1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,235 Posts
    No problem. Feel free to add me on Steam if you've got questions or want help or whatever. I've got a basic grasp of Blender.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

2. Post #162
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,645 Posts
    remodelled the rear. Rough draft modelled those white things that are always on the tapered parts. They will probably end up being RCS fuel tanks. Also added some pieces to the kvant2 Class 1 meter body section.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

3. Post #163
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,989 Posts
    Much better now:

Now to do the rest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #164
    April 2010
    1,634 Posts
    I'm having a problem with the parts I'm making. I have the body of the shuttle, and the fuel tank below it. The faces are flat and are shaped exactly the same, but when I try to edit the config file so that the two are flush together, the part turns red and won't attach. When I move the stacking node even slightly there's a very visible gap. This didn't happen with the capsule/body connection. What should I do?

Oh wait, fixed it.

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,989 Posts
    The collision meshes might be colliding slightly.

6. Post #166
    April 2010
    1,634 Posts
    Okay, so I solved the collision problem, but now the modeling software hates me. Or specifically, it hates my engine, which is odd, because it's probably the simplest of the things I've tried to model tonight. Sketchup exports it as several different meshes, and Blender combines them into one object, but KSP wont work with any object that's comprised of multiple meshes.

Anyway, I'm pretty pissed off now. I have no idea what to do about that, and I'm not going to hand this over to someone else to fix. So I'll work on it tomorrow or maybe later and figure it out whenever.

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,645 Posts
    Okay, so I solved the collision problem, but now the modeling software hates me. Or specifically, it hates my engine, which is odd, because it's probably the simplest of the things I've tried to model tonight. Sketchup exports it as several different meshes, and Blender combines them into one object, but KSP wont work with any object that's comprised of multiple meshes.

Anyway, I'm pretty pissed off now. I have no idea what to do about that, and I'm not going to hand this over to someone else to fix. So I'll work on it tomorrow or maybe later and figure it out whenever.
    lol oh :/ you could do it in Gmax. but yeah I told you sketchup exports like shit. it seriously takes a nice model and eats it and then diahrrea shits it all over the floor.

you should get to steam more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #168
    Fuck Bitches, Get Scritches
    April 2005
    1,323 Posts
    Nova seems to have smartened up.

Also, the 'Hope' Shuttle is released. Works and flies better than the AUSPLANE, but doesn't look as cool. (Textures are pretty... minimum).

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #169
    January 2010
    9,600 Posts
    A link to the thread/download would be nice.

Edited:

oh I found it
    http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...p?topic=4437.0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    1,153 Posts
    Added custom sounds~~~~~~
    I want to give everything on this spacecraft a custom sound.
    Edited:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 11Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #171
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    You could also ask Nova for some sounds, he's got a couple.

And are those parachute effects from the MSL simulation?

Edited:

MC3craze posted:
    NovaSilisko posted:
    Eventually, I want to make tiny SRBs and an ET for the Vanguard...
    Is it going to use the main engines of the Vanguard? Because if it does, you should add orbital maneuvering thrusters for deorbiting. Or just give it a little bit of internal fuel.

Oh and are you sure you're not going to put in a payload bay? You know, with the doors being decouplers? I know on reentry it'd be a little silly looking, but this is KSP. :P (If you do add a payload bay, size the Vanguard up to fit a small Probodobodyne satellite.)

12. Post #172
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    protoprobodobodyne
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,491 Posts
    protoprobodobodyne
    Inb4 "Protoprobodoboprotoproductionprobodyne Pro (Proper)"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #174
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    protoprobodobodyne
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

15. Post #175
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    protoprobodobodyne
    It was a reference to a joke somewhere in the very beginning of persistence development. after Harv said something about using a system where proto gets added into a part's name,someone jokingly said protoprobodobodyneexperimentrack
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

16. Post #176
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    1,153 Posts
    You could also ask Nova for some sounds, he's got a couple.

And are those parachute effects from the MSL simulation?

Edited:
    I'm sorted for sounds.
    Yes, yes they are. Well remembered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #177
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts

And stop fucking rating me informative damnit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 24 (list)

18. Post #178
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,097 Posts
    No AA, hnnnngggg
    late reply w/e I had to stay at work overnight unexpectedly but I have AA on it's just KSP doesn't seem to even display it

19. Post #179
    April 2010
    1,634 Posts
    I had to start over on the MKK from scratch because I apparently need to model it so that the wings are aligned to the X axis of the body. Now I'm getting really frustrated. I created some new models, and started by importing the body and the right wing into KSP. This worked perfectly.

Then I had an idea, and imported the finished body back into Blender, and I realized that I hadn't positioned it correctly before exporting. I repositioned it, and exported, and the file no longer loaded into KSP. I figured, "whelp, I messed it up" so I went and created a new file, importing the same .dae from sketchup, going through the same exact steps as the first one (there aren't many) and exported it again, this time positioned correctly.

