1. Post #1
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    [release]Mitt Romney: Total net worth: $85 million to $264 million

With no regular day job, Romney still earns a tidy income in the form of dividends and interest from his investments, and records filed with the Federal Election Commission show that the former Massachusetts governor commands between $20,000 and $68,000 on the speaking circuit.

Much of Romney's wealth is tied up in a blind trust, but some assets remain under his control -- including a few quirky items. For example, the FEC lists between $250,000 and $500,000 in horses, an asset the campaign says belongs to the candidate's wife. He owns another $250,000 to $500,000 in gold.

Romney has degrees from both Harvard Law and Harvard Business School, and had successful careers at the consulting shop Bain & Company and private equity firm Bain Capital before joining the Salt Lake City Olympics effort in 1999.
    [/release]

[release]Jon Huntsman: Total net worth: $16 million to $72 million
    The 51-year-old former governor spent much of his career in the public sector, but he also found time to work at the family business: Huntsman Corporation.

The candidate's father is one of the richest self-made men in the world, having given away more than $1 billion to fund universities and a cancer research center, among other causes.

Most of the younger Huntsman's assets are tied in some way to the family. He lists a family holding company worth between $5 million and $25 million as an asset.

The Utah native lists a few more conventional assets as well -- including investment funds from Vanguard and Fidelity.[/release]

[release]Newt Gingrich: $7 million to $31 million

The former house speaker is worth at least $7 million, putting him right in the middle of the 2012 pack.

The bulk of his assets come in the form of a promissory note from the Gingrich Group, LLC to Gingrich Productions, Inc., which are part of the tangled web of businesses the speaker maintains.

Most of the Georgia native's income comes from Gingrich Productions, a Washington-based multimedia company that paid out $2.4 million in disbursements to Gingrich.

Additionally, Gingrich lists between $565,000 and $1,150,000 in liabilities, including a now-closed line of credit at Tiffany and Co.[/release]

[release]Barack Obama: Total net worth: $2.8 million to $11.8 million

While some of his Republican challengers are downright wealthy, President Obama isn't all that far behind.

Obama earns a $400,000 salary as the nation's chief executive, and the Center for Responsive Politics estimates his net worth to be somewhere between $2.8 million and $11.8 million.

Where did the former senator and law professor get that kind of cash? Book sales, mostly.

In 2010, the Obama family reported an adjusted gross income of $1,728,096, down from about $5.5 million in 2009, according to the first couple's tax returns.

His paycheck was much higher in 2009 because his books -- "Dreams from My Father" and "The Audacity of Hope" were registering strong sales.

The tax returns also show the family donated about 14% of their income to charity in 2010.
    [/release]

[release]Ron Paul: Total net worth: $2.4 million to $5.4 million

While nowhere near the poor house, Ron Paul has more modest assets than some of his deep-pocketed rivals.

The Texas congressman also has a personal loan out from the First National Bank of Lake Jackson that totals $250,000 to $500,000 with a 5-year term.

Paul lists a Washington-area condo worth $100,000 to $250,000 as an asset, and has an investment portfolio stuffed full of mining stocks.

For example, the sound-money advocate holds $100,000 to $250,000 in Barrick Gold Corporation and $500,000 to $1,000,000 in Goldcorp Inc., two publicly traded mining companies.

In all, the congressman is invested in more than 20 separate companies that have the words "mining," "mines," "gold" or "silver" in their name.
    [/release]

[release]Rick Santorum: $1 million to $3 million
    One of the poorest 2012 candidates, Rick Santorum is still a millionaire.

Much of the former Pennsylvania senator's money is tied up in rental real estate properties, as well as education and savings plans for his children.

Santorum also has some debt to his name -- including two mortgages for rental properties totaling between $350,000 and $750,000. Those properties, located in State College, Pa., are worth between $500,000 and $1.25 million, according to the FEC filing.

From relatively modest means, Santorum served as a congressman and senator, but has since found more lucrative compensation in the private sector.

Santorum earned $1.3 million in income from January 2010 until August of last year from a variety of jobs, including a gig at the Ethics and Public Policy Center in Washington and as a contributor on Fox News.[/release]

[release]Rick Perry: $1 million to $2.5 million

Rick Perry is not exactly poor. But it's all relative. His assets place him at the back of the pack of 2012 candidates.

The governor -- who's still on the job -- collects both a salary and pension from the state of Texas. The salary is $132,995 a year, and he brings in a monthly annuity of $7,698.

In August, Perry revoked his blind trust, giving a look into his portfolio. The candidate is invested in a wide range of companies, including PepsiCo, Procter & Gamble, Chevron, Cisco and Microsoft.[/release]
    Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/electi...hese-guys.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 15 (list)

2. Post #2
    November 2010
    928 Posts
    You will never have a president who worked a minimum wage job ;_;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 26Agree Agree x 18Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,196 Posts
    Does this honestly surprise anyone? Even though you can campaign and raise money, only the ones with more money to throw at ads and campaigns are going to get anywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

4. Post #4
    playdoh
    May 2008
    3,042 Posts
    So, most of them are rich bastards, not suprisingly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    August 2010
    2,416 Posts
    Wealth = Intelligence, Wisdom, Guidance

Pfffft.

6. Post #6
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,196 Posts
    Because most political positions are nowhere near minimum wage. If said presidential candidate was a governor, senator, congressman, whatever, they're going to have a fat wallet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    227 Posts
    In all, the congressman [Ron Paul] is invested in more than 20 separate companies that have the words "mining," "mines," "gold" or "silver" in their name.
    Invest in all the mining companies.

