1. Post #2921
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,579 Posts
    There is not going to be a portal gun, the Borealis set sail before the device was created.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

2. Post #2922
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,205 Posts
    I don't want a Portal gun in HL anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34 (list)

3. Post #2923
    August 2011
    461 Posts
    ..Am I the only one who wants to see some of Aperture's mantis men?

Edited:

Am I the only one who thinks that the portal gun won't be referenced at all?

Even so, if it IS reference, I SINCERELY doubt Gordon will get one. Maybe someone will talk about it, maybe some of the old aperture pictures, maybe you'll SEE IT, but it would disrupt the gameplay far too much to GIVE gordon a portal gun. The games are far too different, and the boat itself is as good of a connection as we'll get.
    I can imagine at least seeing some blueprints on display/as an easter egg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10Winner Winner x 2 (list)

4. Post #2924
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    I think everyone's overlooking the fact that the Borealis is a ship and not a testing center.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28 (list)

5. Post #2925
    I don't want to see any crossover from Portal (or Portal 2) into Half Life 3, aside from eastereggs.

Portal seems to fake and impossible to exist in the Half Life universe the way it does in the Portal universe, it really kills the mood. Especially the multiverse crap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Disagree Disagree x 10Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

6. Post #2926
    February 2009
    1,909 Posts
    By the way guys, during the first Portal 2 arg, it was found out, that the events of Portal 2 take place 200 years AFTER the events of Half life 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Zing Zing x 8Agree Agree x 3Late Late x 2 (list)

7. Post #2927
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,176 Posts
    Half-Life 2 Original Story Line...

I would pay 39.99 $ for a polished version of this. Who wouldn't enjoy a dark atmosphere setting?
    If it were presented as an alternate universe in the next installment, that'd be kinda cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #2928
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    1,778 Posts
    By the way guys, during the first Portal 2 arg, it was found out, that the events of Portal 2 take place 200 years AFTER the events of Half life 2.
    Could you show us the source? I do not remember Portal 2s events ever being specified...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #2929
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,594 Posts
    I don't want to see any crossover from Portal (or Portal 2) into Half Life 3, aside from eastereggs.

Portal seems to fake and impossible to exist in the Half Life universe the way it does in the Portal universe, it really kills the mood. Especially the multiverse crap.
    It all actually fits. I think Aperture is SET in the multiverse, other than the Half Life one, and that's what the Combine wants.

The Borealis might actually have been the first object they tried to send to another multiverse with research purposes, or stuff.

That's why the Combine don't go searching for the actual testing center.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

10. Post #2930
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,301 Posts

Even though you don't like it, it's canon and it happened in the Half-life Universe. You not liking it doesn't change that. Besides, there's already a crossover - the fact that Aperture has been seen in both games with some of their technology present in both. You can't expect a plot involving Aperture Science to not contain anything we know about Aperture Science. It is unlikely we will go to the Enrichment centre or see GLaDOS or anything like that though.

There is not going to be a portal gun, the Borealis set sail before the device was created.
    They did have a version of the Portal device at the time though, the aperture Science Portable Quantum Tunneling Device seen on one of the signs in the enrichment spheres.

Even though it is more likely to be an older version of Aperture on the Borealis i'd much prefer it to be the modern Aperture as they seem much more serious than in the past.

I think everyone's overlooking the fact that the Borealis is a ship and not a testing center.
    It is a ship but we don't know it's actual purpose. We know it was some sort of Research Vessel so it could have had pretty much anything onboard.

I hope it doesn't have anything to do with Portal technology and is something new, it just being Portal technology would be a little boring as that's what everyone expects. It probably does have some teleporation capabilities (unless something else caused it to disappear) but i don't want to see that was the main thing everyone is after.

Several things during the first ARG were changed as Valve hadn't finalized the story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #2931
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    Even though you don't like it, it's canon and it happened in the Half-life Universe. You not liking it doesn't change that. Besides, there's already a crossover - the fact that Aperture has been seen in both games with some of their technology present in both. You can't expect a plot involving Aperture Science to not contain anything we know about Aperture Science.
    That wasn't what he said, though, he said it doesn't fit the main canon of Half-Life, which is a realistically grounded story with actual scientific elements and explanations, drawing from various sci-fi influences such as Frank Herbert and Stephen King. Portal 2 is comedy with science as one of its themes. It works best in and of it itself. And until Marc Laidlaw confirms that it's all canon I have my doubts.

