1. Post #881
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    that pretty much demonstrates that the concept of mainstream is completely bogus.
    pretty much you're just told what is mainstream.

2. Post #882
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts
    hip hop and rnb are not similar

also what is adelle b/c she is none of that

Edited:

so no not at all you can't divide them into categories sorry
    Contemporary RnB nowadays is. You know it to be true.

There are a handful, who are more straight-up and soulful in their style though:

Edited:

It may be a somewhat popular style, but I wouldn't call it main-stream. Look at how Adele took all the
    emmies, or the fact that the billboard consists of Nicki Minaj, Chris Brown, Rihanna, Adele, Whitney Houston, etc.
    That's TV/media. People who are social listen to a LOT more music than the ones who merely watch whose popular.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #883
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,992 Posts
    Music has become better I think, there are new bands and artists for everyone if they just look hard enough. I don't care for how hard music is to make now, I only see it as there are more tools now for artists to use creatively.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #884
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,866 Posts
    I don't get it when people complain that music is too easy to make these days because of new technology. If you're gonna be that anal about it, why don't you just listen to jazz or something? There is more than enough even these days if you look deep enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #885
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,861 Posts
    what!?

if you don't like that you just have 00 taste
    opinions opinions

6. Post #886
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    opinions opinions
    your opinion isn't good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #887
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts
    opinions opinions
    Why don't you like that song?

It's so good.

8. Post #888
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,861 Posts
    this is why music discussions on fp are dumb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #889
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts
    this is why music discussions on fp are dumb
    It's actually quite good on here, if you enjoy hating music then it's all fine for me. :)

10. Post #890
    Ask me about my Zimmerman fetish

March 2005
    3,272 Posts
    I dislike that marvin gaye song, but it doesn't matter. Can't say my opinion sucks if music is nearly entirely subjective to begin with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #891
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts
    I dislike that marvin gaye song.
    Nowhere near his best either, standard motown goodness.

12. Post #892
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,861 Posts
    It's actually quite good on here, if you enjoy hating music then it's all fine for me. :)
    see you are making those stupid assumptions about me because we don't have the same tastes

13. Post #893
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts
    see you are making those stupid assumptions about me because we don't have the same tastes
    ahh cmon I was only kidding. the issue with most of facepunch is that they are far too serious.

I swear if you didn't take music so seriously, you'll learn that everybody is accepting of each others tastes.
    EVEN the extreme ones who like J-Pop and Black Metal.

Relax, discover something new and don't be a bore.

14. Post #894
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Can't say my opinion sucks if music is nearly entirely subjective to begin with.
    see that's where you are wrong hah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #895
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,861 Posts
    ahh cmon I was only kidding. the issue with most of facepunch is that they are far too serious.

I swear if you didn't take music so seriously, you'll learn that everybody is accepting of each others tastes.
    EVEN the extreme ones who like J-Pop and Black Metal.

Relax, discover something new and don't be a bore.
    you are doing this again and again and you don't even realize it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #896
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts
    you are doing this again and again and you don't even realize it
    If you talked a little more about the things you look for in music, then you'd be happier to discuss.

17. Post #897
    February 2012
    746 Posts
    This generation makes shit music. I was listening to the radio and the song "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars came on. Afterwards, the radio host said that the song was originally ASSIGNED to Cee Lo Green but he didn't want it so Mars took it. This is the kind of musical world we live in, where some asshat strings together cliche lyrical shit and ASSIGNS it to an artist. What happened to actual emotion and work put into music? There's no emotion or work involved singing a fucking song someone else came up with. It just goes to show how stupid our generation has become and how the
    big corporate assholes know exactly how to fuck us in the asshole and exactly how to appeal to this brainwashed generation with cliche overused lyrics and with the same fucking musical structures over and over and over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

18. Post #898
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    There's no emotion or work involved singing a fucking song someone else came up with.
    bhahaha
    no
    a lot of the most famous (and greatest) music has been written or at least co-written by other people

19. Post #899
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts
    This generation makes shit music. I was listening to the radio and the song "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars came on. Afterwards, the radio host said that the song was originally ASSIGNED to Cee Lo Green but he didn't want it so Mars took it. This is the kind of musical world we live in, where some asshat strings together cliche lyrical shit and ASSIGNS it to an artist. What happened to actual emotion and work put into music? There's no emotion or work involved singing a fucking song someone else came up with. It just goes to show how stupid our generation has become and how the
    big corporate assholes know exactly how to fuck us in the asshole and exactly how to appeal to this brainwashed generation with cliche overused lyrics and with the same fucking musical structures over and over and over.
    You think what Bruno Mars does with Cee Lo Green represents all of music in the last 10 years?

