1. Post #1361
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Also, when I shut down my PC, it will still show me as signed in when I sign in elsewhere.
    That's so people can message you offline I believe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #1362
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,724 Posts
    That's so people can message you offline I believe.
    Windows Live Messenger has offline messaging that doesn't keep you signed in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

3. Post #1363
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    And that was the defending point all the Vista apologists had? "This OS isn't bad anymore!". A product's purpose is not "it doesn't suck!" it's "this product is good, look at all this stuff!".
    That's completely idiotic, by that logic we should all call 95, 98, 2000, XP, and Vista shit because they weren't all that great at launch and had to be updated to make decent.

And the idea of a "Vista apologist" is completely moronic.

Edited:

Windows Live Messenger has offline messaging that doesn't keep you signed in.
    Mobile IM programs generally keep your status as online for standby though, which is what I image that is. For example on WLM for iOS it'll keep your status as online until you change it to offline yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

4. Post #1364
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    That's completely idiotic, by that logic we should all call 95, 98, 2000, XP, and Vista shit because they weren't all that great at launch and had to be updated to make decent
    Sure, why not? They don't meet the definition of a good product if I went by my standards as a programmer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #1365
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    Sure, why not? They don't meet the definition of a good product if I went by my standards as a programmer.
    If you apply that same logic to something else you might see how silly it is.

"Oh this car has terrible handling"
    A new version of the car comes out with better handling
    "Oh this is much better, I quite like this now, it's great" "Stop being an apologist, it's shit because the previous one was shit despite the fact they fixed the problem"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1366
    I'm having a lot of problems with the Messaging app. More often than not, it will show me as Offline and "Connecting", while others see me online as Away. I can talk to people and receive messages like normal. Also, when I shut down my PC, it will still show me as signed in when I sign in elsewhere.

And the overall lack of options on any Metro app is really disappointing. I think it's strange I can do more on Windows Phone 7 than on Windows 8, when it comes to Metro apps that is.
    Its a preview
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

7. Post #1367
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,724 Posts
    Its a preview
    I know it's a preview, but I thought the consumer preview was more or less indicative of the release, feature-wise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #1368
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Your analogy makes my sound logic seem silly. I don't think we disagree, but let me explain.

Let's say Honda released a car model every year that had issues for a few months with each release. Then Honda, in 2014, releases a car that is fine on launch.

Up until 2014, I think you are perfectly in your right to think that Honda cars are all shit. Sure, they might not explode when you put it in drive, but if you're having issues with EVERY new release, then clearly the manufacturing or QA process isn't refined enough. Is the 2013 model better than the 2012 model? Probably. It might make you think less about the other 2-3 things that you've had to fix in the beginning of the fiscal year, but is the 2013 car really good? Depends how big the issue, of course, but I'd be tempted to answer no.

'Shit' might be too strong of a word, but I don't think the idea that most previous versions of Windows weren't particularly great is that absurd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #1369
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #1370
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,536 Posts
    I love the new BSOD

people find it dumb downed for people but honestly it is a major improvement from this

I'd prefer w8 BSOD, besides it seems to be a fast method of finding the issue instead of scooting through the uninteresting shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #1371
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    I miss the black screen of death that appeared momentarily in some M3 builds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #1372
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    What's the name of that font?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1373
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,084 Posts
    What's the name of that font?
    Probably a version of Segoe UI.

Edit:
    Just tried it, it is definitely Segoe UI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

14. Post #1374
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,536 Posts
    Seems like an early W.I.P of the new BSOD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #1375
    October 2007
    608 Posts
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but the way you express should be more refined than than this.
    Let's have a look at his criticism one more time shall we?

pardon me for not accepting a less-than-stellar touch interface slapped haphazardly on a desktop OS with no regard to usability or functionality.
    I think that's a refined criticism. And totally valid too.

Garry's statement applies more to vague shit like 'lol windowz sucks its got so many viruses' or 'lol apple is so overpriced its for faggotsz'. Sure he's not dressing up his words, but he isn't just making vague statements or calling the entire operating shit. I agree with woolio 100%, there is no getting around the fact that Windows 8 shoe-horns a tablet UI onto desktops, and there is unsurprisingly a lot of negative backlash because of it. It completely disregards usability principles; having to hunt around in corners for an invisible button? Do Microsoft actually employ user experience consultants?

