1. Post #4321
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    21,060 Posts

Really reminds me of 682
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #4322
    March 2011
    3,424 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

3. Post #4323
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,255 Posts

Really reminds me of 682
    fuck you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4324
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    yes, seriously, that image is fucking terrifying when not expecting it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

5. Post #4325
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2007
    4,333 Posts
    It really isn't that scary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34 (list)

6. Post #4326
    <3
    October 2010
    13,839 Posts
    This is marketable....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #4327
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,983 Posts
    http://sandbox.scp-wiki.net/the-nightmare

Draft deployed. Feedback, please.

Based off an old creepypasta called The Painting. That fucking image terrified me the first time I saw it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

8. Post #4328
    April 2012
    984 Posts
    This was posted in the thread for generally terrifying things, and somebody gave this advice:

oh my god this image is really funny to me

like, every time I see it, I just imagine that demon/monster thing asking "HEY IS THIS MR. SMITHS AP BIOLOGY CLASS??"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

9. Post #4329
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,506 Posts

Draft deployed. Feedback, please.

Based off an old creepypasta called The Painting. That fucking image terrified me the first time I saw it.
    1. The image is off format.
    2. When reading, it's not as scary as it could be. I'll admit, the part where it says "If there are no living subjects in the picture, SCP-XXXX will look directly at the viewer" was a bit chilling, but that way it pops out and follows subjects around seems a little vague. Even though it's supposed to be vague, I didn't really find much reason to be afraid of it.

Still, a pretty cool start.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

10. Post #4330
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    8,810 Posts
    TEST LOG 11-A: D-class subject was left alone with SCP. After fifteen seconds, he blinked. SCP was found clinging to the back of test subjects neck. Subject reports some "Minor bruising"
    SCP-5555J's article posted:
    Test Log 16 (7/11/20██, 9:00 AM)
    Input: SCP-173
    Output: Tiny concrete statue, closely resembling input in vague outline. Paint colors also similar, but arranged such that Mini-173 appears to be wearing makeup. Object is also, inexplicably, wearing glow-sticks and a tall striped top hat.
    Note: Accidentally blinked. Mini-173 tried to strangle my penis. I quit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Late Late x 1 (list)

11. Post #4331
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,153 Posts
    This was posted in the thread for generally terrifying things, and somebody gave this advice:
    Yeah I posted it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

12. Post #4332
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,983 Posts
    1. The image is off format.
    2. When reading, it's not as scary as it could be. I'll admit, the part where it says "If there are no living subjects in the picture, SCP-XXXX will look directly at the viewer" was a bit chilling, but that way it pops out and follows subjects around seems a little vague. Even though it's supposed to be vague, I didn't really find much reason to be afraid of it.

Still, a pretty cool start.

1. Yeah, I know. It's kind of a bitch to figure out the syntax, and after all, this is just the sandbox.

2. That's sort of the feel I was going for, based off the Nothing Is Scarier principle. If the article just flat-out says what happens, it's not really that frightening. It's like the Ring, where it just says "BUT WAIT GOAST GIRL WIL KILLED U IN SVN DAYZ K." It isn't scary at all, primarily because Samara Morgan can easily be thwarted by, I dunno, going somewhere with no reflective surfaces for her to suddenly pop out of, since you know when she's coming for you, right down to the second.
    If you know what happens, you joke to take your uneasiness off, or you start formulating ideas to get out of it, and before you know it, it's not scary at all. It's more scary if you know little about what might happen to you if you fuck around with the object. It's supposed to feel vaguely unsettling at first, when you notice it far away, but as it starts to get closer, the SCP doesn't need any anomalous effects to make someone affected by it want to get somewhere with nowhere to suddenly pop out from Jason Voorhees-style.

13. Post #4333
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,506 Posts
    1. Yeah, I know. It's kind of a bitch to figure out the syntax, and after all, this is just the sandbox.

2. That's sort of the feel I was going for, based off the Nothing Is Scarier principle. If the article just flat-out says what happens, it's not really that frightening. It's like the Ring, where it just says "BUT WAIT GOAST GIRL WIL KILLED U IN SVN DAYZ K." It isn't scary at all, primarily because Samara Morgan can easily be thwarted by, I dunno, going somewhere with no reflective surfaces for her to suddenly pop out of, since you know when she's coming for you, right down to the second.
    If you know what happens, you joke to take your uneasiness off, or you start formulating ideas to get out of it, and before you know it, it's not scary at all. It's more scary if you know little about what might happen to you if you fuck around with the object.
    There's a rule on the foundation site; "Gears Razor: If in doubt, the scarier choice is the better one.
    Also, there is a format example in the site. The image syntax is there which makes it perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

14. Post #4334
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,983 Posts
    There's a rule on the foundation site; "Gears Razor: If in doubt, the scarier choice is the better one.
    Also, there is a format example in the site. The image syntax is there which makes it perfect.
    Link, please. Also, I had no doubts about what I wanted the article to do; as I began to write it, I already had a firm idea in mind about what I wanted it to do. Besides, horror is, ultimately, in the eye of the beholder; different things will scare different people. Some people find the weeping angels from Dr. Who terrifying. I myself have never been really scared of them, or 173 for that matter, because, to me, they seem to be focused on bypassing rational thought and hitting the lizard brain that makes you jump, which is, in my opinion, a really cheap way of creating horror.

