800mm Repeating Artillery I, EMP L

Large Trimark Armor Pump I

Hammerhead I x5
    Hammerhead I x5

That's the fit I built. Works with my skillset, and so far I'm loving it. Shrugged off one 0.4 belt rat without even trying, I'm currently flying to -0.2 to try some rats there. Not sure where I'll go after that, I'd love to test it against some sleepers but I don't feel like scanning a WH down at the moment. Refitting the one on Tranq will run me about 43 million or so, from what I can see it'd be a worthy investment for running L4s.

Maybe I just have shit shield tanking skills. Very likely. But for the time being, that ship has 70,000 EHP in-game, whereas the shield tank I'm currently using only has 51,000 EHP, and then only for a couple minutes till the cap drains.

this is the best post i've ever seen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

2. Post #1122
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,036 Posts
    Heh. Any comments on the fit? It's cap stable as long as the AB stays turned off, the booster is only for if I have to try to AB away from something in an emergency.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

3. Post #1123
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    762 Posts
    only problem with it is that there are no resists at all

Edited:

go venture into null and see how well you can tank a (pirate) forsaken hub
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #1124
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,036 Posts
    I was just in a -0.2 testing against belt rats. It held for 7-9 minutes against three rat BSs slinging cruise missiles, far better than the Mael I have on Tranq would have held out. I could have shredded them if I had better targeting skills, they kept jamming me before I could get more than three volleys out, and my drones just sort of sat there orbiting me.

D'oh well.

5. Post #1125
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    762 Posts
    I'll probably try that fit later tonight on sisi if I get to it, it's interesting to say the least

6. Post #1126
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,036 Posts
    I'm liking it so far. Probably will refit on Tranq when I go back to running L4s. I wish I could toss some 1400mm arties on it though, but if I do that, I need to toss two ancillary current routers on, and there goes a good chunk of the tank. Need better powergrid skills.

7. Post #1127
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    [Maelstrom, armor tank]
    Damage Control II
    1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
    1600mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
    Large Armor Repairer I
    Gyrostabilizer II

100MN Afterburner II
    Cap Recharger II
    Cap Recharger II
    Cap Recharger II
    Cap Recharger II
    Heavy Capacitor Booster I, Cap Booster 800

Hammerhead I x5
    Hammerhead I x5

That's the fit I built. Works with my skillset, and so far I'm loving it. Shrugged off one 0.4 belt rat without even trying, I'm currently flying to -0.2 to try some rats there. Not sure where I'll go after that, I'd love to test it against some sleepers but I don't feel like scanning a WH down at the moment. Refitting the one on Tranq will run me about 43 million or so, from what I can see it'd be a worthy investment for running L4s.

Maybe I just have shit shield tanking skills. Very likely. But for the time being, that ship has 70,000 EHP in-game, whereas the shield tank I'm currently using only has 51,000 EHP, and then only for a couple minutes till the cap drains.
    Jesus , just self destruct it and end its pain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #1128
    June 2010
    825 Posts
    this is the best post i've ever seen
    I don't know if I should say anything, given how defensive he gets when someone corrects him when he's wrong, but god damn that fit made me laugh. It would be terrible as a mission ship and it would melt to the first half-decent frigate he came across in PVP.

Learn you some 3\/e sonny, there's them things called resists I hear-tell are mightly important. Also in __e*V*3__ we don't mix active and buffer tanks, it's pointless to do so. If you have an active tank, you don't need the buffer because you're repairing the damage. If you do need the buffer with an active tank, you're not ready to fly the ship. The Maelstrom is not meant to be armor tanked anyway, it's got a shield rep bonus for a reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #1129
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    762 Posts
    would make good bait at least

Edited:

good bait with some bite, even

10. Post #1130
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,036 Posts
    Jesus , just self destruct it and end its pain.
    I don't know if I should say anything, given how defensive he gets when someone corrects him when he's wrong, but god damn that fit made me laugh. It would be terrible as a mission ship and it would melt to the first half-decent frigate he came across in PVP.

Learn you some 3\/e sonny, there's them things called resists I hear-tell are mightly important. Also in __e*V*3__ we don't mix active and buffer tanks, it's pointless to do so. If you have an active tank, you don't need the buffer because you're repairing the damage. If you do need the buffer with an active tank, you're not ready to fly the ship. The Maelstrom is not meant to be armor tanked anyway, it's got a shield rep bonus for a reason.
    How about, instead of acting like smug assholes, you two actually, oh idunno, offer some tips?

