1. Post #1
    Dennab
    March 2010
    1,625 Posts
    There is a large thread movement on the steam user fourms about a certain glitch found in the full version of Portal 2 where in after the Valve logo plays and the source engine trade mark has finished the game sits on one of the two loading screens of P-Body and Atlas or Chell and Glados. After about 5-20 seconds the game shuts down with no warning and I am left staring blankly at the desktop.

Is anyone having the same problem?

Is there a way to fix said problem?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2010
    830 Posts
    so what's your video card

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    March 2010
    1,625 Posts
    Nvidia GTX 285

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,030 Posts
    Verify Game Cache, Update Video Card Drivers, Update C++, Update DirectX

In that order

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    March 2010
    1,625 Posts
    Verify Game Cache, Update Video Card Drivers, Update C++, Update DirectX

In that order
    Verifing the game cache tells me that 1 file is currupt and it re-aquires. Even after 4 times it still finds the file after the verify.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    March 2010
    1,625 Posts
    Alright, now instead of going straight to desktop it just sits there on the loading screen. Cnt Alt Del and it says Portal 2 isnt responding. I did this a couple of times and got an AVG warning to I let it unblock and am now verifing cache and deling some folders to refresh aswell as shuting of AVG, I will report back once I have done this.

This did'nt work.

EDIT: Now its just back to no error message.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    8,027 Posts
    Alright, now instead of going straight to desktop it just sits there on the loading screen. Cnt Alt Del and it says Portal 2 isnt responding. I did this a couple of times and got an AVG warning to I let it unblock and am now verifing cache and deling some folders to refresh aswell as shuting of AVG, I will report back once I have done this.

NOEP
    I had 1 corrupted file when i installed Portal 2, but verifying the game files fixed it for me. I believe it was the valve logo video that was corrupted.

8. Post #8
    Dennab
    March 2010
    1,625 Posts
    I had 1 corrupted file when i installed Portal 2, but verifying the game files fixed it for me. I believe it was the valve logo video that was corrupted.
    Yeah, as I said before re-aquiring the corrupt files prompts most people with this bug that the files had been re-aquired. Whilst they actualy havent. People have such as my self can click on verify cache files 100+ times and it will keep repairing that same file to no avail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,581 Posts
    Gah, I had this problem with my laptop. The only solution for me was playing it on a PC that worked.

10. Post #10
    Saged, Hidden, Reported, Filtered & Called the cops
    June 2008
    4,308 Posts
    Having a similar problem, but instead it's when it's done loading single player or cooperative. Already tried re-installing, letting it through firewall, turned off antivirus, verifying integrity etc.

11. Post #11
    Creator of Exsto
    January 2009
    1,049 Posts
    Theres a thread on steampowered talking about this; it has to do with the filesystem Portal 2's content is based on, as far as I know. Everyone using Portal 2 with WINE has this issue, as well as Windows users with Portal 2 installed onto a fat32 partition, etc.

12. Post #12
    Ask me about my everything fetish.
    August 2006
    3,497 Posts
    Disable your desktop so it has nothing to crash to and thus stays ingame? I'm a genius.

In all seriousness, a friend of mine has this problem too. I hope it gets resolved quickly. :keke:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    A friend of mine also has this. Do we know what filesystems don't cause this? He has Steam on his external HD, but I could probably help him reformat it if it would fix it.