1. Post #721
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    i will music-nerd throw down with Akayz if i have to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #722
    February 2012
    27 Posts
    That would be a great fight to see, indeed.

I would love to attempt to take part, but I only know borders of music.

3. Post #723
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    You won't win though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #724
    February 2012
    746 Posts
    If skrillex wins the kids chocie awards on nickolodeon, i have lost hope for this generation. dat spelling

5. Post #725
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    If skrillex wins the kids chocie awards on nickolodeon, i have lost hope for this generation. dat spelling
    Yeah, never mind all the other people who don't listen to skrillex.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #726
    boy i sure do love it when my title doesnt fit
    December 2009
    6,423 Posts
    You mean you still have some hope for this generation?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #727
    February 2012
    27 Posts
    Skrillex has talent.. in a way... its in his ear though,
    its hard to put sounds together that fit right and especially keep you glued in till the end. That's one of the biggest challenges of making music and Skrillex managed to do it.
    Just, he makes too much remix's of one song.

@Eluveitie - Your name alone, shows you have a great knowledge of music.

8. Post #728
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    You won't win though.
    I showed him James Blake!

9. Post #729
    October 2011
    72 Posts
    There is loads of good music being made now. There was trash music being made 40 years ago. Take off the nostalgia goggles and look around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #730
    December 2009
    307 Posts
    You're not looking hard enough. Honestly though, you don't even have to look that hard at all.
    There are plenty of very talented original acts around.

Rock for instance: Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, The National, etc.

You could probably list dozens of great bands for every type of music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #731
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,247 Posts
    That's the only contribution you made to this thread.
    What's with the attitude? I posted plenty in this thread already. You are like the political assholes who hark at you because you don't talk enough about politics. Calm down man.

Also, what's with the dumbs anyways? Did I not bring up a valid observation?

Edited:

You're not looking hard enough. Honestly though, you don't even have to look that hard at all.
    There are plenty of very talented original acts around.

Rock for instance: Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, The National, etc.

You could probably list dozens of great bands for every type of music.
    This thread isn't about me, it's about people who think that way.

My musical taste suits me well.

12. Post #732
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    That's strictly based on opinion. It all depends on the listener.

Its not fair to bag on anyone's musical opinion. Music is out there for everyone to enjoy which is why there is so much out there...
    That's exactly my point "good" is completely subjective.

13. Post #733
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    Fuck it, there's lots of good music being made right now. Just look at pendulum or Christopher Tin (who just released a new album)

14. Post #734
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts
    You won't win though.
    Nah, I would concede because i have love for thisispain :>

Edited:

Did I not bring up a valid observation?
    No, you made youtube users the basis for your arguement.

15. Post #735
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Nah, I would concede because i have love for thisispain :>
    i on the other hand, am incapable of that emotion love and only understand things expressed through arbitrary decimal scores and Best New *blank* awards.

16. Post #736
    April 2010
    508 Posts
    I think there's some amazing music coming out of the indie, folk and alternative scene right now. It's a shame that club music is clogging our airwaves.

Andy Hull (Manchester Orchestra, Right Away Great Captain!, Bad Books), Caleb Followill (Kings of Leon), Marcus Mumford (Mumford and Sons), Ben Bridwell (Band of Horses), Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) and Sam Beam (Iron & Wine) have amazing voices and most of these guys are lyrical geniuses. I'm actually proud of the music that these guys are making today.

Most of them have epic beards too, maybe the magic is in the beard.

17. Post #737
    April 2007
    1,223 Posts
    Anyone familiar with Amon Tobin? Hypnotic stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #738
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts
    Anyone familiar with Amon Tobin? Hypnotic stuff.
    His Bricolage album is undeniably the best jazz style drum n bass to be heard.

