1. Post #321
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,609 Posts
    Not totally sure what you meant RedReaper, but I tried out what you said. Did not work sadly. I'll try a bit more.

Edited:

That's my first last and probably worst pageking I'll ever manage to do.

Edited:

Tried adding quite a lot of weight (300+) to the wheels. It actually got them quite a lot more stiff due to the weight and they seem to be handling the stress a lot nicer. Thanks RedReaper.
    Still having bugs but less, so some help would still be appriciated. (video on page 8)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #322
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    More weight. Reinforce with advanced ballsocket.

Some shitty tutorial. My computer's built-in mic makes everything sound like a goddamn chipmunk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #323
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,609 Posts
    RedReaper posted:
    Tried adding some weight here and there and reinforced the wheels by ballsocketing them together. Worked a bunch better but it still collapses if higher speeds are reached. Would be awesome if you could specify on where the testing-vehicle I made should be heavier and where you should ballsocket it properly.

Having fun with the tutorial you posted. Great stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #324
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    Tried adding some weight here and there and reinforced the wheels by ballsocketing them together. Worked a bunch better but it still collapses if higher speeds are reached. Would be awesome if you could specify on where the testing-vehicle I made should be heavier and where you should ballsocket it properly.

Having fun with the tutorial you posted. Great stuff.
    Thank you!

How much are your wheels, how much is your master, and how much is your total mass? I generally, as a rule of thumb, go for a 4:2:1 ratio--400 base prop, 200 master, 100 wheels, or 600 base prop, 300 master, 150 wheels, etc. I tweak the wheel weight lower when I can, due to wheel hop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #325
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,609 Posts
    Thanks for your help, it really seemed to get it working a whole lot more properly. But sadly even after following everything you said, it keeps failing when 1 wheels hits something while the other one does not. Or just trying to turn in higher speeds.

If just there was a method to get the axis more stiff. It's the axis on the wheels being really sloppy (as shown in the video).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #326
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    Adv ballsocket. Place on outside of the wheel to the spindle if you have a spindle, settings -180/180,-0.01/0.01,-0.01/0.01, nocollide check, freemovement no. Whether spindleless or not, use the same settings, freemovement YES, to the steering master. I'm not sure why you're having problems exactly...did you follow a basic suspension tutorial?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #327
    January 2011
    78 Posts

Some shitty tutorial. My computer's built-in mic makes everything sound like a goddamn chipmunk.
    Sometimes I can hear your normal voice but then occasionally it starts sounding like you have peas in your nose
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #328
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    Sometimes I can hear your normal voice but then occasionally it starts sounding like you have peas in your nose
    Yup.

9. Post #329
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    that's pretty neat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #330
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,609 Posts
    Got it RedReaper. Adding weight to the spindle did the trick, the wheels stopped collapsing! Love you man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #331
    July 2010
    2,560 Posts
    Oh my fucking god you're all so gay it's MY GOD RAINBOWS ARE ATTACKING

(User was banned for this post ("Flaming / Trolling" - Big Dumb American))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 10Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #332
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    880 Posts
    Sorry, my bad. it keeps returning the error:

did i do something wrong?
    My bad, sorry. Forgot:

Code:
    @inputs GPS:vector

Bearing=entity():bearing(GPS)+180
    this should do the trick.

13. Post #333
    August 2009
    1,128 Posts
    My bad, sorry. Forgot:

Code:
    @inputs GPS:vector

Bearing=entity():bearing(GPS)+180
    this should do the trick.
    You can also do it entirely within the e2.

Code:
    Roll = Body:toLocal(Crank:angles()):roll()
    As long as you localize the angle to something else on the contraption(the main parent would be good), it will work when the contraption changes angles. No need for a gps.

14. Post #334
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,609 Posts
    Quickly smashed this together to test the steering mechanism.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #335
    January 2011
    78 Posts

you're getting better and better :bravo:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #336
    May 2011
    822 Posts

Good idea to run it through a smoother with a high rate of change. This means that you can tap steering without it lurching to far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #337
    July 2010
    74 Posts
    You know what this thread and the old thread lacked? TRAKTORS!

The idea behind this traktor is simple: make traktor.

It has no engine and suspension yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Lithuania Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

18. Post #338
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,609 Posts
    That traktor looks amazingly awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product!

In the meantime, I think I'll try to make a little more simple tractor. Something like a Fergusson.

19. Post #339
    Quality over quantity.
    August 2010
    880 Posts

I would suggest not using a "physical" steering using axis but rather a ballsocket steering. works much better and reduces a lot of lag.

other than that, Good job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #340
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,536 Posts

Great to see your contraptions improving! Now we just need to teach you the wonderful ways of parenting.

21. Post #341
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts
    TRAKTOR!

It has no engine and needs no suspension.
    Tractors don't usually have suspensions. But I like it. It looks really good so far.

Edited:

I would suggest not using a "physical" steering using axis but rather a ballsocket steering. works much better and reduces a lot of lag.

other than that, Good job.
    Edited:

If you wanted a copy, I released it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

22. Post #342
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,062 Posts
    applyTorque walking chip on a WH40k Dreadnought.

Not enough stuff to really put in a new thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #343
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,817 Posts

The first two of a collection of small 30-60 prop ACF fighters I'm working on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

24. Post #344
    May 2011
    822 Posts

This is how I've been doing brakes if anyone is interested. There is probably a better way of doing it with E2, but seeing as i don't know E2...

