1. Post #2601
    July 2008
    724 Posts
    I played LoL for year and a half before I came into Dota.
    LoL teached me the basic shit how the game works and other shit. But Dota is more challenging and rewarding compared to LoL, where there is a very solid meta which will not change in a long time. Dota's meta changes all the time from what I have experienced.
    LoL's meta changes pretty often though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

2. Post #2602
    June 2011
    1,212 Posts
    metagolem to metagolem
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #2603
    January 2008
    91 Posts
    I'm almost about ready to say that Dota isn't fun anymore. Seriously, everyone is bad. Always.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #2604
    July 2008
    724 Posts
    I'm almost about ready to say that Dota isn't fun anymore. Seriously, everyone is bad. Always.
    get someone to play with
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

5. Post #2605
    January 2008
    91 Posts
    get someone to play with
    I have one friend who I'm with every game, and we always do great. The other 3? Always feed beyond belief or miss crucial skills and opportunities. We try and set up premades using chat channels sometimes, and those players are just as bad if not worse as than those we random with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

6. Post #2606
    July 2009
    605 Posts
    AP carry mid
    Bruiser top
    Ranged AD carry and support bot
    Jungler

This is how it is every game of LoL or you lose.

DotA has the possiblities of tri-laning, non-jungler is optional, roaming is optional, there's just a lot more options and the heroes aren't just stuck to one role so there's a lot more possibilities to change.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #2607
    April 2010
    2,601 Posts
    So, played my first game really like it but I suck.

Played Razor

53 lasthits, was impossibru since I had like 300 ping.

idk what the fuck to build so I just built recommended items.

ended 6/4/8 so it wasn't all bad I guess.

Anyone suggest me some heroes who are easy to learn the game with?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

8. Post #2608
    May 2011
    3,248 Posts
    AP carry mid
    Bruiser top
    Jungler

DotA has the possiblities of tri-laning, non-jungler is optional, roaming is optional, there's just a lot more options and the heroes aren't just stuck to one role so there's a lot more possibilities to change.
    Also the fact that in LoL about 30~ out of the +100 champs are only picked in competitive play, while in Dota you can basically pick anyone and still affect in the result positively.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #2609
    July 2008
    724 Posts
    AP carry mid
    Bruiser top
    Jungler

I guess I misspoke, I was thinking of back when it was ad or ap mid and jungling could be replaced by a duo mid.

Edited:

I have one friend who I'm with every game, and we always do great. The other 3? Always feed beyond belief or miss crucial skills and opportunities. We try and set up premades using chat channels sometimes, and those players are just as bad if not worse as than those we random with.
    Find good players or join a FP premade or something.

10. Post #2610
    April 2010
    2,601 Posts
    Also when I asked my team where the secret shop was and shit they actually tried to help me, is this normal?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

11. Post #2611
    July 2008
    724 Posts
    Also when I asked my team where the secret shop was and shit they actually tried to help me, is this normal?
    People actually helped a new player in Dota, that never happens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #2612
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    5,027 Posts
    So, played my first game really like it but I suck.

Played Razor

53 lasthits, was impossibru since I had like 300 ping.

idk what the fuck to build so I just built recommended items.

ended 6/4/8 so it wasn't all bad I guess.

Anyone suggest me some heroes who are easy to learn the game with?
    Try Lich, very simple (i.e. easy skills, overall safe and effective) support who is mana independant thanks to his 3rd skill (just use it on creeps that have a lot of HP, i.e. undamaged melee creeps prefferably). Q is great for harass and as a nuke/slow in general (you can cast it often thanks to Sacrifice).
    Frost Armor is great mid/late game and sometimes even early, but for very basic play you can leave it for later levels.

Ultimate is simple. It deals damage and then bounces onto unit in range. No units = no bounces. Creeps close by = might bounce to them.
    I.e. cast in on heroes who are in tight group/can't spread out, try to save it for teamfight (but don't be afraid to last hit a hero with it if that's last resort) and have fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #2613
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,992 Posts
    Skeleton King's pretty easy as well. Passive Critical Chance and Lifesteal Aura, Point and Click Stun, his Ult's basically an extra life. The only thing is he's a carry, and while he's not a hard carry to learn, if he doesn't get enough farm for his Armlet, the game could be done.

My suggestion is (and the thread has stated this multiple times) set up a bot game, pick a hero that you find interesting, read a guide about him/her/it, practice in the bot game on easy/medium. If you can beat the bots on Medium/Hard easily or at least have a decent score line at the end, then try a real game.

If you do well, continue on and welcome to DotA MM. If not, go back in to the bot game and practice a few more times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

14. Post #2614
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,906 Posts
    Lost 7 games in a row since the weekend. Where did all of these horrible players come from all of a sudden?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Gibraltar Show Events

15. Post #2615
    July 2008
    724 Posts
    Am I the only one on a winning streak

16. Post #2616
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    3,666 Posts

Played a game with some guys from Reddit, expected it to go terribly.
    I was pleasantly surprised.

