1. Post #841

September 2011
    213 Posts
    Haven't started reading, expect a review when I'm done.
    I read a few books from that series a couple of years ago,they're not bad but I got bored and gave up on Scorpia.I think Skeleton Key was my favourite out of the ones I read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #842
    I'm trying once again to finish Godel, Escher, Bach
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #843
    I pushed my dad off the stairs and all I got was he came back
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    Are there any books on clones and such? Like them first being treated as dirt, then as humans?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

4. Post #844
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,324 Posts
    Are there any books on clones and such? Like them first being treated as dirt, then as humans?
    Don't know about clones, but 'Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep' explores some similar issues with almost human androids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #845
    Dennab
    February 2012
    1,191 Posts
    Point Blank has a clone plot, as long as you don't mid reading through the school shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #846
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    13,004 Posts
    Started reading Under the Dome by Stephen King today and I'm not that impressed so far. Other King books have me hooked by page 20 but this one just hasn't. It seems to be that king was just thinking, "Okay, now what can I slam against the dome?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

7. Post #847
    July 2009
    9,810 Posts
    Started reading Under the Dome by Stephen King today and I'm not that impressed so far. Other King books have me hooked by page 20 but this one just hasn't. It seems to be that king was just thinking, "Okay, now what can I slam against the some?"
    I read it and I agree, the beginning is incredibly boring. It gets better fast though especially when    Junior's condition gets worse   
    Not really a spoiler but it foreshadows what happens to Junior. Its quite obvious but who knows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #848
    "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson, yes there was a book before they made the movie, basically its about a journalist and his lawyer who go to Las Vegas to cover multiple events but due to drug use they get sidetracked(if you can call it that), its a good book and it keeps you wondering how they don't get arrested for all the weird shit they do.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #849
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    1,355 Posts
    yeah i started reading fear and loathing the other day funniest shit ever i swear

also is "a song of fire and ice" good? I like that LOTR type fantasy genre type stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #850

February 2012
    20 Posts
    yeah i started reading fear and loathing the other day funniest shit ever i swear

also is "a song of fire and ice" good? I like that LOTR type fantasy genre type stuff
    It is brilliant. Haven't you seen Game of Thrones to give you an idea how it is?

I find it even better than LOTR since the story has a lot more nuances. It isn't just the "Good guys vs the bad guys" kind of story. It's about the struggle for power between different factions. It's about politics, schemes, war, love, revenge. There are so many characters and they are so well written that it's so amazing to see them interact with each other.

Going to wait for the second season of Game of Thrones to finish before I start reading the third book. Or else I'm afraid i'll get confused.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #851
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    1,355 Posts
    I have no idea what game of thrones is but i hear that phrase a lot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

12. Post #852
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    I have no idea what game of thrones is but i hear that phrase a lot
    HBO released a series called "A Game of Thrones" last year. It was based on the first book in the "A song of Ice and Fire" series. It became hugely popular because of its uncensored violence and sexuality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

13. Post #853

February 2012
    20 Posts
    HBO released a series called "A Game of Thrones" last year. It was based on the first book in the "A song of Ice and Fire" series. It became hugely popular because of its uncensored violence and sexuality.
    It became popular because it's an excellent show.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #854
    February 2010
    834 Posts
    Finished Jurassic Park, it was a lot better then I expected. Reading Lord of the Flies now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

15. Post #855
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,611 Posts
    Picked up 4 star trek novels for 2 bucks the other day 50c each swap meet (car boot sale) usually 6 dollars each on ebay Apparently all first editions from 1995
    Voyager: Caretaker
    Next gen: All good things, Q-squared and Balance of Power.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

16. Post #856
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,796 Posts
    Picked up this book again.

Still one of my all time favorite books.

Great quotes:
    "Society had a crime problem. It hired cops to attack crime. Now society has a cop problem."

"Albert Camus wrote that the only serious question is whether to kill yourself or not. Tom Robbins wrote that the only serious question is whether time has a beginning and an end. Camus clearly got up on the wrong side of bed, and Robbins must have forgotten to set the alarm."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

17. Post #857
    January 2010
    5,900 Posts
    Anyone know any books similar to Secure Contain Protect. I want a paranormal horror that instead of focusing on one creature has multiple detailed entries/creatures. And it cant have a movie based on it.

