1. Post #161
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    14,708 Posts
    Doesn't samba install it's default config file as /etc/samba/smb.conf.default ?
    I got the config back, but it still doesn't work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

2. Post #162
    Terrible Mustache Aficionado
    November 2010
    2,654 Posts
    When I was installing it, my phone crapped out and I had like no documentation whatsoever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

3. Post #163
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    I recommend Clyde instead. Yaourt is coded in Bash so it's very slow, but Clyde is Lua and much faster. Feature-wise it's almost exactly the same.
    I just submitted a pull request for a like ~10 line patch to Clyde :P, it's kind of hacky though dunno if they'll merge it.

4. Post #164
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,694 Posts
    So inexplicably gThumb stopped working. It's my favorite image viewer.

I hadn't been changing settings or anything. It simply stopped working.

Opening in terminal (or attempting to) I get the following error

Code:
    stephen@spc:~$ gthumb

(gthumb:2075): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_get_path: assertion `G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

(gthumb:2075): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(gthumb:2075): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_get_path: assertion `G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

(gthumb:2075): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkTextMark being finalized while still in the buffer; someone removed a reference they didn't own! Crash impending

(gthumb:2075): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
    Segmentation fault
    stephen@spc:~$
    EDIT:

It has inexplicably began to work again after I installed a few new programs to try them out.

5. Post #165
    Dragon Member
    January 2006
    1,312 Posts
    Which distro would you recommend for a server? I'm building my own server, and have used CentOS on a VPS before, but am wondering if there are better alternatives?
    Without some 20 000 step installation, please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,207 Posts
    RHEL is the traditional server Linux.

I think CentOS is RHEL-based?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #167
    Dragon Member
    January 2006
    1,312 Posts
    RHEL is the traditional server Linux.

I think CentOS is RHEL-based?
    Yeah, it is. Should that be fine then?
    I'm used to CellOS and how it works, but if there are definite better choices, I'd be happy to move to those then.

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,207 Posts
    Well if you want you could always try Arch but I hear CentOS is just fine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #169
    Dragon Member
    January 2006
    1,312 Posts
    Alright, I'll keep using CentOS then.
    Is software RAID difficult to set up with it? I'm thinking of having two 1TB drives in RAID 1, as I have a file hosting service and losing the files would be pretty bad for the users. And for my reputation.

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    I'd go with Scientific Linux, it's more up to date, and the developers aren't assholes like CentOS.

11. Post #171
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    17,033 Posts
    If you want up to date, I'd go with Debian stable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

12. Post #172
    September 2008
    872 Posts
    So this may sound dumb because this is my first arch install. I have a problem where my wifi is ether eth0 or eth1 and when it is on eth0 it works fine but when it was on eth1 I had to use run dhcp on every startup. so I gave it a static IP like I did with eth0 and it just does not work now.
    I did the static ip in rc.conf like so: eth0="eth0 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255"
    and the only thing I changes w.as eth0 to eth1 and the IP.

13. Post #173
    October 2009
    1,195 Posts
    Ahem, can I get some advice anytime soon? Please?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

14. Post #174
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    So this may sound dumb because this is my first arch install. I have a problem where my wifi is ether eth0 or eth1 and when it is on eth0 it works fine but when it was on eth1 I had to use run dhcp on every startup. so I gave it a static IP like I did with eth0 and it just does not work now.
    I did the static ip in rc.conf like so: eth0="eth0 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255"
    You should be using wlan0 for wifi. eth0 and eth1 are ethernet ports. The default network daemon is inconsistent when connecting; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I use netcfg, since it's very easy to get working. Since your internet is not working, it could be likely that your router is denying you to lease that IP; dhcp is more easier to use in this case.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events

15. Post #175
    August 2009
    175 Posts
    Hello! About 6 months ago, I became interested in Linux. While it could have gone much, MUCH worse, I ended up erasing Windows and about 10 years' worth of precious memories trying to install Ubuntu. Needless to say, my parents were pretty angry at me.
    Fast forward about a month, and I re-install Ubuntu, and it works. However, I eventually take it off, due to my parents literal FEAR of it, but mostly because it slow and took up a bunch of space on my hard drive that I needed for my vidya games. During this period, I started trying to figure more about how the magical computarbot worked. I learned a decent amount, and burned a couple cds of different distros to try them out a bit, and figure out which one I wanted.
    Unfortunately, before I could do anything, my cd drive decides it and the BIOS aren't very good friends anymore. It has a habit of doing this occasionally, but that's a story for another time. Anyways, I keep on learning small amounts, such as how Linux is a kernel, not an OS, and how much I should shut up.
    Very recently, however, I learned about virtualization and all that good stuff. Right now, I'm running Arch and Crunchbang through VMware. It's been an interesting experience, learning to use an OS that isn't Windows. I've only used a Mac once before, and all I did was play crappy flash games for about half an hour.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #176
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,008 Posts
    You should be using wlan0 for wifi. eth0 and eth1 are ethernet ports. The default network daemon is inconsistent when connecting; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I use netcfg, since it's very easy to get working. Since your internet is not working, it could be likely that your router is denying you to lease that IP; dhcp is more easier to use in this case.
    In an ideal world maybe. I've seen wireless interfaces named wlanX, raX, wifiX, and ethX.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

17. Post #177
    July 2009
    1,267 Posts
    Here's how to fix this:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php..._names_varying

The second option is better IMO. The part after the -OR-

Edited:

I would also recommend using eth0 for your lan and wlan0 for your wireless.

