1. Post #201
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    404 Posts
    Yesterday I stupidly dropped my Galaxy Nexus. It's still working fine, except for one little thing I noticed today. I have no idea if it had this earlier and I just hadn't noticed it, but it appears as if there's some sort of grain layer over the screen making it look like paper.

Especially when I'm on the homescreen and drag the background to the left and right, I can clearly see the background moving with a fixed grain pattern over it. Is this normal or did my screen break?

This is approximately what it looks like (took a screenshot and added noise with PS)

Could another Nexus owner check if they have this?
    There's a thread on XDA detailing what's normal and what's not:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1394358
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

2. Post #202
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,883 Posts
    I hate how loud my phone vibrates

I'm sitting in lesson with it in my pocket on silent as usual and then suddenly BUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZ and everybody stops and looks at me

if I put it on silent I forget to take it off and end up missing a load of calls/messages
    Wow, I complain about how little it vibrates
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #203
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    There's a thread on XDA detailing what's normal and what's not:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1394358
    Even if that's normal for the GN, honestly the phone should be turning pixels off in blacks, and Google really needs to make sure that the display's white balance and gamut are set up to look right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

4. Post #204
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,469 Posts
    When I connected the tablet with my gmail, what does that actually do? Can google track what I browse, etc. Or is it just for the market and mail?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

5. Post #205
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    When I connected the tablet with my gmail, what does that actually do? Can google track what I browse, etc. Or is it just for the market and mail?
    They can record what you searched for the google application, what apps you've installed/bought/uninstalled.

But really, the security loss isn't that big of a deal. There is no CarrierIQ scandal here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

6. Post #206

November 2011
    410 Posts
    So in the next few days ill be getting an asus transformer (tf101 not prime) from work free, what apps should i get/not get? is there anything i should stay away from like installous for ios?

7. Post #207
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,214 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

8. Post #208
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,414 Posts
    why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

9. Post #209
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,196 Posts
    That's surprisingly well made
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,379 Posts
    XDA never fails to amaze me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #211
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,883 Posts
    Saw this on reddit, I got it right away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

12. Post #212
    March 2011
    193 Posts
    I feel like I should stand up and clap after watching that video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #213
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,883 Posts
    Oh yeah, so today my Comp Sci Teacher said that the Grade 12 Comp Sci Java course will have Android Development, so like yeah I can make some apps. Exciting indeed.

14. Post #214
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,076 Posts
    Oh yeah, so today my Comp Sci Teacher said that the Grade 12 Comp Sci Java course will have Android Development, so like yeah I can make some apps. Exciting indeed.
    hooray my c++ and mysql classes

I'm gonna write a tablet-optimized c++ development suite for Android though. I use c4droid and it's good and constantly patched but not tablet optimized and it shows
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #215
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,716 Posts
    hooray my c++ and mysql classes

I'm gonna write a tablet-optimized c++ development suite for Android though. I use c4droid and it's good and constantly patched but not tablet optimized and it shows
    Do the C programs from C4droid still run in the DalvikVM of Android or do they run completely separately?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

16. Post #216
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,883 Posts
    My Comp Sci Teacher also said that he will be getting some Samsung Galaxy Tabs for the dev. Of course, we can use our own devices. I can use my mini pro

But by then, I'll get a new phone which would be better for dev and have a Quad Core

17. Post #217
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,076 Posts
    Do the C programs from C4droid still run in the DalvikVM of Android or do they run completely separately?
    I've got no idea, but it runs in the terminal emulator so I think so.

As in, the executables run as processes inside the terminal inside Dalvik. (I think. I have no idea if the terminal emulator actually exposes a true terminal without Dalvik.)

18. Post #218
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,883 Posts
    XDA never fails to amaze me.
    Everyday, there is something awesome on XDA

19. Post #219
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts

what the heck is happening

i didn't use my phone at all during that time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    Usually it's a bug with the current ROM when Android OS starts eating up the battery. Are you on a stock ROM or custom?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #221
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    Usually it's a bug with the current ROM when Android OS starts eating up the battery. Are you on a stock ROM or custom?
    stock ROM, the idea of rooting/installing a custom ROM really doesn't appeal to me TBH

22. Post #222
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,076 Posts
    stock ROM, the idea of rooting/installing a custom ROM really doesn't appeal to me TBH
    Well installing a custom kernel and ROM will basically fix your problem and likely give you better performance.

