1. Post #4081
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,141 Posts
    Minecraft on the Xbox is optimised to work on a specific hardware target, which is something you can't do on PCs.

Never mind that people get wildly different results on PCs, my old PC could play Minecraft fine, yet people with higher speced machines complained about lag.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

2. Post #4082
    November 2007
    506 Posts
    If anyone wants to play minecraft on the 360, add me, commongnome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #4083
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,817 Posts
    Well it has to be optimized to appeal to console players who rarely experience fps lag and also console minecraft is probably in C++ or a similar language. Im sure PC minecraft will get there eventually.
    Consoles get a lot of FPS lag actually, I'm a stickler for lost FPS and I see it all the time on my and my friends' consoles. PC Minecraft has never been well optimized in any of its versions so it's not looking good for the future.

Edited:

Minecraft on the Xbox is optimised to work on a specific hardware target, which is something you can't do on PCs.

Never mind that people get wildly different results on PCs, my old PC could play Minecraft fine, yet people with higher speced machines complained about lag.
    You can do it on PCs, you just have to do it for more hardware and it's harder. That also doesn't apply to the online play. Again, LAN games lag for fucks sake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

4. Post #4084
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    4,788 Posts
    I have a question not really minecraft related, but it is part of buying it, if I get 2000 points on my moms account (we have family gold membership), and buy the game on hers to save time, can I still play the game on my main account?
    I have money today, and I want to make sure that this will work, I can still buy it either way, but still would like to know.

5. Post #4085
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    4,796 Posts
    New snapshot tomorrow, oh boy.

What do you guys think we'll get other than renewable coco beans if anything?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

6. Post #4086
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,683 Posts
    I have money today, and I want to make sure that this will work, I can still buy it either way, but still would like to know.
    If the game is saved onto your hard drive you should be able to play it on all accounts, its a E game also so their isn't any age limits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #4087
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,290 Posts
    Consoles get a lot of FPS lag actually, I'm a stickler for lost FPS and I see it all the time on my and my friends' consoles. PC Minecraft has never been well optimized in any of its versions so it's not looking good for the future.

Edited:

You can do it on PCs, you just have to do it for more hardware and it's harder. That also doesn't apply to the online play. Again, LAN games lag for fucks sake.
    You don't necessarily have to make it run on tons of hardware, that's what OpenGL/OpenAL is for, to serve as a standard. The only non-constant is performance levels and RAM amounts, which given how Minecraft runs on alot of higher-end PCs with more/faster cores and RAM than the X-Box I think it's safe to say that Minecraft itself is just horribly optimized (I mean the core of it was whipped up very quickly by a guy who has a knack for throwing shit together to the point that it simply works, not necessarily well though) and coded in a language that's not necessarily the best for games.
    Minecraft for the X-Box had to be re-written from the ground-up, which meant better optimization at its core all around, AND it was coded in a more game-friendly language to boot.

8. Post #4088
    Dennab
    December 2011
    270 Posts
    So excited.. Got Minecraft this morning on the Xbawx. Just waiting for my buddy to buy it as well, then we'll be ready to go. If anyone wants to, add me on their live.

GT: VancouverNucks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

9. Post #4089
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,482 Posts
    You don't necessarily have to make it run on tons of hardware, that's what OpenGL/OpenAL is for, to serve as a standard. The only non-constant is performance levels and RAM amounts, which given how Minecraft runs on alot of higher-end PCs with more/faster cores and RAM than the X-Box I think it's safe to say that Minecraft itself is just horribly optimized (I mean the core of it was whipped up very quickly by a guy who has a knack for throwing shit together to the point that it simply works, not necessarily well though) and coded in a language that's not necessarily the best for games.
    Minecraft for the X-Box had to be re-written from the ground-up, which meant better optimization at its core all around, AND it was coded in a more game-friendly language to boot.
    Well, the map on the 360 is limited, so it doesn't have to load much anyway, which is why the PC version is so slow sometimes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #4090
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,290 Posts
    Well, the map on the 360 is limited, so it doesn't have to load much anyway, which is why the PC version is so slow sometimes.
    Is the ENTIRE map loaded at all times on the X-Box?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #4091
    November 2010
    864 Posts
    Is the ENTIRE map loaded at all times on the X-Box?
    It would make sense as to it being limited.

12. Post #4092
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,302 Posts
    The Xbox 360, a 7 year old $300 piece of hardware can play minecraft smoothly splitscreen. Playing online doesn't lag at all.

My PC, a 5 year old $2,000 piece of hardware can't run it smoothly with just one player. Playing on LAN lags.

"What is optimization?" - PC Minecraft team

The Xbox version is coded in C++ I believe. PC MC is coded in heavily unoptimized, laggy java. (wasn't really the best language choice for this type of game). Of course even with java there's a lot of room for optimization.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #4093
    May 2009
    828 Posts
    And now we wait for 2b2t: xbox edition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

14. Post #4094
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts

My Xbox world :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

15. Post #4095
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    313 Posts
    And now we wait for 2b2t: xbox edition.
    It will be intense with the 8 player cap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

16. Post #4096
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    4,788 Posts
    If the game is saved onto your hard drive you should be able to play it on all accounts, its a E game also so their isn't any age limits.
    I see, thanks, also it turns out I do not have money today, fuck, so going to buy it on Monday.