Even though it is more likely to be an older version of Aperture on the Borealis i'd much prefer it to be the modern Aperture as they seem much more serious than in the past.

I hope it doesn't have anything to do with Portal technology and is something new, it just being Portal technology would be a little boring as that's what everyone expects. It probably does have some teleporation capabilities (unless something else caused it to disappear) but i don't want to see that was the main thing everyone is after.
    I really don't think it will be an older version. Aperture's signature look is the white, minimalistic look with smooth curves and that jazz. There was nothing remarkable about 70'ies Aperture and people won't connect that with them as much.

And although it probably is some sort of teleportation device, it would be really awesome if it was actually a time machine, in the sense that it is a slow teleport, like in Half-Life 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #2932
    February 2009
    1,909 Posts
    One thing is for sure;

IT MUST BE DESTROYED
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 23Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #2933
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    but we can use it against the combine!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 24Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #2934
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,301 Posts
    That wasn't what he said, though, he said it doesn't fit the main canon of Half-Life, which is a realistically grounded story with actual scientific elements and explanations, drawing from various sci-fi influences such as Frank Herbert and Stephen King. Portal 2 is comedy with science as one of its themes. It works best in and of it itself. And until Marc Laidlaw confirms that it's all canon I have my doubts.

I really don't think it will be an older version. Aperture's signature look is the white, minimalistic look with smooth curves and that jazz. There was nothing remarkable about 70'ies Aperture and people won't connect that with them as much.

And although it probably is some sort of teleportation device, it would be really awesome if it was actually a time machine, in the sense that it is a slow teleport, like in Half-Life 2.
    No one should have to confirm it as canon. If Valve didn't think it fit then they wouldn't of used it in the story. It's mostly the characters that make Portal 2 a comedy though, and those won't be appearing in Episode 3. There would be some actual scientific explanations for why Apertures stuff works but because of them being slightly-insane we only hear about the crazy parts.

What specific things from Portal 2 do you not want to see as Canon?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #2935
    I do not want, and do not CONSIDER the multiverse stuff to be cannon, same with the idea that they had portal tech LONG before black mesa. (in the old test-spheres)

Other than that I can see it all being cannon / existing in the same universe, but I don't want to see anything in actual story that ties directly into portal / portal 2 (I.E going to the testing facility, or using the portal gun)

And really, as somebody ( in this thread) has said before, it seems a lot of people can't take cannon critically, just because aperture exists in both universes does not mean that what happened in Portal's universe, happened in the Half-Life universe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #2936
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,301 Posts
    I do not want, and do not CONSIDER the multiverse stuff to be cannon, same with the idea that they had portal tech LONG before black mesa. (in the old test-spheres)

Other than that I can see it all being cannon / existing in the same universe, but I don't want to see anything in actual story that ties directly into portal / portal 2 (I.E going to the testing facility, or using the portal gun)

And really, as somebody ( in this thread) has said before, it seems a lot of people can't take cannon critically, just because aperture exists in both universes does not mean that what happened in Portal's universe, happened in the Half-Life universe.
    I can see why a few people have problems but Valve tends not to make things for it to be non-canon, and then not state they are non-canon. Nothing suggests what happened in the Portal universe did not happen in the Half-life Universe. If you act like everything needs to be fully confirmed to be considered canon then you are left with nothing at all about Aperture other than what Kleiner and the pictures show in EP2. Valve isn't like that.

I don't see anything wrong with the idea of having a version of the Portal gun long before Black Mesa, it just means that part has been retconned from how it was originally.

What are the problems with the multiverse? It does seem a little far-fetched even for Aperture but it is possible they actually did gain access to it and attempt to steal from themselves, although it seems more likely it is just an explanation for all the new content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

17. Post #2937
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,579 Posts
    Here's my 2 cents.
    The Borealis was teleported right out of the dry dock to an unknown location    as hinted at by the door near the easter egg.   
    The Borealis either contains some traces of teleportation technology or previous Aperture technology such as the emancipation grill. If it's not teleportation technology then maybe we can use it against the combine by jury-rigging some sort of disintegration weapon.
    Obviously the combine want their hands on it because of the possible implementations of teleportation technology;    seeing as their only way home was destroyed.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #2938
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,474 Posts
    I'd have no problem with the multiverse being canon in the HL continuity.