23. Post #223
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,288 Posts
    I've got no idea, but it runs in the terminal emulator so I think so.

As in, the executables run as processes inside the terminal inside Dalvik. (I think. I have no idea if the terminal emulator actually exposes a true terminal without Dalvik.)
    I really doubt it. The terminal emulator just runs native programs and displays their outputs.

What you're saying is like the windows command prompt emulating x86 along with an entire pc...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #224
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    Well installing a custom kernel and ROM will basically fix your problem and likely give you better performance.
    is it really that wrong for me to say that I'd rather wait for the official Samsung Android 4.0 ICS thingy rom to be released?

i'm looking into whether widgets are the offenders because it seems to be a common problem, I've removed all of them and I'm charging back to 100% before I go to bed, so I can tell whether that's them or not

25. Post #225
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,288 Posts
    is it really that wrong for me to say that I'd rather wait for the official Samsung Android 4.0 ICS thingy rom to be released?

i'm looking into whether widgets are the offenders because it seems to be a common problem, I've removed all of them and I'm charging back to 100% before I go to bed, so I can tell whether that's them or not
    It's not like it's going to explode - just get a custom ROM and never look back.

It won't be widgets, it says Android OS not one of your apps.

26. Post #226
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,076 Posts
    I have a custom rom on my Xoom, it's an alpha of ICS but it's been on constantly since I last flashed it two weeks ago. I use it frequently and don't charge it more than twice a week.

It really makes a difference.

27. Post #227
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,883 Posts

Keep it plugged in, my advice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

28. Post #228
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,469 Posts
    What's a good ROM for transformer prime, I know it's new and all, but I lost like 35 percent of battery life overnight, and I don't really like that. I could just turn it off thou I guess, but saving battery would be nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

29. Post #229
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,288 Posts
    Keep it plugged in, my advice.
    Say goodbye to your battery then.

30. Post #230
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,792 Posts
    Say goodbye to your battery then.
    I've been charging all of my phones overnight and never had a dead battery. Ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

31. Post #231
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,317 Posts
    I've been charging all of my phones overnight and never had a dead battery. Ever.
    not dead, but its capacity will be reduced
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #232
    October 2007
    2,005 Posts
    It's not that significant of an issue with modern batteries though. It will affect it in the long term, but since people get new phones every 2-3 years or even less I doubt it's worth worrying about.

33. Post #233
    That Dog
    March 2009
    13,777 Posts
    It certainly happened to my old Droid 1. It hardly goes an hour now, shame too because it makes a nice remote.

34. Post #234
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,503 Posts
    Just wondering, what would you guys recommend for a new rom? I've been using a nightly of Cyanogen, but I've been having crashes a plenty, so it is time for a wipe.

Agree - MIUI
    Disagree - Stay with Cyanogen (Stable build though)
    Funny - Another nightly build of Cyanogen
    Winner - Other (please state!)

I am using an SGS2 (Of course!) and I really want to use Ninphetamine kernel, because it fixes the sensitivity issues I have with my SGP Glas protector. Is it possible to use this with either MIUI or Cyanogen?

Thanks guys :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #235
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    It is possible - apart from with CM9 I think

36. Post #236
    July 2007
    323 Posts
    What about SiyahKernel? It seems to work with MIUI and CM7 (Not CM9).

37. Post #237
    My HTC Wildfire's display broke. Bought a new one, are they hard to replace?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

38. Post #238
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,503 Posts
    What about SiyahKernel? It seems to work with MIUI and CM7 (Not CM9).
    Heard lots of good about that kernel, but just not sure if it will fix my screen sensitivity when charging, and from what I heard Ninphetamine is the only one that fixes it :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

39. Post #239
    November 2011
    725 Posts
    I just got myself a Droid Razr. My other phone shit itself, and the Razr had a price drop down to $199, so I went for it. It's pretty fucking nice.

40. Post #240
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    My HTC Wildfire's display broke. Bought a new one, are they hard to replace?
    I hope you have surgeon's hands, because disassembling a device put together by thousands of little Chinese hands is not easy to put back together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)