1. Post #961
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,513 Posts
    Start cooking then, this place needs more posters
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #962
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    very good eggs

let me guess, low and slow and butter? Seasoned before or after? Cooked like a risotto?
    Thanks, yeah low and slow, on the heat, off the heat and never stop stirring, butter at the start, seasoning after its cooked.

I hear chives work well in there too, I must get hold of some.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #963
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,606 Posts
    Thanks, yeah low and slow, on the heat, off the heat and never stop stirring, butter at the start, seasoning after its cooked.

I hear chives work well in there too, I must get hold of some.
    Ohoh, are you doing Gordon Ramsay's method? I tried it once and it was god damned golden.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

4. Post #964
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    Ohoh, are you doing Gordon Ramsay's method? I tried it once and it was god damned golden.

Yes! I didn't have any chives though!

5. Post #965
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,606 Posts
    Chives are easily one of my favorite condiments, I put that shit everywhere, or I used to, running a nutrition plan because I'm on my cutting cycle so I can only eat limited stuff.

Also I had to use Crme Sure because I couldn't find Crme Fraiche in store even though I'm French and I live in Quebec, fuck logic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #966
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,088 Posts
    Start cooking then, this place needs more posters
    I can't cook anything, so I'd contribute garbage, compared to the eyecandy around here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #967
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,513 Posts
    I can't cook anything, so I'd contribute garbage, compared to the eyecandy around here.
    Guess how you learn?

Anyways I made a roast chicken with sweetcorn spoonbread, braised red cabbage, and mushroom ragout

Unfortunately I don't have a camera, so no pictures

8. Post #968
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,960 Posts
    they give a nice onion flavour, but they can be difficult to cut fine and not bruise them.

Edited:

I really love potting herbs around the house and outside, gives the house a lovely herb smell and its nice not having to buy herbs constantly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #969
    March 2011
    1,864 Posts
    they give a nice onion flavour, but they can be difficult to cut fine and not bruise them.

Edited:

I really love potting herbs around the house and outside, gives the house a lovely herb smell and its nice not having to buy herbs constantly.
    Agreed. Last summer I had some basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, and oregano plants. This summer I plan to devote an entire section outside my bedroom to all kinds of herbs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #970
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,513 Posts
    I'm thinking about making a little window hydroponics setup for herbs and maybe some greens, some potted plants would be easier tho

11. Post #971
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts

Edited:

When spring arrives this year I want to grow my own herbs as well as a few veggies! Maybe a chilli plant too.

12. Post #972
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,960 Posts
    Garlic is great to grow as all it needs is dry soil. Growing tomatoes is great too as they're easy to manage, root veg is generally decent too.

I like to be semi independent in my house and being able to provide for myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #973
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,606 Posts
    How do you guys cook nuts? Because I'm on my cutting cycle, I make my own food and I found that I really suck at cooking anything that's not meat or spaghetti.

I tried Broccolis in the cooking pan with some salt & pepper and like a cup of water to help it (I'm limited in what I can eat) and they cooked decently, could have let them in for a little bit longer but I think I did the mistake of putting the almonds in at the same time as my broccoli so now my almonds are a bit watery and bloated.

14. Post #974
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,960 Posts
    Nuts? Low heat on a pan and let their natural oils release, you'll know they're cooking because you can smell them. Yes putting the nuts in the water was not a good idea but you live and learn, the nuts should act as a topping to finish the meal really if you are making a saucy or 'wet' dish.

If you ever get stuck on something or think its risky, its best to quickly youtube or google to see some results, just to make sure you won't ruin your meal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #975
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,606 Posts
    Nuts? Low heat on a pan and let their natural oils release, you'll know they're cooking because you can smell them. Yes putting the nuts in the water was not a good idea but you live and learn, the nuts should act as a topping to finish the meal really if you are making a saucy or 'wet' dish.

