1. Post #81
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BAKELITE FETISH
    Dennab
    April 2011
    6,395 Posts
    If you have a friend that hates all anime with a passion, just force them to watch Akira.

Just look at that shit. The only things I don't like abut anime are the english dubs. They always sound overacted and shitty, watch them subtitled if you can.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

2. Post #82
    Dennab
    July 2009
    2,787 Posts
    The main reason I cant stand anime is because of the cheap animation, id does like <5 fps in the animation, and the constant cheaping by making people not move at all and just stand still like statues, or animating only the lips when people talk (heck, I have seen anime where not even the jaws were moving)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

3. Post #83
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    The main reason I cant stand anime is because of the cheap animation,
    Not all anime has this issue.

id does like <5 fps in the animation,
    Even at its worst this is quantifiably false.

and the constant cheaping by making people not move at all and just stand still like statues, or animating only the lips when people talk (heck, I have seen anime where not even the jaws were moving)
    Another issue that not all anime has.

These issues you're describing have nothing to do with anime being what it is, but with specific shows being poorly made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,056 Posts
    i love how everyone here is super understanding and has the same opinion, but for example if someone were to post anime on lmao pics in a non ironic fashion they would get flamed out of existence.
    LMAO pics is the worst thread on the worst part of the forum

An engaging story line that moves at a good clip.
    Bleach
    DBZ
    One Piece (sometimes)
    lole
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,974 Posts
    I think the hatred stems not from the medium itself but the Insufferable portions of the fanbase.

People who refer to it every goddamn sentence and constantly harp on about how great it is.

They may not even be weeaboo's, having no desire to go to Japan and whatnot, they just never shut up about it.

One guy I know, whenever he talks about it will always say "I hate how people think all anime = hentai." and his phone background is a barely clad anime girl, and I mean by Anime standards.

Much of the hatred and dislike stems from not wanting to associate with this group. And in spite of our repeated statement of "We don't care!" Some of the fan base still talk about it all the damn time.

In short, it's not Anime we hate, but the reputation that has become rooted in it thanks to the more Idiotic elements of the fanbase.

At least they are easy to wind up, all it takes is a "kids cartoons" and their face swiftly goes a nice shade of red.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,057 Posts
    If you have a friend that hates all anime with a passion, just force them to watch Akira.

Just look at that shit. The only things I don't like abut anime are the english dubs. They always sound overacted and shitty, watch them subtitled if you can.
    Now ask yourself this. Would the narrative be improved or not by replacing the children by characters with a believable age for the roles they are in. It's a movie made for adults so why not have relatable characters.

Sure Akira is nice, but it still falls into a lot of the pittfalls that the majority of anime does.

Imagine for instance Aliens, but all the marines are replaced by children. You'd instantly loose the narrative strength. For the record, Aliens actually does children in movies right. Remember the little girl.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,882 Posts
    Well kids are awesome in a lord of the flies like situation where they're all being horribly brutal to each other due to lack of supervision or guidance.

But saving the world, nah.

8. Post #88
    May 2010
    11,298 Posts
    Now ask yourself this. Would the narrative be improved or not by replacing the children by characters with a believable age for the roles they are in. It's a movie made for adults so why not have relatable characters.

Sure Akira is nice, but it still falls into a lot of the pittfalls that the majority of anime does.

Imagine for instance Aliens, but all the marines are replaced by children. You'd instantly loose the narrative strength. For the record, Aliens actually does children in movies right. Remember the little girl.
    because it's about a young generation that are entirely cut off from their more ritualistic and old world elders

akira is just fucking post WW2 Japan and the clash between the younger and older generations mixed with tons of philosophy and amazing fight sequences

making the protagonists of Akira adults would make as much sense as making the characters in boys in the hood white

Edited:

Well kids are awesome in a lord of the flies like situation where they're all being horribly brutal to each other due to lack of supervision or guidance.

But saving the world, nah.
    btw they didn't really save anything they just kind of fucked it up, and then unfucked it a little

in fact pretty much everyone in akira fucks things up, be it the control freak government, the anarchist yooths, or the exploited kids caught in the middle.

9. Post #89
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    because it's about a young generation that are entirely cut off from their more ritualistic and old world elders

akira is just fucking post WW2 Japan and the clash between the younger and older generations mixed with tons of philosophy and amazing fight sequences

making the protagonists of Akira adults would make as much sense as making the characters in boys in the hood white

Edited:

btw they didn't really save anything they just kind of fucked it up, and then unfucked it a little

in fact pretty much everyone in akira fucks things up, be it the control freak government, the anarchist yooths, or the exploited kids caught in the middle.
    If by 'post-WWII Japan' you mean 'A dystopian Japan set in the year 2019', then yes.

