1. Post #41
    February 2010
    1,508 Posts
    Are you using the 4GB SDHC card for the storage? I don't think the motherboard has a port for it. EDIT: Nope, it doesn't, but you can use a flash drive for everything.

Edited:

It shouldn't, I used a 1920x1080 with VGA for over a year without issue.
    The SDHC card was just thrown in as a freebie if you buy the RAM. Guessing it's a G.Skill promo going on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,832 Posts
    Ah goddamnit, looked online turns out the max resolution is 1440 x 900. CCC why did you lie to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,615 Posts
    Trying to download prime95 from mersenne, itll start out strong then quickly dip into sub-20kb/s and sub-1kb/s speeds, demanding 51mins+ of dl time for a 3.7MB file, the fuck?

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    910 Posts
    Is there anything I can do to improve my router?

It is a linksys wrt54gs v2.1 on 4.71.4 firmware.

I heard talk about something called tomato and ddwrt. Can anyone explain how I will benefit from these and which one is better?

5. Post #45
    DSG
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2009
    5,953 Posts
    Why would my computer be running really really slowly when I have pretty good components that shouldn't be making boot-ups and shit take around 5 minutes? Here's my basic stuff:

Intel i5-760 cooled by a Corsair H70
    EVGA P55 Classified 200 Motherboard
    EVGA GTX 570
    4x4GB G.Skill RAM
    1TB Western Digital HDD
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I've had this computer for just over a year now but haven't used it for a whole month, but I wouldn't thinking not turning it on for a month would make it so slow. How would I make my computer run at normal speeds again?

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,615 Posts
    Try these:
    Defrag
    Download and install CCleaner, run the registry scanner/cleaner and see what that finds
    In CCleaner go to Tools > Startup and see what your computer is launching on boot
    Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run a full scan and see if it picks up anything fishy

Many CPUs will automatically downclock themselves if there is a heat problem so i would check the temps with hwmonitor and if they're really high i'd reapply the thermal poo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,770 Posts
    I now have a dual monitor setup, so I have a question:
    Let's say I have a game running full screen on my primary monitor, and a web browser or something open on my secondary monitor. Is there a way to go to the secondary screen without making the game minimizing and thus glitching the hell up?
    Run the game in a borderless window if possible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

8. Post #48

November 2010
    510 Posts
    Is there anything I can do to improve my router?

It is a linksys wrt54gs v2.1 on 4.71.4 firmware.

I heard talk about something called tomato and ddwrt. Can anyone explain how I will benefit from these and which one is better?
    If you have to ask that question, you won't benefit in anyway from changing the firmware. Not trying to be a dick, just saying. Those open source firmwares are there to give specific features. They're also a pain in the ass to install.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

9. Post #49
    October 2009
    393 Posts
    Would a Win power ATX 450w with 20A on the 12V rail be sufficient for an HD5670 1Gb?

Also, is an HD5670 1GB a worthy improvement over a 9500GT 1GB?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,999 Posts
    Would a Win power ATX 450w with 20A on the 12V rail be sufficient for an HD5670 1Gb?
    It would most certainly run, but it wouldn't be a massive upgrade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2010
    1,111 Posts
    I now have a dual monitor setup, so I have a question:
    Let's say I have a game running full screen on my primary monitor, and a web browser or something open on my secondary monitor. Is there a way to go to the secondary screen without making the game minimizing and thus glitching the hell up?
    welcome to dual monitor hell.

well there is a solution for source engine games, reply if you want to know how to do that with source engine

e.g gmod,TF2, CSS, CS:GO and all of them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Estonia Show Events

12. Post #52
    October 2009
    393 Posts

Ok, same question but with a HD 5770 1GB?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #53
    February 2010
    1,508 Posts
    Okay, why the hell does my laptop battery die so fast? I bought it in July and I rarely over charge it. When I do charge it, I wait for the battery to reach about 3%. It's always died fast though, I thought I might have to break it in and get a few cycles out of it, but it just dies in a heartbeat. There's really no point in having a laptop if you can only get an hour's use out of it. I'm even running on a profile where most of my Windows services are disabled and I only use internet (Google Chrome). There is absolutely nothing else running on it..

