1. Post #3521
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,065 Posts
    Here's our presentation trailer for the game me and my game team have been working on at school. I was the art director. We're still going to polish it up more for the summer, but we still won best sophomore game

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #3522
    November 2010
    680 Posts
    some kind of derp monster thing

Edited:

did i go overboard with the specular highlights?
    If you don't mind, I might play around with this.
    When I have time- which isn't very often.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #3523
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,224 Posts
    Just failed an assignment because I got a burn and couldn't complete it.

Edited:

This was going to be a just simple study, but then I realized that I'm tired of studies, so I desided to turn it into something more interesting

I like hi-techy tacticool things too much, I guess.
    why would a naked girl hold a gun and why would anyone hold a gun like that

Your rendering is coming across quite muddy and it accentuates anatomical flaws. Work on the shape of the head, right proportions and shapes of arms, how legs connect to the torso, and foreshortening.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #3524
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,908 Posts
    This was going to be a just simple study, but then I realized that I'm tired of studies, so I desided to turn it into something more interesting

Don't be afraid to use models/references.

Da Vinci, Michaelangelo - all the cool kids - used models/references. You're allowed to, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

5. Post #3525
    September 2010
    718 Posts
    If you don't mind, I might play around with this.
    When I have time- which isn't very often.
    sure man, go ahead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

6. Post #3526
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,696 Posts

Original character, do not steal. :B
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12 (list)

7. Post #3527
    Here's to giving Garry Newman more money.
    August 2011
    5,084 Posts
    First art award ever. I got honorable mention at the district art show for the 9th-10th grade category. Not much, but it makes me feel like I haven't wasted the 10 months I've spent learning to draw.

Don't bother mentioning how broken the fingers are, I already know. Drawing hands turned out to be really hard, but I'm working at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #3528
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    6,988 Posts

The whole pose doesn't quite fit together for me, but I love the aspect of the face and the hooves

You use refs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #3529
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,696 Posts
    The whole pose doesn't quite fit together for me, but I love the aspect of the face and the hooves

You use refs?
    Nope, no refs. I didn't feel it was needed.

10. Post #3530
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,908 Posts
    Nope, no refs.

You should

As often as you can

Edited:

by 'you' I mean 'everybody'

and by 'as often as you can' I mean 'whenever you feel is necessary'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

11. Post #3531
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,139 Posts
    some kind of derp monster thing

Edited:

did i go overboard with the specular highlights?
    It just seems very random. I don't know where the light is coming from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #3532
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,397 Posts
    free hand

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10 (list)

13. Post #3533
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    62,532 Posts

solid ox
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

14. Post #3534
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,696 Posts
    solid ox
    Oh man, I love that.

15. Post #3535
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,139 Posts
    Here's our presentation trailer for the game me and my game team have been working on at school. I was the art director. We're still going to polish it up more for the summer, but we still won best sophomore game

The graphics really need polishing, this is not to sounds defeating but they look like they could have been made in Paint. I'd imagine WoW style hand painted textures would go a long way although I understand learning to paint in that style might be a huge undertaking.

Just keep working on it, it's like they say that the last 10% of the game takes 90% of the time. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

16. Post #3536
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    10,138 Posts

I'm really sorry, but her face reminds me of Eric Idle

What did you use as a reference?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

17. Post #3537
    October 2011
    2,291 Posts
    Really quick oil paint (like 4 hours total)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 21Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #3538
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    6,988 Posts
    The colours and the way you lit him make him look like a cast-iron sculpture or something

His ears look a tad strange in relation to each other as well

Nice piece though

Edited:

Dear Corel devs,
    I hope you fall in a well and die

P.S: No, really
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #3539
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,161 Posts
    -snip wrong thread lol-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #3540
    moo
    November 2006
    4,767 Posts

This is the Lonely Mountain, from The Hobbit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #3541
    May 2010
    772 Posts

i did a self portrait looking thing.
    actually looks better than me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #3542
    [b][highlight][size=+10]STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T[/size][/highlight][/b]
    January 2009
    2,013 Posts

something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

23. Post #3543
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,908 Posts
    Not really happy with it, might work on it some more.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

24. Post #3544
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,063 Posts

Woah, it's completely different. Did you decide that you would make the focus more on the road than the building? That's what it feels like, but I like how my eye is still drawn to it.