Peddle "the gold standard" and become rich as economy falters.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,256 Posts
    Obama seems like he earned his wealth respectably

Edited:

Much of Romney's wealth is tied up in a blind trust, but some assets remain under his control -- including a few quirky items. For example, the FEC lists between $250,000 and $500,000 in horses
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 11Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces.
    May 2011
    5,929 Posts
    Santorum earned his money by being a fuckmuffin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Biased article did not report Vermin Supreme's wealth
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 29Funny Funny x 10Winner Winner x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,611 Posts
    Biased article did not report Vermin Supreme's wealth
    I had the chance to ask him, he checked his pocket and told me $12.75.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 28Winner Winner x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    ~~so trendy~~
    June 2010
    2,574 Posts
    I had the chance to ask him, he checked his pocket and told me $12.75.
    i love you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    227 Posts
    Sometimes I'm tempted to go around and say obnoxious, ultra-conservative things and collect the money in silence.

It seems to work fantastically well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

14. Post #14

December 2011
    117 Posts
    For people who think things like this are unfair, read the 48 Laws of Power; and then you will get how this shit works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    For people who think things like this are unfair, read the 48 Laws of Power; and then you will get how this shit works.
    Or you could actually read the books he made that Machiavelli for dummies horeshit based on and actually learn something.

16. Post #16
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,759 Posts
    Let's see if the guy with the most money wins.

17. Post #17
    September 2009
    303 Posts
    how does an instruction guide for being a sociopathic asshole explain how a plutocracy is "fair"

18. Post #18
    June 2010
    4,787 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Insensitive Jackass
    June 2011
    1,945 Posts
    Paul probably make good profit on the higher gold prices.

20. Post #20
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,844 Posts
    I remember that Obama's first chief of staff worked at a deli when he was younger. That's where he chopped off part of one of his fingers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,810 Posts
    This is their personal wealth, but i think they should reserve a portion of the collected tax money and devide that by the number of candidates and then declare any personal or corprate investments/spending toward campaigns illegal for as long as the candidates are campainging. Or something along those lines.

22. Post #22
    President who worked his way up from the bottom:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    known terrorist
    April 2011
    7,022 Posts
    I love how every election we have presidents who champion the cause of the lower and middle class people citing change and stuff, when in reality, they're millionaires and don't give a shit.

We need a true champion of the common people to become president, someone who knows our pain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    January 2012
    1,825 Posts
    Gingrich isn't rich! He said so himself! We can trust this guy.

25. Post #25
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    President who worked his way up from the bottom:
    he worked his way back down too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 22Zing Zing x 9 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,027 Posts
    Because most political positions are nowhere near minimum wage. If said presidential candidate was a governor, senator, congressman, whatever, they're going to have a fat wallet.
    I think by that he meant they had at one point worked one. As in, before getting into politics.

Though if I had control of things their government salary would be damn close to it. I think having them live off $10-12 an hour while taxing lobby money at 125% would make them more likely to vote for the common American.

Wealth = Intelligence, Wisdom, Guidance

Pfffft.
    Wealth = Willing to lie, cheat and steal to get what they want.

Money doesn't buy brainpower and it doesn't buy common sense. Want proof? Look at the GOP candidates. They're all fucking off their rockers, and they're quite well off.

27. Post #27
    February 2011
    1,876 Posts

Alright, so he didn't literally work a "minimum wage job" like you're thinking of, but you get the idea.

28. Post #28
    November 2009
    10,521 Posts
    Still doesn't beat my president, highest paid in the world
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,900 Posts
    In other news.

Inb4votebuying

30. Post #30
    Dennab
    June 2011
    2,108 Posts
    Lol obvious PR stunt.

LOOK GUYS I'M JUST LIKE YOU I SWEAR I'M NOT A ROBOT

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,611 Posts
    i love you
    He also mentioned something about on the other hand, owning thousands of trillions of ponies under his apartment.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,187 Posts
    Hahaha, Romney is worth more than all of them put together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,356 Posts
    Does this honestly surprise anyone? Even though you can campaign and raise money, only the ones with more money to throw at ads and campaigns are going to get anywhere.
    This is why there needs to be a campaign pool. Doesn't matter who raises the money, EVERYONE should get an equal share of the pool for advertising and such so no one person can speak louder than another.

34. Post #34
    November 2011
    148 Posts
    I like the term "fuckmuffin", it makes me smile
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,017 Posts
    Newt "I'm not rich I just have more money than you will ever make in your life" Gingrich

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,387 Posts
    Ron Paul is smart, he does not waste his money on status and is even willing to spend more then he earns with his bid to lower the presidential wage to $40 grand.

37. Post #37
    August 2010
    5,489 Posts
    Newt "I'm not rich I just have more money than you will ever make in your life" Gingrich
    Newt Ging
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,349 Posts
    I love how every election we have presidents who champion the cause of the lower and middle class people citing change and stuff, when in reality, they're millionaires and don't give a shit.

We need a true champion of the common people to become president, someone who knows our pain.
    To be fair though, most people that run for congress/presidency have a background in Law, which is a very highly paid career.
    Also, just because someone has money doesn't mean they don't give a shit. Ron Paul was a physician, I'm sure he cares about others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    13,057 Posts
    One of them might have done something minor poor paying as a kid or teen. But overall there's no way a minimum wage working person would get catapulted from that position into candidacy. For consideration if those numbers are anything to go by, Obama was "relatively" poor compared to the other candidates before becoming president. That pretty much gave him massive wealth due to the booksales among others.