1. Post #3241
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,331 Posts
    And that's if they even provide Windows binaries. I've run into at least a few packages where I could just apt-get them on Linux, then when I try to build for Windows they just go "Here's the source tarball, godspeed!"
    Here's a fool proof guide for developing software on windows:
    Step 1) Give up
    Step 2) Install Linux
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24Funny Funny x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #3242
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Here's a fool proof guide for developing software on windows:
    Step 1) Give up
    Step 2) Install Linux
    Step 3) Spend 90 minutes finding out how to change resolution.
    Step 4) Give up and go back to Windows.

Yes I'm that stupid, alright?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 10Agree x 9Funny x 7Disagree x 2Zing x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3243
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,615 Posts
    Step 3) Spend 90 minutes finding out how to change resolution.
    Step 4) Give up and go back to Windows.

Yes I'm that stupid, alright?
    well see you just need to wget xmesaorg2.4.50102.tgz and untar it to your /sbin/usr/bin folder while you cross-compile your root permissions into a hash ball. quite simple really
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 46Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #3244
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    well see you just need to wget xmesaorg2.4.50102.tgz and untar it to your /sbin/usr/bin folder while you cross-compile your root permissions into a hash ball. quite simple really
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

5. Post #3245
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,932 Posts
    Started working on a game with my friend Kukiric (another facepuncher) and so far I've made a base entity which I can then extend with other classes later on to add specific functionality, but for now it's nothing more than a pretty picture with a ton of functions under the hood.

And the functions I was talking about:

This is pretty much my first proper attempt with c++, and I'm not even reading any SFML references, just learning as I progress.

Can't wait till Kukiric makes an entity manager, that way everything can be nice and tidy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #3246
    April 2011
    793 Posts
    Rundiculous - Facepunch Game Programming Competition #5 (WIP)

Made some grass and flowers.

The game won't be finished :(   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Croatia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

7. Post #3247
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    working on "action buttons" which allow you to selectively run motors (and soon thrusters) instead of having them always-off or always-on

Edited:

this way you can actually make a drive-able car (with the camera Follow option) and other vehicles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #3248
    That Dog
    March 2009
    11,904 Posts
    Basic cinematics! (With that, I mean a dialogue and a delay on the fadeout effect)

Edit:

This is all map-specific (no shit), loaded from a Lua file:

return {
        init= function ()
            map.blackTimeout = 3.5
            tools.timer.add(function ()
                tools.dialogue.addLine("It was a dark night...", {255,255,255})
            end, 1)
                tools.dialogue.addLine("You don't remember anything.", {255,255,255})
            end, 3)
                tools.dialogue.addLine("You: Where am I?", {255,127,0})
            end, 8)
                nots.add("Use [A] and [D] to walk around", 10)
            end, 12)
        end,
        tick= function ()

end
    }

Your dialogue says to use A and D to walk, but to get there you would have already had to walk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #3249
    September 2011
    312 Posts
    You guys know how YoGUI was UGLY AS SHIT?

Well I recently added nine-patch support. So if you make a nine-patch image, YoGUI supports it.

I stole Android's ICS button image and stuck it in YoGUI.

IT'S WONDROUS!

Now make all the other shit look good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 21Zing Zing x 2 (list)

10. Post #3250
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    2,767 Posts
    Now make all the other shit look good
    And change the font, it looks absolutely terrible like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

11. Post #3251
    September 2001
    12,198 Posts
    Just out of interest, why?
    I've never actually used it, but it seems like a pretty damn useful set of tools. What about it do you dislike?
    It's not that I hate it, I just don't like making my stuff rely on it. I love the idea of it and if it was included with every compiler on every platform I'd be using the shit out of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #3252
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    It's not that I hate it, I just don't like making my stuff rely on it. I love the idea of it and if it was included with every compiler on every platform I'd be using the shit out of it.
    This is my only concern about it as well. I don't want people to be downloading MASSIVE libraries next to my software, and I couldn't dream of including it in my software.
    I do use it, though, to speed up my development until I get the more "low-level" functions ready.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

13. Post #3253
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,135 Posts
    Ah, I see. Out of all the people on this forum who said they hated boost, you've been the only one to actually give a valid reason why. I was starting to think it was just a giant bandwagon or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #3254
    Your dialogue says to use A and D to walk, but to get there you would have already had to walk.
    I'm gonna make it the first level to load on first startup
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

15. Post #3255
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Exposed functionality to create and manipulate multiple VMs in JSOS:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Programming King Programming King x 8Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #3256
    Just uploaded a new build of my game - Makes "intro" be the first map loaded on first run. Launch again or go to Main Menu on the gesture menu to get the menu.
    If you'd like to mess around with it, there are some editable files in AppData/LOVE/BR2 you can customise. .bdf and .biq are just JSON files for now, gonna make them binary later.
    (In edit mode, 3rd mouse button activates fly mode)

Edited:

Oh and Garry, I'm using Bundl'r to make it one .exe file - works great, thanks for making it!

17. Post #3257
    April 2010
    2,227 Posts
    Just uploaded a new build of my game - Makes "intro" be the first map loaded on first run. Launch again or go to Main Menu on the gesture menu to get the menu.
    If you'd like to mess around with it, there are some editable files in AppData/LOVE/BR2 you can customise. .bdf and .biq are just JSON files for now, gonna make them binary later.
    (In edit mode, 3rd mouse button activates fly mode)

Edited:

Oh and Garry, I'm using Bundl'r to make it one .exe file - works great, thanks for making it!