Ever think that maybe I react the way I do because you guys prefer to act like smug asshats than actually try to tell me how to improve? If you guys would act like actual human beings for five seconds and tell me "X module boosts Y weak resistance, try that" instead of "LOL YOU'RE AN IDIOT" then maybe A: we'd get along better and B: I wouldn't make 'awful' fits. I'm open to useful tips that might help me improve, but not to dickery and elitism.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11 (list)

11. Post #1131
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    762 Posts
    Also in __e*V*3__ we don't mix active and buffer tanks, it's pointless to do so. If you have an active tank, you don't need the buffer because you're repairing the damage. If you do need the buffer with an active tank, you're not ready to fly the ship. The Maelstrom is not meant to be armor tanked anyway, it's got a shield rep bonus for a reason.
    these look like tips to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

12. Post #1132
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    Oh I offer tips all the time. Just you know, not to people who are also dicks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1133
    "Gold Member"
    Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts
    How about, instead of acting like smug assholes, you two actually, oh idunno, offer some tips?

Ever think that maybe I react the way I do because you guys prefer to act like smug asshats than actually try to tell me how to improve? If you guys would act like actual human beings for five seconds and tell me "X module boosts Y weak resistance, try that" instead of "LOL YOU'RE AN IDIOT" then maybe A: we'd get along better and B: I wouldn't make 'awful' fits. I'm open to useful tips that might help me improve, but not to dickery and elitism.

I don't know how much more helpful sanitarum can be he's like our resident mission whore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #1134
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    762 Posts
    also I don't know if you're just a little tushie terrorized for the moment or you've just been conditioned to think that people disagreeing with you means that they're smug (because facepunch likes that word a lot), but they're not being smug in the least. asshats, sure, that's debatable, but they're telling you that you're doing something wrong rather than rubbing it in your face that you're wrong.

google defines smug as having excessive pride in one's achievements, go ahead and show me where they're being prideful over achievements or anything of the sort and I'll snip this and you can throw all the boxes you want at me until people start calling your fits good.

15. Post #1135
    "Gold Member"
    Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts
    I mean that in the best possible way

16. Post #1136
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,036 Posts
    Oh I offer tips all the time. Just you know, not to people who are also dicks.
    Try offering tips to me instead. You'll find out I get real friendly and don't have to react the way I do when you people post shit like "You're an idiot" "lrn2eve" and "Self destruct it and put it out of it's misery".

these look like tips to me

I don't see any suggestions for modules to look into or skills to train. It just states the obvious. I know it's got shit resists, telling me this just annoys me. I need to know how to remedy those shit resists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

17. Post #1137
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    762 Posts
    tips don't always come in the form of modules or skills to train, sweetiepie

very rarely is it so easy to fix a problem that you just train being good at shield tanking to 5 and you're suddenly elite pvp

18. Post #1138
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,036 Posts
    I don't know how much more helpful sanitarum can be he's like our resident mission whore
    He can start by telling me how to rectify weak resists so I don't have to mix active and buffer tanks anymore. Just stating the obvious does nothing but annoy me.

also I don't know if you're just a little tushie terrorized for the moment or you've just been conditioned to think that people disagreeing with you means that they're smug (because facepunch likes that word a lot), but they're not being smug in the least. asshats, sure, that's debatable, but they're telling you that you're doing something wrong rather than rubbing it in your face that you're wrong.
    It's all the same to me. They're being asshats and at least one of them is acting like they're better than me because they have better fitting skills in a game.

It's not helping me get any better, it's just making me hate them.

Edited:

tips don't always come in the form of modules or skills to train, sweetiepie

Calling me an idiot and stating the blatant obvious does absolutely nothing to help. That's not in any way a useful tip.

19. Post #1139
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    762 Posts
    the major 'tip' that's been somewhat violently flung in your direction is that you don't armour tank a maelstrom.

there are many reasons for this

first of all, it's much easier to fit an active tank with full resists and a strong boost in the medium slots, resulting in, what else, a stronger sustained tank.
    second, if you fill your lows with armour mods, you're not going to have very much damage and you won't be as efficient as you could be.
    ultimately and somewhat most glaringly, the ship has a bonus for shield boosting. if that wasn't your biggest hint that you're doing something wrong, then nothing can help you at this point.

20. Post #1140
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    To be fair shield myrmidons are boss yet it has armor bonuses.

However a mael is not one of those ships.

21. Post #1141
    October 2009
    572 Posts
    [Raven, pro mlg]

425mm Carbide Railgun I, Iron Charge L
    425mm Compressed Coil Gun I, Iridium Charge L
    425mm 'Scout' Accelerator Cannon, Thorium Charge L
    425mm 'Scout' Accelerator Cannon, Antimatter Charge L
    Caldari Navy Cruise Missile Launcher, Defender I
    'Malkuth' Cruise Launcher I, Defender I
    Advanced 'Limos' Heavy Missile Bay I, Eradicator F.O.F. Heavy Missile I
    'Malkuth' Heavy Missile Launcher I, Hydra F.O.F. Heavy Missile I

Large Hull Repairer I
    Large Hull Repairer I
    Large Shield Extender II
    Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
    Posse Invulnerability Field
    M51 Iterative Shield Regenerator

