they powered by diamonds or something?
    Niche hardware.
    I also hate how server rack accessories and mounts are so freaking expensive.

32. Post #9232
    June 2010
    9,159 Posts
    I'd just buy two cheapo kvm switches instead.

Dem greedy corporation ain't gettin any of ma money :hehe:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

33. Post #9233

June 2011
    422 Posts
    Can someone look at my thread? http://facepunch.com/threads/1177192

34. Post #9234
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,292 Posts
    Looked at it, seemed to be pretty fine. You are missing a few uppercase letters here and there, but that is so with most of your posts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

35. Post #9235
    December 2009
    7,205 Posts
    DEEPS!

What were the specs? And you sold it for 300$?
    AMD Phenom II X3 710
    8 GB of RAM
    GTX 275
    1.5 TB hard drive
    some shit thermaltake case.

I built it for $300, sent in the rebate but never got the money back, total would've been $250 in that case.

I then went out and bought a new Xbox 360 slim (glossy) 250 GB, Turtle Beach X12's, MW3, 3 months of XBL, and CoD Elite. Oh, and Rockstar Punched.

36. Post #9236
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,974 Posts
    Why did you buy into Elite?

37. Post #9237
    December 2009
    7,205 Posts
    Why did you buy into Elite?
    DLC every month, it's currently the only game I own, and why not.

Oh, and my mom bought my step dad a used PS3 controller, and my copy of MW3 was used, so I can go back on sunday when we get an email with my receipt and get a free game that's less than $40 I think.

38. Post #9238
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,974 Posts
    Fair enough.

39. Post #9239
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    No.

Just don't like you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #9240
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,605 Posts
    Why.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 14Late Late x 2 (list)