19. Post #739
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Andy Hull (Manchester Orchestra, Right Away Great Captain!, Bad Books), Caleb Followill (Kings of Leon), Marcus Mumford (Mumford and Sons), Ben Bridwell (Band of Horses), Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) and Sam Beam (Iron & Wine)
    ew gross.

at least club music is original and doesn't just copy the old guitar junk

20. Post #740
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    not looking hard enough.

21. Post #741
    April 2010
    508 Posts
    ew gross.

old guitar junk? /facepalm

do me a favour, pick your favourite club song, the one that you think will stand up best to what I think it's the best song from the above listed bands. We'll compare, and then see what's better.

22. Post #742
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts

do me a favour, pick your favourite club song, the one that you think will stand up best to what I think it's the best song from the above listed bands. We'll compare, and then see what's better.
    M.I.A., The Knife and Burial put out better albums than those bands imo. That's just me, if you feel otherwise I wouldn't blame you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #743
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts
    ew gross.

lol guitar junk

24. Post #744
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts

How the fuck are you going to judge what is considered better music?

There is no such thing as music being better than other music.

You know why? Opinions.

Edited:

And they're 2 completely different fucking genres. You don't compare which genre is better.

25. Post #745
    April 2010
    508 Posts
    How the fuck are you going to judge what is considered better music?

There is no such thing as music being better than other music.

You know why? Opinions.
    Hey cool kid, nice language, that fuck really needs to be there right? Gotta show some authority!

I'm defending the fact he thinks it is 'JUNK'. I was going to compare. There are components that make a good song. Exactly, good is loose when it comes to music. Good can be different to anyone. If everyone listened to your "no such thing as music being better than other music" how do they determine grammy awards? etc. -_-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

26. Post #746
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,758 Posts
    Hey cool kid, nice language, that fuck really needs to be there right? Gotta show some authority!

I'm defending the fact he thinks it is 'JUNK'. I was going to compare. There are components that make a good song. Exactly, good is loose when it comes to music. Good can be different to anyone. If everyone listened to your "no such thing as music being better than other music" how do they determine grammy awards? etc. -_-
    Grammy awards are mostly quasi-political bullshit, I wouldn't use them as a judge tbh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #747
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts

Oh no! I used the word fuck!

You know the Grammy awards are a popularity contest right? They don't really give a shit about whether the music is better than the other, which causes a bunch of shit between the fans of the bands that are nominated. They only care about the money. Not whose better than who.

Seriously, no band can be better than another band. One band might appeal to more people than another one does, but that doesn't mean they're better.

And comparing components of songs is taking those components out of context with the song, completely missing the point of the song. You can't compare parts of songs, it's like comparing parts of movies. You're taking that part out of context and saying, "well this is a brilliant example of cinematography" when in fact it only seems like genius with the rest of the movie around it.

28. Post #748
    August 2010
    2,992 Posts

anyone who thinks something of the such of that is junk really has no respect for music in general.
    you may not like it, but it's not junk. i don't like electronic music but i can appreciate effort the better electronic artists put behind the music they make.

29. Post #749
    April 2010
    508 Posts
    Oh no! I used the word fuck!

You know the Grammy awards are a popularity contest right? They don't really give a shit about whether the music is better than the other, which causes a bunch of shit between the fans of the bands that are nominated. They only care about the money. Not whose better than who.

Seriously, no band can be better than another band. One band might appeal to more people than another one does, but that doesn't mean they're better.

And comparing components of songs is taking those components out of context with the song, completely missing the point of the song. You can't compare parts of songs, it's like comparing parts of movies. You're taking that part out of context and saying, "well this is a brilliant example of cinematography" when in fact it only seems like genius with the rest of the movie around it.
    It's exactly like saying no art is better than other art. There is music better than other music. There are paintings better than other paintings. Can you really sit there and tell me that there is no music better than other music?

Try comparing (shamefully using the first examples that came to my head) Rebecca Black's "Friday" to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody". Are they REALLY on the same level?

Art is mainly about creativity. And yes, creativity can certainly be judged and RANKED.

