1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,056 Posts
    But isn't Evangelion full of the clichés that make stereotypical anime criticism?
    Socially awkward boy, unrealistically big-chested 14 year old girls, several moments exploring the connection of the two

The rest of the story is fairly interesting, though. (except for the last two episodes)
    It's actually not archetypal at all, you're oversimplifying it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

2. Post #122
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    actually it ends up exactly like that

go read the manga my lovelies
    Even that part, like the rest of the manga, was steeped in Japanese culture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #123
    May 2010
    11,298 Posts
    Even that part, like the rest of the manga, was steeped in Japanese culture.
    im surprised you haven't brought up Lupin the third yet

that series is almost always fucking amazing

4. Post #124
    I'm a Wizard
    March 2006
    2,702 Posts

It was the first anime I ever watched. The original movie and tv series were great, the newer movies are pretty good too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

5. Post #125
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    I personally find it a bit odd, but also (some of it) quite amusing. If people like anime, let them like it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #126
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts

Lupin the 3rd is also really good, but it's not really about Japan or Japanese culture, as it takes place in various world locations, with Lupin being half-French/half-Japanese.

7. Post #127
    May 2010
    11,298 Posts
    Lupin the 3rd is also really good, but it's not really about Japan or Japanese culture, as it takes place in various world locations, with Lupin being half-French/half-Japanese.
    who cares

it's good anime made in japan by the japanese(and some koreans)

8. Post #128
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    who cares

it's good anime made in japan by the japanese(and some koreans)
    I get that, I was just remarking on the essence of the story being told.

It is good.

9. Post #129
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    12,059 Posts
    Anime is fine all within itself, but I think that it's those rabid fans who only watch anime that give it a bad name.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,555 Posts
    first off, I'm an asian that doesn't particularly like anime/manga, however I'm fine, sometimes curious when white people read it.

however, there is thing that make me think "ew" when looking at other people reading it

japanese characters in certain scenes when the rest of the thing is in english

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,855 Posts
    Anime isn't terrible in some cases. I genuinely enjoyed Gurren Lagann. As for the ~moe~ genre, I'm definitely not a fan.

It's just like anything else - you enjoy what you enjoy, you don't have to look at what you don't.

12. Post #132
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    Compared to american animation animes art style tend to stay the same. Its true that art styles change but most keep the same. I'm not hating on anime i'm just saying.
    Though I can't stand most current anime (2008-11) because the medium seems to be stuck at this one point (All characters feeling unrealistic and the same, anime being more girly and less manly, all about highschool, ect). Its kind of like when the gaming industry only made cod clones and since I don't like cod I just have to wait until they move somewhere else.

Edited:

Anime isn't terrible in some cases. I genuinely enjoyed Gurren Lagann. As for the ~moe~ genre, I'm definitely not a fan.

It's just like anything else - you enjoy what you enjoy, you don't have to look at what you don't.
    I did too. I haven't really found an anime that feels the same besides maybe diebuster.

13. Post #133
    May 2011
    3,056 Posts
    There's a few diamonds in the shitpile. Cromartie High School, everything by that guy who made Howl's Moving Castle, stuff like that.
    This. His stuff is the only anime I watch (although I'm open to finding other good nuggets of anime as well), apart from a few episodes of DBZ. I've been told to watch Death Note, is it any good?

14. Post #134
    Ask me about my secret society of Jihadist Mexican Lobsters
    July 2010
    1,270 Posts
    It's not that I hate anime

It's that I hate the fan base which kills it somewhat in my opinion

15. Post #135
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    This. His stuff is the only anime I watch, apart from a few episodes of DBZ. I've been told to watch Death Note, is it any good?
    Yea. Its one of those anime that are watched by people that don't even like anime.

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,838 Posts
    cause it's weird

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2008
    1,742 Posts
    Anime is terrible if it's that kawaii desu~~~ shit.