If you ever get stuck on something or think its risky, its best to quickly youtube or google to see some results, just to make sure you won't ruin your meal.
    Yeah, my only problem is I have very limited time to cook my stuff and they're not meals I can just cheat on and stuff or all the hard work of the past weeks I've been cutting will be down the drain, so I just kind of threw the almonds in with the broccoli and called it a day.

16. Post #976
    Pine nuts is good with broccoli
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events

17. Post #977
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,606 Posts
    Pine nuts is good with broccoli
    I'm sure they are, unfortunately I've got a macronutrient quota to hit without going past my caloric maintenance ceiling limiting me to certain food and stuff.

18. Post #978
    Picture Perfect Pixie

January 2013
    342 Posts

Velveeta. Because it's 11pm and I need comfort food every now and then ♥
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #979
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,960 Posts
    Yeah, my only problem is I have very limited time to cook my stuff and they're not meals I can just cheat on and stuff or all the hard work of the past weeks I've been cutting will be down the drain, so I just kind of threw the almonds in with the broccoli and called it a day.
    Have you tried using multiple pans? One to cook wet ingredients and one to cook dry?

Edited:

I like that type of pasta, makes great quick meals.

20. Post #980
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts

I understand that is pasta, but what is the sauce? It looks tasty.

21. Post #981
    Picture Perfect Pixie

January 2013
    342 Posts
    It's Velveeta cheese sauce. A sort of wonderfully gooey, sticky cheese that makes everything taste wonderful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

22. Post #982
    It's Velveeta cheese sauce. A sort of wonderfully gooey, sticky cheese that makes everything taste wonderful.
    Recipe?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #983
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,606 Posts
    Looks like Kraft Dinner cheese.

24. Post #984
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    I attempted a cheese sauce for the first time yesterday, It didn't look as good as that! Recipe please!

25. Post #985
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,960 Posts
    Recipe?

I attempted a cheese sauce for the first time yesterday, It didn't look as good as that! Recipe please!
    what went wrong?

26. Post #986
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts

what went wrong?
    I don't think anything really went wrong, it tasted ok, looked like what I imagine a cheese sauce would be. I just have never eaten one before so I couldn't tell you if it was wrong or right.

27. Post #987
    Chief of facepunch medical staff
    December 2006
    18,467 Posts
    not strictly my food, but every thursday morning me and my flatmates go to our swedish friends pad for pancakes before uni! sometimes we mix it up with scones and smoothies instead, but generally we stick to american style with some fruit, nutella and bacon and maple syrup. and i was unsure at first about the bacon and maple syrup, i thought it was just some silly OMG BACON GOES WITH EVERYTHING but it really does work, i recommend it!

and it's always my job to chop the fruit!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

28. Post #988

September 2007
    398 Posts
    quinoa with sun dried tomato pesto, crumbled feta cheese and fresh basil along with these lovely little baby seedless peppers! they're sweet just like a normal bell pepper and because they don't have seeds you can just bite straight into them!

That looks really good. I've seen a lot of your posts. Good content. Are you a vegetarian?

29. Post #989
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    7,837 Posts
    That looks really good. I've seen a lot of your posts. Good content. Are you a vegetarian?
    Look up one post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #990
    December 2006
    18,467 Posts
    like Apache249 said... no i'm not :P

but i have plenty of meat/fish free days, and actually aside from turkey mince (for these bad boys) there's not really any meat or fish i eat on a very regular basis. [sub]oh, apart from 2 rashers of bacon on thursdays...[/sub]

i enjoy it, but if someone really believes that a meal isn't a meal without meat then they're probably not getting a very balanced diet, which is something i think i have. i eat a lot of eggs, cheese, rice (and recently quinoa), and not so much processed carbs like bread and pasta (though i do indulge sometimes!) and of course plenty of vegetables and some fruit too! eat better, feel better - works everytime
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #991
    March 2011
    1,864 Posts
    Well said, Autumn. You and I are in the same culinary boat, it seems.