I've thought about purchasing a new / better battery, but I don't know what that will do for me. I was fixing a Toshiba laptop for someone the other day and it seemed to use many more resources than mine and was even larger and it was at 22% battery life with nearly 2 hours until it died. I'm at 54% with 1 hour 17 mins left and it rapidly decreases.

I don't know if I need to cycle my battery or what's going on, but I have the right mind to purchase a new one with a longer life. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hate not being able to use my laptop when it's unplugged.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2010
    1,111 Posts
    Okay, why the hell does my laptop battery die so fast? I bought it in July and I rarely over charge it. When I do charge it, I wait for the battery to reach about 3%. It's always died fast though, I thought I might have to break it in and get a few cycles out of it, but it just dies in a heartbeat. There's really no point in having a laptop if you can only get an hour's use out of it. I'm even running on a profile where most of my Windows services are disabled and I only use internet (Google Chrome). There is absolutely nothing else running on it..

I've thought about purchasing a new / better battery, but I don't know what that will do for me. I was fixing a Toshiba laptop for someone the other day and it seemed to use many more resources than mine and was even larger and it was at 22% battery life with nearly 2 hours until it died. I'm at 54% with 1 hour 17 mins left and it rapidly decreases.

I don't know if I need to cycle my battery or what's going on, but I have the right mind to purchase a new one with a longer life. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hate not being able to use my laptop when it's unplugged.
    try to calibrate it, it might just be windows shutting down because it thinks the battery is really low, when it isn't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

15. Post #55
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,974 Posts
    If you have to ask that question, you won't benefit in anyway from changing the firmware. Not trying to be a dick, just saying. Those open source firmwares are there to give specific features. They're also a pain in the ass to install.
    Not really. They're more stable and are pretty easy to install, you just have to make sure you are getting the correct firmware.

Edited:

Ah goddamnit, looked online turns out the max resolution is 1440 x 900. CCC why did you lie to me
    It didn't lie, it told you the maximum supported res, not the monitors native resolution.

16. Post #56

August 2011
    37 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events

17. Post #57
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,974 Posts

18. Post #58

August 2011
    37 Posts
    Great, thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events

19. Post #59
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,999 Posts
    Ok, same question but with a HD 5770 1GB?
    Yes that would work, and would be an improvement that you will notice over a 9500GT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    DSG
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2009
    5,953 Posts
    Try these:
    Defrag
    Download and install CCleaner, run the registry scanner/cleaner and see what that finds
    In CCleaner go to Tools > Startup and see what your computer is launching on boot
    Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run a full scan and see if it picks up anything fishy

Many CPUs will automatically downclock themselves if there is a heat problem so i would check the temps with hwmonitor and if they're really high i'd reapply the thermal poo
    I'm not a noob, I have all those programs and use them regularly (not defrag though because defragging regularly is fucking stupid).

My idle CPU temp is like 40 though, which I don't think is that good considering the H70 should be doing better than that.... Could that be it?

21. Post #61
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    5,092 Posts
    The cooling fan on my laptop appears to have kicked the bucket, anyone have any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

22. Post #62
    July 2010
    565 Posts
    I'm not a noob, I have all those programs and use them regularly (not defrag though because defragging regularly is fucking stupid).

My idle CPU temp is like 40 though, which I don't think is that good considering the H70 should be doing better than that.... Could that be it?
    Honestly, the first thing i would do is reseat everything if there's no obvious software/OS problem.

-Reapply thermal paste
    -Reseat RAM and make sure you're using the correct modules
    -Make sure you have a good air flow with the direction of all your fans
    -Reconnect your PSU cords to their respective locations

It is possible during the down-time, and any possible tower-moving that something got knocked loose.
    If none of this works, I would back up your neccessary documents/music and clear the harddrive for a fresh OS install.

The cooling fan on my laptop appears to have kicked the bucket, anyone have any suggestions?
    Not too savvy with laptops, but Im sure depending on your manufacturer and the model, you can replace it.

23. Post #63
    October 2009
    393 Posts
    Yes that would work, and would be an improvement that you will notice over a 9500GT
    Thanks for the help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,482 Posts
    Okay so everything works flawlessly except Battlefield 3. It crashes randomly(usually within a few minutes) no matter what settings I use. I have no idea what to do and it's driving me insane.

25. Post #65
    April 2010
    2,543 Posts
    On face punch what is the correct format for the Google+ field?

I cant find my "URL"

26. Post #66
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,974 Posts
    On face punch what is the correct format for the Google+ field?

