1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    John Zorn is superb. I've got this Japanese fusion thing he did which freaked me the fuck out. Must find it.

2. Post #42
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    you'd like boredoms then
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,012 Posts
    Heh, John Zorn is cool. I like some his more oriental works though.

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    404 Posts
    The guitarist in John Zorn's group, Bill Frisell, is absolutely amazing, and in my opinion the best guitarist around at the moment

5. Post #45
    December 2010
    6,374 Posts
    Nothing beats early Brand X, they were the best live performers I have ever heard my life.

I had no idea this was live at first, Goddamn. So good.

This is one of the rare moments where the live version of the song is 1000x better, more complex and harder to play than the studio version. Also godlike drumming, Phil Collins is undoubtedly one of the very best. Before he got abducted by aliens. Also Percy Jones is one of the best bass players of all time IMO.

I wish I could find the Malega Virgen livestock version, it's the best live performance of any song I have ever heard in my life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    From Freddie Hubbard's Straight Life.

As usual, Herbie hancock pops up on keys. Honestly I don't know if half these jazz guys ever slept in the early 70's.

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,012 Posts
    If anyone's interested. I have some jazz-fusion drumming-stuff on my youtube channel.

Dave Weckl /w Chick Corea - Island Magic

Access Denied.

Here's also a 1 hour concert of my fusion band, which is now on hiatus.
    Part 1

Part 2

There's more on my channel.

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,291 Posts
    vocals on a jazz fusion album eh?

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,036 Posts
    I really need to get into more fusion stuff.
    All I really know is Allan Holdsworth, Weather Report and Herbie Hancock.
    And Soft Machine if you count them. And Chick Corea, although I've never really thought of him as a fusion artist.

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    need more live things. Some of the energy found on those recordings is amazing. I need to see a show some time.

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,012 Posts
    Have some Mahavishnu

If you're feeling adventurous, John McLaughlins free spirits.

Maybe even John Scofield

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,868 Posts
    This is now my favorite thread

Jesus fuck, the drums, percussion, bass and everything else is so brilliant in this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    I listened to this album recently:

pretty damn good.

14. Post #54
    DJK
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,764 Posts
    I'll assume this is jazz fusion, but I may be wrong.

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    I'll assume this is jazz fusion, but I may be wrong.
    more soul/funk but that's really good, I may have to get it.

16. Post #56
    DJK
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,764 Posts
    The whole album is really good,you should definitely give it a listen.

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts

The way it starts up until the burst of funk is amazing. Really overlooked fusion.

18. Post #58

April 2012
    62 Posts
    It's probably also worth noting that Jimi Hendrix essentially led to Miles experimenting with electric instruments, resulting in the creation of Bitches Brew which influenced just about everybody even remotely on the jazz scene, and had a lot of people wanting to create something similar in nature, hence the creation of Jazz Fusion

At least, that's how I've come to understand it
    Coryell may have been slightly earlier, but not nearly as great as Miles.
    Miles exact words were "I'm gonna create the best rock and roll band ever". That's when he got McLaughlin and Tony Williams, and did "In a Silent Way" and then he got even crazier and put together a ginormous band for Bitches Brew. I agree Jack Johnson is the best Fusion album of all time.

Also worth checking out is Brand X (Phil Collins fusion band), Tempest (Alan Holdsworth/Ollie Halsal), Return to Forever (Chick Corea's band). Already mentioned but I'll second them:

Mahavishnu's first 2 albums, Weather Report (pretty much all of them, but especially those with Jaco Pastorius playing bass).

I think sometimes Fusion can get monotonous, as most seem to focus on the virtuoso guitarist. But there are a lot of exceptional bands out there that do not.

Eric Johnson was also in a fusion band when he was quite young, The Electromagnets (1975 iirc), pretty decent.

Saw mention of some Japanese fusion. They are many good ones. Here's a good instrumental fusion band : Korekyojinn, pretty great stuff.

Not necessarily Fusion, but grew out of the scene (Krautrock) was a band named CAN. Very experimental and groovy. If you haven't heard anything by them please do yourself a favor and check out their 3rd album Tago Mago. There are vids on youtube, but I can't post any as you tube is disabled at my workplace... I highly suggest Paperhouse/OhYeah/Mushroom all together. Enjoy!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    yeah this guy knows ^

20. Post #60
    DJK
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,764 Posts
    Ok so I really like what I've heard from Miles Davis but he has so many albums I don't know where to start, could anyone recommend me an album that's a good starting point?

