1. Post #2561
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Now compare this to the Android version:

Metro is pretty much the same.
    That's not relevant to my or your original point.

You said if every browser tried to use metro, they would all look the same. Just because Firefox looks like Firefox, that doesn't mean Chrome or IE will look like Firefox in the Metro style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2562
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,584 Posts
    Well, Firefox doesn't seem to be using Metro, that was the point of that post.
    It just uses the unified mobile UI Mozilla made.

I just don't see how can all browsers not look the same with Metro UI. Most they can do is just toss some UI elements around, which won't really change a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #2563
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Metro apps don't just have to be black background with white controls.

I just don't see how can all browsers not look the same with Metro UI. Most they can do is just toss some UI elements around, which won't really change a lot.
    Same could be said about desktop browsers too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #2564
    April 2009
    14,584 Posts
    I disagree about the desktop browsers part. They use different UI elements, which is something that's not really a choice in true Metro.
    Let me show you this with iOS browsers:

This is stock Safari:

This is iCab, a third party browser:

This is Terra:

All three look very similar.

The only browsers I found that did look different are the ones that did not explicitly follow iOS guidelines:
    Opera Mini:

Dolphin Browser (which also totally doesn't look like Chrome):

Sorry, but I seriously can't see how can a browser truly look Metro without looking like IE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2565
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,478 Posts
    Well, Firefox doesn't seem to be using Metro, that was the point of that post.
    It just uses the unified mobile UI Mozilla made.
    The Firefox Desktop looks Metro.
    The Firefox Desktop also looks like Firefox Android.

So, the point you're trying to make is that, although Firefox Desktop does look adequately Metro, it can also distinguish itself as Firefox quite easily?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2566
    April 2009
    14,584 Posts
    The Firefox Desktop looks Metro.
    The Firefox Desktop also looks like Firefox Android.

So, the point you're trying to make is that, although Firefox Desktop does look adequately Metro, it can also distinguish itself as Firefox quite easily?
    While it looks minimalistic, I really can't say that it's Metro.
    What I've been saying is that I don't think that it's possible to completely follow Metro guidelines and stay different.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #2567
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    While it looks minimalistic, I really can't say that it's Metro.
    What I've been saying is that I don't think that it's possible to completely follow Metro guidelines and stay different.
    Which part of the guideline does it not follow?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

8. Post #2568
    April 2009
    14,584 Posts
    Well, it doesn't seem to be using Metro UI elements.
    The top bar makes the bottom app bar (charm?) redundant.
    The close tab icon is smaller than the recommended size (9mm)

I'm reallt nit-picking right now, though.
    I guess I'm just used to Metro apps all looking like this:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #2569
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Well it's just a concept, and they could use the app bar for other functions instead of the address and back controls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #2570
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,240 Posts
    Anyone know if that odd AMD display driver thing where you needed to rename a file was fixed in the RC? Figure I should know before I install it tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

11. Post #2571
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    So it was a user issue :)
    Or was it? Are his new permissions the same as someone else's install or is it a special tweak just for him?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

12. Post #2572
    May 2012
    50 Posts
    dunno. it seems like every other windows is a piece of crap. And they are making a big ui change. might wanna wait 2 years while they iron out all the bugs and lameness
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #2573
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    351 Posts
    http://blog.chromium.org/2012/06/try...etro-mode.html
    Finally!

Edited:

I updated to a dev release, and all I got was a a new 'new tab' icon:

No metro yet!
    "next Chrome Dev channel release"

But glad that we'll be able to preview that.

Also it kinda makes (a little) sense that they port the browser, UI and all to Metro (in dev) before they start Metro-izing it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #2574
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Hey Panda, I'm reading over at Neowin and a couple forum members are attributing the freezing to using google chrome and / or having power saving settings enabled on their NIC. Did you try messing with either of those when you had the RP installed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

15. Post #2575
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,768 Posts
    Hey Panda, I'm reading over at Neowin and a couple forum members are attributing the freezing to using google chrome and / or having power saving settings enabled on their NIC. Did you try messing with either of those when you had the RP installed?
    I'm using chrome and it doesn't seem to be freezing for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #2576
    April 2009
    14,584 Posts
    NIC?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #2577
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Network Interface Controller (Ethernet/wireless controller)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #2578
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    I've corrected a few of the things that are bothering me in photoshop.
    aligned a few icons properly, because Microsoft are incapable of it.
    Removed the awful light blue when a neutral grey should be used instead.
    And the superbar, I think it looks really weird with all the spare space on either side, so why not chop it off?

I'm interested to see what they will do with those bloody awful gummy icons in the final version.

Edited:

Oh yeah, those awful pastel tabs that appear in the window controls, ditched them too as they are redundant.

Edited:

Also, the title for the window, wouldn't it be better if it lost the edge glow, and auto coloured itself, dark wallpaper, light text and vice versa.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

19. Post #2579
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    I've corrected a few of the things that are bothering me in photoshop.
    I like the superbar cut off like that. Reminds me of the OSX dock.

The ribbon needs those pastel tabs to clearly identify the sections that need to stand out. The darker separators don't cut it. The light grey is a lot better than the blue though, I will admit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #2580
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    I like the superbar cut off like that. Reminds me of the OSX dock.