But other anime like Ghost in the Shell, Dragon Ball & Z, as well as anything by Hayao Miyazak (the only real examples I can think of) is generally pretty good; to me atleast.

18. Post #138
    DANCE YOU FOOLS
    November 2007
    1,779 Posts
    Anime is a category of entertainment media originally made to target Eastern audiences with a different taste. Saying anime suck is pretty much the same as saying all animated cartoons suck, regardless of title and subgenre. It is incredibly unreasonable and bias to say all anime suck because those who say it usually only heard of horrible mainstream titles like Naruto and think all anime is like that while it is not, and it's usually the Westerners who grew up in a completely different culture would say things like this.

Imagine a bunch of Asians insulting all cartoon shows including the ones you were grown up with, simply because they saw shows that doesn't fit their taste.

Edited:

It's also dumb when people automatically associate those who watches anime as weaboos. Being a weaboo is a "lifestyle" people chooses because they are obsessed with it. Not everyone who watches anime develops chronic obsession, just like not every Harry Potter fan have twenty posters of it in their room, draws a scar on their forehead, have a wand collection, and/or wears black capes and round spectacles..
    Fixed, only because you don't really hear much hate on Lucky Star, more on Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. But that's not to say there isn't those who look at LS and wonder how anime is even popular. I personally thought Lucky Star was all right, but it really appeals to a specific audience (gamers, otakus, etc.)

While we're on Bleach (were we even on Bleach? eh) I want to say it has one of the best soundtracks in anime I've ever heard. Though it's overused as FUUUCK

This. His stuff is the only anime I watch (although I'm open to finding other good nuggets of anime as well), apart from a few episodes of DBZ. I've been told to watch Death Note, is it any good?
    It's all right, but ignore people that say that it's "deep" or "intricate". It's entirely focused on the murdering spree of a psychopath that believes he's doing the world justice. How he goes about it and his other schemes are pretty elaborate, but that's it.

19. Post #139
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    I would say best sound track in anime history would have to go to gurren lagann (panty and stocking would definitely be on the list).

20. Post #140
    October 2009
    1,651 Posts
    From my perspective (Which may be narrow). I'm not saying its bad at all.
    I dislike it for multiple reasons

-The art style, and just the art itself. It feels ridiculous. I don't like the way it looks either.
    -Exaggerations in emotion (facial expressions, etc.) Its really silly and weird. I can't take it. Other people can though but not me.
    -The culture influence. It feels inspired by Asian cultures too much. I can't relate to some themes.
    -The story/plot can be just ridiculous in general. Characters can be so random.
    -The voice acting can be really bad from what I've seen. I'm sure this isn't true with other anime.

To sum up I just think its too silly, random and absurd. I can't enjoy it but if other people can then I suppose its good for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

21. Post #141
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    Not all (even though most) are like that. An example I guess would be kaiji or deathnote.

22. Post #142
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    12,059 Posts
    The name you're looking for is Hayao Miyazaki. He fucking rocks.

Personally, I thought Death Note was alright until all of the emo and goth people found out about it and essentially abused it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

23. Post #143
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,487 Posts
    cause it's weird
    A++ quality argument right here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

24. Post #144
    July 2009
    2,265 Posts
    The name you're looking for is Hayao Miyazaki. He fucking rocks.

Personally, I thought Death Note was alright until all of the emo and goth people found out about it and essentially abused it.
    True. Also, Near and Mello.
    Terrible decisions...

25. Post #145
    August 2008
    1,455 Posts
    I think the thing that bothers me are the quiet asian kids who get facebook and their profile pictures are anime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

26. Post #146
    May 2010
    11,298 Posts
    I think the thing that bothers me are the quiet asian kids who get facebook and their profile pictures are anime.
    why do you care what other people do, especially when they're other people on the internet you have no immediate affiliation with

Edited:

True. Also, Near and Mello.
    Terrible decisions...
    you sir just earned yourself a high five and a cookie

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,300 Posts
    The Anime Adaptation of "Supernatural" wasn't bad, but then again it was an Adaptation of a western TV show, so it really doesn't count.

