1. Post #561
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    Alright here's a much better version of the dynamic flash visualizer I made, with an actual dubstep track that I also made. With dubstep it's alot more beat-aware and looks better.

HD THAT SHIT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

2. Post #562
    italian
    June 2011
    2,645 Posts
    Alright I made this actionscript/flash visualizer for videos that i'll be publishing on Stepdub:

As you can see, it's dynamic and reacts to the beat.

Any improvements I can make on it?

Uploading a better test video
    Why not make it using html?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #563
    I paid $2 for this
    October 2010
    791 Posts
    It doesn't look as flashy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

4. Post #564
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    Because the videos have to go onto Youtube.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events

5. Post #565
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    540 Posts
    Does anyone know why when using SimpleXML my page takes up to 21 seconds to finish loading? I'm trying to get the current state of Steam users using Steams profile XML and when I test it locally it takes a second or two to finish loading. When I upload it to my Directspace VPS I get a loading time of 20ish seconds, it's only this page however. I've never used XML before and I found a tutorial on some website and I've been using that (I'm probably doing it wrong).

<?php
    $source = "http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197996055158?xml=1";

$sitemap = new SimpleXMLElement($source,null,true);

echo $sitemap->stateMessage;

?>

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

6. Post #566
    Airport Dweller
    October 2005
    1,201 Posts
    May be interesting to some of you lot here, but I've got a work placement at a comprehensive school as part of my degree, and the project they want me to undertake is to find ways to intergrate their custom VLE into day-to-day classroom activities, then implement them.

I'm looking forward to starting it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #567
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,776 Posts
    he probably said that to make you feel better or something. I mean seriously... look at that thing.

Yeah man i get ya.

Just a heads up for outraged webproz~~

-was forced into the class b/c everything else was full
    -didnt know i was forced into the class until 2nd semester started
    -class is a joke, 100's errbody errday
    -i have no interest in a web design career (although with my excellent track record maybe i should consider it : ) )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #568
    October 2011
    205 Posts
    -snarp'd-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #569
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    You've gotta watch this, best geek video I've seen in a long time. It highlights some quirks of Ruby and JavaScript while being hilarious at the same time: https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat
    Javascript may have its quirks but at least those quirks are well understood and documented in the specification.

I'm quite proud that my JS interpreter handles those quirks correctly!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

10. Post #570
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,628 Posts
    Does anyone know why when using SimpleXML my page takes up to 21 seconds to finish loading? I'm trying to get the current state of Steam users using Steams profile XML and when I test it locally it takes a second or two to finish loading. When I upload it to my Directspace VPS I get a loading time of 20ish seconds, it's only this page however. I've never used XML before and I found a tutorial on some website and I've been using that (I'm probably doing it wrong).
    Well, I've used SimpleXML to parse API files before and it's not remarkably fast, results can vary depending on your VPS setup, file I/O speeds, net speeds and other VPS or hardware related problems.

You might be better off storing the XML data in SQL and updating it with a cron job every so often, it would reduce page-load times for whoever is using your site and you can update it at whatever interval you want.

11. Post #571
    Self-Boosting Retard
    February 2010
    1,241 Posts
    Well, I've used SimpleXML to parse API files before and it's not remarkably fast, results can vary depending on your VPS setup, file I/O speeds, net speeds and other VPS or hardware related problems.

You might be better off storing the XML data in SQL and updating it with a cron job every so often, it would reduce page-load times for whoever is using your site and you can update it at whatever interval you want.
    I have a similar stream page implemented using PHP, though I decided that since XML tools are annoying compared to good ol' json_decode() I grabbed a Steam API key and used the API.

Mine also caches, by writing the json data to a file and using filemtime() to check when it was last written, updates every five minutes only if the stream page is called too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

12. Post #572
    November 2011
    482 Posts

Any specific pointers on how to make this not look as bad? I have no formal web design experience and have to make a website.
    I think it looks quite nice. Maybe experiment with some different fonts (Google web fonts are awesome!) Also, the navigation bar at the top is a bit too small and looks quite out of place. Also, there's quite a bit of artifacting occuring on the sticky notes (Especially below the green ones). A bit of Photoshopping should fix that up. Keep at it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #573
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    http://coobi.netne.net/pt/ what do you think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events

14. Post #574
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    It's a start, I guess. My first reaction was "eww". I find the colour scheme horrible, the site logos really don't fit (Maybe grey them out or something), the top navigation bar idea is cool, but it's horrible when they overlap. Also, add a timeout or something for the logos at the top, you can't reach them before they disappear, it's pointless. Maybe add some padding to the navigation glass image, I think it's too close to the side. Good work with the coding though!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #575
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    It's a start, I guess. My first reaction was "eww". I find the colour scheme horrible, the site logos really don't fit (Maybe grey them out or something)
    You mean the site logos on the bottom? I think the colour scheme is pretty sweat thou.

the top navigation bar idea is cool, but it's horrible when they overlap.
    They overlap? Please tell me how, a print would be nice...

