1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,284 Posts
    There seems to be an overwhelming lack of 1990's period pieces despite how the last couple generations have produced countless 80's and even more 70's period pieces. The only 90's period piece I can think of off the top of my head is The Big Lebowski. Are there any more I haven't seen or can't think of?

2. Post #2
    January 2008
    720 Posts

This movie just screams 90's to me.

edit:

Sorry picture broke. It was Night at The Roxbury.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,238 Posts
    Ever heard of Wayne's World?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,284 Posts

This movie just screams 90's to me.
    What's the movie? it shows as a broken image for me (might be blocked over here)

5. Post #5
    Rust Customer Helpdesk - leave a message on my profile!
    September 2005
    63,056 Posts
    I might be wrong, but I don't think it counts as a period piece if it's released in that period.
    All the movies posted so far have been from the 90's.

Edited:

What's the movie? it shows as a broken image for me (might be blocked over here)
    The URL says Night at the Roxbury (made in the 90's, as is the Big Lebowski)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,284 Posts
    The URL says Night at the Roxbury (made in the 90's, as is the Big Lebowski)
    oh wait fuck, you're right, it came out in 1998

I always though Big Lebowski was made in 2001

wow I'm fucking retarded

7. Post #7
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,702 Posts
    Wait, you want a movie that 'represents' the 90's or just a few good movies from that decade? Because, if it's the latter, I can only assume you haven't seen enough movies

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,284 Posts
    What I mean by a 'period piece' is simply a movie set in a certain time period tha takes an effort to portray the cultural aesthetic for a lack of a better phrase.

As in Watchmen being a 1980's period piece. While it may not necessarily be essential to the plot (although in Watchmen's case it kind of is), it captures the culture of the time period it's trying to portray.

Actually, a better example of a period piece would be something like O Brother, Where Art Thou
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    Jesus, a 1990s period piece? Stop making me feel old when I'm only 23.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 4 (list)

10. Post #10

November 2010
    482 Posts
    I'm only 21 so the only movies I can remember from that period which I thought "O wow!" about are Matrix, Starship Troopers, Men in Black and The Blair witch Project...

11. Post #11
    Jesus, a 1990s period piece? Stop making me feel old when I'm only 23.
    Companies have found that:
    a) nostalgia brings in the big bucks
    b) kids have a shit ton of disposable income

All it took was a dash of synergy and we get this crappy '90s nostalgia craze.

Anyway, here's some '90s for the OP:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,271 Posts
    Richard Linklater's Slacker would be up your alley. I don't think it counts as a period piece because it's from the 90s but it captures the decade so well you should check it out.

watch the whole movie here:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    November 2009
    6,697 Posts
    12 Monkeys
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    You had me at meat tornado.
    June 2008
    5,591 Posts
    Pulp Fiction is an obvious one.

But I'd suggest The Player and Short Cuts both directed by Robert Altman. Pretty great films that represents well the 90's feel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    September 2005
    63,056 Posts
    Pulp Fiction is an obvious one.

But I'd suggest The Player and Short Cuts both directed by Robert Altman. Pretty great films that represents well the 90's feel.
    This isn't what 'perioid piece' means, once again all of the films you mentioned are made in the 90's

For it to be a period piece, it would need to be made after 2000, but be set in the 90's, making effort to portray the 90's in the film.

Edited:

ITT absolutely nobody suggests a valid film
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    You had me at meat tornado.
    June 2008
    5,591 Posts
    Ohh, then I don't know really know any period pieces for the 90's.

I'm not even sure if there's any good ones too. But if you want films that feels like the 90's, you might as well just watch films from the 90's.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,448 Posts
    I want to say Friday. I'm not black or grew up in the hood but as a child I spent a lot of time in the hood because a lot of my family lived there. I feel like it's pretty much my life if I was an adult in the 90s, not a kid

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    Honestly, all the good ones I can think of off the top of my head came out in the late 90s.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    idfk

back to the future
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

20. Post #20
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,702 Posts
    I don't think there are many, since everyone forgot about the 90's

seriously, all decades are considered cool, but nobody cares for the 90's, kinda sad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    July 2011
    256 Posts
    Hopefully these work

Freedom Writers

Crash

Hotel Rwanda

Into the Wild

Pauly Shore Is Dead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    What I mean by a 'period piece' is simply a movie set in a certain time period tha takes an effort to portray the cultural aesthetic for a lack of a better phrase.

As in Watchmen being a 1980's period piece. While it may not necessarily be essential to the plot (although in Watchmen's case it kind of is), it captures the culture of the time period it's trying to portray.
    I don't think alternate reality period pieces really count
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    November 2009
    6,697 Posts
    This isn't what 'perioid piece' means, once again all of the films you mentioned are made in the 90's

For it to be a period piece, it would need to be made after 2000, but be set in the 90's, making effort to portray the 90's in the film.

Edited:

ITT absolutely nobody suggests a valid film
    Going by these standards, we get:

Every single war film, except The Hurt Locker

24. Post #24
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    11,559 Posts
    Unforgiven

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,098 Posts
    Unforgiven
    That was made in the '90s and set in the 1800s.

OP needs to be updated with a proper definition and example because people don't understand and/or can't read.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,404 Posts
    Um, American Psycho. I honestly didn't like it one bit but it feels very 90s to me. The whole 'power tie' business man thing is totally 90s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,098 Posts
    That was very clearly set in the '80s.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    11,559 Posts
    That was made in the '90s and set in the 1800s.

OP needs to be updated with a proper definition and example because people don't understand and/or can't read.
    Shit, my mistake.

29. Post #29
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,885 Posts
    Clerks has a strong 90s feel to it

and if you're not specifically looking for movies you could always go with Seinfeld
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    November 2009
    6,697 Posts
    Okay, I think this one definitely counts

Office Space

Also, The Informant - It was made in the 2000s depicting shit in the 1990s. BAM.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,098 Posts
    Clerks has a strong 90s feel to it

and if you're not specifically looking for movies you could always go with Seinfeld
    Clerks was made in the '90s

Okay, I think this one definitely counts

Office Space

Also, The Informant - It was made in the 2000s depicting shit in the 1990s. BAM.
    Office Space was made in the '90s

32. Post #32
    September 2005
    63,056 Posts
    whats with u people??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    12,277 Posts
    Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back? Technically?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,885 Posts
    why does it matter if it was made in the 90s or not as long as it captures the essence of the 90s?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    November 2009
    6,697 Posts
    why does it matter if it was made in the 90s or not as long as it captures the essence of the 90s?
    Exactly what Office Space does.

36. Post #36
    September 2005
    63,056 Posts
    because then it's a 90's movie, not a period piece. period pieces recreate the essence of the period. films made during that era inherently capture it.

Edited:

its like "why does the definition of period piece really matter when discussing period pieces??"

37. Post #37
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    Wait like 20 years and I'm sure there will be plenty period pieces
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    June 2011
    89 Posts
    Falling Down.

Edit: A little hasty there.

39. Post #39
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,885 Posts
    ok new question
    why does the op care about the lack of 90s period pieces as long as there are still a ton of good 90s-feeling movies (that may or may not have been filmed in the 90s)?

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,776 Posts
    Three Kings seems to be a borderline example, as it was in 1999. As mentioned above, American Psycho screams mid-90's, and it was made in 2000. I honestly thought it was made in 1995 and wasn't set anywhen in particular.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)