10. Post #90
    May 2010
    11,298 Posts
    really the reason that a lot of anime stars kids is because japan is a fucking crucible of expectations and pressure

young characters are unused to extreme environments and as such are a nice contrast when your story is about how fucking horrible and fucked up everything is, even when all of the people living in your "made up" world are used to it

not that that's why it's like that all the time, but whatever

Edited:

If by 'post-WWII Japan' you mean 'A dystopian Japan set in the year 2019', then yes.
    sci fi is a story telling method to remove the viewer from a setting and separate them from their inherent biases so that current attitudes and emotions can be examined more objectively

go back to story telling school

Edited:

and yes, japan is the leader in animation

they do it the best

that's just how it is

the french come in second place maybe

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,057 Posts

Edited:

Keep in mind for this Japano-centric understanding of Akira you must have some knowledge about Akira. I've personally said it before, when I first saw Akira, I didn't see anything japanese in it apart from the artstyle.

It was only later that someone explained to me, that it was focused on Japapenese post world war trauma.

So to someone like me, who has little not no interest about anime, apart from what I get strongly recommend by a few people I trust in their choice, the narrative drive in it feels off. It's still good, just off.

I'd personally say that there's a different "average" hero in japanese modern cliches compared to western. I'd like to cite Nier as an example again. Which did ship in two distinct versions.

And it's certainly possible, that just like jokes don't translate well over cultures, neither do certain narrative standards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

12. Post #92
    September 2008
    14,608 Posts
    sci fi is a story telling method to remove the viewer from a setting and separate them from their inherent biases so that current attitudes and emotions can be examined more objectively

go back to story telling school
    I'm aware that it's sci-fi, and that the story revolves around similar traumas as post-war Japan (with the story taking place in the wake of a recent nuclear explosion in Tokyo), but I'm just saying that it's not the same timeframe.

13. Post #93
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    17,004 Posts
    It's kind of wrong to classify "ANIME" as one genre. It's like saying "FILMS" is one genre or "3D" is a genre of video games.

There are plenty of different types of anime, with varying production values and styles, but I think people sometimes get a little too held up on "KAWAII DESUUUU" anime like K-on and Lucky Star, and long drawn out series like Dragonball Z, Naruto, Bleach and the like.

14. Post #94
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,458 Posts
    Just one thing I've noticed in a few that slightly annoys me is the obligatory gender adrogenous character.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,841 Posts
    I like a few animes but I can see where a lot of people are coming from if they dislike it. Personally I think Full Metal Alchemist, Deathnote, anything by Studio Ghibli, Akira and Cowboy Bebop are good but they still have a few of the things that I don't really like. The same can be said for a lot of western films though, I've noticed that a lot of American films tend to shove forced romance plots into every movie even if it isn't really necessary.

Edited:

That and hiring the most attractive actor over the most talented one.

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,160 Posts
    I personally dislike the style it is animated in the most. It looks very cheap and there are barely any frames when characters move around.
    Then there is the art style itself, I personally, do not find it very appealing.

17. Post #97
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,056 Posts
    I personally dislike the style it is animated in the most. It looks very cheap and there are barely any frames when characters move around.
    Then there is the art style itself, I personally, do not find it very appealing.
    You do realize that there are different art styles, and not every show uses shit-tier Korean animators because they're cheap

Here's an example of a pretty interesting art style (IMO) and SEVEN YEARS of hand drawn animation

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    The same can be said for a lot of western films though, I've noticed that a lot of American films tend to shove forced romance plots into every movie even if it isn't really necessary.

Edited:

This, pretty much. We're just so used to it that we don't find it particularly weird out when we come across it in western media, even though we can recognize it as negative qualities.

19. Post #99
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    9,314 Posts
    Art styles differ hugely, as stated above.

I'm not the best person to talk about animation quality though, as I've grown accustomed to the cheapness of a large part of what you can see out there. It really doesn't bother me, I would get exactly the same experience even if every single frame was meticulously drawn.

Edited:

The same can be said for a lot of western films though, I've noticed that a lot of American films tend to shove forced romance plots into every movie even if it isn't really necessary.

Edited:

Oh god yes.
    Too much yes. I could name so many movies which would have been tonnes better if they'd kept out the "love" and used that time to advance the actual plot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    16,343 Posts
    Cromartie Highschool

21. Post #101
    January 2011
    3,842 Posts
    I find anime sometimes funny since it's often childish. (mostly romantic or comedy animes) I'm not a big fan of anime, but I enjoy mostly every tv show that can keep me entertained for 22 minutes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    16,343 Posts

23. Post #103
    I'm not a particular fan of Anime, but I don't mind if it appears here and there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

24. Post #104
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    9,677 Posts
    First seven episodes of Gurren Lagann were the most amazing thing ever. The last three were pretty good too.
    10 episodes?
    There are 27 dude.