I cant find my "URL"
    click your name / go to your wall

27. Post #67
    April 2010
    2,543 Posts
    click your name / go to your wall
    Found it thanks

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,226 Posts
    So for 3 threads running we still have that annoying grammar issue?
    "Quick Questions that does not Deserve a Thread"

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a new build but I hear Ivy bridge is coming out soon. Since I didn't care much about CPU prices around when sandy bridge came out, could anyone tell me what kind of price drop I can expect on the current sandy bridge CPUs, if any?

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    February 2010
    1,508 Posts
    try to calibrate it, it might just be windows shutting down because it thinks the battery is really low, when it isn't
    Not exactly sure how to do that. I don't see any option to do that in BatteryCare. I shall look around.

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,959 Posts
    I've been considering upgrading recently up from my now 2+ year old rig, my current spec is: Phenom II x4 940, 4GB DDR2, ATi 5850, 2x1TB blah blah. Would it be a good idea to upgrade now, or to wait for the new Intel CPU's/Nvidia/AMD GPU's come out later this year? It's gonna be primarily for games, as I have a work PC for any heavy stuff.

31. Post #71

November 2010
    510 Posts
    Not really. They're more stable and are pretty easy to install, you just have to make sure you are getting the correct firmware.

Edited:

It didn't lie, it told you the maximum supported res, not the monitors native resolution.
    I'm going off my experience trying to get DDWRT onto a crappy WRT54G V6, and it sucked balls. It didn't even end up working right after the flash and I ended up buying a new router. With a better router I'm sure it would be easier, but still, I don't see the point, unless you really need features of a higher end router.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    20,999 Posts
    Wait for Ivy, perhaps, but sandy should do for now, and wait for the next GPU series and get the current at a smaller price.

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,258 Posts
    My sister's laptop's battery port won't charge unless the cord is bent at a sharp angle, I opened it up but I honestly don't know what to do.
    Is there anything I can do?

34. Post #74
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,793 Posts
    My sister's laptop's battery port won't charge unless the cord is bent at a sharp angle, I opened it up but I honestly don't know what to do.
    Is there anything I can do?
    You need to determine if it is the plug or the socket that has an intermittent connection.

Looking at the DC socket's solder joints within the laptop will usually instantly show that socket is to blame, though in some cases the damage can be internal to the socket and not immediately obvious. If it is just the solder joint usually just reflowing them by heating with a soldering iron is enough to get it going.

If you have a multimeter you might (I say might because some Dell supplies actually have 3 pins and need a load to power up) be able to attach it to the output from the power supply and wiggle the cable around relative to the plug and see if the reading changes. (You can also use a suitable LED and resistor combination)

Beyond that it's just common sense :s

35. Post #75

June 2011
    492 Posts
    welcome to dual monitor hell.

well there is a solution for source engine games, reply if you want to know how to do that with source engine

e.g gmod,TF2, CSS, CS:GO and all of them

TELL ME NAO!

Damn, you don't even know how much this will help.

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,148 Posts
    I have fucking had it with this piece of shit GTX 470. Fuck this stupid thing. Can anyone recommend a NON NVIDIA card that's equal or better than this pile of shit?

37. Post #77

November 2010
    510 Posts
    I have fucking had it with this piece of shit GTX 470. Fuck this stupid thing. Can anyone recommend a NON NVIDIA card that's equal or better than this pile of shit?
    And it's a pile of shit how...?

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,148 Posts
    it's been nothing but a burden since I got it.

It literally hasn't ever worked right. It constantly locks up, i lose all output from it, it runs way too fucking hot, it can't even play youtube videos anymore without locking up my system. It's dying after 6 months in my tower. What a fucking joke.

39. Post #79
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    15,974 Posts

It literally hasn't ever worked right. It constantly locks up, i lose all output from it, it runs way too fucking hot, it can't even play youtube videos anymore without locking up my system. It's dying after 6 months in my tower. What a fucking joke.
    so RMA it or just remove the heatsink and reapply thermal paste because it's probably overheating.

40. Post #80

November 2010
    510 Posts

Then it was just defective, relax. It happens to every manufacturer/brand. I still have two GTX 470's that have been working perfectly for over a year and a half.