18. Post #178
    November 2007
    11,694 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,207 Posts
    "Shit was so cash" is actually rather hilarious when done properly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

20. Post #180
    October 2009
    1,095 Posts
    After I decided that I didn't want to use Vista anymore on my older PC, I tried Ubuntu for the first time, rather liked it after getting used to it.

It's something fresh that I can try out for awhile.

Just one question, is there any simple way of running .Run files? Can't find it anywhere for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

21. Post #181
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,880 Posts
    After I decided that I didn't want to use Vista anymore on my older PC, I tried Ubuntu for the first time, rather liked it after getting used to it.

It's something fresh that I can try out for awhile.

Just one question, is there any simple way of running .Run files? Can't find it anywhere for some reason.
    Mark it as executable (right click/properties), then run it through the terminal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events

22. Post #182
    July 2009
    1,267 Posts
    You would preferably want to do this in a terminal since some .run files are CLI only.

All you need to do is.
    Code:
    cd path/to/directory/with/runfile/
    chmod +x yourrunfile.run
    ./yourrunfile.run

23. Post #183
    November 2007
    11,694 Posts
    So-o, deciding that having all my computers generate an entirely new local IP every time the router lost power, I looked into it, and set a static IP for three of my computers. All three are wired by Ethernet to the router, not wireless.

[list][*]192.168.1.10 is my PC in my room (spc.local)[*]192.168.1.30 is the second family PC (fpc2.local)[*]192.168.1.100 is my home server (ssv.local)[/list]
    I looked up on a forum that I could do this by editing /etc/network/interfaces, as such:

Code:
      GNU nano 2.2.6         File: /etc/network/interfaces                          

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.100
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    However, there is another computer, the FIRST family PC, which is connected wirelessly (All other computers are wired by Ethernet). I'd like to set it to 192.168.1.20.

Going to its /etc/network/interfaces, there is no auto eth0. In fact, it just stops after the loopback. Do I just add an eth0? Or no, because eth0 is Ethernet and not wireless?

24. Post #184
    June 2008
    1,243 Posts
    Wireless is a little less straightforward because there's also the matter of which AP to associate with, and the password needed to do so, and /etc/network/interfaces isn't the place for that. You could configure wpa-supplicant by hand, but it'd be better to use NetworkManager instead of /etc/network/interfaces for this. It's the applet that you (should) see in your tray, that gives you a list of wireless networks when you click on it; right-click and pick "edit connections", and you can change the IP settings.

Why do you need static IPs though? It's simpler to have everything autoconfigure via DHCP. Most routers let you do "static DHCP", where the router recognizes a machine by its MAC address and always assigns it the same IP, which basically gives you static IPs without having to configure them individually on each machine. And if you install Bonjour for Windows, or Avahi (which is probably already installed) on Linux systems, you can refer to other machines by "<machinename>.local" and not even have to care what the IP is.

25. Post #185
    November 2007
    11,694 Posts
    Ok, well in the meantime I had a minor crisis involving Grub not working, but that's settled. Now, using Network Manager like you said, I have all four IPs set up. Thanks!

Regarding why, I will tell you that my router is an ancient Belkin home-use piece of shit, maybe 8 years old. I don't think it'll support static DHCP, and I can't check at the moment because it's erroring up about a nonexistant other administrator. Dammit.

When it works with virtual servers and port forwarding, it only works by local IP address, so every time the power went out it was changed, and I had to change effing everything. Now, everything is so nice and neat, hostnames and everything!

Speaking of hostnames, I did know that you could use hostname.local, but that didn't work with Windows for me, but I said who gives a shit anyhow, I never use it. But now I can look into Bonjour!

26. Post #186
    June 2008
    1,243 Posts
    Windows doesn't do .local by default; Bonjour adds support for it. (Apple calls it "Bonjour Print Services" these days, but it does more than provide access to printers; it's an implementation of mDNS.)

27. Post #187
    November 2007
    11,694 Posts
    I got the most wonderful transparent PNG desktop background. I'm wondering if there is a way to slowly or randomly change the color behind the desktop background in Ubuntu.

Some other time. I REALLY need to go to bed, I've been saying that for 7 hours now.

28. Post #188
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I got the most wonderful transparent PNG desktop background. I'm wondering if there is a way to slowly or randomly change the color behind the desktop background in Ubuntu.