I thought Code Geas was a great Anime as well, the First season anyways, 2nd was not as good.

And Future Diaries, but again its all about the individual persons tastes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

28. Post #148
    CD drives eject stuff, my ass ejects stuff, therefore my ass must be a CD drive.
    July 2009
    4,592 Posts
    In general I dislike anime, although there have been a few series that I've thoroughly enjoyed like Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist. In my opinion, anime is plagued with a lot of crap, but if you sift through it you might find something good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,855 Posts
    The Anime Adaptation of "Supernatural" wasn't bad, but then again it was an Adaptation of a western TV show, so it really doesn't count.

I thought Code Geas was a great Anime as well, the First season anyways, 2nd was not as good.

And Future Diaries, but again its all about the individual persons tastes.
    Code Geass' first season was pretty good. Second season was a rushed pile of shit.

Also, as many have said, Studio Ghibli films are phenomenal.

30. Post #150
    July 2009
    2,265 Posts
    I love the show... So I never watched the anime...

you sir just earned yourself a high five and a cookie
    I like chocolate chip :)

31. Post #151
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,058 Posts
    -The culture influence. It feels inspired by Asian cultures too much. I can't relate to some themes.
    Maybe because it's made by asians?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,763 Posts
    But isn't Evangelion full of the clichés that make stereotypical anime criticism?
    Socially awkward boy, unrealistically big-chested 14 year old girls, several moments exploring the connection of the two
    You know I haven't actually watched Evangelion but I'm pretty sure every teenage female in it is as skinny as a twig.

33. Post #153
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,058 Posts
    yeah well you be the judge

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,614 Posts
    Umm, that's fanart.

And Mari doesn't really count because she is from the Rebuild movies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

35. Post #155
    February 2011
    8 Posts
    You can bash it all you want but really it's just part of their culture. Many other foreign countries may look at our movies and say the same thing. For example, almost all american movies have happy endings.
    If you don't care for Anime, then there's no need to debate it.

36. Post #156

January 2012
    58 Posts
    I think there's nothing wrong with anime itself, but the fans are horrible. I've yet to find someone who is both a fan of anime and capable of not making an ass of themselves, and I have no idea why these two have to be mutually exclusive. My friends have found the same, so if I had to guess, a lot of the hatred for it comes from the serious lack of maturity in the fans.

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,173 Posts
    Just like MLP the fanbase gives anime a bad name

38. Post #158
    May 2011
    3,056 Posts
    I think there's nothing wrong with anime itself, but the fans are horrible. I've yet to find someone who is both a fan of anime and capable of not making an ass of themselves, and I have no idea why these two have to be mutually exclusive. My friends have found the same, so if I had to guess, a lot of the hatred for it comes from the serious lack of maturity in the fans.
    I went to an "anime club" once, genuinely interested in seeing some cool anime. Half the meeting was trying to hook a PS3 up to a TV while everyone drew shitty comics everywhere, then everyone went outside to play "ninja", then it was mostly yelling at each other over stupid shit.

In case you're wondering, two of them were autistic, three wore cat ears, and five or so spouted nothing but Kawaii~~~ shit out of their mouths. I never went back.

39. Post #159
    S.T.A.R.S Member and Honorary B.O.W
    May 2008
    1,726 Posts
    I'm wondering, what exactly IS "kawaii~~~" anyway? And don't give me that whole "kawaii desu desu uguu ^_^" crap, that's excessive generalization, I want to know what it really is and how to identify it.

40. Post #160
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    I remember my highschool anime club being cool until the weaboos and cod kiddies ruined it. As soon as the girl with the badly made cat ears and tail came in I knew it was over. The anime club got shut down because some neck beard got angry that we wouldn't let him grope (hug) the girls after they told him to stop and told the teacher that we didn't have an adviser.