18. Post #858
    Picked up 4 star trek novels for 2 bucks the other day 50c each swap meet (car boot sale) usually 6 dollars each on ebay Apparently all first editions from 1995
    Voyager: Caretaker
    Next gen: All good things, Q-squared and Balance of Power.
    So are the books are just like the episodes or is there more to them then just the plot line of the episode? because those are episode names if i'm correct.

19. Post #859
    Dennab
    February 2012
    1,191 Posts

I'm reading the whole series.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

20. Post #860
    February 2010
    834 Posts
    Finished Lord of the Flies, pretty good

Anybody know a book that will scare me so much that i'll lose sleep?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #861
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts
    Currently reading Lies my Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen

22. Post #862
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    13,748 Posts
    Finished Lord of the Flies, pretty good

Anybody know a book that will scare me so much that i'll lose sleep?
    Books have never really scared me, but one that'll possibly keep you up is The Andromeda Strain.

23. Post #863
    You're Gonna Carry That Weight.
    June 2008
    7,184 Posts
    Anyone who knows of Alan Partridge should read his book. It is hilarious, I've never laughed so much at a book and I'm only on the second chapter. Even the recommendations on the back are funny:
    "Very thourough" - The Norwich Enquirer
    "The man of the moment" TV Quick (1994)

Edited:

Oh yeah also it's called I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #864
    King Shit of Turd Mountain
    July 2009
    8,905 Posts

yeah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #865
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,153 Posts

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Read it for a class, but it certainly was not a bad book. I disliked the parts with Oscar, and for some reason I was emotionally destabilized during the grandfather/grandmother parts, which seeming rather hauntingly disturbing. Really, beside bad, once-in-a-while funny jokes, the Oscar's parts were completely pointless.

26. Post #866
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,765 Posts

I actually like this book more than the first one.

27. Post #867
    December 2009
    5,967 Posts
    Oh yeah, just ordered this book

it's going to be a very good post-exam read
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

28. Post #868
    February 2010
    2,845 Posts
    Finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest yesterday. God damn that was great.

29. Post #869
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,613 Posts
    Just started The Crucible by Arthur Miller, haven't been a fan of reading plays before (minus Shakespeare or Sophocles) so I'm interested as to how I will enjoy it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

30. Post #870
    March 2009
    628 Posts
    Anyone here read the First Law trilogy? I'm on the last book now and its been a great series so far. It's your typical swords and sorcery kinda book but its got a nice dark/realistic theme to it. Pretty gory too.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #871
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,450 Posts
    Ordered the first 3 Black Company books and Mortal Engines off a second hand book site. Should be here in a week or so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #872
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    8,216 Posts
    mortal engines is a fucking amazing series, congrats on the purchase
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #873
    January 2012
    477 Posts

Read this one a while ago, I'm reading The Drawing of the Three right now (the second novel in the series of seven). The book is a fantasy/western that is a really great read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #874
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,681 Posts

Anyone read this? I'm trying to get hold of a copy, but my local library doesn't have one.

Scientist Charles Neumann loses a leg in an industrial accident. Itís not a tragedy. Itís an opportunity. Charlie always thought his body could be better. He begins to explore a few ideas. To build parts. Better parts.

Prosthetist Lola Shanks loves a good artificial limb. In Charlie, she sees a man on his way to becoming artificial everything. But others see a madman. Or a product. Or a weapon.

A story for the age of pervasive technology, Machine Man is a gruesomely funny unraveling of one manís quest for ultimate self-improvement.
    Seems interesting, but probably the only way I'll be getting it is through Amazon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

35. Post #875
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,485 Posts

Finished these recently.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

36. Post #876
    July 2009
    6,009 Posts
    Oh yeah, just ordered this book

it's going to be a very good post-exam read
    I read it the other day and the only story I liked was I Have No Mouth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Uruguay Show Events

37. Post #877
    December 2009
    5,967 Posts
    I read it the other day and the only story I liked was I Have No Mouth.
    I'm getting it just for that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

38. Post #878
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,938 Posts

I'm reading the whole series.
    I really loved the first two and read them a countless amount of times
    But there were more?

Sweet Jesus I need that RIGHT NOW
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

39. Post #879
    Dennab
    February 2012
    1,191 Posts
    But there were more?

The 3rd one is skeleton key.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #880
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,450 Posts
    But there were more?

They start to get really samey after the 4th one imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)