Some other time. I REALLY need to go to bed, I've been saying that for 7 hours now.
    There's a script someplace (on the net) that'll enable the backgrounds to very very slowly fade into different colors, depending on the time of the day. It's not f.lux, and worked with backgrounds in Ubuntu only, but I can't remember it..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

29. Post #189
    November 2010
    2,263 Posts
    Hi, newbie here.
    I have a small useless webserver running and I wanna update the html files, so I ftp in and try uploading. NOPE permission denied. Can't overwrite existing files either.
    How do I configure it to work?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

30. Post #190
    Creator of Exsto
    January 2009
    1,049 Posts
    Does anyone play Minecraft or any other OpenGL game with a compositor running? For me, it works perfectly fine until I start alt tabbing between the game and like, Chrome. After a while, it slows down extremely and alt tabbing between Chrome and Minecraft takes a good 15-30 seconds. Then I get massive desktop corruption, screen flashes, and eventually x.org freezes up.

Anyone else have that issue/a resolution?

31. Post #191
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,207 Posts
    Does anyone play Minecraft or any other OpenGL game with a compositor running? For me, it works perfectly fine until I start alt tabbing between the game and like, Chrome. After a while, it slows down extremely and alt tabbing between Chrome and Minecraft takes a good 15-30 seconds. Then I get massive desktop corruption, screen flashes, and eventually x.org freezes up.

Anyone else have that issue/a resolution?
    Running Cairo Composite Manager, can't say I've had that problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

32. Post #192
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,751 Posts
    Does anyone have any experience in using Samba4 (the alpha version) to host an Active Directory domain controller on Linux?

33. Post #193
    November 2007
    11,694 Posts
    Hi, newbie here.
    I have a small useless webserver running and I wanna update the html files, so I ftp in and try uploading. NOPE permission denied. Can't overwrite existing files either.
    How do I configure it to work?
    If you have a Website, go to your profile and have it show up next to your name!

However I'm no expert on FTP to be honest. I don't use it when updating my Website, I just use a short shell script I wrote that uses wget (HTTP download from command line) to update my server from my home computer.

34. Post #194
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    I use SSH to put files on my server.
    Scp for one off stuff, and rsync for websites.

35. Post #195
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,244 Posts
    Quick question:

Should I use Windows partitioner or Ubuntu installer partitioner to partition?

36. Post #196
    November 2007
    11,694 Posts
    I use SSH to put files on my server.
    Scp for one off stuff, and rsync for websites.
    TBH I use wget.

I have a tiny, tiny shell script on my server and another on my home PC that zips up the ENTIRE website on my development site on my home computer, places it within the webroot directory, and then SSHes into the server and activates ITS shell script.

The server shell script downloads the archive, then unzips, moves into place.

I didn't know about rsync up until now. Huh. I'll have to look into it

Edited:

Quick question:

Should I use Windows partitioner or Ubuntu installer partitioner to partition?
    Ubuntu installer partition will do everything fine. It has more features than the Windows partitioner, due to support for MANY more filesystem types (ext2, ext3, ext4, xfs, jfs, reiserfs...)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    TBH I use wget.

I have a tiny, tiny shell script on my server and another on my home PC that zips up the ENTIRE website on my development site on my home computer, places it within the webroot directory, and then SSHes into the server and activates ITS shell script.

I didn't know about rsync up until now. Huh. I'll have to look into it
    The server downloads from your home computer? That wouldn't work for me because I have a dynamic IP at home. Well it would work, but I'd have to change the IP in the script once in a while, and I can't be arsed to do that. I can't be arsed to use DynDNS either.

You don't necessarily have to use rsync, but you could use scp to transfer the zip file.

Code:
    scp local.zip remoteserver.com:/home/user
    It's just like cp over SSH.

38. Post #198
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    17,033 Posts
    TBH I use wget.

Are you deleting the system after the transfer?
    Because I'm seriously tempted to look around a bit on your website.

39. Post #199
    November 2007
    11,694 Posts
    The server downloads from your home computer? That wouldn't work for me because I have a dynamic IP at home. Well it would work, but I'd have to change the IP in the script once in a while, and I can't be arsed to do that. I can't be arsed to use DynDNS either.

You don't necessarily have to use rsync, but you could use scp to transfer the zip file.

Code:
    scp local.zip remoteserver.com:/home/user
    It's just like cp over SSH.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    cd ~/website
    rm -r *
    wget http://spc.local/ws.7z
    p7zip -d ws.7z
    cd /var/www
    rm -r /var/www/*
    cp -r ~/website/* ./
    rm -r ~/website/*

There is the portion of the shell script on my server. The reason I do it like this is so that I can execute one command from my home computer, and enter a single password (to ssh into my server to execute the server's shell script), and it's all done. One command that asks for one password.

Plus it clears the directory before updating the files, which is nice.

Note that my server is here at home with me. I don't do anything serious with it so whatever. Link to my totally non-serious website is on the left.

Also, regarding dynamic IPs:

I THINK I'm supposed to have a dynamic IP. But for as long as I can remember, it's bee 70.94.237.175. So maybe I DO have a static IP. It's never changed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #200
    March 2011
    620 Posts
    I want to recreate this:

Him posted:
    From the other side of the colour spectrum.

http://ompldr.org/tOHZ1aQ http://ompldr.org/tOHZ1ag

@demian

Earlier on, you asked for the themes, here they are. Wallpapers and .Xdefaults are included with all.
    Gray Circles, Gray Fractal, and Muted Dream Tree (irssi theme included).
    But I just installed awesome, how would I go about doing that, and what are the music player and irc called in the first image?