Also, add a timeout or something for the logos at the top, you can't reach them before they disappear, it's pointless. Maybe add some padding to the navigation glass image, I think it's too close to the side. Good work with the coding though!
    Tell me your screen resolution btw...

16. Post #576
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    You mean the site logos on the bottom? I think the colour scheme is pretty sweat thou.

They overlap? Please tell me how, a print would be nice...

Tell me your screen resolution btw...
    Maybe not the colour scheme, I think it looks okay at the second glance, but as you requested.

Overlapping: http://i.imgur.com/jpYK6.png
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #577
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    I think i got it! Test if they overlap or disappear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Portugal Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

18. Post #578
    November 2011
    482 Posts
    I think i got it! Test if they overlap or disappear.
    Working perfectly! Good work.

19. Post #579
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    Remove the top tabs they're too distracting.

Also set #midblack { position: absolute; top: 50%; margin-top: -125px; }

And make .search_info_sites { opacity: 0.25; position: absolute; left: 50%; margin-left: -314px; }

Much nicer IMO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

20. Post #580
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,446 Posts
    What's the point of the links to the search site when you are supposed to search from CooBi?
    Just wondering :P

Anyways, I love the design on the #midblack :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

21. Post #581
    October 2011
    205 Posts
    I think it looks quite nice. Maybe experiment with some different fonts (Google web fonts are awesome!) Also, the navigation bar at the top is a bit too small and looks quite out of place. Also, there's quite a bit of artifacting occuring on the sticky notes (Especially below the green ones). A bit of Photoshopping should fix that up. Keep at it!
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #582
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,628 Posts
    I have a similar stream page implemented using PHP, though I decided that since XML tools are annoying compared to good ol' json_decode() I grabbed a Steam API key and used the API.

Mine also caches, by writing the json data to a file and using filemtime() to check when it was last written, updates every five minutes only if the stream page is called too.
    that's fine too, but caching the data during page load can cause some problems for users in certain situations, most of the time a cron job is superior because it doesn't effect the user's page load times.

For example if your server has some trouble connecting to the API server or there's an error in their output for whatever reason, it won't result in PHP errors on the page or long load times since it'll have to wait for the timeout if it's unable to reach the api server.

23. Post #583
    March 2011
    936 Posts
    Remove the top tabs they're too distracting.

Also set #midblack { position: absolute; top: 50%; margin-top: -125px; }

And make .search_info_sites { opacity: 0.25; position: absolute; left: 50%; margin-left: -314px; }

Much nicer IMO.
    Why would i remove the top tabs? They change the search.
    Why the css change in #midblack though? The opacity i will see....

What's the point of the links to the search site when you are supposed to search from CooBi?
    Just wondering :P

Anyways, I love the design on the #midblack :D
    I really don't know. People do crazy stuff! -more serious- e.g. You can search on facebook, flickr, twitter, ect. but what you really want to just visit the homepage and do some stuff there and BAM left click on logos instead of searching or go to the sites page!

24. Post #584
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    Why the css change in #midblack though? The opacity i will see....
    Centering.

Makes it actually be exactly in the middle from the top + sides instead of being 'sort-of' there but not really like it is at the moment.

Like, your google, yahoo and bing logos are wayyyyyyy to the left, and the midblack itself is far too high, it's like a disturbance in the force.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #585
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,446 Posts
    I really don't know. People do crazy stuff! -more serious- e.g. You can search on facebook, flickr, twitter, ect. but what you really want to just visit the homepage and do some stuff there and BAM left click on logos instead of searching or go to the sites page!
    In that case, I think the logos are a bit to big. It's just links not BooBis Logo

26. Post #586
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    You should make use of the placeholder attribute. Blank inputs are scary
    I noticed you added some placeholders but just so you know you can style them in Safari, Chrome and Firefox4+:

Code:
    input::-webkit-input-placeholder,
    textarea::-webkit-input-placeholder {
      color: #eee;
    }
    input:-moz-placeholder,
    textarea:-moz-placeholder {
      color: #eee;
    }
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #587
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    more php-internals drama, following the drama about the suhosin patch:

Hello,

I think current events show how important it is to make this case publicly known.

On Dec 6th 2005 PHP got a partial protection against HTTP response splitting. A security mitigation == Security Patch == important

The commit is here: http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-sr...0124&r2=202220

Code:
    569	 /* new line safety check */
    570	 {
    571	 char *s = header_line, *e = header_line + header_line_len, *p;
    572	 while (s < e && (p = memchr(s, '\n', (e - s)))) {
    573	 if (*(p + 1) == ' ' || *(p + 1) == '\t') {
    574	 s = p + 1;
    575	 continue;
    576	 }
    577	 efree(header_line);
    578	 sapi_module.sapi_error(E_WARNING, "Header may not contain more then a single header, new line detected.");
    579	 return FAILURE;
    580	 }
    581	 }
    As you can see the code checks for \n and only allows it if it followed by whitespace to protect against header injections.
    Now fast forward to 2011/2012 the PHP developers get a security bug report that this protection is not sufficient, because browsers are too allowing.

https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=60227

You can see that this bug is not marked as some kind of security bug, although it is reported as security bug.