32. Post #992
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    22,688 Posts
    i usually eat meat and occasionally something with
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #993
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    like Apache249 said... no i'm not :P

but i have plenty of meat/fish free days, and actually aside from turkey mince (for these bad boys) there's not really any meat or fish i eat on a very regular basis. [sub]oh, apart from 2 rashers of bacon on thursdays...[/sub]

i enjoy it, but if someone really believes that a meal isn't a meal without meat then they're probably not getting a very balanced diet, which is something i think i have. i eat a lot of eggs, cheese, rice (and recently quinoa), and not so much processed carbs like bread and pasta (though i do indulge sometimes!) and of course plenty of vegetables and some fruit too! eat better, feel better - works everytime
    Turkey burgers look interesting.

I think I have an unbalanced diet, I usually eat meat/fish with most things, I am actively trying to improve my diet, I had a cabbage and Stilton soup today, it was tasty, but the smell of the cheese always gets me, I think I would change the cheese next time. Might upload a photo later.

34. Post #994
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    9,091 Posts
    I put myself on a diet called "LCHF" a while back. Stands for Low Carb High Fat, pretty much all I eat is meat, cheese and vegetables (mostly lettuce and paprika).

I love it.

Edited:

Anyway I'd post a picture of what I'm eating right now but it's too late, it's been 90% eaten already.

I made chicken breast (in the oven) and cauliflower-mash with some mayo and loads of lettuce and paprika.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

35. Post #995
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    I put myself on a diet called "LCHF" a while back. Stands for Low Carb High Fat, pretty much all I eat is meat, cheese and vegetables (mostly lettuce and paprika).

I love it.

Edited:

Anyway I'd post a picture of what I'm eating right now but it's too late, it's been 90% eaten already.

I made chicken breast (in the oven) and cauliflower-mash with some mayo and loads of lettuce and paprika.
    Whats the benefit of such a diet?

36. Post #996
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    9,091 Posts
    Whats the benefit of such a diet?
    Weight loss. Started out 5 months ago at 135kg, I'm now at ~117kg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #997
    December 2006
    18,467 Posts
    weight loss, primarily. and or just a different style of eating, that's actually probably much better suited to our bodies than the insane amount of processed carbs we're led to believe we need every day.

the idea is that it changes your bodys primary source of fuel from glycogen (sugar stores mostly from your liver) to the fat reserves your body has. you'd have to stick with it for at least a week or so each time for it to have any effect at all, and obviously the longer you really stick to it the more difference it'll make. i think it's meant to be more of a lifestyle change than a diet, per se, because if you just follow it for x amount of time before going back to your old eating habits it probably won't make any lasting difference.

you're just switching from your body getting it's energy from the carbohydrates you're eating on a short term basis (eat carbs > get energy > use up the energy > feel tired/hungry > eat carbs > get energy etc.) to it using fat as the primary energy source, because if you've depleted your glycogen stores and aren't digesting more sugar, then of course your body will turn to the fat stores - and bingo, weight loss! you've just then gotta make sure you keep up your fat intake once you reach a healthy fat level otherwise your body will go looking elsewhere for that energy (but you'd have to be eating pretty much nothing for that to happen, so it's not really a concern)

i've tried it for a bit, but even though it is tasty (bacon and eggs for every breakfast, you'd better believe it!) i find it quite expensive and not the easiest to do on a student budget, so i tend to have 4-5 vegetarian/low fat days in a week and 2-3 high protein/fat days (that on top of that the majority of my meals are fairly low carb anyway, pasta is a very rare treat, but a small bread roll with soup is acceptable to me) and the protein actually fills you up like crazy, so you can get away with a (relatively) low calorific intake even with high fat. that's where those turkey burgers come in handy for me, i'll have about 170g turkey mince per serving, with a dollop of low fat creme fraiche and served with some steamed green beans, comes in at a little under 400kcal and will fill me up for most of the day, maybe with some healthy soup for dinner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #998
    Picture Perfect Pixie

