1. Post #201
    December 2009
    4,975 Posts
    I think this guy is about to.
    http://www.twitch.tv/divez
    Wooop, thats me. I already did finish it.
    And boy, the game sucked ass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #202
    I love Scandinavians and Ducks
    August 2007
    4,145 Posts
    Just needs the crying and some other kind of goal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #203
    December 2009
    4,975 Posts
    Here, have a 15 second summary of my gameplay.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 23Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #204
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,983 Posts
    Wooop, thats me. I already did finish it.
    And boy, the game sucked ass.
    "Boo hoo, this game that was free and made by one person doesn't have enough content"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

5. Post #205
    December 2009
    4,975 Posts
    Well, not to sound rude or anything, but i didnt really enjoy it. The ending was a letdown and it needs more scares. Not just shadows making you jump.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

6. Post #206
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    "Boo hoo, this game that was free and made by one person doesn't have enough content"
    Except it was a letdown even for something that was offered to us. I'd rather it didn't exist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #207
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,118 Posts
    Then don't play it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

8. Post #208
    July 2010
    443 Posts
    I recorded myself playing this
    found him on the seventy-somethingth floor, which is apparently shorter than average
    watching the very end of my footage, I can't believe I freaked out like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #209
    March 2007
    3,651 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

10. Post #210
    August 2010
    4,436 Posts
    I recorded myself playing this
    found him on the seventy-somethingth floor, which is apparently shorter than average
    watching the very end of my footage, I can't believe I freaked out like that
    Upload it, do it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #211
    March 2007
    3,651 Posts
    Upload it, do it!
    My upload of my 35 minute trek is right above your post if you want to watch.

Recorded my voice and my friends voice that was playing the game too.

12. Post #212
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,321 Posts
    Not an excuse for being bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

13. Post #213
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,168 Posts
    This game exemplifies the "minimalist" theory of horror gaming. The more complicated a game is, the less scary it actually is. For example:

Half-Life 2: Lots of guns and explosions, features,constant game-play and details. Not that scary.
    Fear: Some guns, building game-play elements and action. Pretty scary at times.
    Amnesia: No weapons, minimal HUD, very slow building action. Scary as fuck.
    This Mod: No weapons, No HUD, only one linear stairwell and a 2d face sprite. SWEET FUCKING CHRIST SCARY.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #214
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,424 Posts
    Actually, I think I will make that SCP rougelike. What would be some good SCPs to include. Not sure if I should post it here or the SCP thread, but since this is a game thread I think here would be better. It would be cool to have the red sea object, because that was one of my most favored SCPs. I think the coffee machine would work as a wish system, and the vending machine that vends random things would work as a random high risk high reward system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #215
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,646 Posts
    Actually, I think I will make that SCP rougelike. What would be some good SCPs to include. Not sure if I should post it here or the SCP thread, but since this is a game thread I think here would be better. It would be cool to have the red sea object, because that was one of my most favored SCPs. I think the coffee machine would work as a wish system, and the vending machine that vends random things would work as a random high risk high reward system.
    I dunno man, SCP can vary pretty wildly as to what genre it is. I mean, you may not get as much a sense that Able can take twenty 50 cal. rounds to the head to kill when it's all bird's eye, you dig?

16. Post #216
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,424 Posts
    Are you saying guns don't work in rougelikes? If so, then look up doomrl, bitching fun game and it's basically doom (i.e. lots of guns).

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,646 Posts
    Are you saying guns don't work in rougelikes? If so, then look up doomrl, bitching fun game and it's basically doom (i.e. lots of guns).
    No, I'm saying when it's all cold stats and shit it can be difficult to get the right sense of combat. It might not feel as... combatative, is what I'm saying.

18. Post #218
    February 2010
    311 Posts
    Not an excuse for being bad.
    I thought it was pretty cool. The controls were kinda shoddy but the atmosphere was great and the scares were paced out so that generally I had calmed down by the time the next one happened. The ending wasn't that cool but that's cause I had read the experiment logs for 087.

If there was a camera overlay on top of the screen (battery meter, timestamp, stuff like that) it would have improved things. Some dialogue between the researchers and your D-class character would have been really cool if done right. Having the scenario play out like the experiment logs, with the child crying and the face behind you, would have been icing on the cake.

Bottom line, the problems are fixable and there's lots of room for improvement, which is good. For what it is, it still got me super paranoid and I jumped a few times. Mission accomplished.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,312 Posts
    This game exemplifies the "minimalist" theory of horror gaming. The more complicated a game is, the less scary it actually is. For example:

Half-Life 2: Lots of guns and explosions, features,constant game-play and details. Not that scary.
    Fear: Some guns, building game-play elements and action. Pretty scary at times.
    Amnesia: No weapons, minimal HUD, very slow building action. Scary as fuck.
    This Mod: No weapons, No HUD, only one linear stairwell and a 2d face sprite. SWEET FUCKING CHRIST SCARY.
    Those rollermines that fall out of a hole in the house on highway 17 gave me a heart attack when I first played Half Life 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,646 Posts
    Those rollermines that fall out of a hole in the house on highway 17 gave me a heart attack when I first played Half Life 2
    Obligatory Ravenholm post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #221
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,424 Posts
    I disagree, cold stats might feel uncomforting at first but once you get into the swing of the game you start getting into the feel of it. When I play ToME or DF, I start feeling like an adventurer or some high council leader. I feel the lack of graphics wouldn't detract, but rather add to a game about SCPs. With a description, the player's mind can start running it's own course and scare the player more than I can ever dream to be able to with realistic graphics and special effects. The feel of dread as you see your untimely demise in a rougelike is very real, and the fact that permadeath exists will make the death all the more gripping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #222
    July 2009
    5,881 Posts
    Do you mean to tell me that the vent-crabs didn't scare the ever-loving shit out of you?!