Time travel is overdone and cliche in sci-fi but parallel universes and alternate timelines seem like a nice way to expand Half-Life in future installments.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

19. Post #2939
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,301 Posts
    Here's my 2 cents.
    The Borealis was teleported right out of the dry dock to an unknown location    as hinted at by the door near the easter egg.   
    The Borealis either contains some traces of teleportation technology or previous Aperture technology such as the emancipation grill. If it's not teleportation technology then maybe we can use it against the combine by jury-rigging some sort of disintegration weapon.
    Obviously the combine want their hands on it because of the possible implementations of teleportation technology;    seeing as their only way home was destroyed.   
    This is what everyone thinks the Borealis will be. It has been said by Kleiner in Episode 2 that the Borealis disappeared and took part of it's dry dock with it, so we know that happened. This also suggests that either the Borealis contains some sort of Portal technology, or that Portal technology was used on it.

We know Valve planned it to have emancipation grids and unstationary scaffolds on-board, but until we get Episode 3 we don't know if that has been changed or not because of Portal 2. It seems like Eli and Kleiner had no idea what was actually on it, just that whatever it was must be powerful and could potentially caused another Black Mesa Incident.

I think it just having Portal technology would be too obvious, and a little boring really. I want see something new and unexpected on the Borealis.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #2940
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    No one should have to confirm it as canon. If Valve didn't think it fit then they wouldn't of used it in the story. It's mostly the characters that make Portal 2 a comedy though, and those won't be appearing in Episode 3. There would be some actual scientific explanations for why Apertures stuff works but because of them being slightly-insane we only hear about the crazy parts.

Anything that's too implausible, really. Especially the whole technology thing. In Half-Life we saw that it required an insane amount of energy and equipment to open a portal and keep it open, and Black Mesa had only had only acquired that technology recently and was still experimenting like crazy with it.

In the original timeline, Aperture had also been working on Portal technology in the same time frame as Black Mesa, but they had to fit it on a giant boat, and then some time after the Black Mesa incident GlaDOS finished designing the ASPHD.

In Portal 2 they did it in the 40ies, no explanation offered, and Portal gets away with it because it's comedy and it doesn't matter. Which is also why they can have the multiverse, mantis men, potato-powered AI (as opposed to the nuclear reactor it required to power GlaDOS in Portal 1). I don't have a problem with this per se, but when it all supposedly took place in the same canon where everything previously had a sense of plausibility, I refuse to believe that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #2941
    October 2007
    1,242 Posts
    Are people really taking this multiverse crap seriously? It's just an excuse for the different chambers made with the editor. It'll not take part int the plot of HL3/EP3. May the day Valve decided to reference HL in Portal and vice versa be damned. They 'd work as completely separate game universes perfectly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 24Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #2942
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,579 Posts
    This is what everyone thinks the Borealis will be. It has been said by Kleiner in Episode 2 that the Borealis disappeared and took part of it's dry dock with it, so we know that happened. This also suggests that either the Borealis contains some sort of Portal technology, or that Portal technology was used on it.

We know Valve planned it to have emancipation grids and unstationary scaffolds on-board, but until we get Episode 3 we don't know if that has been changed or not because of Portal 2. It seems like Eli and Kleiner had no idea what was actually on it, just that whatever it was must be powerful and could potentially caused another Black Mesa Incident.

I think it just having Portal technology would be too obvious, and a little boring really. I want see something new and unexpected on the Borealis.
    Anything that's too implausible, really. Especially the whole technology thing. In Half-Life we saw that it required an insane amount of energy and equipment to open a portal and keep it open, and Black Mesa had only had only acquired that technology recently and was still experimenting like crazy with it.

In the original timeline, Aperture had also been working on Portal technology in the same time frame as Black Mesa, but they had to fit it on a giant boat, and then some time after the Black Mesa incident GlaDOS finished designing the ASPHD.

In Portal 2 they did it in the 40ies, no explanation offered, and Portal gets away with it because it's comedy and it doesn't matter. Which is also why they can have the multiverse, mantis men, potato-powered AI (as opposed to the nuclear reactor it required to power GlaDOS in Portal 1). I don't have a problem with this per se, but when it all supposedly took place in the same canon where everything previously had a sense of plausibility, I refuse to believe that.
    This might be why they are having such an issue with the story of "Richochet 2".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #2943
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,301 Posts

Black Mesa's portal technology and Aperture Science's were completely different forms. Black Mesa was trying to teleport things over long distances and Aperture was just developing something smaller and without the actual teleportation. The Portal gun uses Blackholes and there are safety risks, Black Mesa would not have been willing to approach it in the same way.