January 2013
    342 Posts
    I lost over 100lbs on a similar diet, fwiw. Except being vegetarian makes it pretty awful. But it does work~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

39. Post #999
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    786 Posts
    weight loss, primarily. and or just a different style of eating, that's actually probably much better suited to our bodies than the insane amount of processed carbs we're led to believe we need every day.

the idea is that it changes your bodys primary source of fuel from glycogen (sugar stores mostly from your liver) to the fat reserves your body has. you'd have to stick with it for at least a week or so each time for it to have any effect at all, and obviously the longer you really stick to it the more difference it'll make. i think it's meant to be more of a lifestyle change than a diet, per se, because if you just follow it for x amount of time before going back to your old eating habits it probably won't make any lasting difference.

you're just switching from your body getting it's energy from the carbohydrates you're eating on a short term basis (eat carbs > get energy > use up the energy > feel tired/hungry > eat carbs > get energy etc.) to it using fat as the primary energy source, because if you've depleted your glycogen stores and aren't digesting more sugar, then of course your body will turn to the fat stores - and bingo, weight loss! you've just then gotta make sure you keep up your fat intake once you reach a healthy fat level otherwise your body will go looking elsewhere for that energy (but you'd have to be eating pretty much nothing for that to happen, so it's not really a concern)

i've tried it for a bit, but even though it is tasty (bacon and eggs for every breakfast, you'd better believe it!) i find it quite expensive and not the easiest to do on a student budget, so i tend to have 4-5 vegetarian/low fat days in a week and 2-3 high protein/fat days (that on top of that the majority of my meals are fairly low carb anyway, pasta is a very rare treat, but a small bread roll with soup is acceptable to me) and the protein actually fills you up like crazy, so you can get away with a (relatively) low calorific intake even with high fat. that's where those turkey burgers come in handy for me, i'll have about 170g turkey mince per serving, with a dollop of low fat creme fraiche and served with some steamed green beans, comes in at a little under 400kcal and will fill me up for most of the day, maybe with some healthy soup for dinner.
    Thanks for the informative reply. Bacon and eggs for breakfast sounds brilliant! I like to poach the egg because it tastes clean and fresh so it cuts through the fattiness of the bacon, oh and add some tomatoes because they also add to the freshness.

I have never tried a diet, I have never (luckily) needed to diet, if anything I needed to put weight on and I managed two stone in nearly two years!

But I am considering changing my diet to benefit my body because when I do any form of exercise I just go with some friends to the pub and grab a beer and eat something fatty afterwards. I want my body to be able to build upon the exercise with the right intake of nutrients and fats and whatever else is good for my body. Maybe switch from beer to vodka and rum.

Not sure what diet I need yet, I'll most likely Google it but any advice from people are welcome.

40. Post #1000
    November 2009
    9,540 Posts
    not strictly my food, but every thursday morning me and my flatmates go to our swedish friends pad for pancakes before uni! sometimes we mix it up with scones and smoothies instead, but generally we stick to american style with some fruit, nutella and bacon and maple syrup. and i was unsure at first about the bacon and maple syrup, i thought it was just some silly OMG BACON GOES WITH EVERYTHING but it really does work, i recommend it!

and it's always my job to chop the fruit!
    What kind of bacon is that? Looks more like a pork chop or something... Wonder if I can find that in the States.
    -
    In true college fashion, I'm working on a Ramen-based lunch menu. Seven different dishes, all based on ramen, and cheaply prepared.

Most of the stuff's just loose copies of traditional Italian food on a budget, but I've come up with some more interesting ideas as well. For instance, preparing the ramen so it's sort of squishy, but still in block form, frying it in a pan with some oil, butter, seasonings, and using the resulting "patty" as you would a hamburger.

I am very, very broke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)