Reinforced Bulkheads I
    Reinforced Bulkheads I
    Reinforced Bulkheads I
    Damage Control II
    Magnetic Field Stabilizer I

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I
    Large Egress Port Maximizer I
    Large Powergrid Subroutine Maximizer I

Berserker SW-900 x3

Maybe I just have shit shield tanking skills. Very likely. But for the time being, that ship has 79,700 EHP in-game, whereas the shield tank I'm currently using only has 51,000 EHP, and then only for a couple minutes till the cap drains.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #1142
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,036 Posts
    the major 'tip' that's been somewhat violently flung in your direction is that you don't armour tank a maelstrom.

there are many reasons for this

first of all, it's much easier to fit an active tank with full resists and a strong boost in the medium slots, resulting in, what else, a stronger sustained tank.
    second, if you fill your lows with armour mods, you're not going to have very much damage and you won't be as efficient as you could be.
    ultimately and somewhat most glaringly, the ship has a bonus for shield boosting. if that wasn't your biggest hint that you're doing something wrong, then nothing can help you at this point.

The one I have on Tranquility is shield tanked. It's got 30,000 less EHP than the armor tanked one I just tinkered with on SiSi, and it will only sustain that tank for all of three minutes before the cap's completely doneskies. I may tinker with a cap booster on it, but right now, it's only good for two or three minutes and then it's six kinds of fucked. The 'shit' mixed buffer/active armor tank is just better than what I can run in a shield tank, and I don't know what skills I need to train and what modules I need to fit to remedy that. So if someone could stop being an arse long enough to tell me what I need to do to get the shield tank up to scratch, that'd be great.

Nearly lost it the day I got it because of that. I took it on an L4 with a couple corpmates, and we shared aggro. I got a few webifier frigs and a warp scrammer on me, along with about a third of the room. So far so good, tanking it just fine, didn't need to turn the shield booster on. Then one of my corpies accidentally disabled the wireless card on his laptop, which caused him to warp out of the room. The second was forced to warp out after the third he had switched aggro. That left the ENTIRE room on me. So I turned the large shield booster on, and it shrugged the room off....right up till the cap died about 2 minutes later. And then it started melting.

I lucked out and managed to nail the warp scrammer frig with the 1400s, got out of there with 10% structure left.

Edited:

<snipped asshattery>

You're not helping at all.

23. Post #1143
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    The one I have on Tranquility is shield tanked. It's got 30,000 less EHP than the armor tanked one I just tinkered with on SiSi, and it will only sustain that tank for all of three minutes before the cap's completely doneskies.
    WAIT WAIT DONT TELL ME.

X-Large booster?

24. Post #1144
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    762 Posts
    link your shield fit please
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #1145
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,036 Posts
    WAIT WAIT DONT TELL ME.

X-Large booster?
    No, I didn't put a capital class booster on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

26. Post #1146
    October 2009
    572 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

27. Post #1147
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,036 Posts
    link your shield fit please

I'm not sure why I'm even bothering, I'm just going to get trolled to the moon and back, but here it is.

[Maelstrom, lol]
    Gyrostabilizer II
    Tracking Enhancer II
    Tracking Enhancer II
    Gyrostabilizer II
    Gyrostabilizer II

Cap Recharger II
    Sensor Booster I, Targeting Range
    Tracking Computer I, Tracking Speed
    Large Shield Booster I
    Cap Recharger II
    100MN Afterburner II

1400mm Prototype Siege Cannon, EMP L
    [empty high slot]

[empty rig slot]
    [empty rig slot]
    [empty rig slot]

It's unrigged because the rigs I need to use eight 1400mms cost a fortune.

To be perfectly honest I'm just as likely to fucking sell it and get a Typhoon than even bother trying to make it work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #1148
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    No, I didn't put a capital class booster on it.
    Gee... You think with the ton of PG capitals have an X-L booster would use more than 500.

29. Post #1149
    October 2009
    572 Posts
    You're not helping at all.
    How about this? I basically used my brain and went to battleclinic and looked up maelstrom fits. Then I replaced the mods I'm positive you can't use yet. Anything else you can't use replace with a meta 4 mod. I don't see how doing this is very hard and how you can possibly come up with the rubbish you're posting here.

[Maelstrom, fit this you retard]

800mm Heavy 'Scout' Repeating Artillery I

Optical Tracking Computer I
    Invulnerability Field II
    Invulnerability Field II
    Explosion Dampening Field II
    Heavy Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Cap Booster 800
    X-Large C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I

Tracking Enhancer II
    Tracking Enhancer II
    Gyrostabilizer II
    Gyrostabilizer II
    Gyrostabilizer II

Large Core Defence Capacitor Safeguard I
    Large Projectile Burst Aerator I
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #1150
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    Pssssst. Use the x-l only when you have a decent amount of damage or otherwise it will fuck your cap.