Although Necro, Jak, and ES kept stealing farm from Weaver and I even when we asked for them to leave and let us farm.

2-3 of my deaths were early on, when Jak d/c'd for 3 minutes and I got tower dived a few times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

17. Post #2617
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,556 Posts
    Am I the only one on a winning streak
    i have a positive ratio because i don't solo queue like an idiot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #2618
    July 2008
    724 Posts
    i have a positive ratio because i don't solo queue like an idiot.
    I have a positive ratio and solo like an idiot. Lady luck seems to be on my side
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #2619
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,596 Posts
    Any tips for playing Necrolyte? I always enjoy playing him but I never feel useful.

20. Post #2620
    September 2011
    892 Posts
    I have a positive ratio since I solo queue and I hand it to the other team anally

21. Post #2621
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    Any tips for playing Necrolyte? I always enjoy playing him but I never feel useful.
    Hit low people with big sharp stick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Spain Show Events

22. Post #2622
    Is that a rocket in your pocket?
    March 2010
    8,414 Posts
    Hit low people with big sharp stick.
    don't forget to be a useless piece of shit throwing skulls around all day erry day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Spain Show Events

23. Post #2623
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,556 Posts
    don't forget to be a useless piece of shit throwing skulls around all day erry day
    necro is actually good if properly used, it's just that if the enemy has a furion it's easy to shut him down so he becomes a useless piece of shit throwing skulls around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #2624
    March 2010
    8,414 Posts
    Yeah necro is pretty damn good, like my friend always says "he can secretly carry if played well"

I enjoy playing him a lot, also that feeling when your mate dives a turret and you save him with your Q

25. Post #2625
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    I don't care if Necro gets fed or whatever, but HOLY FUCK THAT AURA.
    It ruins your laning phase so bad you can do better in jungle as Sniper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

26. Post #2626
    March 2010
    8,414 Posts
    who the fuck gets the aura before the mana gain laning anyways

don't forget it gives you 600 mana if you get a kill at level 4 which helps a fuckton as necro

and it's % based so the only thing it's gonna do early is push your lane

27. Post #2627
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    who the fuck gets the aura before the mana gain laning anyways
    The Necrolyte who laned against Beezle and myself.

Edited:

Fucking asshole.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

28. Post #2628
    September 2011
    892 Posts
    The Necrolyte who laned against Beezle and myself.

Edited:

Fucking asshole.
    Laugh in his face when it doesnt help him when he gets ganked

29. Post #2629
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,058 Posts
    http://marlamin.com/cdr/view.php?type=sub&id=13655

DOTA 2 Steel Series Retail. What could it be? Also, Dota 2 Test received a tiny update, which removed the subtitle files for those announcer_naturesprophet etc.

The plot thickens!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #2630
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,921 Posts
    http://marlamin.com/cdr/view.php?type=sub&id=13655

DOTA 2 Steel Series Retail. What could it be? Also, Dota 2 Test received a tiny update, which removed the subtitle files for those announcer_naturesprophet etc.

The plot thickens!
    Portal 2 had some additional downloads if you purchased some piece of hardware, perhaps this will be the same thing. Steel Series will probably have some promotion with Valve and Dota 2, custom keyboards for Dota 2 seems to be most likely.

31. Post #2631
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,320 Posts

getting better with farming

32. Post #2632
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    868 Posts
    Woo! 2/1/21 with Crystal Maiden and I had a void, so free ulti! What a way to break the streak.

33. Post #2633
    February 2011
    93 Posts
    I dont understand why is there a dota test is it like the beta for the beta?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #2634
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    868 Posts
    I dont understand why is there a dota test is it like the beta for the beta?
    I don't understand, either. I think Valve wants to keep the esport community alive and growing until release, though, so it's really just a "finished game so far" thing so that everyone can play without really testing, with the actual beta splitting off.

35. Post #2635
    February 2011
    93 Posts
    I don't understand, either. I think Valve wants to keep the esport community alive and growing until release, though, so it's really just a "finished game so far" thing so that everyone can play without really testing, with the actual beta splitting off.
    I Would not go as far to say it a finished game there are still tons of things they need to fix like Hold.... lol

and also a new interface for the shop would be nice

36. Post #2636
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    I Would not go as far to say it a finished game there are still tons of things they need to fix like Hold.... lol

and also a new interface for the shop would be nice
    You don't know about the test feature, but you are pushing for a new UI for something you can't even see without manipulating game files?

37. Post #2637
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,921 Posts
    You don't know about the test feature, but you are pushing for a new UI for something you can't even see without manipulating game files?
    Think he means the in game shop.

You know, the place where you buy your rapiers from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #2638
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    2,532 Posts
    Is 8-3-17 good for my first time as Silencer? I was playing single draft and got him as my Intelligence hero. And no, I didn't have the middle lane.

39. Post #2639
    February 2011
    93 Posts
    I was just wondering why there is a test build if it is beta

40. Post #2640
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,921 Posts
    I was just wondering why there is a test build if it is beta
    They're either preparing for open beta or they want to have a stable version for tournaments.