The file still won't load in KSP. What the fuck is going on?

20. Post #180
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    q
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 8 (list)

21. Post #181
    July 2010
    622 Posts

And stop fucking rating me informative damnit.
    Hmm... so, I get the rating I say I DON'T want, huh?

Don't rate me funny!

EDIT:

Yeah that didn't go to plan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    Hmm... so, I get the rating I say I DON'T want, huh?

Don't rate me funny!
    Okay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #183
    January 2010
    9,600 Posts
    I love this "plane"

It flies so easy and can land vertically.

24. Post #184
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    I'd like to see you try that one once airfoils are properly simulated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 6Zing Zing x 2 (list)

25. Post #185
    April 2010
    1,634 Posts
    Fixed it. For some reason the collision mesh was broken so I had to redo it. Once that was through I imported the left wing, got the connections working properly and now it flies like a proper space plane. Now I'm going to need to import the other parts.

26. Post #186
    January 2010
    9,600 Posts
    I'd like to see you try that one once airfoils are properly simulated.
    For now this plane works, so I'm happy

here's it landed

and here is the escape module
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #187
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I love this "plane"

It flies so easy and can land vertically.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_Lerche
    ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

28. Post #188
    January 2010
    9,600 Posts
    Wasn't there another version (maybe american) with jet engines? It looks much more like that.

29. Post #189
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    German, actually.
    Everyone knows Germans make great stuff.

Edited:

The Story of KSP 0.3
    The Story of KSP continues now on version 0.3:
    As I mentioned before, after the last update, we were seriously feeling the need to see what was going on with the ship while it was flying, so that was the main goal we set for ourselves on the 0.3 update.

This update then not only added a new UI to the game, but it also added a few sounds (which these screenshots canít convey very well), some improvements to the spacecraft construction part (we canít really call it the VAB at this point), and that big screen on the background you see there. It would display short messages while you were building, and also show you a countdown when it was time to launch (nothing kept you from ignoring it completely though).
    The screen was pretty buggy, but back then everything we did was done with the very liberating, but also quite lazy assumption that it was Ďplaceholderí and didnít need to work properly just then. That meant everything was left pretty much half-done. Eventually, the screen was removed when code overhauls made it completely incompatible with the current version, and we had grown tired of its little jokes.

But at this point, we were starting to see the very beginnings of something that would eventually be a game taking shape. It was already possible to put a ship into orbit, and the new game UI was being pretty helpful, even though it was mostly incomplete. The fuel and temperature gauges were Ďgenericí, and only displayed an average of the temperature and fuel levels, so you didnít know what was running out of fuel, or what was about to explode. The RCS gauge there was left unused, and the three screens at the top were reserved for the so-far uninvented Kerbals.
    Another thing that was removed on this version was the placeholder moon we had added on 0.2. At this point, we started wanting to get the game in a more presentable state, so we started doing away with the ugliest hacks, and even added an instructions screen that popped up when launching:

The controls were quite simple back then. Not many things to keep in mind, and the game was still 2D, so you could only lose control to the left or to the right.
    But our main concern after all this, was that the Kerbal planet (it didnít have a name back then) was still just a big sphere, and even though the terrain around the launchpad was looking better, it was very much a fake, and it ended a short flightís distance away.

It was time then, to start thinking about how to properly create a planet-sized planet. And thatís what we set out to do on the next update.
    Cheers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

30. Post #190
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,097 Posts
    dat flight hud
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

31. Post #191
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,255 Posts
    They should have that blueprint thing back in current
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

32. Post #192
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    They should have that blueprint thing back in current
    Credits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

33. Post #193
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,255 Posts
    as like a little tutorial image
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #194
    Dennab
    January 2009
    1,725 Posts
    Nice to see that the altimeter has been the same since its introduction. And the old decoupler texture is still included with the game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #195
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    as like a little tutorial image
    We have an interactive tutorial now. What would be the pint?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)

36. Post #196
    March 2010
    1,473 Posts
    We have an interactive tutorial now. What would be the pint?
    Aesthetic appeal. Maybe scrap the current text-box format for the blueprint style?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

37. Post #197
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    I have to say that single image explains it better and simpler than a bunch of annoying text messages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

38. Post #198
    April 2010
    1,634 Posts
    The MKK is very close to being finished before texturing. The modules finished are the crew compartment, the body (which holds RCS fuel) the two wings, and a fuel tank. The RCS component is modeled and imported, but is invisible because of a glitch. I'm currently trying to work that out.

39. Post #199

April 2011
    4,491 Posts
    That tutorial image would be perfect with Adam Savage doing a voice over for it and drawing it out at the same time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

40. Post #200
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    Ask Harv about it. Would be good for them to be mebbe sponsored by mythbusters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)