1. Post #681
    April 2007
    1,245 Posts
    Estonia's doing pretty good on music. The Pop stuff isn't that popular around here, instead, the metal and alternative scenes are strong.

2. Post #682
    September 2011
    308 Posts
    smoke a doobie and listen to blackmill
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #683
    February 2012
    27 Posts
    Music today really isn't worse then the music of older generations, its just something new and different, not crappy. I for one enjoy T-Pains music, he dosen't need autotune its just his signiature effect. Listen to "Drowning Again" and you will notice how good he sounds without autotune.

The only problem I have with music today is what the music industry does to the music, if you listen to a song from the 80's the mastering of the song makes it incredible to listen to, but today the mastering of a song is minimized and sometimes songs are even Re-Mastered which generally worsens the quality. If the industry put more time in the mastering of the songs then I'm certain music today would be far more superior then how we hear it now.

4. Post #684
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,342 Posts

The only problem I have with music today is what the music industry does to the music, if you listen to a song from the 80's the mastering of the song makes it incredible to listen to, but today the mastering of a song is minimized and sometimes songs are even Re-Mastered which generally worsens the quality. If the industry put more time in the mastering of the songs then I'm certain music today would be far more superior then how we hear it now.
    I read some of the history behind this, and apparently, its because studios want their music to sound "loud". And its been a growing trend for several decades, since CD's don't have the same limitations for "loudness" as vinyl did. The average music listener couldn't care less if there is a ton of distortion or the instruments are poorly balanced, they just want it to sound loud. Its not they aren't putting effort into it, they just don't want to do it in the first place.

I sort of noticed that as well. My father has a few CD's from the 80's/early 90's, and they sound vastly better than their "re-mastered" counterparts.

5. Post #685
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,291 Posts
    I read some of the history behind this, and apparently, its because studios want their music to sound "loud". And its been a growing trend for several decades, since CD's don't have the same limitations for "loudness" as vinyl did. The average music listener couldn't care less if there is a ton of distortion or the instruments are poorly balanced, they just want it to sound loud. Its not they aren't putting effort into it, they just don't want to do it in the first place.

I sort of noticed that as well. My father has a few CD's from the 80's/early 90's, and they sound vastly better than their "re-mastered" counterparts.
    you're joking right

6. Post #686
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    Autotune is just another vocal effect. Nothing wrong with it, as long as you use it for expressive reasons.

It's just like how people use vocoder and other effects. This makes them sound robotic, however rarely do people use it in a way where it seems like they're controlling how they sound.
    If that makes sense.

Edited:

you're joking right
    amazingly, he's actually not.

7. Post #687
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,342 Posts
    you're joking right
    Joking in that I'm wrong or joking in that I have no idea what I'm talking about (the latter may be true).

I'm thinking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

8. Post #688
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    Correct. Some music can sound otherwise boring if all the instruments are at the same volume.

It's not the artist or EVEN the producer's fault. It's solely the brainless audio engineers who are lazy to deliver good sound.

Edited:

This is not even about an "audiophile" only discussion. There's clear proof that most remasters are poor.

9. Post #689
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,291 Posts
    Joking in that I'm wrong or joking in that I have no idea what I'm talking about (the latter may be true).

I'm thinking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
    oh i thought you were talking about all music in general. it would make sense that non-lossless formats would suffer great amounts of distortion when being mastered from vinyl into digital. compression is mostly to blame and to praise for this, as if you play a song really loudly at a festival and there's little to no compression, and some elements are flying all over the place it can pierce ears and maybe even damage equipment - while i agree its wholly un-necessary for songs that are played live such as those of metal and rock songs played out during the 80s-90s where drums and vocals were known to pierce through other ends of the music, this cannot be said for most digital music.

10. Post #690
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,488 Posts
    Correct. Some music can sound otherwise boring if all the instruments are at the same volume.

It's not the artist or EVEN the producer's fault. It's solely the brainless audio engineers who are lazy to deliver good sound.

Edited:

This is not even about an "audiophile" only discussion. There's clear proof that most remasters are poor.
    The good ones will blow your mind however.

11. Post #691
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    The good ones will blow your mind however.
    examples.

I've heard good remasters for sure, but prefer originals.

12. Post #692
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,488 Posts
    examples.

I've heard good remasters for sure, but prefer originals.
    Remaster

original

But I'm with you though, I do prefer original versions of stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #693
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    i would have sworn that album isn't even old. But now reading up on it, they re-recorded almost all of it with better equipment.

hardly a normal re-release.