It's definitely a change. Windows needed to be dumbed down - so many ignorant people think OSX is better because it's more "user friendly". Windows is just catching up now.

As for it being difficult to use for experienced users - I disagree. It's something we just need to learn.
    I know this post is a week old, but I want to respond because I want to register an issue I have with this line of argument.

First, I would be very surprised if Apple ever decided to mesh together their two operating system interfaces as clunkily as Microsoft have. With the advent of Lion and Mountain Lion, one may argue there is a degree of iOSification in later versions of OSX, but the way in which they're integrating the two is fundamentally different. Take Launchpad, a grid interface of application icons similar to the iOS Homescreen, and about as oversized and useless on desktop monitors as the Metro Start screen on Windows 8 is. The difference between the two implementations? Launchpad is a totally optional function you most likely will never use and can avoid. You start in the desktop, drop into Launchpad and back out to the desktop again once you launch an app, where it's almost the reverse on Windows 8: You start in the start screen, and drop into the Desktop to work with legacy desktop apps, but you'll eventually have to drop back into the start screen to launch something else.

My other problem with this line of argument is it's terrible user interface paradigms like what's present in Windows 8 which does make OSX more user friendly. What they've done with Windows 8 is makes things much more complicated for the average joe, and I would say OSX is easier to use than Windows 8. It's not 'catching up' to OSX's in the race towards ease-of-use, it was just disqualified (if it 'caught up' to OSX it would be easier to use than Windows 7, but it's no doubt going to be harder for the majority of users).

As for it being difficult to use for experienced users - I disagree. It's something we just need to learn.
    The majority of Microsoft's industry is enterprise. You go tell people in enterprise to spend time learning what is ultimately a step backwards for what they use their computers for, for no real payoff. There is absolutely no incentive to use Metro for enterprise. There is absolutely no incentive for me to use Metro at home on my desktop either, come to think of it. Point is, people who use computers for work have better things to be doing than to learn an obtuse operating system. The whole point of user-centric design and governing usability principles is to make things as intuitive for users as possible; that means natural and easy to learn; Microsoft certainly aren't doing that with some of their interface decisions, like hiding key functionality.

While these videos are totally anecdotal, I think the results are rather telling:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

16. Post #1376
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts

The majority of Microsoft's industry is enterprise. You go tell people in enterprise to spend time learning what is ultimately a step backwards for what they use their computers for, for no real payoff. There is absolutely no incentive to use Metro for enterprise. There is absolutely no incentive for me to use Metro at home on my desktop either, come to think of it. Point is, people who use computers for work have better things to be doing than to learn an obtuse operating system. The whole point of user-centric design and governing usability principles is to make things as intuitive for users as possible; that means natural and easy to learn; Microsoft certainly aren't doing that with some of their interface decisions, like hiding key functionality.
    I have a feeling that there is going to be a group policy to go back to the traditional start menu anyways. I can't see Microsoft completely ignoring all the criticism by both users and the enterprise market over the new start menu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #1377
    October 2008
    2,397 Posts
    I have a feeling that there is going to be a group policy to go back to the traditional start menu anyways. I can't see Microsoft completely ignoring all the criticism by both users and the enterprise market over the new start menu.
    Or, they could make a new start menu that implements the features of the fullscreen start menu into a much more compact and easy to use package. The current fullscreen start menu has so much wasted space with padding and such which could be made into a much smaller package similar to the current start menu, while retaining functionally.

But, I doubt Microsoft will even add back the start button, despite it clearly being needed. I guess only time will tell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #1378
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,733 Posts
    I love the new BSOD

people find it dumb downed for people but honestly it is a major improvement from this

I'd prefer w8 BSOD, besides it seems to be a fast method of finding the issue instead of scooting through the uninteresting shit.
    You should be able to hit TAB or something so you can see the BSOD stuff,
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

19. Post #1379
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    You should be able to hit TAB or something so you can see the BSOD stuff,
    The address params?

20. Post #1380
    I love the new BSOD

HAL confirmed in w8
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Funny Funny x 2 (list)

21. Post #1381
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid you can't do that."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #1382
    Titlepocalypse 2012 participant
    November 2010
    7,936 Posts
    "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid you can't do that."
    UNINSTALLING NON-MICROSOFT OPERATING SYSTEMS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1383
    July 2009
    2,261 Posts
    I love how quickly he experiences the mound of shit that is safari.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #1384
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,972 Posts
    We aren't even going to roll out windows 8 unless it has some hidden features above and beyond the GP that 7 gave. If there is a windows 7 theme or "classic" we will use that but at the moment we see no features worth the price of an upgrade. Windows 8 Server however looks pretty nice.