15. Post #4335
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,983 Posts
    I suppose my ultimate question is: should I put it on the site? Is it good enough for that?

Edit:

Fuck, broken automerge

16. Post #4336
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,506 Posts
    I suppose my ultimate question is: should I put it on the site? Is it good enough for that?

Edit:

Fuck, broken automerge
    Run it by them first.
    Also, you should have seen this on your first visit;
    http://www.scp-wiki.net/how-to-write-an-scp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #4337
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,926 Posts
    I think it's good enough, but you might want to revise some things such as the horse head's appearance. The Foundation would most likely have at least a very detailed description. Black stallion head, no visible pupils, skin appears stretched and thin/very little flesh on head, emaciated appearance/in early stages of decomposition maybe? Most other articles also have the numerical designation of the storage site written down, so I would put down a number, like Site 207 or something. Otherwise, I can't think of any changes to make. I'd go ahead and submit it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

18. Post #4338
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,983 Posts
    I fixed the image and got rid of the testing log because it was redundant. Any better?

19. Post #4339
    January 2010
    5,188 Posts
    I think it's good enough, but you might want to revise some things such as the horse head's appearance. The Foundation would most likely have at least a very detailed description. Black stallion head, no visible pupils, skin appears stretched and thin/very little flesh on head, emaciated appearance/in early stages of decomposition maybe? Most other articles also have the numerical designation of the storage site written down, so I would put down a number, like Site 207 or something. Otherwise, I can't think of any changes to make. I'd go ahead and submit it.
    it seems to me like descriptions of decaying/desiccated things are the default for scary things, which somewhat cheapens the effect when it's so accumulated. Are there any SCPs that refer to the opposite of death and emaciation, like unnatural weight or proportions or even liveliness? I guess it would be more difficult to implement something being so alive that it's scary, but the proportions thing is generally a good fallback, I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #4340
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    12,153 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

21. Post #4341
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,737 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #4342
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    10,738 Posts
    Why not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

23. Post #4343
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,753 Posts
    If 173 went to prison, Don't Blink.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Dominican Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

24. Post #4344
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,421 Posts
    I would say that SCP really has the same appeal as the Twilight Zone. You get to enjoy a good mindfuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #4345
    July 2010
    1,745 Posts
    I've had this idea for an SCP for a while, and I thought I'd share it.
    Basically, it is a contained virus similar to Happy99,Except named "Happy00". In the first stage, the virus shuts down the user's computer, spreads through E-mails sent by itself, shutting down other comps whilst growing stronger, and finally at the last stage,    spreads to miscellaneous electronic devices. Eventually causing y2k and throwing us back into the dark ages.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #4346
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    17,214 Posts
    So it's a completely normal virus. I mean, even if they didn't have like, 5 computer virus SCPs as it was that isn't even an SCP by any stretch of the imagination
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #4347
    March 2011
    3,424 Posts
    I've had this idea for an SCP for a while, and I thought I'd share it.
    Basically, it is a contained virus similar to Happy99,Except named "Happy00". In the first stage, the virus shuts down the user's computer, spreads through E-mails sent by itself, shutting down other comps whilst growing stronger, and finally at the last stage,    spreads to miscellaneous electronic devices. Eventually causing y2k and throwing us back into the dark ages.   
    If you're doing an essay based on nature, you'll have to outdo mother nature. She's already got the good ones taken. Similarly, you'll have to outdo existing computer viruses. I've never written an SCP before but I'd assume at the very least that a super-virus wouldn't make for a particularly interesting one. There probably needs to be an interesting or creepy spin on it.
    Anyway, if you must write a virus SCP, how about a virus which instils skepticism and a questioning spirit within any computer it infects? What if a computer would accept nothing simply given to it as fact? Perhaps the entirety of mathematics and science which it employs must be proven to it in order to perform certain operations. Maybe, citations and references in papers will require an electronic copy of the work available on the internet in order to confirm the presence of certain quotes. Spreadsheets couldn't really be edited without explaining why the apparently random change would reflect reality, and maybe even that wouldn't work.

It shares properties with other computer viruses in that it will make a computer completely unusable, however, computers infected could be rehabilitated and kept for studying. There could be experiment logs indicating how certain programs act, or how the skeptical programs run with other computer-borne SCPs. That said, virus SCPs suck and this idea really started to suck when I read it out loud to myself.

Edited:

You know what we should do? We should make a virus that forces signal 17 to be sent and then when it is a little window pops up and it says 'We Are Cool Yet!'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

28. Post #4348
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,146 Posts
    Krinkels, you basically described Windows Vista, except instead of useless protection included, it's a virus.

Although a terrifying thought, indeed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #4349
    July 2009
    4,533 Posts
    Have you guys seen the joke SCP we made in the Containment Breach thread yet?