14. Post #694
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,488 Posts
    What's your point?

Edited:

Why am I arguing with you? You know your music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #695
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    no I don't know a whole lot about Meshuggah. :-)

16. Post #696
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,488 Posts
    I meant in general.

17. Post #697
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    also why did this get moved to GD?

now everyone will make deaded38 feel bad. :(

18. Post #698
    November 2007
    7,291 Posts

im amazed everyone hasnt come in here going mad over how much they hate katy perry and justin bieber
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

19. Post #699
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,444 Posts
    im amazed everyone hasnt come in here going mad over how much they hate katy perry and justin bieber
    You forget, this is GD, not Fast Threads

20. Post #700
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    I think people who are afraid to join this arguement are merely shamed that there is no band like "Led Zeppelin" or "Television".
    Yes it's true, there are no bands who can deliver as skilfully as they did in their part, but we need to understand that the times have long changed.
    It's not mainstream for bands to snort coke or do weed. Neither do listeners as a whole really look for something "to get high" to any more. The interest is still high, but there won't be another Frank Sinatra or Freddie Mercury
    or him
    <

I'm at peace with that. Let's move on.

21. Post #701
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,260 Posts

I already got 3 dumbs.

Keep em' coming guys!

22. Post #702
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    I already got 3 dumbs.

Keep em' coming guys!
    That's the only contribution you made to this thread.

23. Post #703
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts

Meh. I really don't know why it got moved. And why would I feel bad lol? People can disagree with me and I won't hold that against them. It's their opinion.

Edited:

Name an artist you like.
    The only genre of music I can specifically name artists from would be country pop. That doesn't mean I dislike every other genre. It just means I mostly listen to country pop. I enjoy the following genres:

SOME classic rock. The old popular bands like Aerosmith, ACDC, etc. for the most part aren't exactly my thing. I enjoy some of their songs, but not most.
    SOME original country. There's a few really good songs out there. For the most part, I'm not a big fan, though.
    SOME classic pop. Again, there's a few good songs out there but I'm not a big fan.
    SOME new pop. Adele is really good. I like her music. It's just some is really bad, like autotune and such.
    Country pop. It's really good for the most part. It isn't all about trucks and beer, contrary to popular belief and it takes good vocal talent. Overall, I like the message, the composition, and the voice.

That's just my opinion. You can call me picky if you want. I'm no denying that.

24. Post #704
    June 2011
    2,948 Posts
    this sounded pretty good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #705
    January 2010
    9,904 Posts
    Meh. I really don't know why it got moved. And why would I feel bad lol? People can disagree with me and I won't hold that against them. It's their opinion.

Edited:

The only genre of music I can specifically name artists from would be country pop. That doesn't mean I dislike every other genre. It just means I mostly listen to country pop. I enjoy the following genres:

SOME classic rock. The old popular bands like Aerosmith, ACDC, etc. for the most part aren't exactly my thing. I enjoy some of their songs, but not most.
    SOME original country. There's a few really good songs out there. For the most part, I'm not a big fan, though.
    SOME classic pop. Again, there's a few good songs out there but I'm not a big fan.
    SOME new pop. Adele is really good. I like her music. It's just some is really bad, like autotune and such.
    Country pop. It's really good for the most part. It isn't all about trucks and beer, contrary to popular belief and it takes good vocal talent. Overall, I like the message, the composition, and the voice.

lmao you don't even try to look for good music

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #706
    November 2007
    7,291 Posts

Edited:

liking music purely for its connotations is like having sex with a prostitute for how meaningful it is

27. Post #707
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts

So there's no style of music you definitely say you really like.

Apart from Country Pop.

Yet you think you think your opinion on hip hop is superior to everyone elses.

28. Post #708
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    So there's no style of music you definitely say you really like.

Apart from Country Pop.

Yet you think you think your opinion on hip hop is superior to everyone elses.
    You'll just do anything to try and make someone look dumb, won't you? I already said I changed my opinion about rap. Don't even try to pull stupid argument because it won't work out for you.

Also, is there really anything wrong with me liking one genre more than others? I think we all do that.

29. Post #709
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    You'll just do anything to try and make someone look dumb, won't you? I already said I changed my opinion about rap. Don't even try to pull stupid argument because it won't work out for you.
    I'm not trying to make you "look dumb". I'm trying to make sense of why you're so tedious to argue with.
    The only conclusion I can come up with is that you hate music. Full stop.

30. Post #710
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    No, I just have different tastes in music. Just because I don't like what you like doesn't mean I'm "not looking for good music".

Edited:

I'm not trying to make you "look dumb". I'm trying to make sense of why you're so tedious to argue with.
    The only conclusion I can come up with is that you hate music. Full stop.
    No. Just no. I love music. I just love different forms of music. Just because I don't like every fucking genre to date like you, doesn't mean I "hate" music.

31. Post #711
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,941 Posts
    No, I just have different tastes in music. Just because I don't like what you like doesn't mean I'm "not looking for good music".
    That's true, what you did with the "lmao that's bad" is what everyone should do.

