1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    Well I went to go to a LAN party yesterday and I was packing up my computer and I couldn't get my ethernet cord out of the port on the back, so I use slight force until it came out and apparently I bent 2 pins doing so, now I need a PCI network card since this is broken and I don't have the cash to get a new motherboard or anything like that. I've been looking at this but I can't tell a quality network card so I need some help. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166017 It has to be PCI and it cannot be any bigger than that one right there as there isn't much room in this little shuttle.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,588 Posts
    I've used three Rosewill network adapters, PCI, all wireless cards though. No complaints from me.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,602 Posts
    Unless you really need the Gigabit ethernet, just buy a cheap one off eBay.

Yeah, normally eBay is a shitty place to get parts, but I got a cheap "Jaht" ethernet card that's lasted for ages.

Found this one on the US eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/250956814360

They all use the same Realtek 8139 chipset, so Windows (Including 7 64bit) has the driver built in.
    Even supported in Linux too!

If you do, I found these two gigabit cards:

eBay $8.95 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/170759486825
    Amazon $9.99 - http://www.amazon.com/Encore-1000Mbp...dp/B000I5HE38/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,884 Posts
    Do you live in England? I've got loads of little PCI network cards hanging around.

Edit
    Since when did the little flags exist?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    September 2006
    26 Posts
    The realtek 8139 chip must have made billions, i've got loads of the buggers lying around
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    I've got old-ass unknown-make chips that used the 8139. plugged and played with Win7.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    I'll just go ahead and get the rosewill since its from newegg and my parents are buying it for me so they won't mind paying for it.

8. Post #8
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,104 Posts
    Just grab any card you can find. PCI network cards have been around long enough they are ceap to make and all the bugs have been taken out of them.
    If you are still looking for a reputable brand, I recommend 3Com.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,488 Posts
    I recommend 3Com.
    3Com doesn't even exist anymore. It's part of HP now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    the 3C905B was probably one of 3coms best network adapters, it had its own DSP and didn't burden the host CPU to do data transfers unlike nearly all modern integrated NICs. Integrated NICs these days aren't even NICs, they're just software based PHYcevers that rely on the host CPU.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Rosewill should be fine, for being an in-house brand for Newegg they make rather fantastic quality products. This 15 dollar USB WiFi Adapter has fantastic drivers, amazing bandwidth, range, and build quality. Not a PCI card, but I've been loving all my rosewill products.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Rosewill is just rebranded products from other manufacturers. Many of their network adapters use Realtek chips.

13. Post #13
    December 2009
    7,488 Posts
    Rosewill is just rebranded products from other manufacturers. Many of their network adapters use Realtek chips.
    That's not what you called rebranding. As long as the PCB design itself is original ,then the product is original. Nearly all part manufacturers uses 3rd party ICs because only few companies makes them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    I ordered cable ties from Rosewell and I got like 10 duds.
    Also avoid their PSU's.

15. Post #15
    April 2010
    2,543 Posts
    How can cable ties even BE duds?
    Pics?

And i agree about the power supply thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    How can cable ties even BE duds?
    Pics?

And i agree about the power supply thing
    I put the little thingys through the hole and then it snapped. 10 times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    Switch(config)#
    October 2007
    3,705 Posts
    Whatever you do, DON'T buy the Linksys WMP54G.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    Also avoid TPLink, their drivers are bad on Windows 8/7 and randomly disconnect.

19. Post #19
    December 2009
    1,345 Posts
    Also avoid their PSU's.
    Why didn't you just go to a hardware store and buy them?

20. Post #20
    Also avoid their PSU's.
    Cables to Go cable ties on amazon.

Bestest ties.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Also avoid TPLink, their drivers are bad on Windows 8/7 and randomly disconnect.
    Not if you grab the drivers directly from the chipset manufacturers site.
    I generally never trust the driver either bundled or hosted on the manufacturers website.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    Why didn't you just go to a hardware store and buy them?
    Because I'd rather have them come with everything else then have to go and buy separately.

23. Post #23
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    That's not what you called rebranding. As long as the PCB design itself is original ,then the product is original. Nearly all part manufacturers uses 3rd party ICs because only few companies makes them.
    The designs aren't original. Newegg goes out to OEMs and gets them to rebrand their products with the Rosewill moniker and resells them. Sometimes the original and the Rosewill part differ, because Newegg requests certain changes to be made, like with their PSUs.

You also don't know what you're talking about in regard to "only a few companies make ICs" There are thousands of companies that have their own fab plants. You don't need a state of the art facility to make CMOS circuitry.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,804 Posts
    Well I ended up not buying one cause my dad still had one in his computer he hadnt used in about 2 years, so free network card for me! ( even though it was free anyway. )

25. Post #25
    December 2009
    7,488 Posts
    You also don't know what you're talking about in regard to "only a few companies make ICs" There are thousands of companies that have their own fab plants. You don't need a state of the art facility to make CMOS circuitry.
    There's a reason why certain chips from major companies like Realtek are commonly used, because they are reliable and widely compatible. Would you really want to put your company's reputation on the line by buying some brandless ICs that no one has heard of with unknown reliability? I am not talking about the number of fab plants a company have, I am talking about numbers of companies that makes reputable designs.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,902 Posts
    This man knows what he's talking about. For example, every random $5 Chinese sound card on eBay uses a CMI sound chip.

27. Post #27
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,336 Posts
    This man knows what he's talking about. For example, every random $5 Chinese sound card on eBay uses a CMI sound chip.
    You mean one of those C-Media adapters? I have one of those. They are REALLY loud though. I can't go any higher than 5 in Windows before my ears blow out.

28. Post #28
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    There's a reason why certain chips from major companies like Realtek are commonly used, because they are reliable and widely compatible. Would you really want to put your company's reputation on the line by buying some brandless ICs that no one has heard of with unknown reliability? I am not talking about the number of fab plants a company have, I am talking about numbers of companies that makes reputable designs.
    Sorry, but nowhere in your other post did you mention "reliable" or "reputable". The argument was about how many companies have fabs, not how many of them made reliable parts or were reputable.

You mean one of those C-Media adapters? I have one of those. They are REALLY loud though. I can't go any higher than 5 in Windows before my ears blow out.
    There's probably a incorrect value resistor near the sound chip that's causing the output to be amplified too much. It'd be easy to fix if a schematic was available.

29. Post #29
    Fuck You, Laren Faust
    July 2009
    2,433 Posts
    Maybe get a wifi/Ethernet Combo? That could come in handy some day.

30. Post #30

January 2012
    32 Posts
    Well I ended up not buying one cause my dad still had one in his computer he hadnt used in about 2 years, so free network card for me! ( even though it was free anyway. )
    Guys I think OP settled this.

31. Post #31
    December 2009
    7,488 Posts
    Sorry, but nowhere in your other post did you mention "reliable" or "reputable". The argument was about how many companies have fabs, not how many of them made reliable parts or were reputable.
    Well that's not what I meant. You should be able to tell by reading the context regardless of not picking the best choices of words.