1. Post #41
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,480 Posts
    You never see anyone asking people to cut the Windows computer talk do you?
    We have kept it civil so far...
    Except MacTrekkie will blindly defend Mac no matter what everyone else says
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    As a wise man once said: Never ask Fatfatfatty for computer advice
    Dennab
    March 2009
    13,456 Posts
    I am planning on getting an used laptop cheap and install ubuntu on it.

inb4 "hurp durp u cant install ubuntu "
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,640 Posts
    Aha, found one model of the laptop I had/ have one of these bastards. It's so bulky, so horrendously slow, that it can barely run Windows XP, which it was bundled with. I think it is actually on its way out, the battery life is atrocious, it takes ages to read anything from disk. My main reason for installing some form on Linux was so that it would be usable to some extent, even that has failed.

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    I am planning on getting an used laptop cheap and install ubuntu on it.

inb4 "hurp durp u cant install ubuntu "
    No need to, Your title says it all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 7 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    2,421 Posts
    Alienware should be removed from the list. It's true their warranties and support is fantastic, they even have a call center in puerto rico instead of India or some other stupid shit like other companies do. But it doesn't matter the laptops have good warranties, because guess what they'll still break right afterwards when it expires. I know a bunch of people with them and they break constantly, they're not worth the trouble.

Macs are nice, eat a dick. I wouldn't trade my MBP for any other laptop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    Alienware should be removed from the list. It's true their warranties and support is fantastic, they even have a call center in puerto rico instead of India or some other stupid shit like other companies do. But it doesn't matter the laptops have good warranties, because guess what they'll still break right afterwards when it expires. I know a bunch of people with them and they break constantly, they're not worth the trouble.

Macs are nice, eat a dick. I wouldn't trade my MBP for any other laptop.
    You could probably trade it for two laptops. If I could find a second hand black MBP somewhere, I would probably buy it (if I had the money).

7. Post #47
    August 2010
    5,489 Posts
    Laptops are ass, use a desktop

(User was banned for this post ("Trolling" - PLing))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #48
    I am the greatest
    October 2010
    730 Posts
    I bought a laptop cause I want my computer mostly wherever I am. Although I treat it as a desktop too. Is that bad?

9. Post #49
    Dennab
    November 2010
    4,519 Posts
    A computer is a computer, whatever [works/is comforable] for you is best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    November 2009
    1,359 Posts
    The G50 is ridiculously old. I'm on a G53Jw right now, and it has had no faults whatsoever. Asus is a reputable brand.
    I was never aware three years was "ridiculously old".
    I would call my old 16-bit computer unequipped with a hard drive or maybe even my commodore Amiga "ridiculously old" - but the G50V still handles modern games fine.

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,663 Posts
    Question: Whats the cheapest laptop with a screen around 10.1 inches? Specs: will be used (mainly) to browse the internet,and play flash games (hopefully anyways, IMO my grandma is a gamer...), and have DVI or HDMI output. ION graphics BIG BIG BIG advantage

FYI: This laptop is going to be used in India by my grandmother. She has a projector for a TV, and will usually hook up the laptop to the projector. Also she wants move about with, and it must not be too big. Good looks do not matter, battery life does
    The Asus Eee 1215N should be good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,508 Posts

HP Mini 311 on the right
    Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz
    3GB DDR3 RAM
    NVIDIA ION GPU
    160GB HDD

Mid-2010 Macbook Pro on the left
    Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHz
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Intel Integrated GPU w/ 256MB VRAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 330m w/ 512MB VRAM
    500GB HDD

I love both of them very much

13. Post #53
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,103 Posts
    I'm a fan of the IBM PC110 Palmtop.

They are prety much the smallest thing you can call a laptop at 116mm long, 158mm wide and 36mm tall.

Mine was overclocked to 40mhz from 33mhz, has 8mb ram, and sports a 2gb Compact Flash card that acts like an SSD.
    It also uses regular camcorder batteries so buying new batteries is piss easy.

On the mac side I love the Powerbook DUO 2300.

It's got a 100mhz 603e, 32mb, and an 8gb IDE drive that's running system 7.6.
    It's like the Macbook Air in that it has only three ports on it and no optical drive but it plugs into a docking station which converts it into a full-blown mac with NuBus slots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 7Late Late x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,663 Posts

They are prety much the smallest thing you can call a laptop at 116mm long, 158mm wide and 36mm tall.

Mine was overclocked to 40mhz from 33mhz, has 8mb ram, and sports a 2gb Compact Flash card that acts like an SSD.
    It also uses regular camcorder batteries so buying new batteries is piss easy.
    I'd like to see what companies could do with that form factor with modern technology.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,459 Posts

:smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    March 2010
    528 Posts
    tobisha qosmio x505
    hell yes
    http://imgkk.com/i/i5ek.jpg

17. Post #57
    July 2010
    2,434 Posts
    Wait, 25% malfunction rate for HP laptops within 3 years? Eh, just bought a Compaq for 350.

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    I'd like to see what companies could do with that form factor with modern technology.
    It'll probably end up almost like current smartphones, just with a QWERTY keyboard and as a clamshell format.
    That said, I would be interested in one.

19. Post #59
    Dennab
    July 2010
    1,133 Posts
    thinking about replacing my desktop with a laptop since all i ever do any more is browse the internet and listen to music
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,103 Posts
    It'll probably end up almost like current smartphones, just with a QWERTY keyboard and as a clamshell format.
    That said, I would be interested in one.
    The Lifebook is pretty damn close but it's the keyboard that kills them.
    You can not type worth a god damn.