This results in the following code being changed in PHP see (http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-sr...34&r2=322263):

Code:
    592	 /* new line safety check */
    593	 char *s = header_line, *e = header_line + header_line_len, *p;
    594	 while (s < e && ((p = memchr(s, '\n', (e - s))) || (p = memchr(s, '\r', (e - s))))) {
    595	 if (*(p + 1) == ' ' || *(p + 1) == '\t') {
    596	 s = p + 1;
    597	 continue;
    Keep in mind this is a security fix/improvement. So one would expect this to get reviewed. But it is obviously not reviewed, because any \r before the last \n won't be checked.
    So bypassing this is easy as \rSet-Cookie: XXX=YYY; \r \n blah

So I point this obvious flaw out several times, yesterday on the internals mailinglist in public infront of everyone.
    But instead of someone from the security team taking action just some guy gets going and patching it.

The commit is here: http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-sr...1634&r2=323033
    Best thing about this commit is the commit message:

- Hopefully correct fix for bug #60227.
    #No commit for 5.4 for now

From the commit message it seems obvious that the guy commiting it is not really sure that he fixed anything. Not a good way to handle a security fix/improvement.
    But it gets better: without review this code is now merged from Trunk into PHP 5.3

So the new code looks like this:

Code:
    714	 char *s = header_line;
    715	 while (s = strpbrk(s, "\n\r")) {
    716	 if (s[1] == ' ' || s[1] == '\t') {
    717	 /* RFC 2616 allows new lines if followed by SP or HT */
    718	 s++;
    719	 continue;
    720	 }
    well lets look a bit further:

Code:
    727	 sapi_header.header = header_line;
    728	 sapi_header.header_len = header_line_len;
    Now the educated reader might think: Wait a second! There is a header_line_len? So maybe that header_line can contain NUL bytes. Wait… that security check is using a string function that will stop at a NUL byte.
    And then maybe the person reading the code will realize: wait! they just killed the whole protection, because now a single NUL byte infront of the \r\n will bypass it.

Luckily it is not affecting everyone, because at least the Apache SAPI will stop sending the header at the NUL byte, too.
    However everybody running CGI/FastCGI will loose the protection with this.

And that my dear readers is exactly what would happen to the code of Suhosin if it gets merged into PHP. It would be patched by people that do not know exactly what they are doing. And it would be broken. And if I would not sit on every single commit to PHP this would happen, because obviously inside PHP no one cares about reviewing security patches.

And with Suhosin outside of PHP, there is a secondary protection layer around PHP that would have catched this problem: also known as defense in depth.

Regards,
    Stefan
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

28. Post #588
    more php-internals drama, following the drama about the suhosin patch:
    And that'ssssssss.......bad..? Right?!

29. Post #589
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,087 Posts
    "uh... i think this will fix it?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #590
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,196 Posts
    php-internals
    There's your answer ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Portugal Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

31. Post #591
    There's your answer ;)
    Ahh yes, well OBVIOUSLY php-internals..........

...Alright I'll come clean. All I saw was a huge wall of text with a bunch of letters, single quotation marks and the word "header" every 2 to 3 lines - not a clue in the slightest what any of it means.

I just come here for the pretty pictures. :( Can't someone post some pretty pictures?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #592
    I have my first underling now :3 hehehe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

33. Post #593
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,260 Posts

C&C?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #594
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,196 Posts
    I have my first underling now :3 hehehe.
    Oh man you are in for a treat! Here's a handy guide:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 11Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #595
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,238 Posts
    I hate div and div hate me. Why can't I do something as simple as centering two divs that are next to each other?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #596
    Upload Images
    April 2011
    736 Posts
    I hate div and div hate me. Why can't I do something as simple as centering two divs that are next to each other?
    Code:
    <div style="margin: 0 auto;">
      <div class="whatever1"></div>
      <div class="whatever2"></div>
    </div>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #597
    secretly a furry
    April 2011
    2,023 Posts
    Code:
    <div style="margin: 0 auto;">
      <div class="whatever1"></div>
      <div class="whatever2"></div>
    </div>
    You have to set a width to that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

38. Post #598
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,446 Posts
    You could use display:inline-block; and then text-align:center; in the parent div

39. Post #599
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,238 Posts
    Thanks, figured it out.

Edited:
    This is what I've been playing around with, I think I'm gonna try removing the shadow on that banner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #600
    Garry doesn't deserve a penny of my money
    October 2008
    1,169 Posts

Started working on this, login screen is only post worthy bit at the moment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)