Edited:

also who cares.

20. Post #900
    September 2011
    97 Posts
    Soul music is the best .

This is by far one of the best soul jams I've found in a while .

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #901
    CP doesn't necessarily have to have a victim, it's just that 99.9% of the time it does. The thing with pedos is that they've been demonized to be horrible no matter what, and I don't think that's the case.
    April 2006
    16,100 Posts

22. Post #902
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,861 Posts
    If you talked a little more about the things you look for in music, then you'd be happier to discuss.
    There is not much I can say, I enjoy hearing drums (real or done by computer) in a fast pace or at least some sort of rythm, most sound produced by any type of guitar I find horrible, I have mixed feelings about vocals, I don't like it when music goes too slow
    that is pretty much what I look for when finding new music and the more 'modern' songs fit these things while the more 'old' songs don't. maybe that clears it up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #903
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts
    Soul music is the best .

This is by far one of the best soul jams I've found in a while .

Someone mentioned to me a while back of how soul music, being that it descended from gospel, was about putting you in a trance state by voice alone. It's a style that is forever mesmorising to hear.

You'd like Sly and the Family Stone.

24. Post #904
    September 2011
    97 Posts
    Not one note wasted . Too many musicians over-play .

Edited:

Someone mentioned to me a while back of how soul music, being that it descended from gospel, was about putting you in a trance state by voice alone. It's a style that is forever mesmorising to hear.

You'd like Sly and the Family Stone.
    I do like Sly . My friend showed me There's a Riot going on and I really enjoyed it . I've been digging for good soul music online for years . I've found a lot of good stuff . My teacher at school actually was the co-producer on Stand.

25. Post #905
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts
    My teacher at school actually was the co-producer on Stand.
    Huh, how's that even fair?

So I'm guessing to know artists like Baby Huey, Millie Jackson, Funkadelic and Stevie Wonder?
    What was it like being taught by him?

26. Post #906
    September 2011
    97 Posts
    Huh, how's that even fair?

So I'm guessing to know artists like Baby Huey, Millie Jackson, Funkadelic and Stevie Wonder?
    What was it like being taught by him?
    He was my teacher for Music Industry 101 or something - it was based around how the business worked and everything . Don Puluse is his name and he's a great man . He worked with Miles Davis too and he had this funny story about him . He said that Miles hated him at first because he had a white-boy afro and Miles was bald . Apparently, Miles was pretty insecure about his hair back then .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #907
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts
    Dammit, you kill me with all these connections.

And here's me being happy to get a youtube comment reply from Marvin Gaye's bassist.

28. Post #908
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,921 Posts
    this has been happening since the beginning of pop music, jesus. it was pretty much all that happened until the 60s came around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #909
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,441 Posts
    hahahha goddamn it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #910
    March 2008
    423 Posts
    Define shit music ?
    Skrillex
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #911
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,544 Posts
    My whole take on this thread:

AK'z doesn't understand english all too well or is just a sperg

32. Post #912
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    Skrillex makes some very, very good music, it's his fans that are idiots.

33. Post #913
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,441 Posts

He takes things out of context.

Edited:

Any particular reason why you think he makes shit music?

34. Post #914
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts

Well if someone brings an actual arguement to this thread, then I'll be happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #915
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,921 Posts
    Well if someone brings an actual arguement to this thread, then I'll be happy.
    People need to get it through their heads that just because they don't enjoy something, doesn't mean it's bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #916
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,861 Posts
    People need to get it through their heads that just because they don't enjoy something, doesn't mean it's bad.
    And how about 'everyone has their own opinion, yours isn't any better'?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #917
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts
    And how about 'everyone has their own opinion, yours isn't any better'?
    statingtheobvious.org

You see, by absorbing different personalities, it will enable to feel other people's pain to express through music.

38. Post #918
    People don't look hard enough but the imposed mainstream is also really shitty

I mean, the mainstream back then was the good stuff, and then you had the bad stuff and some even better stuff buried. Now you have to dig to get to anything passable.
    That also applies to films and videogames.

39. Post #919
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,861 Posts
    statingtheobvious.org

You see, by absorbing different personalities, it will enable to feel other people's pain to express through music.
    maybe if actually read some posts on the previous page and the one before that, you'd understand what I am getting at as well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

40. Post #920
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,627 Posts
    maybe if actually read some posts on the previous page and the one before that, you'd understand what I am getting at as well
    I get a sense that you're happy with what you enjoy now, but are angry at the ones who tell you are inferior because of that.

I'm not too sure what you look for in music still because you were a little vague. But what I'm sure of is that you aren't up for a change.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)