1. Post #1
    May 2011
    1,651 Posts
    If this goes through I'm totally driving to Russia!

The Russian government has given the go-ahead on an ambitious new tunnel project that could connect Siberia with Alaska via an underground rail line. If completed, the $65 billion project will be the longest underwater tunnel in the world, besting the Chunnel between England and France by twice the distance. The planned course would stretch over 65 miles and would snake beneath the Big and Little Diomede Islands. According to Inhabitat, the project will be funded by a private and public partnership. So why build it?

Aside from being a civil engineering marvel, the tunnel would also provide an efficient way to move 100 million tons of freight per year. In addition, the tunnel could provide an easy transmission route for electricity developed by tidal energy stations and wind plants in Russia to Alaska and Canada. In addition, the rail system would complete a high-speed network that could stretch from London to New York City. Unfortunately, the project doesn't seem to be geared toward passenger travel. At least, not for now.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/26/r...bering-strait/

(User was permabanned for this post ("Alt of permabanned user" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 113Late Late x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I still don't get why they just make a bridge, and not a tunnel.
    They can simply make the bridge underground to protect it from weather and such.

Anyway, great news! Looking forward to this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 52 (list)

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    They can simply make the bridge underground to protect it from weather and such.

An underground bridge? Why? It wouldn't have the protection from cave ins and the like that tunnels have
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4

December 2009
    33 Posts
    How would an underground bridge NOT be in a tunnel?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 39Funny x 3Dumb x 2Disagree x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    How would an underground bridge NOT be in a tunnel?
    Simple. Build an underground river for the underground bridge to go over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny x 184Winner x 5Agree x 3Zing x 1Useful x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Why would you drive down a railway tunnel? In a small crushable auto mobile?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)

7. Post #7
    Disregard Flagdog I'm British
    August 2010
    9,234 Posts
    Wait, doesn't Alaska have a lot of earthquakes?

Wouldn't earthquakes damage this tunnel?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    December 2009
    7,494 Posts
    Wait, doesn't Alaska have a lot of earthquakes?

Wouldn't earthquakes damage this tunnel?
    They will build joints along the tunnel to relieve any stress caused by seismic activity. Think thermal stress joints, except much larger.

Edited:

Why would you drive down a railway tunnel? In a small crushable auto mobile?
    Maybe it's a car train?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,346 Posts

I dont understand what you are trying to say? You suggest they build a bridge? but put it underground? there is no ground for it to go under, a bridge would go over the bering strait, there is no land connecting alaska and russia
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    I LOVE NAZIS
    June 2011
    4,513 Posts
    cant wait for some asshole to drill a hole down into the tunnel

Edited:

woot, 1500th post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2009
    1,253 Posts
    I would feel really, really, really bad driving in that tunnel... after watching Daylight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,257 Posts
    Awhile ago they wanted to build a bridge with ice breaking pylons on it. Wonder why they abandoned the bridge for a tunnel, seems like the bridge would be easier and cheaper...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    January 2010
    629 Posts
    Far cry from the days when they used to threaten each other with nukes, no?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    The King Of Zing
    September 2009
    14,856 Posts
    It's cool and all, but wouldn't it be cheaper to just take a ferry across?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2009
    1,253 Posts
    There is a chance of the ferry titanicing, and it would turn out more expensive than a tunnel in the long run I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

16. Post #16
    June 2011
    2,310 Posts
    Read the OP

It's not for passenger travel. It's to make trade between Canada, Russia and the US quicker and more efficient. A ferry takes weeks to do what a train does in a few days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    August 2009
    1,054 Posts
    The Cool Factor heavily outweighs the cost, I feel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Good. I'm sick of always hearing talk about connecting the Bering Strait and no one building anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

19. Post #19
    May 2011
    2,399 Posts
    Next chance I get I will go and take pictures.

20. Post #20
    December 2007
    1,003 Posts
    Who's down for an around the world road-trip when this is finally completed?

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Simple. Build an underground river for the underground bridge to go over.
    That would be so ridiculous that it would almost be downright amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

22. Post #22
    June 2007
    2,754 Posts

Because of boats?

23. Post #23
    May 2010
    347 Posts
    Once the tunnel is complete, Comrade, the invasion can go under way. MUHAHAHAHAHA!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

24. Post #24
    That would be so ridiculous that it would almost be downright amazing.
    It's practical see, like the Panama Canal, it allows boats to get from Russia to the USA.

25. Post #25
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    i don't think it will last that long though because of tectonic plates shifting and shit?

i dunno

but this is awesome

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    816 Posts
    They will build joints along the tunnel to relieve any stress caused by seismic activity. Think thermal stress joints, except much larger.

Edited:

Maybe it's a car train?
    I think it be cheaper to relieve stress by handing out free joints at the entrance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 28Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    7,748 Posts
    I hope there isn't a massive fire in the tunnel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    Connoisseur of Maple Syrup, Guns, and Sex Toys
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    Once this is complete they need to make a tunnel under the Atlantic Ocean connecting London with New York City. Then you literally can ride a train all the way around the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,319 Posts
    If this goes through I'm totally driving to Russia!

The Russian government has given the go-ahead on an ambitious new tunnel project that could connect Siberia with Alaska via an underground rail line. The project doesn't seem to be geared toward passenger travel. At least, not for now.
    Still, even for commercial use, I find this to be badass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,225 Posts
    i bet it'll turn up like boston's big dig

a huge chunk of paneling will fall and kill someone, then it'll leak, russia will be sued, it'll never get finished
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,247 Posts
    Russia only approved it so they could sneak nukes into our country

THE COLD WAR HAS JUST BEGUN
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    September 2009
    12,204 Posts
    This could take a great burden off shipping ports.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    41,752 Posts
    Thanks for updating my late thread

I was going to look for a newer source but it was already off the top of the first page so I didn't care

34. Post #34
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    First 4 replies confuses the fuck out of me.

Anyway, glad to see we're finally connecting continents together. This should make travelling a lot easier for some people (namely ones who are afraid of flying and/or boats).

35. Post #35
    Pig
    January 2009
    505 Posts
    Pointless, you still have drive incredibly far across Siberia to get to act the parts of Russia that aren't ice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,918 Posts
    I'd be down for a road trip. California to Moscow let's do this!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    41,752 Posts
    Pointless, you still have drive incredibly far across Siberia to get to act the parts of Russia that aren't ice.
    High speed passenger rail in the future, maybe.

Edited:

I'd be down for a road trip. California to Moscow let's do this!
    Norway to Florida
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 8Funny Funny x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,477 Posts
    I think that they're building a tunnel instead of a bridge so they don't have to worry about ice and saltwater ruining the materials
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    It's still much faster than putting cargo on a painfully slow ship and sailing across the ocean.

40. Post #40
    DID I MENTION I PLAY BANJO
    July 2010
    7,502 Posts
    And then it gets covered in crab pots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)