Edited:

I'm not a particular fan of Anime, but I don't mind if it appears here and there.

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,400 Posts
    He meant the first seven episodes were some of the best, and so were the last three. It was all amazing though.

And so what if someone has an Anime avatar? Just means they liked that specific one.

26. Post #106
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    9,677 Posts
    He meant the first seven episodes were some of the best, and so were the last three. It was all amazing though.

And so what if someone has an Anime avatar? Just means they liked that one.
    Ah, that makes sense. I was dumb.

I wasn't trying to argue anything about his avatar, I just found it a bit funny.

27. Post #107
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,058 Posts
    i love how everyone here is super understanding and has the same opinion, but for example if someone were to post anime on lmao pics in a non ironic fashion they would get flamed out of existence.
    if someone posted a Cowboy Bebop reference on FP it'd be cool
    if someone posts a kawaii desu uguu pic its a whole different thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,614 Posts
    ITT: People who haven't watched Neon Genesis Evangelion

Watch that and see if you can still put all anime into one category.

Another anime that hasn't been mentioned and that is very well worth watching is Detective Conan.
    A very unusual anime that focuses on logical problem solving (mostly murder cases), although its main plot is based on a fictional event.

Edited:

Oh and animes like Naruto and One Piece are better in their manga form, because the animation (especially Toei's) and fillers tend to ruin it.

Forget about Bleach.

29. Post #109
    Ah, that makes sense. I was dumb.

I wasn't trying to argue anything about his avatar, I just found it a bit funny.
    Well, yeah. I knew someone would notice that sooner or later.
    Still, my opinion has been unchanged for a long time and I think I won't change it anytime soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

30. Post #110
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    9,314 Posts
    Forget about Bleach.
    Man bleach was good until the first Soul Society arc ended.
    (then again I do very loosely follow it today so)

31. Post #111
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    I think alot of FP hates it because it goes down to this:

Bad stories - Bleach and Naruto which have bad stories that have no imagination at all and anyone could have thought of them.

Themes - Its like they want us to see little girls doing shit. But then, multiply that by 90% of the animes.

Explicit and exaggerated sexual content and design - A friend of mine who is into everything with boobs in anime showed me the usual "boy meets girl, girl kills boy, another girl saves boy and gives him powers" anime. Said anime had these angels against devils thing, and the angels tried to kill this human kid because of whatever. Then this devil girl showed up, revived him and gave him powers.
    Imagine the size of every girl that is important to the plot. Yup, bigger than their heads. And every time a girl moves, those gargantuan milk monsters bounce more than someone on a trampolin. Its as if they were long hair, and when you turn your head they do that motion of following your body instead of just staying still with your chest.
    Then the girl wakes up in the kid's bed all naked for some reason...
    We don't need more shit like that where theres sexual content because of... Shit I don't know, just so one can rub it out while he watches if its his thing. It even gets retarded when you make the characters, since they end up being boobs with a person attached to them.

Cutesy crap - kawaii everywhere, except for those animes that are actually good.

I believe these are the points that make anime shit. Look at Cowboy Bebop. IMO, one of the greatest shows ever in the anime group, and if it had any of those elements I just listed, it was only a very very small bit of it and nothing else. And its story was magnificent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events

32. Post #112
    bake someone a cake with laxatives and viagra and then they will have poopboners
    August 2007
    4,456 Posts
    Samurai Champloo, along with Cowboy Bebop had an amazing story paired with a great soundtrack and art style.

Whenever I see animes I like it kinda annoys me that it's hard for me to find good ones, and in order for me to find them I'd have to go through a lot of insufferable anime that moulds to all the stereotypes that people have grown to hate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

33. Post #113
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BAKELITE FETISH
    Dennab
    April 2011
    6,395 Posts

Edited:

they're like 19 anyway

besides, the world gets fucked anyway. i don't think having the billion(s?) of people in future tokyo dieing in a fucking nuclear godbomb explosion is "saving" it. it'd probably end up like the road warrior anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

34. Post #114
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,491 Posts
    Anime is a category of entertainment media originally made to target Eastern audiences with a different taste. Saying anime suck is pretty much the same as saying all animated cartoons suck, regardless of title and subgenre. It is incredibly unreasonable and bias to say all anime suck because those who say it usually only heard of horrible mainstream titles like Lucky Star and think all anime is like that while it is not, and it's usually the Westerners who grew up in a completely different culture would say things like this.

