1. Post #2721
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,253 Posts
    Matter of preference

Edited:

I like Sai because it blends colours, unlike photoshop which just uses transparency. This means that I can mix colours into each other as I would if I were working with wet-on-wet paint. It also means I can work in the way I feel comfortable (mixing colours on the canvas).

I think that's technically correct, anyway
    also there's this handy thing

though if there's one thing I'd love it's the Lab mixer

because god damn

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2722
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,151 Posts
    I have no problem with drawing black male characters, but female ones are more tricky to me (especially if I want to make them pretty)

I heard it was a matter of lips and cheekbones, but I don't want something that looks too ridiculous. Does anyone have some tips about that ?
    Take a look at skulls and bone structure of the heads, you'll see differences in jaws and skull shape.

http://mathildasanthropologyblog.wor...n-skull-shape/

Start from there, and then study some other features like eyelids, noses and lips.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #2723
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    i like photoshop and i dont think i'll ever switch but it would be nice to have a better way of blending colours. you can use the wet media brush tool but then things get a bit complex because it simulates brush bristles in 3d and all that.

when i used corel painter i just didnt think the brushes worked that well, curves had jagged edges and they only seemed to work properly when doing strokes, trying to just do a dot on the canvas either produced nothing or it went wrong and produced a weird shape
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #2724
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,253 Posts
    playing with this some more. I have no idea what I'm doing anatomically it's just a matter of tweaking things to where I think they look good. I should look up refs for ears because I know these are tiny, but I'm not sure where I'm going between stylized and realish

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

5. Post #2725
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,732 Posts
    still looks a bit weird for an anime chick. I guess its because there's too many details
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events

6. Post #2726
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,253 Posts
    like I said earlier, I'm trying to play with styles and, though it is anime-ish, I'm way too finnicky about light and end up shading semi-realistically and that conflicts a bit

here's a non-shaded version-

I should work more on just sketching out a bunch of different poses and expressions to practice the base form if I want to develop it out a bit more stylistically, particularly aiming away from 'anime' and just being something more illustrative, I guess?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #2727
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,732 Posts
    like I said earlier, I'm trying to play with styles and, though it is anime-ish, I'm way too finnicky about light and end up shading semi-realistically and that conflicts a bit

here's a non-shaded version-

I should work more on just sketching out a bunch of different poses and expressions to practice the base form if I want to develop it out a bit more stylistically, particularly aiming away from 'anime' and just being something more illustrative, I guess?
    oh i guess i didn't catch that post or something
    Well, the eyes make it look animeish so thats a bit of a risk if you want to stay away from anime.

I did a sketch yesterday, just finished the vectors. It's a logo for something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Portugal Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

8. Post #2728
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    400 Posts

Thinking of upping this and putting it on my longboard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

9. Post #2729
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #2730
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,944 Posts
    Anyone know any good tutorials for hand-painted textures? I can't texture for shit and I really need help with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #2731
    DO YOU SLAP THE IMOUTO?YES/NO
    August 2010
    5,138 Posts

list everything i have to improve on and how to do so

im aware that i suck at hands, anything involving feet, and drawing lines probably

ps that took 1 hour
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #2732
    First: Do you want to learn how to draw comic style or realistic?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events

13. Post #2733
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,253 Posts

it keeps happening

14. Post #2734
    DO YOU SLAP THE IMOUTO?YES/NO
    August 2010
    5,138 Posts
    Is there like some sort of in-between comic style and realistic?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

15. Post #2735
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,944 Posts
    First: Do you want to learn how to draw comic style or realistic?
    Me?

[sub]realistic[/sub]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #2736
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,202 Posts
    To draw in a comic style you should learn how to draw realistically first, it helps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #2737
    Me?

[sub]realistic[/sub]
    Before anatomy I suggest studying shading. Observe real things. Think about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events

18. Post #2738
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,944 Posts
    Before anatomy I suggest studying shading. Observe real things. Think about it.
    I think you mixed me up with the other guy.