25. Post #345
    May 2010
    3,734 Posts

This is how I've been doing brakes if anyone is interested. There is probably a better way of doing it with E2, but seeing as i don't know E2...
    that's actually pretty clever. weld latches might work better though.

26. Post #346
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    that's actually pretty clever. weld latches might work better though.
    Weld latches just lock up the wheel and you skid/spin out, these will slow you down more gradually, like disc brakes, but you han do an emergency stop by doing a "handbrake" which is basically locks the whole wheel assembly with a weld latch. I also developed an ABS system that works with the system in the picture, if the wheels suddenly stop when the speed is still above X amount then it turns the brakes off. But reapplies them as soon as they start spinning meaning that the traction is generally kept and you don't skid out.

27. Post #347
    Ask Me About My VW Beetle Fetish
    March 2008
    9,897 Posts
    You know what this thread and the old thread lacked? TRAKTORS!

The idea behind this traktor is simple: make traktor.

It has no engine and suspension yet.
    I like it

but turn that rear wheel around... it's the wrong way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #348
    May 2010
    3,734 Posts
    Weld latches just lock up the wheel and you skid/spin out, these will slow you down more gradually, like disc brakes, but you han do an emergency stop by doing a "handbrake" which is basically locks the whole wheel assembly with a weld latch. I also developed an ABS system that works with the system in the picture, if the wheels suddenly stop when the speed is still above X amount then it turns the brakes off. But reapplies them as soon as they start spinning meaning that the traction is generally kept and you don't skid out.
    i mean weld latch instead of grabber
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #349
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    i mean weld latch instead of grabber
    Oh right, Actually come to think of it, I've just been really stupid not using a weld latch. It's strange how you just forget about using a certain tool that is much more suited to the task at hand. Thank you!
    What would really make it perfect would a form of variable axis friction so as not to kick the brakes in, but let it ease into its full power, say in about 0.3 seconds. which would simulate a pedal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #350
    July 2010
    74 Posts
    I like it

but turn that rear wheel around... it's the wrong way
    Actualy I've put 2 wheels on the side to see where to build shit around them. So it didn't matter then.

31. Post #351
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,609 Posts
    Was searching for the web since I ran out of car models. (found a bunch at my grandfathers house; most of those things are from the 60's made by Techno).
    This actually looks like an interesting build in GMod.

32. Post #352
    Ask Me About My VW Beetle Fetish
    March 2008
    9,897 Posts
    Actualy I've put 2 wheels on the side to see where to build shit around them. So it didn't matter then.
    Well now you know when you're actually putting wheels on it

33. Post #353
    August 2008
    516 Posts
    There is probably a better way of doing it with E2, but seeing as i don't know E2...
    Did you try wire clutch?

Oh wait its still broke isn't it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #354
    April 2011
    848 Posts
    Mr Sharps and Bigwig were making an awesome mech today and i got inspired to make some sort of warhammer looking mech suit of my own. i dont think it looks so good yet but maybe when its done it'll look nice. i thought one side could have a flame thrower and the other one a big hammer thing. oh and the head will obviously not stay in the finished thing.

Hammer weapon.

tell me how i did and what to change :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #355
    Dennab
    June 2010
    2,040 Posts

I tried to do that so many times and it just never worked quite right. Nice work :golfclap: I've been using RPM governers on vehicles, so I just kill the RPMs to brake.

Edited:

marciuZx's profile picture looks like me lol

36. Post #356
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    I tried to do that so many times and it just never worked quite right. Nice work :golfclap: I've been using RPM governers on vehicles, so I just kill the RPMs to brake.

Edited:

marciuZx's profile picture looks like me lol
    Took me a while but perseverance pays off.

Just finished building a v12 engine. 678 HP at 530 RPM. Going to make an old-school 1960's F1 car with it, maybe a lotus 72. Engine weighs around 500 kg however, need to experiment with power output while reducing the engine weight overall. I want my F1 car to have at least 700 hp per tonne.

37. Post #357
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,609 Posts
    Having the infamous problem with PHX wheels going into the ground when x speed is reached. Is there actually a PHX wheel that doesn't go directly through the earth?

Edited:

Also, is there actually a duplicator better working that Wiremod's "Advanced Duplicator" and TB's? TB's sure work better but it's still far from perfect. Advanced duplicator would as usual just bug up everything.
    I heard that TB is remaking his actual duplicator but if anyone has a better working duplicator, please do tell. Having problems saving bigger stuff is driving me crazy.

38. Post #358
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    Having the infamous problem with PHX wheels going into the ground when x speed is reached. Is there actually a PHX wheel that doesn't go directly through the earth?

Edited:

Also, is there actually a duplicator better working that Wiremod's "Advanced Duplicator" and TB's? TB's sure work better but it's still far from perfect. Advanced duplicator would as usual just bug up everything.
    I heard that TB is remaking his actual duplicator but if anyone has a better working duplicator, please do tell. Having problems saving bigger stuff is driving me crazy.
    Get the lua wheel.

39. Post #359
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,609 Posts
    Already have, works like a charm. The thing is, I'd love to be able to drive my cars on public servers. Spawning the car with this type of wheel will most likely cause an error since I yet have to find a server with the lua wheel. Or just spawn the car without wheels.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

40. Post #360
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    For christ's sake. i wish constraints where actually solid, i cant keep my engine weight below 700 kg unfrozen and it outputs even then only 400hp. Is there a parenting stool that actually keeps the constraints (ie rope,axis,sliders) on the parented prop?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)