May have found a slight way to get in the terrain

Jump, place blocks above you, get stuck in terrain

Also, the jump frequency is much too high, and i would recommend making the jump height slightly higher, as well as the actual jump take longer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #3258
    Also, the jump frequency is much too high, and i would recommend making the jump height slightly higher, as well as the actual jump take longer
    Not realistic, but it does look better, thanks.

Also, about getting stuck in blocks in editing mode isn't that bad nor is it easly fixable without getting other cons.

19. Post #3259
    I gave enough money to buy a soda.
    May 2010
    1,326 Posts
    -snip, fp hates blank XNA projects :P-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

20. Post #3260
    Started making a tower defense game, ASD Tower Defense. Starting good!

Need a name that abbreviated would be ASD, since i cant think of anything good.
    Awesome Super-Deluxe Tower Defense

21. Post #3261
    I gave enough money to buy a soda.
    May 2010
    1,326 Posts
    Awesome Super-Deluxe Tower Defense
    Sweeet, thanks!

Edited:

Yay, tilemap :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

22. Post #3262
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,471 Posts
    Started making a tower defense game, ASD Tower Defense. Starting good!

Need a name that abbreviated would be ASD, since i cant think of anything good.
    Cornflower blue is Facepunch's least favorite color.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/102...1#post26324055
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

23. Post #3263
    May 2010
    5,273 Posts
    Not realistic, but it does look better, thanks.

Also, about getting stuck in blocks in editing mode isn't that bad nor is it easly fixable without getting other cons.
    What pathfinding do you use for this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #3264
    I don't have any AI yet, but when I do, it's gonna be veery simple.

25. Post #3265
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,850 Posts
    Okay guys, I feel it now

I am ready to switch from C# and XNA to C++ and SFML
    You should know that I have done extreme workouts for weeks for this, I hope it sufficed

Now, where is the test?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

26. Post #3266
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,426 Posts
    I don't see any pathfinding...?

edit: okay, wow. Ninjas all over this place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #3267
    May 2010
    5,273 Posts
    I don't see any pathfinding...?

edit: okay, wow. Ninjas all over this place.
    I thought he said in a previous post that the stickman followed the mouse, but my bad

28. Post #3268
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,880 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that's him playing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

29. Post #3269
    I thought he said in a previous post that the stickman followed the mouse, but my bad
    That's flymode

Edited:

Moved the exit

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #3270
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,850 Posts
    Okay guys, I feel it now

I am ready to switch from C# and XNA to C++ and SFML
    You should know that I have done extreme workouts for weeks for this, I hope it sufficed

Now, where is the test?
    Code:
    1>------ Build started: Project: sfml, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>Main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) void __cdecl sf::Sleep(float)" (__imp_?Sleep@sf@@YAXM@Z) referenced in function _main
    1>Main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: float __thiscall sf::Clock::GetElapsedTime(void)const " (__imp_?GetElapsedTime@Clock@sf@@QBEMXZ) referenced in function _main
    1>c:\users\heh\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\sfml\Debug\sfml.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
    RETREAT RETREAT
    I spend this hour trying everything to solve the errors, copying dlls everywhere and including everything to no avail
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

31. Post #3271
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    343 Posts
    Did you include the correct libraries?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #3272
    May 2008
    898 Posts
    Code:
    1>------ Build started: Project: sfml, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>Main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) void __cdecl sf::Sleep(float)" (__imp_?Sleep@sf@@YAXM@Z) referenced in function _main
    1>Main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: float __thiscall sf::Clock::GetElapsedTime(void)const " (__imp_?GetElapsedTime@Clock@sf@@QBEMXZ) referenced in function _main
    1>c:\users\heh\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\sfml\Debug\sfml.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
    RETREAT RETREAT
    I spend this hour trying everything to solve the errors, copying dlls everywhere and including everything to no avail
    You didn't link all of the SFML libraries, have a look on their wiki, I'm guessing it explains exactly what you need to link to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #3273
    May 2010
    5,273 Posts
    Anyone know what the difference between the unicode and ANSI versions of NSIS are?
    Or more to the point if any are more compatible or better to use?

34. Post #3274
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,682 Posts
    Cornflower blue is Facepunch's least favorite color.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/102...1#post26324055
    but cornflower blue is my favourite colour ever..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #3275
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,172 Posts
    Moved the exit

Make the exit really hard to reach so you can only quit after playing some time!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

36. Post #3276
    Make the exit really hard to reach so you can only quit after playing some time!
    Like the reward of the final level?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #3277
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,928 Posts
    Quick somebody give me something simple to make in C++ to improve my skills in it. Something super simple. I have done Java for the past 1 and a half years and we started C++ today. I have never made anything good, which is why something simple would be nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

38. Post #3278
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,345 Posts
    Today is the last day of my awesome programming job because I have to do community service for the next 9 months (every male in Austria has the choice between community service and military service). I'll miss it dearly. :(
    Hit me too, but since yesterday I am now officially a paramedic. After that off to Uni.. lost a year basically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

39. Post #3279
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    fuck fuck fuck

i'm at the "we need to release but we keep thinking of more awesome features" stage of my physics sandbox

we need to do a feature freeze
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

40. Post #3280
    fuck fuck fuck

i'm at the "we need to release but we keep thinking of more awesome features" stage of my physics sandbox

we need to do a feature freeze
    Updates?