The original timeline was before they thought of expanding upon Aperture, they didn't think Portal would be so successful. You would probably of been fine with it if Portal 2 was how it was all along, and that is what a retcon means.

The Quantum tunneling device was from the 50s, not the 40s. The Multiverse is plausable, but i don't think Aperture stealing from themselves is very likely. I don't see why you have so much as a problem with Mantis-men, they are in no one comedic - they are quite dark and horrific when you think about it. They would of been people but Cave saying to pick up a rifle and just start shooting them suggests something went terribly wrong (or that it actually worked).

The potato wasn't powering the same thing the generator was in Portal 1 though, it is just the AI part as opposed to requiring power for a full chassis with connections to the entire facility. The Generator is still there in portal 2, at least parts of it are. The Potato also didn't provide quite enough power. I do think that it seems a little far aswell though, some extra explanation would of been nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

24. Post #2944
    January 2012
    689 Posts
    In my opinion, HL and Portal are in the same universe. Yes, Aperture did develop portal technology before Black Mesa. Also, I don't see anything too implausible with the Portal 2 story. It's just a partially insane rich scientist that runs all sorts of crazy experiments, which is totally plausible in the HL universe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #2945
    Black Mesa's portal technology and Aperture Science's were completely different forms. Black Mesa was trying to teleport things over long distances and Aperture was just developing something smaller and without the actual teleportation. The Portal gun uses Blackholes and there are safety risks, Black Mesa would not have been willing to approach it in the same way.

The original timeline was before they thought of expanding upon Aperture, they didn't think Portal would be so successful. You would probably of been fine with it if Portal 2 was how it was all along, and that is what a retcon means.

The Quantum tunneling device was from the 50s, not the 40s. The Multiverse is plausable, but i don't think Aperture stealing from themselves is very likely. I don't see why you have so much as a problem with Mantis-men, they are in no one comedic - they are quite dark and horrific when you think about it. They would of been people but Cave saying to pick up a rifle and just start shooting them suggests something went terribly wrong (or that it actually worked).

The potato wasn't powering the same thing the generator was in Portal 1 though, it is just the AI part as opposed to requiring power for a full chassis with connections to the entire facility. The Generator is still there in portal 2, at least parts of it are. The Potato also didn't provide quite enough power. I do think that it seems a little far aswell though, some extra explanation would of been nice.
    The half-life universe is supposed to be realistic, or at-least as realistic as possible with simple teleportation; and if you are going to take everything VALVe has done as cannon, then in the portal 2 aperture videos, cave Johnson must still be alive to narrate them, and chell has died (she fell, remember?) and that the ASHPD uses a black hole, dye, and a German grenade.

And that the turrets really fire bullets, shell and explosive included.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #2946
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    And the animal king, fat turret etc.

Plus Portal and Black Mesa both worked on portals, there are entire segments in the original Half-Life where you go in and out of portals. The teleportation in Half-Life 2 is different, and Nihilanth also uses some other form of instantaneous teleportation, but Black Mesa definitely has good ol' portals. And whether it was the 50'ies or 40'ies that Aperture got them is the same thing in my eyes.

Edited:

Black Mesa just stumbled over Xen in the process.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #2947
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,301 Posts
    The half-life universe is supposed to be realistic, or at-least as realistic as possible with simple teleportation; and if you are going to take everything VALVe has done as cannon, then in the portal 2 aperture videos, cave Johnson must still be alive to narrate them, and chell has died (she fell, remember?) and that the ASHPD uses a black hole, dye, and a German grenade.

And that the turrets really fire bullets, shell and explosive included.
    It is possible for those Videos to be canon. First off, it was not chell who fell. It is possible those videos were made in the early 80s when Cave was still Alive, as Aperture had the things shown in the videos at the time. The in-game elevator videos also shows that some of the content in the videos are correct. I see nothing wrong with how the Portal device was shown - Something has to colour the Portals so there is nothing wrong with the dye. Aperture was crazy enough to do something like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #2948
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,191 Posts
    Maybe when you're inside the Borealis, exploring or some shit, the Combine show up and start fighting you while dropships pick up the whole fucking ship and attempt to fly away with it, so you have a mid-air battle with the Combine.

I think that'd be pretty cool, it could sway and shake a lot so as to worry the player, and chunks of the ship could be missing, revealing the huge fall to the ground (to give a similar atmosphere to HL2's bridge level)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 16Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #2949
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,474 Posts
    Though the chances of it happening are none because Aperture's tech isn't Xenium-based, I would love for the Borealis to get teleported onto a Xenian island. Sans the infuriating jumping puzzles of course, but still with the same awesome alien biotech atmosphere.