Anyone know any good tutorials for hand-painted textures? I can't texture for shit and I really need help with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #2739
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,253 Posts

asdf

(imgur being retarded reuploaded)

20. Post #2740
    December 2009
    3,692 Posts
    right shoulder shud be biggur
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #2741
    September 2010
    1,453 Posts
    Theres something rather unappealing about her face, and its not just the stylistic approach. The jowls seem to hang down a bit - that jawline is too low and weird, and the eyes are a bit too big, even for the style. It just makes the nose and mouth look really silly so low down on her face, in relation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #2742
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,253 Posts
    that's the kinda feedback I'm looking for, I'm having a bit of trouble looking at it critically and could use some picking at things like that balance. Though, I know that last one is structured more animeish than the others; I think the look of that one works moderately OK if it's just a b/w sketch and not shaded at all, but then I get carried away and shade a bit

doing some expression excercises right now to really force myself to look at how the face works. Still a little low-balanced with the nose/mouth, but I'm aiming for a tired, 'long' face feel and it just kinda clicks for me at those slightly out-there points. However, I am trying to get the eyes down in size but still keep the feel

I'm liking the right one a bit, and it seems to fix a bit of the low/small facial features, though I'm not sure what she's emoting. Let's call it smugtired

scribblescribble

Edited:

I'm just gonna blame it on slugbox, I've been hanging out with him a bunch and he's not quite one for realish face anatomy, but it looks good in the end result

-his noses are super high and anime-triangle-ized, though. One thing I've noticed and have actively tried holding back is falling into his habit of drawing eyelashes with a face attached, though I can't think of better styling to the lashes other than the first pic I finished up, which honestly I still like best of the past few incarnations

23. Post #2743
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,335 Posts
    You're drawing the ear way too high up, the top part where it starts growing out of the cranium should be aligned with the middle of the eye. Right now the ears are floating way too high.

It also annoys me personally how long and far down her nose is. The distance from the eye and nose is naturally long because of the size contrast as well. So that's two factors adding eachother up.

It also annoys me with anyone doing any anime based drawings they always put the eyes really fucking far to the side of the face. Why is that? It's just not right and looks really bad.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #2744
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,253 Posts
    wow that looks like something out of king of the hill. now I gotta subtitle that one 'duuuuude'

I mentioned at some point yesterday the ears were a concern, so I hear ya on that. Eyes, not so much. I should do more realistic face studies and think a bit more on position, though with larger eyes the size requres a bit of offset or else it looks crossed or gives a feeling that the character is dimwitted

Edited:

I do like that minor nudge edit though.

HOWEVER, dgg, ya gotta help me find a middle-ground here. I know you don't like people trying to draw animu style but I want to find something that's still stylized, not realistic. Clearly I lean eastern rather than western, I love Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's work and character style (though obviously a pinnacle of an anime style), and that's always influenced me, but if you want something much more toward realism, I love Endling's work, especially with lilith and ree.

25. Post #2745
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,335 Posts
    though with larger eyes the size requres a bit of offset or else it looks crossed or gives a feeling that the character is dimwitted
    Not really. If they look dimwitted or looks like the eyes are crossing then you're too far in, even for a normal eye.

You just need to compensate for the bigger size of the eye by giving more space than a normal eye, but it's not really that much more space needed. In almost every anime drawing ever they always overdo it. Mostly because they are imitating artists working their ass off on a tight budget that can't even draw properly on still-shots that pans for a good half-minute.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

26. Post #2746
    a cervine
    May 2008
    6,960 Posts
    it makes square brushing so much fun

the only real problem is that if you use something like my custom flat brush here, it has an issue where it will chop up if your curve is too harsh to rotate smoothly on

still it's incredibly fun playing with them. Dump the brush .bmp below into C:\[location you told SAI to install]\PaintTool SAI English Pack\elemap, then run start-sai.exe instead of just sai.exe in the main folder, which should update the brushes.

- my flat brush, pretty good for blocking out shapes.

also pay attention to the scale next to the shape selection-
    it controls the softening of the brush, which is good to play with depending on what you're aiming for. I keep my flat brush around 50.