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    Ok so I really like what I've heard from Miles Davis but he has so many albums I don't know where to start, could anyone recommend me an album that's a good starting point?
    I honestly couldn't tell you. None of them were "really good starting points", the idea of the music is to challenge how you can enjoy music.

Saying that, I recommend you go for Bitches Brew, but be aware of its length and make sure you have the time to absorb it. I don't reckon people get it on first listen so that needs time.

That being said, even though I've listened to almost all the albums in his fusion era, I still haven't completely absorbed them like I would hope.

Edited:

On The Corner is probably what I'd call bite-size jazz fusion by Miles. Go for that too.

Edited:

In all honest truth, these albums have probably changed the way I listen to music. They've made it possible for me to feel both peace and euphoria at the same time. Some of it can get really heavy and psychedelic, like "Dark Magus" but his "Get Up With It" is a lot more ambient, hence a big influence on Brian Eno's work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,868 Posts
    Heh, John Zorn is cool. I like some his more oriental works though.
    Personally I'm a fan of his less experimental, more classic jazz arrangements. He has done an amazing work setting up arrangements and directing the musicians to improvise.

His experimental work is a bit too much for my taste.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    in terms of being an extreme avant garde musician, Zorn just goes beyond any expectation.

Listening to Electric Madasa then his grindcore/noise stuff is a pretty surreal experience.

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,012 Posts
    in terms of being an extreme avant garde musician, Zorn just goes beyond any expectation.

Listening to Electric Madasa then his grindcore/noise stuff is a pretty surreal experience.
    Dead city is pretty chaotic to say the least.

Anyway, some Hiromi Uehara(insane piano lady):

XYZ(insane impro over 9)

I got rythm

Time out

25. Post #65

May 2012
    2 Posts
    my stance on jazz fusion is "Miles Davis, now skip the rest"
    That's unfortunate. You're missing out on some really neat stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts

27. Post #67
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    That's unfortunate. You're missing out on some really neat stuff.
    i'm not missing anything, i've heard a lot of jazz fusion just by fishing out stuff from the 99 cent LP sections

even mahavishnu orchestra and return to forever don't do it for me like Miles does
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,868 Posts
    Dead city is pretty chaotic to say the least.

Anyway, some Hiromi Uehara(insane piano lady):

XYZ(insane impro over 9)

I got rythm

Time out
    Dave 'Fuze' Fiuczynski is gotta be one of my favorite jazz guitarists. As much as I like Hiromi, I don't think Fuze shines that much together with her.

Solo about 10 minutes in if you don't want to hear it all.

Edited:

i'm not missing anything, i've heard a lot of jazz fusion just by fishing out stuff from the 99 cent LP sections

even mahavishnu orchestra and return to forever don't do it for me like Miles does
    Personally I don't like Miles in his fusion era. Liked him a lot more back in his classic jazz days in the 50's and 60's.

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    Personally I don't like Miles in his fusion era. Liked him a lot more back in his classic jazz days in the 50's and 60's.
    Traditional is also great. But he was competing then with the likes of Coltrane and Mingus..

by his Fusion years he ruled all.

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,868 Posts
    Traditional is also great. But he was competing then with the likes of Coltrane and Mingus..

by his Fusion years he ruled all.
    You can't really objectively say that he "ruled all" in his fusion era, since people might have different opinions about who they liked the most.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,647 Posts
    You can't really objectively say that he "ruled all" in his fusion era, since people might have different opinions about who they liked the most.
    i don't think anyone will object that miles ruled all. :-)

Edited:

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,012 Posts
    Dave 'Fuze' Fiuczynski is gotta be one of my favorite jazz guitarists. As much as I like Hiromi, I don't think Fuze shines that much together with her.
    For that, you got Screaming headless torsos.

Vinnie

Smile in a wave

Jazz is the teacher

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,036 Posts
    Not sure how much this counts as fusion, but I had no idea where to put it.
    Gordon Goodwin is awesome.

34. Post #74
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts

Sweeet.

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    466 Posts
    I know that the majority of this song is straight Zappa style rock, but there is on interlude that keeps popping up, that I just love so much. It might be from something else, because I am horribly versed in Jazz Fusion, but I just absolutely love it. Happens at about 0:05, 0:34, and 0:58 especially. I realize that it is just chromatic minor 7ths going down (and up on the one at 0:58), but the line is just so great in my opinion.