25. Post #3545
    January 2011
    6,988 Posts
    I've lost the emotion that I got from the monochrome rough

I think it's because you always work in a stilted, artificial looking palette

Your perspectives never really ring true either

Edited:

Which sort of reminds me of the issues in Xephio's work, sans the garish/neon colours that tend to appear

Maybe do a photostudy of a landscape?

Edited:

I do like what you've done with those birds though, if that's what they are
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

26. Post #3546
    January 2009
    2,077 Posts

I want to live in this painting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #3547
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,228 Posts
    Trying to get into vector based stuff

(Click for full-size)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #3548
    January 2009
    171 Posts
    Trying to get into vector based stuff

(Click for full-size)
    I can kinda vaguely understand what's going on, but not really at the same time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

29. Post #3549
    I paid $1 and all got was an STD
    October 2007
    1,772 Posts
    -snip-
    Posting in wrong thread makes you dumber than fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

30. Post #3550
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,228 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Zing Zing x 1 (list)

31. Post #3551
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    6,908 Posts
    I've lost the emotion that I got from the monochrome rough

I think it's because you always work in a stilted, artificial looking palette

Your perspectives never really ring true either

Edited:

Which sort of reminds me of the issues in Xephio's work, sans the garish/neon colours that tend to appear

Maybe do a photostudy of a landscape?

Edited:

I do like what you've done with those birds though, if that's what they are

Thanks for the critique =D

Yeah, I found it really hard to go from monochrome to colour. I really wanted to retain the... 'feel' that the monochrome had. HOWEVER I'm beginning to realise that the colour/monochrome ideas surrounding photographs (the different effects achieved by each) apply to paintings as well. So maybe it's impossible to capture that same feeling.

I did have a view in my head of what I wanted to achieve - a sort of storybook landscape style image. If I do redo this piece I'm going to probably use landscape illustrations and paintings (book covers, etc) as reference for colours and whatnot.

I've done a few landscape photostudies; I'll definitely make a point of using references in ALL of my works from now on, I think.

The perspective in this one wasn't really thought out. The only bit where perspective is a relevant issue is with those lamp posts - that bit was a rough sketch really. Perspective is definitely something I'm working on though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #3552
    January 2011
    6,988 Posts
    Maybe if you plotted your piece out in monochrome and then just colour picked here and there from a ref that might be a completely different scene or composition to get some more subdued or realistic colours

Or something

Probably not the best idea to reference existing paintings though, photos are already a step away from life, and an artist's rendition is a step away from that

Could become a crutch that you don't really want as an artist
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

33. Post #3553
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    1,116 Posts
    Cityscape thumbnail practice. Really just trying to get perspective right.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

34. Post #3554
    September 2005
    62,532 Posts
    sorry to put this there but I figured it was the best place -
    we're looking for a capable digital painter for an upcoming hl2 mod made by all the cool mods of facpeunch. it's mainly for a menu background but may include other things down the road. we're looking for someone who can paint something sketchy and painterly while also being detailed (a bit like the metal gear solid concept artwork)

just shoot me a pm if you think you're right for the job (because i don't want to shit up this thread) and maybe an example of your work similar to the style we're looking for

cheeeEerrss fellers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #3555
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,630 Posts
    we're looking for a capable digital painter for an upcoming hl2 mod made by all the cool mods of facpeunch. it's mainly for a menu background but may include other things down the road. we're looking for someone who can paint something sketchy and painterly while also being detailed (a bit like the metal gear solid concept artwork)

just shoot me a pm if you think you're right for the job (because i don't want to shit up this thread) and maybe an example of your work similar to the style we're looking for

cheeeEerrss fellers
    look at this^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #3556
    May 2010
    772 Posts
    General J, id buy the shit outta your vector designs if they were silk screened on shirts or somethin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

37. Post #3557
    September 2005
    62,532 Posts
    General J, id buy the shit outta your vector designs if they were silk screened on shirts or somethin
    they are filtered photographs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #3558
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,440 Posts
    they are filtered photographs
    yes yes yes

General J, if you really are interested in vector designs then i think that's great, but just using LiveTrace or some other filter on a photo doesn't equate to creating vector work...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #3559
    December 2009
    5,965 Posts
    you'll also get better looking results if you do it properly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

40. Post #3560
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts

cheeeEerrss fellers
    waaaaah i wanna do this but im not sure im good enough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)