30. Post #750
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,758 Posts
    It's exactly like saying no art is better than other art. There is music better than other music. There are paintings better than other paintings. Can you really sit there and tell me that there is no music better than other music?

Try comparing (shamefully using the first examples that came to my head) Rebecca Black's "Friday" to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody". Are they REALLY on the same level?

Art is mainly about creativity. And yes, creativity can certainly be judged and RANKED.
    I don't like Friday or Bohemian Rhapsody, so yeah in my opinion they are on the same level. In my opinion.

31. Post #751
    April 2010
    508 Posts
    I agree that everyone has different taste and likes different music, that's obvious, you learn that when you are a child. I'm saying that music has a criteria that can determine what makes a successful composition, and therefore it can be ranked. It's about the natural law of what humans receive to be good sound and what they do not.

If you ignore natural laws (I don't even know if that's the right way to word it) you may as well throw away the *idea* of attractive people, successful lives and similar things while you're at it

32. Post #752
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts

Yes I will sit here and tell you that no music is better than other music.

Creativity can be judged and ranked yes. But only by you. Someone else may think what you consider bad to be good, and vice versa. Now Friday was a bad song, but I can almost guarantee you that there is someone out there that liked it, and that makes it just as good as any other song out there because someone enjoys it and considers it good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #753
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts
    I think it's possible for people to relate to other people's enjoyment to certain styles. It's not very difficult, it takes just a little instance for someone to relate to a topic/emotion in music.

34. Post #754
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,758 Posts
    I agree that everyone has different taste and likes different music, that's obvious, you learn that when you are a child. I'm saying that music has a criteria that can determine what makes a successful composition, and therefore it can be ranked. It's about the natural law of what humans receive to be good sound and what they do not.

If you ignore natural laws (I don't even know if that's the right way to word it) you may as well throw away the *idea* of attractive people, successful lives and similar things while you're at it
    my idea of a successful life is one where I sell hash and write a book that doesn't really sell well but people like it and I live in a shitty apartment. My idea of attractive people is different to other people's as well. All those things are subjective so it's not really a good comparison to make dude

35. Post #755
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts

You fundamentally can't compare subjective tastes.

You can compare what you guys consider good and whatnot, but you can't compare whether one is better than the other, because ultimately, you both have different ideas on what is good or not.

36. Post #756
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts

Don't do it man.

Thisispain will actually blow your shit out the water.

Edited:

No it can't.

There are people who would use that definition to declare this as not music.

But they would be wrong, cause music can be defined as any enjoyable sound, and there's people who like harsh noise, drone and fuck I even like the sound of industrial machinery.

37. Post #757
    April 2010
    508 Posts
    Don't do it man.

Thisispain will actually blow your shit out the water.

Edited:

No it can't.

There are people who would use that definition to declare this as not music.

But they would be wrong, cause music can be defined as any enjoyable sound, and there's people who like harsh noise, drone and fuck I even like the sound of industrial machinery.

im pretty sure you just instantly contradicted yourself... unless I am misunderstood

Edited:

anyways, just hit 2am here, I have to wake in 4 hours. I best be off. Nice chatting with you guys.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #758
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts

That's because you're weird.

But I like listening to water, so I'm weird too.

39. Post #759
    October 2011
    72 Posts
    I think there's some amazing music coming out of the indie, folk and alternative scene right now. It's a shame that club music is clogging our airwaves.

Andy Hull (Manchester Orchestra, Right Away Great Captain!, Bad Books), Caleb Followill (Kings of Leon), Marcus Mumford (Mumford and Sons), Ben Bridwell (Band of Horses), Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) and Sam Beam (Iron & Wine) have amazing voices and most of these guys are lyrical geniuses. I'm actually proud of the music that these guys are making today.

Most of them have epic beards too, maybe the magic is in the beard.
    I was with you until Kings of Leon and Mumford and Sons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #760
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    I was with you until our opinions differed
    ftfy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Europe Show Events Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)