Good luck, fly safe.

31. Post #1151
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,036 Posts
    How about this? I basically used my brain and went to battleclinic and looked up maelstrom fits. Then I replaced the mods I'm positive you can't use yet. Anything else you can't use replace with a meta 4 mod. I don't see how doing this is very hard and how you can possibly come up with the rubbish you're posting here.

[Maelstrom, fit this you retard]

Optical Tracking Computer I
    Invulnerability Field II
    Invulnerability Field II
    Explosion Dampening Field II
    Heavy Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Cap Booster 800
    X-Large C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I

Tracking Enhancer II
    Tracking Enhancer II
    Gyrostabilizer II
    Gyrostabilizer II
    Gyrostabilizer II

Large Projectile Burst Aerator I

If you'd have done this 20 minutes ago we wouldn't have had any conflict. Geez.

I'll make a note of it. I'm probably just going to sell the mael anyway, but if I keep it I'll look into using this.

Also, next time, I'm just asking my corpies. You guys are too damn hostile to bother asking for help from in the future. I'll just lol a bit at ya'll's exploits and maybe share the odd killmail here and there, but honestly, trying to get any help from you guys is like poking Goonswarm with a stick and trying to escape intact.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #1152
    June 2010
    825 Posts
    Also, next time, I'm just asking my corpies. You guys are too damn hostile to bother asking for help from in the future. I'll just lol a bit at ya'll's exploits and maybe share the odd killmail here and there, but honestly, trying to get any help from you guys is like poking Goonswarm with a stick and trying to escape intact.
    You do realize it's your fault, don't you? You were the one talking shit because Tarkin told you not to spell EVE as EvE. You made a big fucking deal out of nothing (and you continue even now to do it just out of spite because you got called on your mistake), you made a shitty first impression and continued to be hostile to people, so we generally don't like you. How many different people have to tell you to stop being a dick for you to realize it's a problem on your end?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #1153
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,045 Posts
    Test- just to avoid further confusion, active reps don't affect the EHP. EHP is raw hit points. So your Mael on TQ had less EHP but was still a better fit.

Edited:

also tl;dr to 95% of your posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #1154
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,995 Posts
    So it turns out that buffer plate fits with no resists for mission running and ratting are bad. Discuss?

Also: it's really easy to get help here. Just ask questions like "What is a basic fit for XXX for the XXX hull with my XXX skills?" I thought it was a trollpost at first, since most people would do a bit of research rather than the route you took. A few quick searches on battleclinic, eveo forums, etc. would point you in the general direction of a good basic fitting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #1155
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,986 Posts
    Pssssst. Use the x-l only when you have a decent amount of damage or otherwise it will fuck your cap.

Good luck, fly safe.
    i disagree - pulsing an x-l gives you a better burst tank, and has the same cap/hp efficiency as a large for the sustained tanking.

unless you are trying to permarun an x-l, that's just silly.

edit: also, on the subject of TesTeCulL versus the world, you can't really blame other people for the hostility towards you considering how much of an asshat you made yourself out to be on the 2nd page.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #1156
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,106 Posts
    i disagree - pulsing an x-l gives you a better burst tank, and has the same cap/hp efficiency as a large for the sustained tanking.
    That is exactly what I said. Just different wording.

Only extreme carebears permarun x-ls

37. Post #1157
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,986 Posts
    That is exactly what I said. Just different wording.
    it seemed to me you were implying the only time you should use x-l boosters is when you have enough dps to kill everything before you cap out (as x-l boosters use more cap per cycle), which is what disagree with.

swap out a large for an x-l on any ship (that can fit it) and you will have an equal or better sustained tank, and a greater reinforced tank.

in my opinion, the only time you should not use an x-l instead of large, is if it simply doesn't fit, or if you need cap stability to account for a bad connection.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #1158
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,785 Posts

The number one way to bolster your resists is to fit hardeners or resistance plating onto your ship. Or use rigs to fill in resistance gaps.

I'd just like to point out that if you're flying a battleship and do not know this, you should not be flying a battleship. Or any ship for that matter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

39. Post #1159
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #1160
    July 2008
    2,487 Posts
    This is what i use on my maelstrom for C3 sleepers

[Maelstrom]
    Gyrostabilizer II
    Gyrostabilizer II
    Capacitor Flux Coil II
    Capacitor Flux Coil II
    Capacitor Flux Coil II

Invulnerability Field II
    Invulnerability Field II
    Invulnerability Field II
    X-Large Shield Booster II
    Shield Boost Amplifier I
    Shield Boost Amplifier I

1200mm Heavy 'Scout' Artillery I

Hammerhead II
    Warrior II

You can switch out the 1200's for 800'scouts' depending on what kind of range you feel like engaging at.