Aside from forementioned puzzles, Xen is hands down my favorite location in the HL series.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #2950
    Random guy
    March 2009
    1,948 Posts
    Half-Life 2 Original Story Line...

I would pay 39.99 $ for a polished version of this. Who wouldn't enjoy a dark atmosphere setting?
    You do know that the combine overwiki has moved away from WIKIA right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #2951
    November 2008
    1,116 Posts
    I just thought of this, and maybe it's been brought up before, but what ever happened to all the other Combine-controlled cities on the planet? What happened to the possible resistance movements in other cities who didn't have the trump card of Gordon Freeman on their side? Were they able to overthrow the forces in their respective cities, or was City 17 the only major victory for the Resistance?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

32. Post #2952
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    I just thought of this, and maybe it's been brought up before, but what ever happened to all the other Combine-controlled cities on the planet? What happened to the possible resistance movements in other cities who didn't have the trump card of Gordon Freeman on their side? Were they able to overthrow the forces in their respective cities, or was City 17 the only major victory for the Resistance?
    The only confirmed victory. The rest is speculation.

Edited:

I do think however that City 17 was the centralized command center, and that the rest of the Overwatch forces are pretty much on their own without Breen or the advisors to lead them.

33. Post #2953
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,474 Posts
    When the Dark Energy Reactor was blown during HL2's endgame, it caused a chain reaction that inflicted massive damage to the network of linked reactors in Citadels worldwide, according to one of the Kleinercasts.

Thusly, these Citadels too became unable to port over reinforcements, and resistance forces in these cities could more easily fight back, I imagine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #2954
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,650 Posts
    I personally think if we go to the Borealis we are going to find something interesting, but some things from Portal are not going to be there because the Borealis teleported from Aperture Science a long time ago, and also because some things from the Portal universe wouldn't fit the Half-Life universe (GLaDOS, portal gun etc). I would expect a few easter eggs but nothing that wouldn't fit the game.

Episode 3/Half-Life 3 really has to round off this story arc and I would be disappointed if I finished the game and the Combine were still at large on Earth. Whatever is on the Borealis has to be important and powerful because the Combine wouldn't be interested in it if it wasn't. Eli said it had to be destroyed but I wouldn't be surprised if we use whatever is on the ship to destroy the Combine, or at least force the remaining army to surrender.

There's also the possibility Valve introduce some new Combine units (either through the teleportation capabilities of the Borealis or something the Combine kept hidden for when they really need it). The strangest we have seen are probably the advisors, but the Combine are supposed to be made up of lots of species across lots of worlds and if there's something on Earth they really need then they may well fight for it. Valve are creative enough to give us something new and interesting.

Also the Gman needs to fit in to it somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #2955
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,301 Posts
    I personally think if we go to the Borealis we are going to find something interesting, but some things from Portal are not going to be there because the Borealis teleported from Aperture Science a long time ago, and also because some things from the Portal universe wouldn't fit the Half-Life universe (GLaDOS, portal gun etc).
    While they would be out of place in a Half-life game, they actually are part of the Half-life universe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

36. Post #2956
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,777 Posts
    The only confirmed victory. The rest is speculation.

Edited:

I do think however that City 17 was the centralized command center, and that the rest of the Overwatch forces are pretty much on their own without Breen or the advisors to lead them.
    I'd imagine there's at least one advisor in every city to help govern them, the Overwatch is almost entirely made up of synths that are created for their brawn and not their brain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

37. Post #2957
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,650 Posts
    While they would be out of place in a Half-life game, they actually are part of the Half-life universe.
    I know they are, but there are some things I wouldn't want crossing over because I don't want a Half-Life game that feels like Portal. For example, if we went to the Borealis and GLaDOS was there it would just be weird and out of place.

38. Post #2958
    August 2011
    499 Posts
    Is Black Mesa a research facility from the government (as what people think of Area 51, or like NASA) or just a company like Aperture?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #2959
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,427 Posts
    In Half-Life it was supposed to be government owned (the Great Seal of the United States can be seen a few places) but it was later changed to a private company competing with Aperture for funding by the Department of Defense. Or it is somehow both.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

40. Post #2960
    January 2009
    751 Posts
    Is Black Mesa a research facility from the government (as what people think of Area 51, or like NASA) or just a company like Aperture?
    Private company but helmed by the United States government.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)