Imagine a bunch of Asians insulting all cartoon shows including the ones you were grown up with, simply because they saw shows that doesn't fit their taste.

Edited:

It's also dumb when people automatically associate those who watches anime as weaboos. Being a weaboo is a "lifestyle" people chooses because they are obsessed with it. Not everyone who watches anime develops chronic obsession, just like not every Harry Potter fan have twenty posters of it in their room, draws a scar on their forehead, have a wand collection, and/or wears black capes and round spectacles..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,190 Posts
    I'm saying that the first seven were good, and then the series was okay until the last three when it picked up again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,558 Posts
    ITT: People who haven't watched Neon Genesis Evangelion

Watch that and see if you can still put all anime into one category.

Another anime that hasn't been mentioned and that is very well worth watching is Detective Conan.
    A very unusual anime that focuses on logical problem solving (mostly murder cases), although its main plot is based on a fictional event.

Edited:

Oh and animes like Naruto and One Piece are better in their manga form, because the animation (especially Toei's) and fillers tend to ruin it.

Forget about Bleach.
    Seriously this. Watch Evangelion before you start criticizing Anime, especially when you criticize the animation quality. It's really funny because in western animation companies are moving away from higher quality traditional animation and towards the cheaper and typically worse quality computer animation with tools like Flash. Speaking of Evangelion and animation, Gainax actually made a show making fun of us, and our animation in particular. I don't watch many TV shows anymore, but it's pretty clear that our animation is no longer superior.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

37. Post #117
    May 2010
    11,298 Posts
    they're like 19 anyway

besides, the world gets fucked anyway. i don't think having the billion(s?) of people in future tokyo dieing in a fucking nuclear godbomb explosion is "saving" it. it'd probably end up like the road warrior anyway
    actually it ends up exactly like that

go read the manga my lovelies

Edited:

I think alot of FP hates it because it goes down to this:

Bad stories - Bleach and Naruto which have bad stories that have no imagination at all and anyone could have thought of them.

Themes - Its like they want us to see little girls doing shit. But then, multiply that by 90% of the animes.

Explicit and exaggerated sexual content and design - A friend of mine who is into everything with boobs in anime showed me the usual "boy meets girl, girl kills boy, another girl saves boy and gives him powers" anime. Said anime had these angels against devils thing, and the angels tried to kill this human kid because of whatever. Then this devil girl showed up, revived him and gave him powers.
    Imagine the size of every girl that is important to the plot. Yup, bigger than their heads. And every time a girl moves, those gargantuan milk monsters bounce more than someone on a trampolin. Its as if they were long hair, and when you turn your head they do that motion of following your body instead of just staying still with your chest.
    Then the girl wakes up in the kid's bed all naked for some reason...
    We don't need more shit like that where theres sexual content because of... Shit I don't know, just so one can rub it out while he watches if its his thing. It even gets retarded when you make the characters, since they end up being boobs with a person attached to them.

Cutesy crap - kawaii everywhere, except for those animes that are actually good.

I believe these are the points that make anime shit. Look at Cowboy Bebop. IMO, one of the greatest shows ever in the anime group, and if it had any of those elements I just listed, it was only a very very small bit of it and nothing else. And its story was magnificent.
    is it just me or do you people get really weird whenever sexuality comes up

i mean yeah that ero shit is fucking stupid 99 times out of 100 but it's not like it's any more stupid than Transformers or any of that schlock, and not any more pandering or offensive. it's just pandering to a different audience.

fucking ignore it and move on, it's just a show jesus christ.

38. Post #118
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,614 Posts
    Speaking of Evangelion and animation, Gainax actually made a show making fun of us, and our animation in particular. I don't watch many TV shows anymore, but it's pretty clear that our animation is no longer superior.
    Oh wow, didn't realize that Gainax made that.

39. Post #119
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,058 Posts
    Seriously this. Watch Evangelion before you start criticizing Anime, especially when you criticize the animation quality. It's really funny because in western animation companies are moving away from higher quality traditional animation and towards the cheaper and typically worse quality computer animation with tools like Flash. Speaking of Evangelion and animation, Gainax actually made a show making fun of us, and our animation in particular. I don't watch many TV shows anymore, but it's pretty clear that our animation is no longer superior.
    But isn't Evangelion full of the clichés that make stereotypical anime criticism?
    Socially awkward boy, unrealistically big-chested 14 year old girls, several moments exploring the connection of the two

The rest of the story is fairly interesting, though. (except for the last two episodes)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

40. Post #120
    July 2009
    1,398 Posts
    I watch anime, I hate most anime.
    I don't like it when people say that ALL anime is bad.