Edited:

No. Just no. I love music. I just love different forms of music. Just because I don't like every fucking genre to date like you, doesn't mean I "hate" music.
    I didn't say you have to, you just don't need to comment on genres you hate. As in at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #712
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,020 Posts
    I didn't say you have to, you just don't need to comment on genres you hate. As in at all.
    Then I might as well not post in forums if I shouldn't state my opinion. I can kind of see your point, though. My opinions might've seemed hostile, I dunno.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #713
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,604 Posts
    I think people get touchy about their music because of what it represents. The way we connect with music is usually through the emotion being shot through your speakers and into your ears. The emotions are usually strong and when we connect with them we notice how the band is reflecting part of ourselves back at us. We get waaay too close to our music. It's like a kindly old bearded grandfather with vast knowledge from his life who just wants to play his guitar while he passes down what he knows. with a couple of his friends in the back on various other instruments. and he doesn't mind if you smoke in the house.

As for this generation, or any generation making shit music, there's always been shitty music. There's always been people who want the benefits of success without the hardship of labor. Modern day, we've just learned how to take bigger shortcuts to get to success (autotune, over-mixing, loudness war). Personally what I think makes good music is how much time and effort gets put into it. If someone sits down and really really really thinks about what he wants his album or song or whatever to song like and spends all his time getting it to sound just right, it can't really go wrong. Even it turns out to be a totally weird album that makes no sense, it's still a crafted piece of art. You can tell how much time a band or artist puts into an album just as much as you can tell how much time a painter puts into a painting. And that's really what determines a good or a bad song. To me anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #714
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    864 Posts
    I listen to crunkcore and posthardcore.

come at me.

(but seriously, i do listen to that.)

The reason I listen to crunkcore, is not for the lyrics. I don't give a shit if there's a "deep meaning" behind a song. I like what sounds good. I'm not saying I hate songs with good lyrics, I'm just saying I focus more on beats/melodies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #715
    January 2010
    9,904 Posts
    Well it's quite obvious because you obviously know nothing about modern music beyond pop.

36. Post #716
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    I think its safe to say 90% of any kind of creative media is utter shit, you have to root through it to find the good stuff.

37. Post #717
    PIRATE METAL BASTARD
    October 2009
    7,528 Posts
    You don't even have to look for good music. I've seen Mastodon on Music channels before.

Mainstream channels, Kerrang iirc, Know they were on BBC at some point

38. Post #718
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    no-one dumbs my favourite animal collective song!

39. Post #719
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    oh i thought you were talking about all music in general. it would make sense that non-lossless formats would suffer great amounts of distortion when being mastered from vinyl into digital. compression is mostly to blame and to praise for this, as if you play a song really loudly at a festival and there's little to no compression, and some elements are flying all over the place it can pierce ears and maybe even damage equipment - while i agree its wholly un-necessary for songs that are played live such as those of metal and rock songs played out during the 80s-90s where drums and vocals were known to pierce through other ends of the music, this cannot be said for most digital music.
    It has nothing to do with a digital transfer from vinyl. The loudness war is entirely summed up in that link. It began with the switchover to CD as engineers realised they could drive the volume up on a digital format much more than on vinyl, and so began to do so. The result is a mass of compression which removes the peaking and troughing found in naturally dynamic music, causing the entire song to play at the same level which is fine for consistency, but robs each individual instrument it's own breathing space.

This is of course exacerbated by low bitrate files such as MP3s which effectively give you a small fraction of the full frequency bandwidth and chop out much of the originals musicality. You could sum it up as standing in front of your favourite painting in soft, even, sterile light and absorbing every detail, between looking at your favourite painting through a keyhole in a room with disco lights. Sure, certain details will be picked out by the lights, but it's being coloured beyond what the artist likely intended

Edited:

Also people are really fucking naive about autotune. Pick an album from the last 10 years. There's a 95% chance there is pitch correction on the vocals. I mean any album. I can almost guarantee it. Autotune is just another tool used to reach perfection in recorded music because perfection is what is marketable.

Most, if not all of the singers on these albums are immensely talented, and are choosing to use autotune to just give it a little sheen. The only artists where you can tell they're using autotune are the ones where they want you to, because they're using it as an effect

40. Post #720
    February 2012
    27 Posts
    I think its safe to say 90% of any kind of creative media is utter shit, you have to root through it to find the good stuff.
    That's strictly based on opinion. It all depends on the listener.

Its not fair to bag on anyone's musical opinion. Music is out there for everyone to enjoy which is why there is so much out there...

@deaded - maybe so, it seemed like you were throwing down everyone else's musical opinion at first, which obviously turns out not be the case. Like said before we all just get defensive with our musical taste. No one knows everything about music. (Debatable with AK'z)