17. Post #4097
    March 2008
    3,187 Posts
    how much is the xbox version?

18. Post #4098
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    398 Posts
    The thing I like about xbox version is people most likely wont be able to cheat with x ray and that shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

19. Post #4099
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,023 Posts
    That's no different from the PC. Only a certain amount of chunks are loaded at a time. The only difference is the 360 version's map size limit saves on HDD space, since any larger and it'd quickly consume all of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #4100
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,141 Posts
    how much is the xbox version?
    $26.40 (Assuming 500 MS points is $8.25)

21. Post #4101
    March 2008
    3,187 Posts
    The thing I like about xbox version is people most likely wont be able to cheat with x ray and that shit.
    you wouldn't be able to xray if mutliplayer was done right from the start. e.g. not steaming in blocks and players that you can't see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #4102
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,482 Posts
    That's no different from the PC. Only a certain amount of chunks are loaded at a time. The only difference is the 360 version's map size limit saves on HDD space, since any larger and it'd quickly consume all of it.
    Not when there is a lot less going on and the view distance is locked to normal. If I made a limited world and put mine to normal it'd run the same as on the 360.

23. Post #4103
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,023 Posts
    Not when there is a lot less going on and the view distance is locked to normal. If I made a limited world and put mine to normal it'd run the same as on the 360.
    Define "a lot less going on". It may be based on an older version, but there's still the same things taking up CPU time like on the PC version. Only conceivable area it'll be slightly faster in is map generation, as beta 1.6.6 didn't have the adventure update stuff.
    And no, it wouldn't run the same with just normal view distance on. It's coded in an entirely different language for a very specific, unchanging set of hardware.

Edited:

It also was ported by a completely different studio, i'll add.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

24. Post #4104
    January 2009
    3,880 Posts
    you wouldn't be able to xray if mutliplayer was done right from the start. e.g. not steaming in blocks and players that you can't see.
    Redstone and farming would pretty much not function in any useful capacity if you only loaded what you saw

25. Post #4105
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,023 Posts
    Redstone and farming would pretty much not function in any useful capacity if you only loaded what you saw
    Doesn't matter for MP if the client can't see those; it's the server's job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #4106
    I have a 1 inch cock erect but girls cum all over me
    April 2009
    725 Posts
    Minecraft PC version really needs to cut down the lag there is on Multiplayer. It's one of the things that drives me crazy when I see jumpy mobs and always get caught in creeper explosions when it was about 10 blocks away from me, etc.
    Minecraft XBox version's multiplayer is really nice to play with friends I've got to say. Multiplayer is nearly lag free for me :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Korea, Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #4107
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,310 Posts
    This week's snapshot is out!

Added cocoa plants to jungles
    Added a “large biomes” world type
    Added specific names for the different sandstone and smooth stone blocks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

28. Post #4108
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    7,856 Posts
    I really wish Jeb would add real furniture and other cosmetic things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 15Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #4109
    I <3 OTTERS~
    Dennab
    July 2011
    9,935 Posts
    Minecraft PC version really needs to cut down the lag there is on Multiplayer. It's one of the things that drives me crazy when I see jumpy mobs and always get caught in creeper explosions when it was about 10 blocks away from me, etc.
    Minecraft XBox version's multiplayer is really nice to play with friends I've got to say. Multiplayer is nearly lag free for me :)
    That kind of lag is often because the server is hosted in countries further away, if you played with friends living in those countries as the servers being hosted on PC it'd be the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

30. Post #4110
    I can buy a title to replace to the one someone bought me
    December 2007
    4,068 Posts
    Cocoa plants have 3 stages of growth, the last stage drops 3 cocoa beans when broken. Cocoa can be farmed manually by placing them on jungle wood blocks. The cocoa beans also have new textures.
    Also, you no longer spawn with stuff in Creative. That's a relief. I was getting tired of clearing out my hotbar all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 4Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #4111
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,498 Posts
    So I'm playing Minecraft singleplayer for like the 2nd time ever, and I see a nametag. I freak the fuck out, press Esc to quit the game, but realize it's just dust on my monitor. Okay, cool. I tell it to a friend of mine, he says "Herobrine!!" and I get out of my house. I turn around and see this.

fuck this game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #4112
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,023 Posts
    Anyone know a quick and easy tool or mod with which I can see ore distributions in a world? I want to check if ExtraBiomesXL and CustomOreGen are conflicting or otherwise acting weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

33. Post #4113
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,516 Posts
    I just wish my Minecraft would stop freezing. I have to exit the game every 15 minutes because it keeps freezing up all the damn time,.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

34. Post #4114
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts
    I just wish my Minecraft would stop freezing. I have to exit the game every 15 minutes because it keeps freezing up all the damn time,.
    Specs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

35. Post #4115
    May 2011
    1,572 Posts
    I'm considering making a thread where we can organize games with Xbox Live, but I've never made a thread before and barely dare to do so
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #4116
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,527 Posts
    So I'm playing Minecraft singleplayer for like the 2nd time ever, and I see a nametag. I freak the fuck out, press Esc to quit the game, but realize it's just dust on my monitor. Okay, cool. I tell it to a friend of mine, he says "Herobrine!!" and I get out of my house. I turn around and see this.

fuck this game
    What am I looking at here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

37. Post #4117
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    Snowy landscape

He expected hotter weather from Notch's vacations
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

38. Post #4118
    I love Scandinavians and Ducks
    August 2007
    4,172 Posts
    There is some black thing staring at him in the distance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

39. Post #4119
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    17,804 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

40. Post #4120
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,498 Posts
    There is some black thing staring at him in the distance.
    yes, right at the middle, that's a tree, i saw a player/eyes when i turned around quickly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)