Edited:

Anyone try windows 8 server yet still downloading for me

25. Post #1385
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    3,106 Posts
    anyone got kies to work? I want my ics update
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Germany Show Events

26. Post #1386
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    I think I mentioned how VS11 looks awful whereas Office 15 actually looks decent, so what has Microsoft done? They made Office 15 even prettier: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...preview-142569
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #1387
    July 2009
    2,261 Posts
    I formatted the drive. I got tired of how fucking jinky the OS is.
    It's already tried to "repair" something that wasn't broken (I think this is common, but still) and my computer just ran a disc check where it compared my discs to my built-in factory image partition, deleted a bunch of shit, un-deleted a bunch of shit, then let me start my Windows 7 partition.
    Fuck the instability, this is my only computer and I'm trying to apply for college and scholarships...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #1388
    January 2012
    412 Posts
    Still on Win 8 DP. The beta's on my laptop. I honestly like DP a bit better on my desktop.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

29. Post #1389
    Sphene
    September 2010
    10,825 Posts
    Got my first BSOD today.
    Scared the bejezus out of me because I was listening to this song and it froze at the drop at 0:47. Sound kept repeating the last .1 second or so from that portion then finally ":(".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #1390
    I DEFY YOU, HEART MAN!
    December 2011
    391 Posts
    I love the new BSOD

There should be extra info like for STOP: 0x0******** and stuff.
    Just in case the guide says "Fan Stopped working go do stuff" when the problem you really had was "Kernel error <detail> <Detail>" or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #1391
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    pooled storage owns so hard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

32. Post #1392
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts
    There should be extra info like for STOP: 0x0******** and stuff.
    Just in case the guide says "Fan Stopped working go do stuff" when the problem you really had was "Kernel error <detail> <Detail>" or something.
    In that example it says HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED = 0x0000005C

33. Post #1393
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,390 Posts
    So I noticed this thing on Microsoft's new IE9 promotional site - http://browseryoulovedtohate.com

Looks kinda neat in my opinion.

Edited:

Of course, it is not really related to Windows 8, but I like this metro-ish superbar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #1394
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,536 Posts
    So I noticed this thing on Microsoft's new IE9 promotional site - http://browseryoulovedtohate.com

Edited:

Of course, it is not really related to Windows 8, but I like this metro-ish superbar.
    that's a nicely built website, at least Microsoft was self-aware that their previous browsers sucked ass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #1395
    February 2012
    80 Posts
    This gon be good cant wait for the official release. Ill rub it in my mac loving teachers face and say. can your operating system, do this, download this or play this???? i didn't think so
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14 (list)

36. Post #1396
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,390 Posts
    This gon be good cant wait for the official release. Ill rub it in my mac loving teachers face and say. can your operating system, do this, download this or play this???? i didn't think so
    And by doing this you'll become just like one of those crazy mac addicts. Congratulations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Zing Zing x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #1397
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,972 Posts
    What did they do to windows server? I like the speed but holy shit they fuck clustered it all half assed. UI wise

I like how it is incorporating alot of virtualization techniques, like being able to install $print server into a VHD instead of on the same DC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #1398
    November 2010
    7,936 Posts
    And since you pretty much just use your computer to get on FP and Facebook, what's the difference?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

39. Post #1399
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,792 Posts

Edited:

Reminds me of an old theme I was working on years ago.

40. Post #1400
    November 2010
    7,936 Posts

Edited:

It might be cool if they actually themed the whole OS like Metro.
    Click the Start Button and the taskbar would sweep across the whole screen bringing the Start Screen with it.

Edited:

Oh well, ideas for Windows 9

Edited:

Pin sites directly to your Windows 7 Taskbar – you won’t find this feature in any other browser. Get one click access to Facebook, Hulu, NY Times, Yelp and much more from your Windows 7 Taskbar- simply drag the site tab to the Taskbar to set it up. Think of it as improved bookmarks – with one click access to sites and live notifications. Learn more.
    http://browseryoulovedtohate.com/learn

Brb, pinning sites to my taskbar with Chrome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)