Or worse, the zombies that suddenly pop out from under a puddle of water and a pile of boxes, making an extremely loud wood-snapping noise. I was leaning forward to see what the hell was in the water, and when it happened my face almost flew through the screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #223
    January 2010
    9,520 Posts
    My friend is playing this right now without knowing what the fuck will happen

I am excited

24. Post #224
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,168 Posts
    Do you mean to tell me that the vent-crabs didn't scare the ever-loving shit out of you?!

Or worse, the zombies that suddenly pop out from under a puddle of water and a pile of boxes, making an extremely loud wood-snapping noise. I was leaning forward to see what the hell was in the water, and when it happened my face almost flew through the screen.
    Well I mean yeh, they did have a few good scares, but the overall feeling of helplessness instilled in this and Amnesia far surpass the horror of a few leaps.

Though that poison zombie in the shed was... terrifying. D:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #225

July 2011
    2,327 Posts
    I tried it once

came to the 180th floor then i ragequit.

saw a whole lot of shadow things but no face no sir
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #226
    March 2007
    3,651 Posts
    The maker of this should have changed the max travel time.

27. Post #227
    July 2010
    443 Posts
    Upload it, do it!
    okay, okay, here it is:

I edited it a bit to save some time (spent 25 minutes total on this game)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #228
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    Shut up, just because it was free and by one person doesn't mean its protected from criticized for being bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16 (list)

29. Post #229
    March 2007
    3,651 Posts
    Shut up, just because it was free and by one person doesn't mean its protected from criticized for being bad.
    Lets see you make something that will give players as much suspense as this game did?
    http://youtu.be/JLNwsg75rOs?hd=1&t=7m21s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #230
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    Lets see you make something that will give players as much suspense as this game did?
    http://youtu.be/JLNwsg75rOs?hd=1&t=7m21s
    Another even more stupid fallacy, just like how critics need to be able to make better movies to be able to criticize movies right? Haha

Edited:

My friends got more scared from each other than this drawn out game, its scary the first shadow, maybe up to the 3rd, but after the 10th it really loses its charm. Its the length of the game that is the biggest problem, it has suspense when its 30~ stairs, not 100.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #231
    March 2007
    3,651 Posts
    Another even more stupid fallacy, just like how critics need to be able to make better movies to be able to criticize movies right? Haha

Edited:

My friends got more scared from each other than this drawn out game, its scary the first shadow, maybe up to the 3rd, but after the 10th it really loses its charm. Its the length of the game that is the biggest problem, it has suspense when its 30~ stairs, not 100.
    This is the work of one person, I.E. you could do it yourself, but you haven't, and never will.
    I could understand you bitching about a AAA game, but this is the job of a single man, not an entire dev studio.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #232
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    This is the work of one person, I.E. you could do it yourself, but you haven't, and never will.
    I could understand you bitching about a AAA game, but this is the job of a single man, not an entire dev studio.
    So what if I haven't/can't/whatever assumptions about me that hold no relation to the topic at hand?

The fact of the matter is is that this mod isn't good, I understand why, and I won't kill the dev because I'm sure he's pretty cool or whatever, but just because its ONE GUY doesn't mean the game cannot be bad, its not invincible from criticism just because its one person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #233
    August 2009
    12,394 Posts
    Need more SCP games

And it shall be called "Class D"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #234

December 2008
    188 Posts
    Here's an idea for a game. You come to a dead end hallway and have to go down. You are given two options. An elevator with the inside covered in blood and body parts (Based off some SCP) or these stairs.

35. Post #235
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,889 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 11Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #236
    Extraction Point
    July 2006
    8,071 Posts
    Need more SCP games

And it shall be called "Class D"
    All of them close when you die.

37. Post #237
    September 2009
    180 Posts
    Sweet jesus. I wish I knew XNA well enough to help.

Actually, that seems abandoned. The page was last updated 185 days ago. Sucks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #238
    July 2009
    5,881 Posts
    okay, okay, here it is:

I edited it a bit to save some time (spent 25 minutes total on this game)
    I watched it all the way through. At the very ending when it grabbed for you, I heard that brief second of your incoming scream of terror and I burst out laughing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #239
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    Oh so all these dumb's are telling me that this game cannot be criticized, okay, haha, stupid as fuck people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #240
    September 2009
    180 Posts
    Oh so all these dumb's are telling me that this game cannot be criticized, okay, haha, stupid as fuck people.
    No, they're telling you that you're being an ignorant prick. You can criticize the game, sure, but at least give a valid argument for how it's bad instead of being "HURR DURR IT SUCKS ... BECAUSE"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)