The ribbon needs those pastel tabs to clearly identify the sections that need to stand out. The darker separators don't cut it. The light grey is a lot better than the blue though, I will admit.
    What about this, then?

Edited:

I just think everything needs to be fairly neutral, let your wallpaper set the colour scheme, don't go out melting everyone's eyeballs with clashing colours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #2581
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    I've had the freezing when not using Chrome. As for NIC I haven't messed with it.

22. Post #2582

July 2011
    148 Posts
    I have a Samsung Q1 (x86, 512 MB) with a 800 x 480 resistive touch screen. Would it benefit from Windows 8?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #2583
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,768 Posts
    I have a Samsung Q1 (x86, 512 MB) with a 800 x 480 resistive touch screen. Would it benefit from Windows 8?
    I was gonna say it'll manage with a bit more ram. after looking it up I'm gonna have to say no.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

24. Post #2584

July 2011
    148 Posts
    Damn. I wish Android-x86 worked on it :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

25. Post #2585
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    I've had the freezing when not using Chrome. As for NIC I haven't messed with it.
    Have you tried it with chrome uninstalled?

Edited:

What about this, then?

Edited:

I just think everything needs to be fairly neutral, let your wallpaper set the colour scheme, don't go out melting everyone's eyeballs with clashing colours.
    A light gradient like what they're using for dialog buttons works too.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #2586
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    I doubt having Chrome just on disk is going to cause a whole OS to fail.

27. Post #2587
    October 2009
    5,855 Posts
    not going to upgrade until there is some sort of start menu mod for the latest window 8 build
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Venezuela Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

28. Post #2588
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts

Edited:

A light gradient like what they're using for dialog buttons works too.

I think the lighter tabs fit due to the fact they're special tabs.

29. Post #2589
    April 2007
    534 Posts
    If people are looking to put the effort into integrating the start menu on to Windows 8 surely if you're not looking to embrace the changes in the OS, why not look into porting Windows 8 features to Windows 7 that way you're not going to be chasing Microsoft on every change?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #2590
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    not going to upgrade until there is some sort of start menu mod for the latest window 8 build
    All old mods still work for the RP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

31. Post #2591
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

32. Post #2592
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    I'm using Start8 by Stardock on my Windows 8 RP laptop. Runs great, and feels integrated, with PNG "Start Orb" theme support.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

33. Post #2593
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    I'm using Start8 by Stardock on my Windows 8 RP laptop. Runs great, and feels integrated, with PNG "Start Orb" theme support.
    My complaint about Start8 is that it's just the start screen resized and doesn't really work when that small in terms of amount of content shown.

It would work better if it was a mix between the start screen and start menu like these concepts a friend of mine made:

http://tehoscatuni.tumblr.com/post/2...ment-prototype
    http://tehoscatuni.tumblr.com/post/2...-quite-special
    http://tehoscatuni.tumblr.com/post/23057425680
    http://cl.ly/HFOL/o
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #2594
    Lua is a powerful, fast, lightweight, embeddable scripting language
    March 2012
    230 Posts
    I have Windows 8 on my laptop.
    It's running faster, but the design looks ugly, and sometimes, it freeze.
    I guess it's my laptop :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

35. Post #2595
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,068 Posts
    I disagree about the desktop browsers part. They use different UI elements, which is something that's not really a choice in true Metro.
    Let me show you this with iOS browsers:

This is stock Safari:

This is iCab, a third party browser:

This is Terra:

All three look very similar.

The only browsers I found that did look different are the ones that did not explicitly follow iOS guidelines:
    Opera Mini:

Dolphin Browser (which also totally doesn't look like Chrome):

Sorry, but I seriously can't see how can a browser truly look Metro without looking like IE.
    If you ask me - if you enter a system with design and style guidelines (ios, windows aero, windows metro, OSx) you should follow the design guidelines from the system. in that case Opera on Ios is bad - because it forces it's own design paradigm.

In the same vein Safari or Itunes on windows is bad as well, as they force their own design paradigm on windows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

36. Post #2596
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,739 Posts
    My complaint about Start8 is that it's just the start screen resized and doesn't really work when that small in terms of amount of content shown.

It would work better if it was a mix between the start screen and start menu like these concepts a friend of mine made:

http://tehoscatuni.tumblr.com/post/2...ment-prototype
    http://tehoscatuni.tumblr.com/post/2...-quite-special
    http://tehoscatuni.tumblr.com/post/23057425680
    http://cl.ly/HFOL/o
    But then you now have 3 "start" screens. I think that's even more confusing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #2597
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,205 Posts
    i don't think the point is you use all 3 at the same time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #2598
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    So I've just moved over to Windows 8 from Windows 7, and I must say, I'm impressed! It's fast as hell and looks beautiful. Still a bit confusing in places, had to use Task Manager to get myself out of the 'settings' area. I don't know if it's the install wizard, but my USB wireless adapter (Which doesn't work properly out of the box with Linux, nevermind Windows 7) worked straight from install, graphics drivers worked fine. Had to install Realtek drivers for sound but that was no issue. Wireless is fast as hell too!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #2599
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,070 Posts
    Right because microshit has not put basic thought into that programs might want to use IE to load stuff without any tinkering I am leaving it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #2600
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,825 Posts
    Right because microshit has not put basic thought into that programs might want to use IE to load stuff without any tinkering I am leaving it.
    What?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)