Read this page if you haven't: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1175222/43
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

30. Post #4350
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    scary pic

Really reminds me of 682
    Is this used for any SCPs?

Edited:

Have you guys seen the joke SCP we made in the Containment Breach thread yet?

Read this page if you haven't: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1175222/43
    This is why I love the SCP fanbase
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #4351
    July 2010
    1,745 Posts
    Is this used for any SCPs?

Edited:

This is why I love the SCP fanbase
    Maybe it's SCP-303; The Doorman?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

32. Post #4352
    April 2012
    984 Posts
    Just wondering, how do I add test logs to my SCPs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

33. Post #4353
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,587 Posts
    I really like the SCP wiki, but sometimes shit just gets a little too ridiculous for suspension of disbelief.

If everything on the wiki is to be taken as true, the world has been destroyed three times by three different sources before the SCP brought it back, and then before then it was ruled by magic bigfoots that used birds as cellphones before a trickster god gave man the ability to use the birdphones.

Individually the stories are all nice but all piled up upon each-other they start to get ridiculous.

Weird thing is the Bigfoot article, ridiculous and poorly-written as it is, is one of the highest-rated articles on the site.

I think the site could do with a culling of the more overzealous articles just for continuity's sake.

Edited:

also what the fuck is this

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-686

someone's fetish shit on the site and it's actually highly rated? come on.

Really reminds me of 682
    #spookedmygutsoff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #4354
    April 2012
    984 Posts
    I really like the SCP wiki, but sometimes shit just gets a little too ridiculous for suspension of disbelief.

If everything on the wiki is to be taken as true, the world has been destroyed three times by three different sources before the SCP brought it back, and then before then it was ruled by magic bigfoots that used birds as cellphones before a trickster god gave man the ability to use the birdphones.

Individually the stories are all nice but all piled up upon each-other they start to get ridiculous.

Weird thing is the Bigfoot article, ridiculous and poorly-written as it is, is one of the highest-rated articles on the site.

I think the site could do with a culling of the more overzealous articles just for continuity's sake.
    See the FAQ. The second last question states:

"There is no canon"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #4355
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,587 Posts
    See the FAQ. The second last question states:

"There is no canon"
    ...fair point. Still, I've got a chip on my shoulder about that stupid bigfoot story. Whenever I go reading the SCP wiki, I go in with the mindset of an organization similar in concept to Warehouse 13 crossed with the Men in Black films crossed with Aperture Science. Whenever I come across articles like the Bigfoot ones it kinda throws me off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

36. Post #4356
    April 2012
    984 Posts
    Oh my god.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-50-ae-j

Why didn't I know this one earlier?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #4357
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,587 Posts
    Oh my god.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-50-ae-j

Why didn't I know this one earlier?
    I choose to accept that one in to my interpretation of the SCP. Him and the Butt Ghost.

And the Halloween article.

I really like the idea of Aperture-incompetent SCP. Like the research on Halloween actually made progress in the organization due to a combination of poor communication and worker insanity.

Also all of the articles are read by Cave Johnson.

"Alright boys, we've got this statue locked up in a closet that kills people when you aren't looking at it. Some funny guy thought he'd be clever and put it in the waiting room. Well, taking care of the problem seems pretty straightforward, just don't take your eyes off it and don't blink."

fifteen minutes later

"Alright evidently I didn't get across the message of 'not blinking.' Let me make this clear: don't blink when you're around that thing. It's that simple. Just don't- wait how did it get in here? Greg? GREG?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

38. Post #4358
    April 2012
    984 Posts
    So, um

Just wondering, how do I add test logs to my SCPs?
    Like with this I guess

Edited:

I think of SCP-J as being Aperture incompetent and serious SCP as being (usually) competent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #4359
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,587 Posts
    So, um

Like with this I guess

Edited:

I think of SCP-J as being Aperture incompetent and serious SCP as being (usually) competent.
    I like to think of them as being selectively incompetent. Like mostly the organization is well-managed and perfectly functional, but there are some teams with more than a few screws loose that are overlooked by the higher-ups enough to where things like SCP-031-J can go long enough without landing on the desk of a sane person until the project is over and done with.

In one wing of the building, they're very professionally experimenting on a potentially world-threatening object. In another wing of the building, a team of Doc Brown lookalikes are throwing things at a kid wearing a bedsheet in one of the most expensive observation chambers in the building and nobody's caught them yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #4360
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    10,805 Posts
    Maybe it's SCP-303; The Doorman?
    That one doesn't really make sense, it says that all you have to do to make it leave is open the door, but they never actually do, and as a result its taken over a storage closet and has so far stolen:
    One (1) █████ cryotube
    Three (3) sets of standard Foundation surgical equipment
    █████ ███ █████████████
    Two (2) D-Class research cadavers
    One (1) gasoline-powered generator
    A variety of chemicals, including large quantities of tryptophan, phenylalanine, █████████ and tyrosine, among others
    One (1) container of powdered coffee creamer
    Also the picture looks more like a pumpkin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)