Haha first thing when I got SAI to work I made that exact same custom brush.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #2747
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,982 Posts
    Here are a few paintings I made last quarter. It was a beginning painting class, so it was mostly copying/recreating images.

ref

ref

Constructive criticism is welcome; however keep in mind that the quarter's over and I don't have any paint at home so I can't really use the crits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

28. Post #2748
    GOSH FUDGING DARNIT
    January 2008
    7,426 Posts
    Instead of just layering paints, you may want to try blending them on the canvas/paper while they are still wet.

I started the helmet, how is it so far?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

29. Post #2749
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    12,309 Posts
    Instead of just layering paints, you may want to try blending them on the canvas/paper while they are still wet.

I started the helmet, how is it so far?
    The helmet is looking pretty good so far, the texture on it looks right
    The skull though, is a bit too smooth. It also isn't foreshortened enough on the right side

or rather, it's kind of facing a different direction than the helmet is facing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

30. Post #2750
    GOSH FUDGING DARNIT
    January 2008
    7,426 Posts
    Hmmmm do you think I can do some free transform magic in photoshop to fix the right side, or will I have to repaint the whole side?

Also, if you dont mind, could you do a quick sketch of how you think it should look? I dont have a skull model to reference, so it would help me see what needs to be adjusted.

31. Post #2751
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    I just had a really intense life drawing class, it was awesome

Charcoal ones were done with my left hand

Drawn normally in charcoal

Drawn upside down

Drawn half with eyes closed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

32. Post #2752
    June 2010
    3,463 Posts
    Friend asked for a tattoo design..

He didn't really give me good description of what he wanted. If he doesn't like it oh well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #2753
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    I just had a really intense life drawing class, it was awesome

Charcoal ones were done with my left hand

Drawn normally in charcoal

Drawn upside down

Drawn half with eyes closed
    cool i like the smudgy one

also are you at uni now? or going next year?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #2754
    November 2009
    2,821 Posts
    Friend asked for a tattoo design..

He didn't really give me good description of what he wanted. If he doesn't like it oh well
    Groovy man.

I like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

35. Post #2755
    Groovy but I can't picture it as a tattoo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

36. Post #2756
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    cool i like the smudgy one

also are you at uni now? or going next year?
    Will be going to Kingston for the foundation course in September :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

37. Post #2757
    March 2010
    1,124 Posts
    Is it just me, or does it feel like GIMP is missing a lot of potentially helpful tools?
    Or is there an upgraded/updated version that I don't have? I downloaded it like a week ago.

Also is there a way to turn up the sensitivity in GIMP? Response time is kind of... suckish.
    Google "Gimp Painter".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

38. Post #2758
    June 2010
    3,463 Posts
    He saw it, loved it, and at this point no amount of persuasion will convince him not to permanently scar his skin with it. Ah well, at least he got what he wanted.

Groovy but I can't picture it as a tattoo.

Looks like I'm pioneering a new style

39. Post #2759
    January 2009
    171 Posts

CC anyone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #2760
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,174 Posts
    playing with this some more. I have no idea what I'm doing anatomically it's just a matter of tweaking things to where I think they look good. I should look up refs for ears because I know these are tiny, but I'm not sure where I'm going between stylized and realish

Again, your eyes aren't set into the front of the head. The lowest point of the curve is like on top of the cheekbone, so the eyes go around the side of the face. If you were to draw even a basic skull structure to go with those features, the eye sockets would be completely fucked. I suggest roughing out skulls and then doing your faces on top of them for a while - and if you must continue to work stylised, you could at least place the eyes so they take up most of the eye sockets (rather than setting them inside the sockets like real eyes) so that even though they'll be oversized they'll be in the right places, instead of guessing the placement and size.

Plus in the second one, you're hugely over-exaggerating the foreshortening of the eyes. Keep in mind that they're not far away enough to actually appear to be different sizes; it's just how much of the eye you see that matters. So the more you rotate in either direction, the narrower your view of the eye that is further away from you becomes, but the pupil/eyeball, lid height and width should read as the same. So for example if you were to draw a pair of lines between the two top lids, two bottom lids and from the centre of one pupil to the other, they should be parallel no matter the perspective.

Edited:

I love this one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)