1. Post #1

September 2011
    1 Posts
    Yesterday i was playing DarkRP but in the map i saw a lot of Purple/black textures and Errors all around me.
    Some people answered me that it was because i don't actually have CSS or HL2.
    I only have Gmod and TF2 btw.

The question is: which packs or addons i have to download, and where can i find them, to see correctly the "virtual world" around me?
    I mean, where to download props, textures, materials to REPLACE CSS and HL2 in Gmod?

PS:sorry for my english, it's not my first language. Thank you!

2. Post #2
    January 2011
    699 Posts
    You can't. You will have to buy CSS & HL2. Well, not legally anyway. And don't ask how to obtain the models illegally, you'll probably get banned.

Man, I wish it was mandatory that people have HL2(and played it!) to have Garrys MOD. Is it just me or do other people find it very strange when people have Garrys MOD and have never played HL2?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2011
    6 Posts
    Isn't it common sense to, at the very least, get Half-Life 2 before getting Garry's Mod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2010
    6,669 Posts
    Isn't it common sense to, at the very least, get Half-Life 2 before getting Garry's Mod?
    GMOD comes with HL2 materials and props afaik
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    February 2011
    503 Posts
    GMOD comes with HL2 materials and props afaik
    No, it doesn't. Thats why you have to own at least one other source game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,606 Posts
    No, it doesn't. Thats why you have to own at least one other source game.
    No. As far as I believe, GMod ships with content from Half Life 2 (apart from some sounds and maps). I remember when the only 2 games I had on Steam were Counter Strike Source and GMod. I never actually used CSS content because I found the Half Life 2 content a whole lot better. (and there's a lot more).
    Obviously, you can't play Half Life 2 by just buying GMod. You need to buy HL2 in order to use it outside GMod.
    The only real reason you need a Source game is because of licenses and the SDK I believe.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,106 Posts
    No. As far as I believe, GMod ships with content from Half Life 2 (apart from some sounds and maps). I remember when the only 2 games I had on Steam were Counter Strike Source and GMod. I never actually used CSS content because I found the Half Life 2 content a whole lot better. (and there's a lot more).
    Obviously, you can't play Half Life 2 by just buying GMod. You need to buy HL2 in order to use it outside GMod.
    The only real reason you need a Source game is because of licenses and the SDK I believe.
    No, you need to have a source game because Garry's Mod isn't completely standalone, it depends on another game for it's base, hence why it's called Garry's MOD.

There is no legal way to get all of the textures from CSS and Etc without buying it.

Of course, you can go to www.gamebanana.com and get some of the texture replacements, but there are no replacements for alot of the textures.

8. Post #8
    August 2008
    1,847 Posts
    old gmod faq posted:
    Will gmod have the HL2 materials and textures if I have TF2?
    Yes, gmod comes with the HL2 materials and textures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)