21. Post #61
    September 2009
    426 Posts
    tobisha qosmio x505
    hell yes
    http://imgkk.com/i/i5ek.jpg
    It's a damn friggin huge laptop. If you just look at it, it looks just like any other laptops, but when you actually hold and came in contact with it, it's pretty huge. I didn't realize it until I hold one. Surprisingly, it's not THAT heavy for a 18.4 inch. It's still tolerable. I heard it's a GTS 350M right? (or GTS 360M). Not bad but still slightly weaker than the GTX 260M which has been around for some time.

22. Post #62
    January 2009
    1,053 Posts
    Still rocking the Thinkpad T41. It's pretty much indestructible, and the 1.6GHz Pentium M, 32MB Radeon 7500 (DX7) and 2GB RAM is decent enough for Word, light coding and RCT.

If I had money to buy another laptop, I'd probably buy either another Thinkpad or a netbook.

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Still rocking the Thinkpad T41. It's pretty much indestructible, and the 1.6GHz Pentium M, 32MB Radeon 7500 (DX7) and 2GB RAM is decent enough for Word, light coding and RCT.

If I had money to buy another laptop, I'd probably buy either another Thinkpad or a netbook.
    Thinkpad should be a Synonym for "portable tank"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    272 Posts
    I think macbooks are good laptops but they need to work on the pricing. I remember paying $1000 for the lowest end model.

Edited:

that broke in a year

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,850 Posts
    Sony Vaio user represent.
    Specs:
    i3 330M
    4GB RAM
    500GB WD Scorpio

It runs really well, and the battery life is acceptable. The keyboard is great! Really, like really fucking awesome. Sony's service is very good too. If you have got a warrenty or insurance, that is. Otherwise it's cheaper to do it yourself. I've only used it once (When my buddy spilled coke in the keyboard), and it was home the day after payment. This is pretty great, as they both picked it up personally, and brought it home repaired. They had it in for 2 weeks, as we were working it out with our insurance company. If we wouldn't pay, they would just bring it back home, for free too. And that's pretty great considering that they literally drove it up to our front door, after getting it home from 2000KM away in one day. Other than that, this is a great laptop. It's not aluminum, but really, I don't care. It was the best price/performance, at the time.

26. Post #66
    July 2010
    2,434 Posts
    Ah god, turns out the seller made a mistake and doesn't have the laptop I wanted after all.

Any recommendations for a laptop in the range of 300-360? I want to use it for word processing, programming and playing lighter games (think minecraft).

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    11,155 Posts
    The Asus Eee 1215N should be good.

28. Post #68
    October 2010
    2,253 Posts
    I changed my IBM Thinkpad T42's (:iia:) fan and processor. It takes 3 seconds more to boot up

Edited:

I took the fan and processor from my brother's broken Thinkpad T43
    (he broke the screen)

Edited:

My laptop is a Thinkpad T42,5 now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Id get a macbook pro if i had the money but if i wanted bang for my buck id go asus.

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,663 Posts
    Ah god, turns out the seller made a mistake and doesn't have the laptop I wanted after all.

Any recommendations for a laptop in the range of 300-360? I want to use it for word processing, programming and playing lighter games (think minecraft).
    Check out some of the new laptops that use AMD's Zacate / Fusion chips.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    hey
    August 2006
    6,067 Posts

god damn it i want one of these

32. Post #72
    July 2010
    2,434 Posts
    Check out some of the new laptops that use AMD's Zacate / Fusion chips.
    Couldn't find any on the ol' amazon. They've mainly got low-end intel CPUs in the price range I was looking at.

I've ordered this laptop.

Aside from the rather weak processor it seems good, and I need it predominantly for schoolwork so it doesn't have to be great.

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,022 Posts
    My MacBook is perfect for what I use it for. School and web design.

I still hate it though. Spent way too much fucking money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    December 2009
    8,368 Posts
    I want a netbook pretty bad. Maybe instead of my end of the year desktop upgrade I'll get one.

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    5,721 Posts
    HP G71-340us, can mysteriously run minecraft at 50fps with 128x texture packs with ubuntu and openbox installed.
    dell Latitude E5510 can run at 175 with up to 32x, XP installed. Would run even better with linux, but it's not my laptop. The g71 gets the exact same FPS no matter what i'm doing, it's freaky.
    I've had the HP for almost 2 years now, so I have no clue where you're getting those failure rates from.

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    HP G71-340us, can mysteriously run minecraft at 50fps with 128x texture packs with ubuntu and openbox installed.
    dell Latitude E5510 can run at 175 with up to 32x, XP installed. Would run even better with linux, but it's not my laptop. The g71 gets the exact same FPS no matter what i'm doing, it's freaky.
    I've had the HP for almost 2 years now, so I have no clue where you're getting those failure rates from.
    it's "only" 25% of the HP laptops requiring service in one way or another.
    It can be anything from small nit picky details, to a completely dead motherboard.

37. Post #77
    March 2010
    1,493 Posts
    Maybe the laptop megathread will know this better. I'm looking for a laptop for light gaming (Source games), video/sound editing, MS Office, and web browsing. I would like a bit of customization. Are there any websites where I can do that? I've looked at HP and Dell and used their customizers.

38. Post #78
    October 2008
    912 Posts
    Just ordered an acer aspire one AO 522:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
    I was debating between that and a macbook for the longest time, in the end I couldnt justify paying >$1000 for a 2nd laptop.

39. Post #79
    December 2009
    8,368 Posts
    Maybe the laptop megathread will know this better. I'm looking for a laptop for light gaming (Source games), video/sound editing, MS Office, and web browsing. I would like a bit of customization. Are there any websites where I can do that? I've looked at HP and Dell and used their customizers.
    Budget?

40. Post #80
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,103 Posts

god damn it i want one of these
    They don't use a dedicated graphics chip so you are stuck with an Intel IGP on the CF-18 at least.
    Unless you do stuff that is particularly rough on other laptops, I don't recommend you get one.